[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

OT: Family of Charlotte Shooting Victim Releases Video!
Author Thread
nixluva
Posts: 55243
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 10/5/2004
Member: #758
USA
9/24/2016  7:14 PM
izybx wrote:
nixluva wrote:
izybx wrote:But nix, as we both know, young black men are more likely to commit crimes than any other ethnic group, and therefore are more likely to face police contact. This isn't the fault of the police. It's a societal problem, and when municipalities try to hamstring the police with draconian discipline and unreasonable policy it doesn't work. Look at Chicago and Baltimore. The place is falling apart because the cops can't work

The greater socio economic issues are what need to be addressed. The police departments across the country can't be held accountable for what is wrong.

I wonder how much of those statistics on crime involved drugs. In the hood there are so many police and they stop cars with Black kids all day every day. Meanwhile there are way fewer cops patrolling white neighborhoods and stopping cars full of white kids. It's what can skew the crime statistics when you make a ton of arrests for minor stuff.

I agree that cops are asked to deal with way too much crap that is caused by socioeconomic problems. This is why I work in underserved communities and try to help young people as much as I can.

Crime stats are based on the seven major crime complaints:
Murder
Rape
Robbery
Felony assault
Burglary
Grand larceny
Grand larceny auto

These categories are how crime is tracked, and they are deliberately chosen to prevent the skewed statistics that you referenced. Now where crime is high, officers are deployed and (traditionally) expected to perform enforcement. So this is why Brownsville has more cops than the upper east side. I sit in on crime strategy meetings, believe me, no one cares about the demographic of where we send officers. All we care about are "hot spots" of crime, and how we will address them.


That's good to know but it doesn't change the ramifications of all the extra cops leading to more encounters over mundane things and not Murders and Rapes. The issues with a lot of these troublesome police shootings are occurring with non violent encounters and traffic stops rather than Police responding to a violent incident. No one has an issue with Police doing their job stopping crime but there have been too many unarmed people getting shot. You know the situations like a Tamir Rice or Terrence Crutcher.

AUTOADVERT
gunsnewing
Posts: 55075
Alba Posts: 5
Joined: 2/24/2002
Member: #215
USA
9/24/2016  7:35 PM
How can someone with a brain injury own a gun and driver license? The actions of these? I'm so confused
gunsnewing
Posts: 55075
Alba Posts: 5
Joined: 2/24/2002
Member: #215
USA
9/24/2016  7:40 PM    LAST EDITED: 9/24/2016  8:04 PM
Nevermind. Another case of not complying even after being tasered first
gunsnewing
Posts: 55075
Alba Posts: 5
Joined: 2/24/2002
Member: #215
USA
9/24/2016  8:04 PM
Only one cop had their bob camera turned on or are they protecting the cop who pulled the trigger? This is ridiculous.

As far as I know the cop turns on the camera when making a traffic stop. In that case I can understand not turning it on in the heat of the moment. Or is in turned on when they put the uniform on?

newyorknewyork
Posts: 27056
Alba Posts: 1
Joined: 1/16/2004
Member: #541
9/24/2016  8:04 PM
gunsnewing wrote:How can someone with a brain injury own a gun and driver license? The actions of these? I'm so confused

Its not a fact that he had a gun. The family denies that he had a gun. The wife's live recording has her stating that he has no weapon. I'm pretty sure she would remember if they had a registered gun in the car. North Carolina is also an open carry state. Police have supposedly released their video footage.

Charlotte, North Carolina (CNN)

[Breaking news update at 7:42 p.m.]
An attorney for the family of the Charlotte man killed by police earlier this week says the question remains as to whether officers were justified in shooting Keith Scott. Justin Bamberg told reporters there is no definitive evidence in police videos released Saturday that speaks to whether Scott had an object in his hand.
[Breaking news update at 7:35 p.m.]
Dashboard camera footage provided by authorities in the police-shooting death of Keith Lamont Scott shows a police vehicle approach the scene where a plainclothes officer already has a weapon drawn on Scott. Moments later a uniformed officer joins the first officer's position behind a truck. Someone shouts "drop the gun" several times before Scott exits his car. While walking backwards, Scott is shot several times by police officers.

[Breaking news update at 7:16 p.m.]
A camera worn by a uniformed Charlotte police officer shows him running up to the encounter between other officers and Keith Scott. The officer with the camera moves next to a white truck and pauses next to a plainclothes officer before running around to his left. As the officer passes a gap between vehicles Scott is visible, with his right arm by his side. The next time Scott is seen, he is lying on the ground with five officers converging on him. There is no audio for the first 25 seconds of the video and none of the shots is heard. CNN is asking police whether the tapes have been selectively edited, either in audio or video.

[Breaking news update at 7:02 p.m.]
Charlotte police on Saturday released a photo of a pistol it says Keith Scott had on him when he was shot earlier this week by a plainclothes officer. The department also included photos of an ankle holster and what it said was a marijuana cigarette.

gunsnewing
Posts: 55075
Alba Posts: 5
Joined: 2/24/2002
Member: #215
USA
9/24/2016  8:08 PM
First I hear this guy hasn't been tickets in over a decade. Then I hear he has a long criminal history. All this after the city has already been burned down.

Something is very wrong with this country

newyorknewyork
Posts: 27056
Alba Posts: 1
Joined: 1/16/2004
Member: #541
9/24/2016  8:16 PM
gunsnewing wrote:Only one cop had their bob camera turned on or are they protecting the cop who pulled the trigger? This is ridiculous.

As far as I know the cop turns on the camera when making a traffic stop. In that case I can understand not turning it on in the heat of the moment. Or is in turned on when they put the uniform on?

As much as the police believe they are doing what is necessary live in real time. They should be eager to have their cameras on to protect themselves and justify their actions.

These circumstances ALWAYS seem shady though. ALWAYS something to it. Nonchalant about getting medical attention, contradicting statements, suspect activity around the crime scene, police camera not turned on or malfunctioning, suspicious cover up activity/behavior throughout the department.

If these shootings are justified why is the follow up almost always suspect?

gunsnewing
Posts: 55075
Alba Posts: 5
Joined: 2/24/2002
Member: #215
USA
9/24/2016  8:30 PM
and no sound on the little video they had! Yet the sound came through perfectly clear on his wife's cell phone camera!

If all they had were these pathetic videos then why take so long to release it?

This is yet another prime example of how F'd up this country is becoming. No different than the Hillary cover ups.

We are truly doomed.

This incompetent officer might've just put the final nail in coffin as far as this country's future is concerned.

Hillary will win. Violent crime and terrorism will skyrocket as the good cops and authorities are neutered. Like Chicago, Baltimore & Europe

nixluva
Posts: 55243
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 10/5/2004
Member: #758
USA
9/24/2016  9:12 PM
gunsnewing wrote:and no sound on the little video they had! Yet the sound came through perfectly clear on his wife's cell phone camera!

If all they had were these pathetic videos then why take so long to release it?

This is yet another prime example of how F'd up this country is becoming. No different than the Hillary cover ups.

We are truly doomed.

This incompetent officer might've just put the final nail in coffin as far as this country's future is concerned.

Hillary will win. Violent crime and terrorism will skyrocket as the good cops and authorities are neutered. Like Chicago, Baltimore & Europe

WTF MAN??? You need to stay off of Info Wars cuz you are trippin hard!!!

martin
Posts: 46304
Alba Posts: 106
Joined: 7/24/2001
Member: #2
USA
9/24/2016  9:34 PM
gunsnewing wrote:and no sound on the little video they had! Yet the sound came through perfectly clear on his wife's cell phone camera!

If all they had were these pathetic videos then why take so long to release it?

This is yet another prime example of how F'd up this country is becoming. No different than the Hillary cover ups.

We are truly doomed.

This incompetent officer might've just put the final nail in coffin as far as this country's future is concerned.

Hillary will win. Violent crime and terrorism will skyrocket as the good cops and authorities are neutered. Like Chicago, Baltimore & Europe

Dude, you need to stick to one topic at a time and not conflate to very different topics with very inflammatory language.

Please cut it out. I have no problem with very informed discussion on these OT current events, but please keep on point.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
gunsnewing
Posts: 55075
Alba Posts: 5
Joined: 2/24/2002
Member: #215
USA
9/24/2016  9:46 PM
nixluva wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:and no sound on the little video they had! Yet the sound came through perfectly clear on his wife's cell phone camera!

If all they had were these pathetic videos then why take so long to release it?

This is yet another prime example of how F'd up this country is becoming. No different than the Hillary cover ups.

We are truly doomed.

This incompetent officer might've just put the final nail in coffin as far as this country's future is concerned.

Hillary will win. Violent crime and terrorism will skyrocket as the good cops and authorities are neutered. Like Chicago, Baltimore & Europe

WTF MAN??? You need to stay off of Info Wars cuz you are trippin hard!!!

Info Wars?

CrushAlot
Posts: 55237
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 7/25/2003
Member: #452
USA
9/24/2016  9:51 PM
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/779820724525600769
Police video and more background. Just awful. As Nix said, no effort at all to deescalate the situation.
I think we know what we're doing..... Phil Jackson
gunsnewing
Posts: 55075
Alba Posts: 5
Joined: 2/24/2002
Member: #215
USA
9/24/2016  10:26 PM
At least they can't blame white people for this one. Oh wait some already did.

This country needs a complete overhaul. Start over from scatch

DrAlphaeus
Posts: 23751
Alba Posts: 10
Joined: 12/19/2007
Member: #1781

9/24/2016  10:38 PM
gunsnewing wrote:At least they can't blame white people for this one. Oh wait some already did.

This country needs a complete overhaul. Start over from scatch

Jeez dude, relax. Why are your reactions so catastrophic?

Baba Booey 2016 — "It's Silly Season"
nixluva
Posts: 55243
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 10/5/2004
Member: #758
USA
9/24/2016  11:48 PM    LAST EDITED: 9/24/2016  11:49 PM
DrAlphaeus wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:At least they can't blame white people for this one. Oh wait some already did.

This country needs a complete overhaul. Start over from scatch

Jeez dude, relax. Why are your reactions so catastrophic?

Sometimes we need to step back and keep things in perspective. I spent today with my wife, sons, daughter in law and grandson. It was a beautiful sunny day. We went out and ate, shopped, played... gave little man a bath. Put him to bed. Perfect day.

gunsnewing
Posts: 55075
Alba Posts: 5
Joined: 2/24/2002
Member: #215
USA
9/25/2016  12:06 AM    LAST EDITED: 9/25/2016  12:07 AM
https://www.facebook.com/NowThisNews/videos/1172851976138258/
Rookie
Posts: 23509
Alba Posts: 28
Joined: 10/15/2008
Member: #2274

9/25/2016  6:54 AM
You wan't to talk about social issues, but your day didn't end with you laying face down in a parking lot in a pool of your own blood. Your day had a perfect ending and it is no accident. The underlying social issues that placed Scott in that parking with a gun and narcotics in a state of mind where he was unresponsive to police is the issue that no one is talking about. It is not just a black thing, it is a white thing also. Black people do not have a monopoly on unemployment, substance abuse and hopelessness. It is an American problem.

Let's just follow a hypothetical here. Let's assume what Scott's wife said is true, that they were picking up their kid at the school bus stop. How does rolling up and smoking a blunt in the car set up the rest of the day for success? Were they then planning to head to the park and have some family activity before heading home to supervise a school study and homework session while the adults prepare a family meal? Then maybe some productive family free time before heading to bed because everyone is up early the next day since it's a weeknight and everyone has school and work in the morning?

Nix, you should be asking why your perfect day was no accident. The choices you made that led to this perfect ending of family bliss, and not just the choices you made that day but likely for your entire life.

Unemployment, hopelessness, lack of education (by choice and laziness), drug addiction and generally having nothing productive to do on a daily basis leads to bad endings. What happens to the children growing up in these homes? It's a never ending cycle and it's a lot easier to blame the world instead of taking personal responsibility for those making bad choices and creating a home environment where their kids can't flourish.

nixluva wrote:
DrAlphaeus wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:At least they can't blame white people for this one. Oh wait some already did.

This country needs a complete overhaul. Start over from scatch

Jeez dude, relax. Why are your reactions so catastrophic?

Sometimes we need to step back and keep things in perspective. I spent today with my wife, sons, daughter in law and grandson. It was a beautiful sunny day. We went out and ate, shopped, played... gave little man a bath. Put him to bed. Perfect day.

holfresh
Posts: 38679
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 1/14/2006
Member: #1081

9/25/2016  8:25 AM
I saw the video of the North Carolina shooting..I didn't see a gun but Lamont Scott looked like he had a gun, he was walking like he was holding a gun..He simple didn't look like a person backing away from a conflict...He had an object in his right hand. I can't fault the police here...
newyorknewyork
Posts: 27056
Alba Posts: 1
Joined: 1/16/2004
Member: #541
9/25/2016  8:44 AM
Rookie wrote:You wan't to talk about social issues, but your day didn't end with you laying face down in a parking lot in a pool of your own blood. Your day had a perfect ending and it is no accident. The underlying social issues that placed Scott in that parking with a gun and narcotics in a state of mind where he was unresponsive to police is the issue that no one is talking about. It is not just a black thing, it is a white thing also. Black people do not have a monopoly on unemployment, substance abuse and hopelessness. It is an American problem.

Let's just follow a hypothetical here. Let's assume what Scott's wife said is true, that they were picking up their kid at the school bus stop. How does rolling up and smoking a blunt in the car set up the rest of the day for success? Were they then planning to head to the park and have some family activity before heading home to supervise a school study and homework session while the adults prepare a family meal? Then maybe some productive family free time before heading to bed because everyone is up early the next day since it's a weeknight and everyone has school and work in the morning?

Nix, you should be asking why your perfect day was no accident. The choices you made that led to this perfect ending of family bliss, and not just the choices you made that day but likely for your entire life.

Unemployment, hopelessness, lack of education (by choice and laziness), drug addiction and generally having nothing productive to do on a daily basis leads to bad endings. What happens to the children growing up in these homes? It's a never ending cycle and it's a lot easier to blame the world instead of taking personal responsibility for those making bad choices and creating a home environment where their kids can't flourish.

nixluva wrote:
DrAlphaeus wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:At least they can't blame white people for this one. Oh wait some already did.

This country needs a complete overhaul. Start over from scatch

Jeez dude, relax. Why are your reactions so catastrophic?

Sometimes we need to step back and keep things in perspective. I spent today with my wife, sons, daughter in law and grandson. It was a beautiful sunny day. We went out and ate, shopped, played... gave little man a bath. Put him to bed. Perfect day.

Non of the choices he made in this instance based of the information that we know at this moment should have lead to his death.

newyorknewyork
Posts: 27056
Alba Posts: 1
Joined: 1/16/2004
Member: #541
9/25/2016  8:51 AM
holfresh wrote:I saw the video of the North Carolina shooting..I didn't see a gun but Lamont Scott looked like he had a gun, he was walking like he was holding a gun..He simple didn't look like a person backing away from a conflict...He had an object in his right hand. I can't fault the police here...

His main flaw was not coming out with his hands up and attempting to slowly lay on the ground. I can't speak for the officers but I don't feel that he presented any real tldanger to them. Their were multiple officers. They had taken cover behind their vehicles. The man walked out of the car like they requested. When he turned his head to witness all the different officers present is when they took him as a threat. With all that said was there a need for the multiple guns shots with the shoot to kill mentality? Would a shoulder/leg shot not be a more appropriate action in this instance?

OT: Family of Charlotte Shooting Victim Releases Video!

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.com All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.