[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Derrick Rose referred to the Knicks as a super team along with GS...
Author Thread
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
7/22/2016  7:10 PM
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
mreinman wrote:
EnySpree wrote:Everyone wants to remind us what can happen if things go wrong...

But what if everything goes right?

its not about what ifs but about setting realistic expectation based on recent years/performances.

That's a cowardly existence...

Rose, Courtney, Noah, Jennings and others were not on the Knicks last year... slate is clean. If you want to project how good a team can be then go for it.

I'm not going to say, "welp I'm not going to have anything good in life because I haven't had anything good happen. I guess I'm ****ed". You can't live life that way. People cab change and grow. So can sports teams

I predicted 45 wins. That is really nice improvement. Calling us a contender is way over the top. Why can't we just be happy with steady improvement?

45 wins is a good, fair and optimistic outcome. Could they do better? Or worse? Of course... Knicks are not a contender, but they can contend. There are some good teams in the east, but only one great one. The Knicks have the ponies to get hot and make a run, and if that happens there isn't a team in the east they cant match with talent wise. Of course seeing is believing and they need to get there without half the team on a stretcher. Fingers crossed.

Health and chemistry is the only thing separating the knicks from contending for a title..

ES
AUTOADVERT
nixluva
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #758
USA
7/22/2016  8:00 PM
It's all about how a team comes together and how the players mesh. Some teams perform above what the individual parts might suggest cuz they have a great fit. I like how this roster looks on paper but we have to see how Hornacek and these players vibe together. What excites me is that Melo n KP play well already and Rose n Noah already have chemistry. Those things make for a natural fit. Lee is the consummate role player that can blend into any lineup. So I'm very high on this team's chances of blending into a cohesive unit.
stopstandthere
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #6004

7/22/2016  8:12 PM
Rose really sound like Afflalo.
nixluva
USA
7/22/2016  8:13 PM
stopstandthere wrote:Rose really sound like Afflalo.

Yes but AA couldn't back it up. Rose at least has the talent to back it up if he's healthy.

EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

7/22/2016  8:17 PM
mreinman wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
mreinman wrote:
EnySpree wrote:Everyone wants to remind us what can happen if things go wrong...

But what if everything goes right?

its not about what ifs but about setting realistic expectation based on recent years/performances.

That's a cowardly existence...

Rose, Courtney, Noah, Jennings and others were not on the Knicks last year... slate is clean. If you want to project how good a team can be then go for it.

I'm not going to say, "welp I'm not going to have anything good in life because I haven't had anything good happen. I guess I'm ****ed". You can't live life that way. People cab change and grow. So can sports teams

I predicted 45 wins. That is really nice improvement. Calling us a contender is way over the top. Why can't we just be happy with steady improvement?

I say 42-40.... 50-32 if everything goes well. We can be happy with steady improvement. So be happy mofuka

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
dk7th
Member: #4228
USA
7/22/2016  10:24 PM
nixluva wrote:It's all about how a team comes together and how the players mesh. Some teams perform above what the individual parts might suggest cuz they have a great fit. I like how this roster looks on paper but we have to see how Hornacek and these players vibe together. What excites me is that Melo n KP play well already and Rose n Noah already have chemistry. Those things make for a natural fit. Lee is the consummate role player that can blend into any lineup. So I'm very high on this team's chances of blending into a cohesive unit.

you're glossing again. that's two two-man games you allege go great together. and then a 5th guy. will it become a cohesive 5-man unit is the operative question. we shall see.

knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
fitzfarm
Member: #3285

7/22/2016  10:33 PM
I don't think Rose a former mvp would make that "super team" comment if he didn't feel 100% healthy
Rose was arguably right up there with Westbrook as best pg post all star break last year posting mvp like numbers:

2015-2016 Post All-Star – 31 ppg, 7.9 asts, 5.4 rbs, 52 FG%, 48 3P%
2009-2010 MVP Season – 32.1 ppg, 9.9 asts, 5.2 rbs, .44 FG%, 33 3P%

If Rose is healthy
If Noah is fully healthy I expect he is he should be putting up 2014 numbers where he was dpy and 5 the in the mvp vote

Melo is melo all star

KP takes the next easy step of becoming a all star which he will .

Between Rose,melo,KP all those guys can go off for 25 a game you have defensive anchors in Noah,KP, Lee..

We are going to fight for the top spot in the east if healthy for sure. Super teams are only super if healthy but if we are then yea having 4 potential all stars in your starting 5 is a super team.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
7/22/2016  10:47 PM
nixluva wrote:It's all about how a team comes together and how the players mesh. Some teams perform above what the individual parts might suggest cuz they have a great fit. I like how this roster looks on paper but we have to see how Hornacek and these players vibe together. What excites me is that Melo n KP play well already and Rose n Noah already have chemistry. Those things make for a natural fit. Lee is the consummate role player that can blend into any lineup. So I'm very high on this team's chances of blending into a cohesive unit.
Not sure if you posted this Nix but this is from Hornacek's first year in Phoenix.
The Suns continue to win and the media continue to be impressed. Maybe one day the surprise will end.

Until it does, Phoenix basketball remains a hot topic of conversation among NBA circles. They’ve won seven of their last eight and 11 of their last 15, vaulting them to sixth in the Western Conference.

ESPN.com labeled the Suns the top surprise team of the season so far, with Kevin Pelton crediting the team-first effort that starts from the coach’s seat:

Phoenix's overachieving has truly been a team effort; all nine rotation players have exceeded their SCHOENE projections, many of them dramatically so. That points to the role of first-year head coach Jeff Hornacek, who has built an outside-in attack around the skills of guards Eric Bledsoe and Goran Dragic.

USA Today has been similarly impressed by the Bledsoe-Dragic backcourt, which is averaging a combined 37.8 points, 12.2 assists, 7.2 rebounds and 2.7 steals per game.

In a team spotlight published on Sunday, Sam Amick touched on several aspects of the Suns’ success, but pinpointed the Phoenix’s guard tandem as the first domino in the process.

The unique system has made the Suns one of the more entertaining teams around, as they began the week with the league's sixth-ranked offense (106.1 points per 100 possessions). There are other factors coming into play – among them the revival of guard Gerald Green's game, the contributions of big man twins, Marcus and Markieff Morris, and the triumphant return of Channing Frye after he missed of last season with a heart problem. But the potent pairing of Dragic and Bledsoe, above all else, has led to this surprising Suns season.

Amick’s piece is worth a read for the added insight from Goran Dragic, who admitted to not knowing what Bledsoe’s arrival meant for him until Hornacek reassured him of his plans to play both guards together in an uptempo system that would see them on the floor together as well as alternating shifts.

"When I was back in Europe and as soon as I found out, I said, 'OK, I've got competition,'" he said. "In the end, I talked with Jeff, and he told me that probably we were going to play most of the minutes together."

http://www.nba.com/suns/news/usa-today-espn-praise-surprising-suns
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
nixluva
USA
7/22/2016  11:46 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
Not sure if you posted this Nix but this is from Hornacek's first year in Phoenix.
The Suns continue to win and the media continue to be impressed. Maybe one day the surprise will end.

Until it does, Phoenix basketball remains a hot topic of conversation among NBA circles. They’ve won seven of their last eight and 11 of their last 15, vaulting them to sixth in the Western Conference.

ESPN.com labeled the Suns the top surprise team of the season so far, with Kevin Pelton crediting the team-first effort that starts from the coach’s seat:

Phoenix's overachieving has truly been a team effort; all nine rotation players have exceeded their SCHOENE projections, many of them dramatically so. That points to the role of first-year head coach Jeff Hornacek, who has built an outside-in attack around the skills of guards Eric Bledsoe and Goran Dragic.

USA Today has been similarly impressed by the Bledsoe-Dragic backcourt, which is averaging a combined 37.8 points, 12.2 assists, 7.2 rebounds and 2.7 steals per game.

In a team spotlight published on Sunday, Sam Amick touched on several aspects of the Suns’ success, but pinpointed the Phoenix’s guard tandem as the first domino in the process.

The unique system has made the Suns one of the more entertaining teams around, as they began the week with the league's sixth-ranked offense (106.1 points per 100 possessions). There are other factors coming into play – among them the revival of guard Gerald Green's game, the contributions of big man twins, Marcus and Markieff Morris, and the triumphant return of Channing Frye after he missed of last season with a heart problem. But the potent pairing of Dragic and Bledsoe, above all else, has led to this surprising Suns season.

Amick’s piece is worth a read for the added insight from Goran Dragic, who admitted to not knowing what Bledsoe’s arrival meant for him until Hornacek reassured him of his plans to play both guards together in an uptempo system that would see them on the floor together as well as alternating shifts.

"When I was back in Europe and as soon as I found out, I said, 'OK, I've got competition,'" he said. "In the end, I talked with Jeff, and he told me that probably we were going to play most of the minutes together."

http://www.nba.com/suns/news/usa-today-espn-praise-surprising-suns

Good Find Crush! I especially liked this article which went a little deeper into how Hornacek decided on his 2 guard system:

When Dragic first heard that the Suns had traded for another point guard in early July, he wasn't about to give up his job without a fight. Phoenix, which hired new general manager Ryan McDonough and rookie coach Jeff Hornacek to clean up last season's mess (25-57 record, worst in the West), brought former Los Angeles Clippers' speedster Eric Bledsoe to town as part of a three-team deal. And Dragic's role, at first glance anyways, appeared to be at risk.

They've done more than play together. They've played exceedingly well together.

With Hornacek employing a two point-guard system that is similar to the one he thrived in with Kevin Johnson during their Suns playing days in the late 1980s, Dragic and Bledsoe are having career years and the Suns — who have won seven of their past eight games — have gone from pathetic to playoff-worthy. Dragic, who entered the season with momentum after starring for Slovenia in the Eurobasket tournament during the summer, is averaging a career-high 18.7 points (career-high 48.1% shooting) and 5.9 assists a game. Bledsoe, who will be a restricted free agent next summer, is starting regularly for the first time and has more than doubled his career-high averages in points (19.1) and rebounds (6.3).

"When Ryan asked me about (the trade), I said, 'Hey, Eric looks like Kevin Johnson when he was here playing in Phoenix, and Goran is kind of like I was,' " Hornacek told USA TODAY Sports. "We turned a team that was winning 28 games (in 1987-88) to winning 55 (in 1988-89).

"I don't think either one of us ever thought when we traded for Eric that, 'Well now, we've got to figure out where we're going to trade Goran.' It was right off the bat, saying 'We're going to play these guys together and have that tempo change.'"

"I think we saw glimpses of (Dragic's) talent, particularly in the playoffs back in 2010 (when Phoenix fell in the Western Conference Finals to the Lakers)," said the recently-retired Grant Hill, who played with Dragic in Phoenix and Bledsoe with the Clippers. "I think when (Dragic) went to Houston in the trade, and there were some injuries and he started (in 2011-12), I thought you saw a good second half of the season that year during the lockout season.

"But now there's sort of a new energy it seems in Phoenix. And you pair him with Bledsoe…and the two of those guys, it's working. They're both playmakers. They're both very athletic. They complement each other."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/suns/2013/12/22/phoenix-resurgence-goran-dragic-eric-bledsoe/4167877/

I think there's something to the idea of having 2 shot creating guards on the floor. Defenses aren't really setup to deal with 2 guards you have to worry about with the ball. Being able to have 2 guards that can get into the paint, PnR and beat their man off the dribble is particularly tough to deal with. I think this Knicks team is gonna see a lot of that next year with Rose and Jennings actually playing together some time. Lee is actually more crafty with the dribble than people realize. He doesn't only catch and shoot. He's not as aggressive with his dribble drive but he can do it well enough.

stopstandthere

7/23/2016  2:10 AM
The impact is better if Rose makes this statement in the middle of the season and Knicks is winning over 40+ games.

Before this statement, I thought Knicks is a marginal playoff team fighting for seed 7 and 8.

nixluva
USA
7/23/2016  2:57 AM
stopstandthere wrote:The impact is better if Rose makes this statement in the middle of the season and Knicks is winning over 40+ games.

Before this statement, I thought Knicks is a marginal playoff team fighting for seed 7 and 8.

Rose wasn't trying to make a statement to impact the team. His honest belief is that this team is gonna be a top team. Whether he's wrong or not it's obviously how he really feels. The unfortunate thing is how the media has reacted but it's on the team to play well and make the media eat their words.

I don't see how the Knicks end up fighting for 7 or 8th seed. They didn't just make minor upgrades IMO. They upgraded the backcourt and the bulk of the rotation and also have a coach with a better approach to the game. Better balance, speed and athletic ability. Melo, KP, Rose or Jennings can go off on any given night. I just don't think this team is gonna be at the back of the East playoff race.

earthmansurfer
Member: #858
Germany
7/23/2016  4:54 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/23/2016  5:18 AM
IF we stay healthy, develop team chemistry and if the youngins shine, we might really have a very very good team on our hands. To become a great team, well, it is possible, but things have to really fall together for us.

I think it is nice that Derrick is saying what he did as that can really spread. The talent is clearly there. Our backup pg is our best pg in years. And on top of that we just got a whole whole lot deeper from our overseas signings. I think that is the wild card in all this. We know our starters are very very good, but what will the bench do.

Many teams have very good starters. But if Hernangomez and Kuzminskus shine, which I really think they can, especially the latter, we now have the makings of a great bench.
And we have so many looks we can throw at teams. Oh, almost forgot N'Dour!

Really looking forward to this next year.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. Albert Einstein
knicks1248
7/23/2016  8:31 AM
nixluva wrote:
stopstandthere wrote:Rose really sound like Afflalo.

Yes but AA couldn't back it up. Rose at least has the talent to back it up if he's healthy.

AA had the same vision he would turned back into the (Orlando magic) afflalo. I simple blame the rotation, the system, and the coach for much of AA's struggles. Trying to run plays for him like he was Black Mamba, or air Jordan in the post, that was retarded.

Just another indication of how most of the players were in the wrong roles.

ES
Vmart
Member: #247
USA
7/23/2016  9:01 AM
The record will tell everyone what they are. Right now the Knicks are whatever they want to be.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
7/23/2016  10:03 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/23/2016  10:04 AM
fitzfarm wrote:I don't think Rose a former mvp would make that "super team" comment if he didn't feel 100% healthy
Rose was arguably right up there with Westbrook as best pg post all star break last year posting mvp like numbers:

If Rose is healthy
If Noah is fully healthy I expect he is he should be putting up 2014 numbers where he was dpy and 5 the in the mvp vote

Melo is melo all star

Between Rose,melo,KP all those guys can go off for 25 a game you have defensive anchors in Noah,KP, Lee..

We are going to fight for the top spot in the east if healthy for sure. Super teams are only super if healthy but if we are then yea having 4 potential all stars in your starting 5 is a super team.

huh? Those post-all-star #s are definitely not right. 31 points, 8 assists, 52% shooting? Are you looking up Lebron instead of Rose?
knicks1248
7/23/2016  10:27 AM
In the case of his “super team” comment there is a feeling that Rose is referring to how the new-look Knicks are creating as much buzz as the Warriors, who signed Durant during free agency. That would make more sense.

I THink this is more in line with his comments

ES
stopstandthere

7/23/2016  10:45 AM
nixluva wrote:
stopstandthere wrote:The impact is better if Rose makes this statement in the middle of the season and Knicks is winning over 40+ games.

Rose wasn't trying to make a statement to impact the team. His honest belief is that this team is gonna be a top team. Whether he's wrong or not it's obviously how he really feels. The unfortunate thing is how the media has reacted but it's on the team to play well and make the media eat their words.

I don't see how the Knicks end up fighting for 7 or 8th seed. They didn't just make minor upgrades IMO. They upgraded the backcourt and the bulk of the rotation and also have a coach with a better approach to the game. Better balance, speed and athletic ability. Melo, KP, Rose or Jennings can go off on any given night. I just don't think this team is gonna be at the back of the East playoff race.

I also hope the same, every single season.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
7/23/2016  10:49 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:
fitzfarm wrote:I don't think Rose a former mvp would make that "super team" comment if he didn't feel 100% healthy

If Rose is healthy

Melo is melo all star

huh? Those post-all-star #s are definitely not right. 31 points, 8 assists, 52% shooting? Are you looking up Lebron instead of Rose?

hahaha good catch. Those numbers are super duper all star, MVP caliber and Rose has never been that close.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
nixluva
USA
7/23/2016  11:49 AM
dk7th wrote:

you're glossing again. that's two two-man games you allege go great together. and then a 5th guy. will it become a cohesive 5-man unit is the operative question. we shall see.

Glossing??? How is it glossing when you have built in chemistry between 2 pairs of starters and the 5 starter is a consummate role player that has fit in everywhere he's gone??? That's a far better starting point than most new starting lineups have going in. That makes the remaining work on building chemistry between new players just that much less. Rose and KP PnR/Dribble Handoffs is probably the next most important chemistry to worry about.

Also Rose and Noah have run Triangle sets for years. They may not have focused on this fact but they were doing it under Thibs. They will not have trouble understanding how to read those looks given that they spent years doing it. Noah will know how to scan the floor for open shooters and cutters since that's what he had been doing for years. The uptempo stuff is just basketball. There's not much about it that is difficult to grasp trying to score early points in transition. Exactly what part of this sounds like "glossing"?

nixluva
USA
7/23/2016  11:55 AM
martin wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

If Rose is healthy

Melo is melo all star

hahaha good catch. Those numbers are super duper all star, MVP caliber and Rose has never been that close.

This article was very informative:

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2016/04/02/analytics-art-derrick-rose-bouncing-back-to-form-despite-bulls-meltdown/

He’s already played the most games in a season since 2010-11 this year, and staying healthy has allowed Rose to knock off years of rust. While he struggled throughout the first half of the season, he’s mostly shined since the All-Star break. In fact, his stats since All-Star Weekend are actually somewhat comparable to his MVP season.

After averaging 21.9 points, 6.0 assists and 5.6 rebounds throughout February, Rose has continued to play well via efficiency through March. In the “Shooting” tab within the visualization, you can see Rose was particularly dead-on from beyond the arc. He drained 40.5 percent of his attempts from distance in 15 games — significantly better than his career mark of just 30.4 percent from three-point territory.
That marksmanship from distance is unheard of for Rose, who has always been more of a slasher who uses his pure athletic talents to get to the bucket and score. But he’s reinvented himself of late by scoring with efficiency from inside and outside the arc.

Go to the original article to see the charts and graphs.

Derrick Rose referred to the Knicks as a super team along with GS...

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy