[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Lance Stevenson for the minimum?
Author Thread
Kemet
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6148

8/28/2016  4:38 PM
By not talking Lance Stephenson into signing a one yr minimum contract to be the energy 6th man depth off the bench alongside Jennings makes me believe ...Dolan / Phil / Jeff Horn are not really interested in having a successful winning 2016-17 season
AUTOADVERT
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
8/28/2016  10:00 PM
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

8/29/2016  9:56 AM
has anyone seen anything from a legit news source yet? I definitely think he's coming to NY but there are two teams...
Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
8/29/2016  10:06 AM
SupremeCommander wrote:has anyone seen anything from a legit news source yet? I definitely think he's coming to NY but there are two teams...

Just saw this -

¿ △ ?
earthmansurfer
Member: #858
Germany
8/29/2016  10:29 AM
Kemet wrote:By not talking Lance Stephenson into signing a one yr minimum contract to be the energy 6th man depth off the bench alongside Jennings makes me believe ...Dolan / Phil / Jeff Horn are not really interested in having a successful winning 2016-17 season

Is it so simple? You conveniently don't mention the problems Lance has had prior (Was it choking and dragging a woman down some stairs or something like that). I mean I know the guy has mostly been good lately and I would like him on the team, but to chalk this up to A - Signing him means we want to win and B - Not signing him means we don't want to win, seems a bit... incomplete? What about him potentially ruining team chemistry? Not that he will, but Phil and company are pretty good judges or character and talent. Phil did a lot with Rodman so he is open to it...

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. Albert Einstein
CrushAlot
USA
8/29/2016  1:35 PM
CrushAlot
USA
8/29/2016  1:37 PM
Lance Stephenson will work out for the Pelicans.
The free agent has had a quiet offseason because not many teams have shown interest. The Pelicans were in the mix for Ty Lawson before he chose the Kings, so they're serious about adding some additional depth to their bench. If the Pelicans agree to a deal with Stephenson, he will be competing with Buddy Hield, Langston Galloway and E'Twaun Moore for minutes. Aug 29 - 1:21 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nba/1744/lance-stephenson
Finestrg
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1069

8/29/2016  2:09 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/29/2016  2:13 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
Lance Stephenson will work out for the Pelicans.
The free agent has had a quiet offseason because not many teams have shown interest. The Pelicans were in the mix for Ty Lawson before he chose the Kings, so they're serious about adding some additional depth to their bench. If the Pelicans agree to a deal with Stephenson, he will be competing with Buddy Hield, Langston Galloway and E'Twaun Moore for minutes. Aug 29 - 1:21 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nba/1744/lance-stephenson

I just saw this too. On vacation but I've been googling the dude's name every few hours to see if there are any developments. lol

So what'd ya think? Left NY and supposedly took down 'NBA free agent' on his profile (Facebook?)...Some reporter on Twitter followed it up by saying, "a workout doesn't necessarily mean a signing" which is true. Do the Pels have more than the minimum to offer? That could be an issue too--money. Pels also added a lot of guards/wings this summer. I know our backcourt's crowded too but just sayin'. Is he even a fit there? Surprised Indy's not making a big play to get him back..

ChuckBuck
Alba Posts: 11
Member: #3806
USA
8/29/2016  3:03 PM
Just as long as it's not New York. Typical Coney Island Lincoln High head case like Marbury and Telfair before him.

Dude should just go to China like them.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/29/2016  3:49 PM
Can't see any reason for bringing this guy in.
He can either play or he can't. Seems his game has not improved or fallen backwards.
As for doing the "hometown" thing, Im not seeing the knicks need to sell tickets in this fashion or that
being around will resurge his career. Not sure reading a subway map is all that hard.
Finestrg
Member: #1069

8/29/2016  4:20 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/29/2016  4:25 PM
ChuckBuck wrote:Just as long as it's not New York. Typical Coney Island Lincoln High head case like Marbury and Telfair before him.

Dude should just go to China like them.

That very well may be true but I know this -- he's talented, he's been quite effective/productive so far in his short career if you look at his numbers and probably isn't at his ceiling yet. We have quantity in our backcourt, and some quality too for sure but also some pretty big question marks as well--most which LS addresses: I don't care for Sasha at all, first off (Lance is a clearcut upgrade here as a 2G); I do like Holiday but who knows how he'll respond with more minutes); Courtney's getting older and may benefit from reduced mins., Jennings may not pan out and continue shooting blanks and we could still use another ball-handling/playmaking guard for depth when you consider Rose and Jennings' injury history. Plus, Lance doesn't scare/won't wilt in a big spot and he's a good on-the-ball defender, someone we can put on a top wing and expect hard-nosed play. So much to like about him...and if he turns out to be a problem, for the little bit of money we're talking about, you cut him and move on. We've taken much higher risks with other guards, why not take a much lower risk with Lance esp. in a win-now environment? Complete no brainer for me if he'd come for the minimum.

dk7th
Member: #4228
USA
8/29/2016  4:59 PM
Who said we're in win now mode?
knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
dk7th
USA
8/29/2016  5:15 PM
I mean Melo has another three years here. One title would be fine. We don't need knuckleheads we need character.
knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
CrushAlot
USA
8/29/2016  5:57 PM
dk7th wrote:Who said we're in win now mode?

Keenly aware of Carmelo Anthony's concern over the direction of the franchise, Knicks president Phil Jackson says the Derrick Rose deal is "reinvigorating" for Anthony.

"We've talked about that a little bit. 'Are we moving fast enough to accomplish goals that you have for yourself and your career?' " Jackson said Thursday (via ESPN.com). "Melo and I have talked about that: whether we're on the right time frame with him, is he disappointed or whatever. I think this is a positive move. He sees that as a positive move. I think that's reinvigorating for him. I think it's good.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/derrick-rose-trade-invigorating-carmelo-132459811.html

Phil Jackson says that a recent conversation with New York Knicks star Carmelo Anthony factored into his decision to take a "win now" approach with the team this summer.

In a meeting after the season, Jackson asked Anthony, 32, if the Knicks were "moving quickly enough" to meet Anthony's timeline to win. Jackson said Anthony's response conveyed "that he's getting into an age where things have to happen for him, so we decided to activate ourselves."

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/16902395/carmelo-anthony-new-york-knicks-influenced-team-win-now-approach-offseason-phil-jackson-says
Jax is saying it and making moves with that as the intent if you believe what is coming out of his mouth and see getting Rose, Noah, Lee and Jennings as not being rebuilding moves.

From the O'Quinn article I posted earlier today.

Entering the 2016-17 season, O’Quinn knows he must be ready to produce at his highest level yet. Expectations have increased significantly since the team added Derrick Rose, Joakim Noah, Courtney Lee and Brandon Jennings to a core that already featured cornerstones Carmelo Anthony and Kristaps Porzingis. The playoffs are a realistic goal, and O’Quinn wants to be the junkyard dog that makes life easier for his star teammates.
“When I saw the moves, I was thinking, ‘Man, we’re really trying to make a push, we’re not trying to develop,’” O’Quinn said excitedly. “I think this is one of the first teams I’ve been on where it’s pretty clear cut that they went after guys who they think could help win now. In the past, it’s been, ‘Okay, we’ll give this guy a chance,’ or we were signing guys who were trying to find their way into the league.
“Now, I think if we stay healthy, everyone feels [the playoffs] are possible. When I saw the moves, of course I was excited. Playing with Carmelo is exciting enough, but then you add guys like D-Rose and Joakim Noah and Courtney Lee? That’s so exciting. Now, we’ll just try to create a strong locker room with those guys and enjoy the process.”
dk7th
USA
8/29/2016  7:03 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/29/2016  7:03 PM
one more thing: how can you be in "win now mode" when realistically this year the knicks *may* make the playoffs. "win-now" mode is a fantasy, or a bit of wishful thinking by naive and desperate fans spurred by jackson toying with the media.

the only way anybody can think of the knicks in win-now mode is if they are legitimate contenders, a top 5 team. does anyone in their right minds think the knicks are legitimate contenders?!?

kooky

CrushAlot
USA
8/29/2016  7:12 PM
dk7th wrote:one more thing: how can you be in "win now mode" when realistically this year the knicks *may* make the playoffs. "win-now" mode is a fantasy, or a bit of wishful thinking by naive and desperate fans spurred by jackson toying with the media.

the only way anybody can think of the knicks in win-now mode is if they are legitimate contenders, a top 5 team. does anyone in their right minds think the knicks are legitimate contenders?!?

kooky

How many guys with 7 or more years of nba experience that are going to be starting or a part of the rotation does a team need to bring in to be trying to win in one offseason? How many teams have 3 or more guys over 30 starting that are in rebuilding mode? How many teams trade rookies for 8 year vets and let second year players walk for cap space that are in rebuilding mode?
CrushAlot
USA
8/29/2016  7:17 PM
dk7th wrote:one more thing: how can you be in "win now mode" when realistically this year the knicks *may* make the playoffs. "win-now" mode is a fantasy, or a bit of wishful thinking by naive and desperate fans spurred by jackson toying with the media.

kooky

That wiley old coot Phil signed two guys that are going to be 31 at the start of the season to four year deals. Was that part of his plan to toy with the media?
CrushAlot
USA
8/29/2016  7:21 PM
ChuckBuck
Alba Posts: 11
Member: #3806
USA
8/30/2016  8:18 AM
CrushAlot wrote:

kooky

That wiley old coot Phil signed two guys that are going to be 31 at the start of the season to four year deals. Was that part of his plan to toy with the media?

Pretty much. Star phuck city. You don't go from 32 wins to contender with these moves. The most you can hope for with perfect health and gel time permitting is a +10 to +12 game uptick, and that's if all the pieces come together and the rest of the east regresses.

Not terrible deals Phil doled out, but still doesn't put us anywhere near the top half of the east. Best case scenario for this 3 to 4 year window is KP gets alot of 1st and and maybe 2nd round playoff experience, and we get real impactful players as he enters his prime years.

dk7th
USA
8/30/2016  9:37 AM
ChuckBuck wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

kooky

Pretty much. Star phuck city. You don't go from 32 wins to contender with these moves. The most you can hope for with perfect health and gel time permitting is a +10 to +12 game uptick, and that's if all the pieces come together and the rest of the east regresses.

Not terrible deals Phil doled out, but still doesn't put us anywhere near the top half of the east. Best case scenario for this 3 to 4 year window is KP gets alot of 1st and and maybe 2nd round playoff experience, and we get real impactful players as he enters his prime years.

i think lee is a solid pro, high character guy who will age well. noah i feel exactly the same. yes the contracts are too long but in terms of culture noah's presence and influence on kp6 is going to be fantastic, justifying the length of his contract. so far as the two knucklehead point guards on one-year contracts, well... i chalk that up to sunk costs. i don't like either of them in terms of character, so i see placeholders on a 3-4 year timeline. [rose will be in court on october 4th, first day of preseason-- this is really bad.] fans who think these moves are for "win-now" are delusional. if melo wins a title or gets to the finals in his last, opt-in year, then good for melo.

serious, dolan-like, mistakes could be made with this dangerous mindset of win-now. in fact, all you need to do is google "phil jackson win now" and all you get is berman and begley never actually quoting phil jackson using those words. the term itself is either put in quotes or in brackets, meaning it is the writer's inference and not actually from the horse's mouth, either jackson or mills.

seems like many fans who want to interpret the proceedings as win-now, are still addicted to a drunkard dolan's impulsivity and cluelessness.

Lance Stevenson for the minimum?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy