Member: #452
USA
7/19/2016  11:25 AM
mreinman wrote:
dk7th wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
dk7th wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
dk7th wrote:d'antoni haters out in full force, hear what you want to hear, interpret what he is saying how you will. carry on with the useless trolling.
Did you listen to the podcast?
i heard a pretty gracious person who realized he had lost the team and resigned once he realized it. once he saw how well lin did leading the knicks during that stretch, he wanted to make it lin's team and allow lin to play the way he, lin, wanted to play. apparently the adjustments required of melo and amare were too much to ask for the cause of winning or in service of winning, and the writing was on the wall.

argue 20-20 hindsight if you want-- lin gets hurt, lin is just an average player with a brilliant streak, etc. it doesn't cover over the fact that d'antoni wasn't powerful enough to make his players do what he wanted them to do, and it reflects poorly on amare and melo.

I heard it and did not feel that way at all. I heard a guy taking little tey refusedo no accountability to a situation that he could have handled differently and putting it on his players. Either don't go there with Woj or own up to your own mistakes.

He said that with the way Lin ran the team, and the remarkable success the Knicks experienced, that he wanted Melo to move to the 4 and Amare to come off the bench. They refused to do what he asked-- their own coach with a proven record of success at that time-- and he resigned. He noted that when Melo moved to the 4 out of necessity that that made a big difference, vindicating his vision for the team.

he was still a stubborn putz. Your players won't take you seriously if you can't see your own faults as well.

I am not exonerating melo or amare because they were putz's too. Melo and MDA are actually quite similar in their narcissistic ways however, Melo seems to be maturing while MDA seems to still be the same putz.

Hahn wrote a column or spoke about the similarities between Melo and MDA in a chat back before he worked for MSG. What he read, spoke I thought was spot on at the time.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
AUTOADVERT
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
USA
7/19/2016  11:27 AM
dk7th wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
dk7th wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
dk7th wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
dk7th wrote:d'antoni haters out in full force, hear what you want to hear, interpret what he is saying how you will. carry on with the useless trolling.
i heard a pretty gracious person who realized he had lost the team and resigned once he realized it. once he saw how well lin did leading the knicks during that stretch, he wanted to make it lin's team and allow lin to play the way he, lin, wanted to play. apparently the adjustments required of melo and amare were too much to ask for the cause of winning or in service of winning, and the writing was on the wall.

argue 20-20 hindsight if you want-- lin gets hurt, lin is just an average player with a brilliant streak, etc. it doesn't cover over the fact that d'antoni wasn't powerful enough to make his players do what he wanted them to do, and it reflects poorly on amare and melo.

I heard it and did not feel that way at all. I heard a guy taking little tey refusedo no accountability to a situation that he could have handled differently and putting it on his players. Either don't go there with Woj or own up to your own mistakes.
He said that with the way Lin ran the team, and the remarkable success the Knicks experienced, that he wanted Melo to move to the 4 and Amare to come off the bench. They refused to do what he asked-- their own coach with a proven record of success at that time-- and he resigned. He noted that when Melo moved to the 4 out of necessity that that made a big difference, vindicating his vision for the team.
He didn't say that the players refused anything. He said they didn't want to. Did Noah want to go to the bench in Chicago? How about Afflalo? Who makes that call? Who has the responsibility for setting the line up?

It amounts to the exact same thing.

Again I disagree. It was D'Antoni's job to change the line up if it was the best thing for the team and team goals.
dk7th
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #4228
USA
7/19/2016  11:42 AM
CrushAlot wrote:
dk7th wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
dk7th wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
dk7th wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

He didn't say that the players refused anything. He said they didn't want to. Did Noah want to go to the bench in Chicago? How about Afflalo? Who makes that call? Who has the responsibility for setting the line up?
Again I disagree. It was D'Antoni's job to change the line up if it was the best thing for the team and team goals.
Suit yourself.
knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
7/19/2016  4:17 PM
It's okay. Lin was a 2 week wonder. D'antoni's a self-absorbed azzhole who hasn't done sheehit since Phoenix and will last about as long with Harden as he has anywhere else other than Phoenix.

Move on, nothing to see here. Unless you just feel the need to pet your pointless LinLove/MeloHate.

How bout them Knicks?

HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

7/19/2016  5:25 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/19/2016  5:42 PM
dk7th wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
dk7th wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
dk7th wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
dk7th wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

Suit yourself.

Who gives a ****. Love how people ignore the obvious circumstances and facts but continue talking about some bull **** fantasy of what could have been. This just goes to show what a moron MDA was. He thought it was a good move to put a two week wonder in a higher role than two parenial All Stars. Yeah, that is what most experienced coaches would have done? And why are we still talking about this guy? Lin has gone on to prove all the Lin hard-ons wrong. He sucked in Houston. Sucked in LA. And played and average back up role on a walk year. But everyone is still acting like Lin would have gotten us a chip? Stupid to argue he was worth the money Houston wasted on him. And as for MDA, except for his terrible in game adjustments, non existent defensive framework and total lack of player respect, he was a great coach. Still laugh my ass off every time I think of his time out speeches. The "Nutty Professor".

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
dk7th
USA
7/19/2016  6:05 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:
dk7th wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
dk7th wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
dk7th wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
dk7th wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

Suit yourself.

Who gives a ****. Love how people ignore the obvious circumstances and facts but continue talking about some bull **** fantasy of what could have been. This just goes to show what a moron MDA was. He thought it was a good move to put a two week wonder in a higher role than two parenial All Stars. Yeah, that is what most experienced coaches would have done? And why are we still talking about this guy? Lin has gone on to prove all the Lin hard-ons wrong. He sucked in Houston. Sucked in LA. And played and average back up role on a walk year. But everyone is still acting like Lin would have gotten us a chip? Stupid to argue he was worth the money Houston wasted on him. And as for MDA, except for his terrible in game adjustments, non existent defensive framework and total lack of player respect, he was a great coach. Still laugh my ass off every time I think of his time out speeches. The "Nutty Professor".

so what you are saying is that melo and amare were justified in "not wanting to" or "refusing to do" what their coach wanted them to do. cool.

knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

7/19/2016  10:08 PM
dk7th wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
dk7th wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
dk7th wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
dk7th wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
dk7th wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

Suit yourself.

so what you are saying is that melo and amare were justified in "not wanting to" or "refusing to do" what their coach wanted them to do. cool.

You prefer failing, quiting like a biatch then throwing everyone under the bus without taking any responsibility.....

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
CrushAlot
USA
7/19/2016  10:13 PM
dk7th wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
dk7th wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
dk7th wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
dk7th wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
dk7th wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

Suit yourself.

D'Antoni said both players didn't want to change their roles. He didn't say they refused. We know Noah didnt want to come off the bench in Chicago. The guy was the captain and had been the heart and soul of the team. But the 'first year' head coach had him go to the bench because he thought it gave the team the best chance to win. Afflalo didn't want to go to the bench even though it was supposed to balance the second unit. D'Antoni doesn't come off looking good in any of the knick conversation on the podcast. It would have been nice if he took some ownership for things he had control over instead of passing the blame onto his players.
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

7/19/2016  10:28 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
dk7th wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
dk7th wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
dk7th wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
dk7th wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
dk7th wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

Suit yourself.

D'Antoni said both players didn't want to change their roles. He didn't say they refused. We know Noah didnt want to come off the bench in Chicago. The guy was the captain and had been the heart and soul of the team. But the 'first year' head coach had him go to the bench because he thought it gave the team the best chance to win. Afflalo didn't want to go to the bench even though it was supposed to balance the second unit. D'Antoni doesn't come off looking good in any of the knick conversation on the podcast. It would have been nice if he took some ownership for things he had control over instead of passing the blame onto his players.

Sprewell bitched and complained to anyone who would listen that he didn't want to come off the bench his first yr here. Van Gundy actually had the b@lls to actually be the Head Coach and implement his plan and tell the players to do what was best for the team or hit the road...MDA was way too passive....

dk7th
USA
7/19/2016  10:40 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:
dk7th wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
dk7th wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
dk7th wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
dk7th wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
dk7th wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

Suit yourself.

You prefer failing, quiting like a biatch then throwing everyone under the bus without taking any responsibility.....

i prefer chain of command and hierarchy but unfortunately in the nba, when the troops are being paid 100 times more than the generals you have these sorts of situations. in a healthy organization the players do what they are told, lest they acquire the reputation of being coach killers. for instance, when paul george groused about playing the 4 larry bird said "he don't make the decisions around here, i do." that's an example of how things work in a healthy, well-run organization. sadly, at that time for the knicks, it was dolan front and center. this was the same perverted scumbag dolan who was forced by stern to hire a real basketball person to replace the sick-headed malignant narcissist thomas. again, sadly, dolan still had not swallowed enough medicine, and since dolan was solely responsible for giving a hand job to melo, a power struggle resulted, wherefrom both walsh and d'antoni found the emergency exit by "resigning."

that's my interpretation of those events. you're entitled to your own interpretation. god bless

dk7th
USA
7/19/2016  10:44 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
dk7th wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
dk7th wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
dk7th wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
dk7th wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
dk7th wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

Suit yourself.

he never had the power you believe he had, just like you believe dolan and melo were not joined at the hip from february 21st 2011 onward. i doubt reality will ever sink in for you on this front. please, do keep clinging to your fantasies. it's fascinating

CrushAlot
USA
7/19/2016  11:12 PM
dk7th wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
dk7th wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
dk7th wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
dk7th wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
dk7th wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
dk7th wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

Suit yourself.

he never had the power you believe he had, just like you believe dolan and melo were not joined at the hip from february 21st 2011 onward. i doubt reality will ever sink in for you on this front. please, do keep clinging to your fantasies. it's fascinating

You are all over the place. First D'Antoni was gracious when he passed blame on his players for his not setting the line up the way he thought would best benefit the team and when he brushed over how much better the Knicks were once he left and cited circumstances changing because of injury and Woodson running the same sets. Now you are saying that he wasn't allowed to set his line ups or choose how his team played because of the owner? Come on now. Dolan outbid the Bulls for Mike. The Knicks drafted specific to his system and often took less talented players, they waived and traded guys he didn't want etc. The guy didn't present as having much of a back bone his entire tenure in NY and he certainly had total support from Donnie Walsh. When you can't rationally defend your arguments you always seem to throw Dolan in and blame him for things that could never be substantiated and are extemely far fetched.
wallstbear
Member: #6301

7/19/2016  11:30 PM
Why not. I thought MDA was merely answering a question from Woj. When his players were basically vetoing his instructions, why was he to blame for Knicks' failures?

Records or not, superstars (or rising stars, or in Linsanity's case, arguable rising stars) clash. Sometimes personal clash, sometimes basketball clash. Why can't people talk about it? We all have to pretend every team is one big happy family?

GustavBahler wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:This is called deflection.

This post is about that teams epic failure prior to Lin arriving, winning and the jealously that followed. Not Dantoni's career record

Yeah exactly. If we're going to talk about MDA's record in recent years, we should be talking about the records of everyone involved in the story (Melo, Amare, Lin) etc. Or we could just focus on the actual story. We shouldn't scrutinize MDA's records and ignore the other people's though.

As far as I know, Melo and Amare haven't given interviews lately trashing D'Antoni. I don't believe someone who has had very little success in this league for the last 8 years, in part because of his inflexibilty, should be talking negatively about anyone. Not sure why you guys think thats ok, regardless of what you think about Lin, Amare, or Melo.

wallstbear

7/19/2016  11:31 PM
Openly criticize a teammate for getting a high offer isn't a very noble thing to do, is it?

GustavBahler wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

This post is about that teams epic failure prior to Lin arriving, winning and the jealously that followed. Not Dantoni's career record

Yeah exactly. If we're going to talk about MDA's record in recent years, we should be talking about the records of everyone involved in the story (Melo, Amare, Lin) etc. Or we could just focus on the actual story. We shouldn't scrutinize MDA's records and ignore the other people's though.

As far as I know, Melo and Amare haven't given interviews lately trashing D'Antoni. I don't believe someone who has had very little success in this league for the last 8 years, in part because of his inflexibilty, should be talking negatively about anyone. Not sure why you guys think thats ok, regardless of what you think about Lin, Amare, or Melo.

Even if what MDA says reflects poorly on his character, that doesn't invalidate his points. Maybe MDA is a mean person but that's a separate topic and one that shouldn't matter to Knicks fans since he's not part of the team.

Character matters IMO when that coach starts lobbing accusations. Melo flew to Vegas to recruit Lin if I recall, dont know about Stat. And this was to recruit a player who had shown something only for a few weeks, really. For a future HOFer, All Star, to do that was a sign of great respect. How much more was he supposed to do?

wallstbear

7/19/2016  11:38 PM
While I don't disagree with your claim, if it's something as big as "**** you coach, I ain't gon' play your way", then when asked "what the hell happened", should the coach still go "nothing, we were all one big happy family"?

Bonn1997 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

Even if what MDA says reflects poorly on his character, that doesn't invalidate his points. Maybe MDA is a mean person but that's a separate topic and one that shouldn't matter to Knicks fans since he's not part of the team.

Character matters IMO when that coach starts lobbing accusations. Melo flew to Vegas to recruit Lin if I recall, dont know about Stat. And this was to recruit a player who had shown something only for a few weeks, really. For a future HOFer, All Star, to do that was a sign of great respect. How much more was he supposed to do?

I had only read the post article but I just listened to the podcast. Wow. I didn't think I could come away with having less respect for how he handled things in NY but I did.

Yeah, I do agree with your point on this. You shouldn't talk negatively about previous or current co-workers, and this does make MDA look bad. Regardless, if Melo is inflexible, it's a concern of ours.
wallstbear

7/19/2016  11:48 PM
Sure it's his job. But what if the superstar player refuses to obey? Put a gun to his head?

I am just curious. My cousin is a teacher and she has the same problem at school when students don't listen and parents get really protective. Cool kids and all, but the issue is the same.

CrushAlot wrote:
dk7th wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
dk7th wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
dk7th wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
7/20/2016  8:23 AM
wallstbear wrote:Openly criticize a teammate for getting a high offer isn't a very noble thing to do, is it?

GustavBahler wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

Yeah that's a fair point
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
7/20/2016  9:18 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/20/2016  9:19 AM
wallstbear wrote:Openly criticize a teammate for getting a high offer isn't a very noble thing to do, is it?

GustavBahler wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

Of course not; I mean what kind of person would criticize someone who apparently got incredibly overpaid for what amounted to a 2 week performance? Especially since said teammate went on to have a great HOF-level career...backing up Toney Douglass and Patrick Beverly.

Nobility....i'll have to remember that concept while I re-read all the posting about Melo's embarrassingly ridiculous Max contract.

Oh that's right, nobility only applies to teammates...

Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
7/20/2016  9:33 AM
jrodmc wrote:

GustavBahler wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

Of course not; I mean what kind of person would criticize someone who apparently got incredibly overpaid for what amounted to a 2 week performance? Especially since said teammate went on to have a great HOF-level career...backing up Toney Douglass and Patrick Beverly.

Nobility....i'll have to remember that concept while I re-read all the posting about Melo's embarrassingly ridiculous Max contract.

huh? You shouldn't publicly criticize any co-workers salaries. How much they're overpaid is irrelevant.
CrushAlot
USA
7/20/2016  9:35 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:
jrodmc wrote:

GustavBahler wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

huh? You shouldn't publicly criticize any co-workers salaries. How much they're overpaid is irrelevant.
This thread is about a former coach passing blame onto his players five years later.
“How Carmelo, Amar’e pushed Jeremy Lin out” Mike D’Antoni said in Woj podcast

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy