[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

BBall breakdown video: How Derrick Rose and Jeff Hornacek will fit with the Knicks
Author Thread
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
7/26/2016  4:23 PM
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
Dagger wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
mreinman wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:Great video.

So is Hornacek going to show Rose how many times a game he passes while jumping up in the air?
Because the NY crowd will surely let him know if he keeps messing that up.

I am sure that he will because Thibs, Hoiberg and the Chicago fans were always too drunk to pick up on this

He was "the man" in Chicago...different role here. Probably more open to suggestion. Also contract year. More assists more efficiency = More $$ for him.

He had a lot of excellent players in Chicago. There was no reason for him to chuck low percentage shots.

What "excellent" offensive players did he play with in Chicago when he was healthy? Who were the offensive equivalents of Melo and KP on those teams?

Are you talking about last year? I'd consider Gasol and Butler on the border between very good and excellent. Many of their role players are good and have spots on the court where they're very effective. There was no need to put up 16 points on 16 shots a game. That's chucking. I'm really hoping Hornacek can change Rose's mindset.
what mindset? Butler/Gasol/Rose were pretty even in shot attempts. Gasol and Butler were about 48% in their EFG% while Rose was 45%. How much Bulls BB did you watch last year to get a handle on Rose's mindset? You do understand someone has to score the ball to win? I can see why you miss Jose.

WS48:

Butler .177
Gasol .149
Rose .009

Hence the problem with FG.

Im sorry, I thought we were actually talking about basketball. Carry on...

I'm just responding as our coach would ... FG who?

mreinman, do you believe that by adding Rose the Knicks should lose 4 more game than they did last year? (Based on win shares)

Please do tell me you believe that since that is the # you just posted. According to you swapping Calderon for Rose should net 28 wins vs. the 32 we had last year. Agree?

yes (or more) if Rose plays like he played last year.

of course its a silly question since we made a ton of other changes.

Thanks for clearing that up.
context is good... like when guys are saying the team isn't going to be good or offer their opinion its important to remember the same guy things Jose Calderon is going to produce more wins for your team than Derrick Rose.

Everyone has their opinion.

45?

So if the Knicks got worse at PG and C, a very slight improvement at SG how do you have them going from a .390 team to a .548 team?

Lance Thomas is healthy that's why!

Can I tell you to grow up but that you are being cute?
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
AUTOADVERT
Dagger
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #4184

7/26/2016  5:00 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
Dagger wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
mreinman wrote:

So is Hornacek going to show Rose how many times a game he passes while jumping up in the air?

I am sure that he will because Thibs, Hoiberg and the Chicago fans were always too drunk to pick up on this

He was "the man" in Chicago...different role here. Probably more open to suggestion. Also contract year. More assists more efficiency = More $$ for him.

He had a lot of excellent players in Chicago. There was no reason for him to chuck low percentage shots.

What "excellent" offensive players did he play with in Chicago when he was healthy? Who were the offensive equivalents of Melo and KP on those teams?

Are you talking about last year? I'd consider Gasol and Butler on the border between very good and excellent. Many of their role players are good and have spots on the court where they're very effective. There was no need to put up 16 points on 16 shots a game. That's chucking. I'm really hoping Hornacek can change Rose's mindset.
I think he is referring to his entire tenure in Chicago because he asked about teams. He also asked about guys on the team when he was healthy. I think that would be 08-10 teams and then to a lesser extent last year.

Sorry I got to this late, but yes I was talking about early rose before the injuries derailed his career. I wouldn't count last year because he was still plagued by his eye injury/surgery recovery last year. I also would not call old Gasol an excellent offensive player either. Butler is pretty good, but in my original post I was really more talking about his prime years where Carlos Boozer was for some time considered his number #2 option (which is sad).

Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
7/26/2016  5:05 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/26/2016  5:07 PM
Cartman718 wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
Dagger wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
mreinman wrote:

butler and gasol, really? offensively they dont even come close to melo and kp respectively.

I don't think a Butler-Melo debate will be productive, but what exactly was KP better at last year than Gasol? I'm not knocking KP. He was a 20 year old rookie and Gasol is a polished veteran. But Gasol was better in virtually every aspect of the game. If KP plays next year at the level Gasol did last year, that would wildly exceed my expectations for his growth.
Dagger
Member: #4184

7/26/2016  5:12 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/26/2016  5:13 PM
mreinman wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
Dagger wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
mreinman wrote:

Don't sleep on Justin Holliday

Gasol was definitely a better offensive player than KP, Butler is excellent, Mirotic is good, Gibson is good. Noah was pretty bad but he is damn good now that he is motivated to be a knicks :-)

I'm not talking about Rose's time playing with Pau Gasol, I should have made that more clear in my post. I'm talking about his years before the 2012 playoff acl tear. Also Gasol had a very good all-around performance last season, but I'm very confident KP will surpass Gasol's 16.5 points per game this upcoming season.

yellowboy90
Member: #3538

7/26/2016  9:28 PM
I think people are still overlooking Rose problems on defense. That is what could make him a worse player than Jose if he repeats the offensive production he has been over the last few years. Rose might have gotten better offensively a bit last year as the year went on but he also declined significantly defensively in the second half of the year. He was like James Harden without the offense but even worse defensively.

I am hoping just hoping Rose can be somewhere between 54 win Felton and last years Reggie Jackson offensively. Those two pgs at least contributed on defense though. IF Thibs and Noah couldn't keep Rose accountable who will?

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
7/26/2016  10:07 PM
yellowboy90 wrote:I think people are still overlooking Rose problems on defense. That is what could make him a worse player than Jose if he repeats the offensive production he has been over the last few years. Rose might have gotten better offensively a bit last year as the year went on but he also declined significantly defensively in the second half of the year. He was like James Harden without the offense but even worse defensively.

I am hoping just hoping Rose can be somewhere between 54 win Felton and last years Reggie Jackson offensively. Those two pgs at least contributed on defense though. IF Thibs and Noah couldn't keep Rose accountable who will?

The D is a concern but I think a lot of that is who was behind Rose. Noah wasn't there much of the year as he came off the bench and then only played 29 games.

Here in NY KP, Noah and Lee will help a LOT. It does make a difference who you play with and how connected the team is on D. Then we have Lance, Holliday and maybe NDour off the bench who can defend as well. I think the support behind Rose should be strong.

yellowboy90

7/26/2016  11:15 PM
nixluva wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:I think people are still overlooking Rose problems on defense. That is what could make him a worse player than Jose if he repeats the offensive production he has been over the last few years. Rose might have gotten better offensively a bit last year as the year went on but he also declined significantly defensively in the second half of the year. He was like James Harden without the offense but even worse defensively.

The D is a concern but I think a lot of that is who was behind Rose. Noah wasn't there much of the year as he came off the bench and then only played 29 games.

Here in NY KP, Noah and Lee will help a LOT. It does make a difference who you play with and how connected the team is on D. Then we have Lance, Holliday and maybe NDour off the bench who can defend as well. I think the support behind Rose should be strong.

Gasol, Gibson, and Butler should be enough help. The who he played with excuse doesn't really work on D especially when his defense has been poor his whole career. The dude had good young defenders around him and still came up short.

He will need to take responsibility and put in the effort on defense and let his teammates handle the offensive load. If he can take 12-14 good shots with some slightly below average to average defense the Knicks would probably be in great shape. He needs to help contribute to Lee becoming a high volume 3 pt shooter this year

nixluva
USA
7/27/2016  12:32 AM
yellowboy90 wrote:
nixluva wrote:

Gasol, Gibson, and Butler should be enough help. The who he played with excuse doesn't really work on D especially when his defense has been poor his whole career. The dude had good young defenders around him and still came up short.

He will need to take responsibility and put in the effort on defense and let his teammates handle the offensive load. If he can take 12-14 good shots with some slightly below average to average defense the Knicks would probably be in great shape. He needs to help contribute to Lee becoming a high volume 3 pt shooter this year

Last year Rose's D was much worse than normal. His Defensive rating last year was 110, The previous seasons 108, 105, 101, 103. Gasol is a good defender, but if you really think that Gasol can move to help on PnR like Noah and KP then you are fooling yourself. Gibson is OK but let's not overstate his defense. His Defensive rating was 106 as was Butler's defensive rating. As a Team the Bulls were ranked 15th in defense with a 106.5 rating and the Knicks were 18th with a 107 rating. That's with AA 112 and Jose 109 playing starter's minutes. I'm pretty positive that things can be better in NY with Rose, Lee, Melo, KP and Noah. The hope is to defend better as a unit, which I believe they will be able to do.
Malcolm
Member: #6131

7/28/2016  2:02 AM
Just show me what indications there are that Rose has ever had any
of the personality characteristics that make for a good Triangle player.

It's not just ONE characteristic -- Jordan, Odom, Kerr, Pippen, Rodman,
O'Neal, and Artest didn't have the same personality.

But they all had SOMETHING that made it possible for them to attune
themselves to what the Triangle is all about.

What is that for Rose (?) I don't see it . . .

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
7/28/2016  2:09 AM
Malcolm wrote:Just show me what indications there are that Rose has ever had any

I think he fits with the new coach. I think Phil realized that he needed to be more open minded in his approach and is listening to and advising his coach instead of just advising his coach and picking his assistants. I think the triangle and Phil are evolving.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
nixluva
USA
7/28/2016  2:32 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/28/2016  2:33 AM
CrushAlot wrote:
Malcolm wrote:Just show me what indications there are that Rose has ever had any

I think he fits with the new coach. I think Phil realized that he needed to be more open minded in his approach and is listening to and advising his coach instead of just advising his coach and picking his assistants. I think the triangle and Phil are evolving.

This is what happened with Tex and Phil as well. The Triangle has been evolving for decades. Even Tex added things to the offense he learned from Coach Sam Barry who actually invented it.

I think there's really no point in stressing the Triangle from the way that it was always run. JH is going to be adding his own flavor to the offense and it will not be the same. All that matters is that the principles are the same. The focus of the offense will be different. Rose's game will be more in tune with Hornacek's Early Offensive approach. Rather than the Tex Winter 3 Pass approach. JH gets right into it before the defense is ready. That's why Rose makes so much sense. JH has already said that Melo has to get in shape to run. That goes for everyone. JH joked about 7 Seconds Or Less saying he'd call his 8 Seconds Or Less. The point is the same.

Malcolm
Member: #6131

7/28/2016  10:32 AM
nixluva wrote:I think there's really no point in stressing the Triangle from the way that it was always run. JH is going to be adding his own flavor to the offense and it will not be the same. All that matters is that the principles are the same. The focus of the offense will be different. Rose's game will be more in tune with Hornacek's Early Offensive approach. Rather than the Tex Winter 3 Pass approach. JH gets right into it before the defense is ready. That's why Rose makes so much sense. JH has already said that Melo has to get in shape to run. That goes for everyone. JH joked about 7 Seconds Or Less saying he'd call his 8 Seconds Or Less. The point is the same.
They plan to score in 8 seconds or less (?)

Well heck, why would I object to them scoring in 8 seconds or less (?)

But what if . . . they don't score in 8 seconds or less (?)

That's likely to happen once in a while, you know.

So what's the evidence that Rose will be any good in the Triangle in
the other 16 seconds (?)

callmened
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #4234

7/28/2016  1:22 PM
if you look closely at the SET that the suns were running (in the 2:00-3:00 period), they were actually running a high SQUARE with TRIANGLE features. lol (Portland and dallas run that SQUARE set...its called "FLOW")
Knicks should be improved: win about 40 games and maybe sneak into the playoffs. Melo, Rose and even Noah will have some nice moments however this team should be about PORZINGUS. the sooner they make him the primary player, the better
nixluva
USA
7/28/2016  2:20 PM
Malcolm wrote:
nixluva wrote:I think there's really no point in stressing the Triangle from the way that it was always run. JH is going to be adding his own flavor to the offense and it will not be the same. All that matters is that the principles are the same. The focus of the offense will be different. Rose's game will be more in tune with Hornacek's Early Offensive approach. Rather than the Tex Winter 3 Pass approach. JH gets right into it before the defense is ready. That's why Rose makes so much sense. JH has already said that Melo has to get in shape to run. That goes for everyone. JH joked about 7 Seconds Or Less saying he'd call his 8 Seconds Or Less. The point is the same.
They plan to score in 8 seconds or less (?)

Well heck, why would I object to them scoring in 8 seconds or less (?)

But what if . . . they don't score in 8 seconds or less (?)

That's likely to happen once in a while, you know.

So what's the evidence that Rose will be any good in the Triangle in
the other 16 seconds (?)

Just so you know, Rose was part of a 62 win team that ran Triangle. It's not like he hasn't ever played Triangle sets before. I've written about this many times so I can't believe you haven't seen the video I've posted several times which show Rose playing in the Triangle under Thibs.

Skip to the 3:42 mark and the 5:20 Mark and you will see Rose giving the ball up and cutting in the Triangle simply to create space. How the Bulls ran the Triangle was much more about the Pinch Post passer and Cutters. As i've said many times what you choose to feature out of the Triangle is totally up to the coach.

yellowboy90

4/25/2017  12:53 AM
I really do not like you BBall Breakdown.
BBall breakdown video: How Derrick Rose and Jeff Hornacek will fit with the Knicks

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy