Knicks set meeting with Durant
Author Thread
crzymdups
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #671
USA
6/27/2016  2:47 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:

Hopefully Melo paid the the dinner they had the other day...

Hopefully he doesn't have to pay a big tampering fine.

¿ △ ?
AUTOADVERT
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

6/27/2016  2:55 PM
crzymdups wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:

No tampering fines for players, If I remember correctly...
EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
Chandler
Member: #6197

6/27/2016  3:13 PM
crzymdups wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:

crzy i know you're firmly in the "this will never happen camp" but curious about your views if it does happen (against all odds)? Do they figure out a way to make this work, or is this doomed from the start as ill-fitting?

the team has already surprised you at least once this off season (no Rambis) and maybe twice (not sure if you were surprised by Rose trade but I suspect so)...

Maybe we've been so beaten up over the decades we simply don't expect things like getting KD in his prime. It could be truly transformative for all players (Melo, Rose, KP and KD) having that many other options...

(5)(5)
crzymdups
USA
6/27/2016  3:19 PM
Chandler wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:

crzy i know you're firmly in the "this will never happen camp" but curious about your views if it does happen (against all odds)? Do they figure out a way to make this work, or is this doomed from the start as ill-fitting?

the team has already surprised you at least once this off season (no Rambis) and maybe twice (not sure if you were surprised by Rose trade but I suspect so)...

Maybe we've been so beaten up over the decades we simply don't expect things like getting KD in his prime. It could be truly transformative for all players (Melo, Rose, KP and KD) having that many other options...

I just don't think it fits from a basketball perspective to have four guys in your starting lineup who need 20 shots a night to be their best. Especially when two of those guys play the same position and play it in very similar ways.

Is Durant better than Melo? OF COURSE HE IS. ABSOLUTELY HE IS.

It still doesn't make sense to have them on the same squad to me.

I think Durant is aware of that.

Not only that, but he seems to be focusing on teams that won 50+ games last season and were top four seeds in their conference:

Warriors 73 wins 1st seed,
Spurs 67 wins 2nd seed,
Thunder 55 wins 3rd seed,
Clippers 53 wins 4th seed,
Boston 48 wins 4th seed,
Miami 48 wins 3rd seed

Which team doesn't belong in that conversation?
Knicks 32 wins 13th seed

I just think it is a waste of time.

¿ △ ?
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

6/27/2016  3:38 PM
crzymdups wrote:
Chandler wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:

I just don't think it fits from a basketball perspective to have four guys in your starting lineup who need 20 shots a night to be their best. Especially when two of those guys play the same position and play it in very similar ways.

Is Durant better than Melo? OF COURSE HE IS. ABSOLUTELY HE IS.

It still doesn't make sense to have them on the same squad to me.

I think Durant is aware of that.

Not only that, but he seems to be focusing on teams that won 50+ games last season and were top four seeds in their conference:

Warriors 73 wins 1st seed,
Spurs 67 wins 2nd seed,
Thunder 55 wins 3rd seed,
Clippers 53 wins 4th seed,
Boston 48 wins 4th seed,
Miami 48 wins 3rd seed

Which team doesn't belong in that conversation?
Knicks 32 wins 13th seed

I just think it is a waste of time.

Anthony would have to be Olympic's Anthony.

Rose would have to be more of a facilitator...can he do this?

KP would adapt...here is where his Euro background helps.

Durant would have to give up a little of his game too, of course.

A healthy Noah would be the perfect 5, since he can pass and does not need to score to be good.

Biggest problem would be D. Is Durant a SG at this point on the defensive end...can he guard 2's? Do you risk putting KP at the 5 if you can't get Noah?

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
crzymdups
USA
6/27/2016  3:44 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:

A healthy Noah would be the perfect 5, since he can pass and does not need to score to be good.

Biggest problem would be D. Is Durant a SG at this point on the defensive end...can he guard 2's? Do you risk putting KP at the 5 if you can't get Noah?

KD is 6'11" - he's quick now... at age 27... but where would he be quick enough to play there in two years? Heck, I think it is a terrible idea to put him at SG now.

To me the only way it even slightly makes sense is if you go KD/Melo/KP frontline... and that seems like a defensive liability, too.

I just don't see it making sense on the floor.

Even if Melo and KP had won 55 games last season - I can't see Durant looking at those two and thinking "I would play really well next to those two guys"

¿ △ ?
crzymdups
USA
6/27/2016  4:05 PM
¿ △ ?
mreinman
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3189

6/27/2016  4:06 PM
crzymdups wrote:

Durant ain't coming here. If he leaves OKC, it would have to be for a team that can compete for a ring next year. That is not us.

so here is what phil is thinking ....
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
6/27/2016  4:21 PM
mreinman wrote:
crzymdups wrote:

Durant ain't coming here. If he leaves OKC, it would have to be for a team that can compete for a ring next year. That is not us.

If Durant joins the team the Knicks most Certainly would be contenders. How the F would any team with that much talent not be able to compete in the East??? You really think Phil wouldn't be able to round out the roster that consists of KD, KP, Melo and Rose at the core? WTF is wrong with people? How many teams with that much talent have not be able to contend? COME ON!

As for fit, with the way the game is played now, you don't need to worry about POSITIONS. You just play basketball. KD, KP and Melo can score from anywhere on the floor. IMO you would have to work on the rotations and defensive chemistry but that is a good problem to have IMO. You play KP at the 5 and Melo at the 4 and what problem do you really have? KP will have ample backup off the bench to be able to deal with that role.

Knickoftime
Member: #3370

6/27/2016  4:22 PM
mreinman wrote:
crzymdups wrote:

See Cleveland-James Part 1, Cleveland-post James and Cleveland James part 2.

OKC with Durant hurt most of the year: Lottery

OKC with healthy Durant: Beats SA, up 3-1 in WCF.

Durant is a transformative player. Maybe not on James's level, but he singe-handedly elevates a team into the conversation, particularly in the East.

Likely? Of course not. Durant may be intent on getting his first ring by any means necessary, and that be to join Curry's team or become a superpro in San Antonio (although it's likely he returns to OKC for one more try).

But the Knicks would be a much, much, much different team with him.

Just like Cleveland is/was, without and without.

SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

6/27/2016  4:25 PM
crzymdups wrote:

oh God he said the Knicks are formidable...

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
crzymdups
USA
6/27/2016  4:25 PM
Knickoftime wrote:
mreinman wrote:
crzymdups wrote:

Durant is a transformative player. Maybe not on James's level, but he singe-handedly elevates a team into the conversation, particularly in the East.

Likely? Of course not. Durant may be intent on getting his first ring by any means necessary, and that be to join Curry's team or become a superpro in San Antonio (although it's likely he returns to OKC for one more try).

Sure.

My issue isn't that Durant wouldn't make the Knicks better. Of course he would. I just think it's an awkward fit with Melo. You really think they'd be championship contenders? I really don't. He's on s championship squad now. His main priority is winning. There are other teams that give him a better chance.

¿ △ ?
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
6/27/2016  4:30 PM
crzymdups wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:

KD is 6'11" - he's quick now... at age 27... but where would he be quick enough to play there in two years? Heck, I think it is a terrible idea to put him at SG now.

To me the only way it even slightly makes sense is if you go KD/Melo/KP frontline... and that seems like a defensive liability, too.

I just don't see it making sense on the floor.

Even if Melo and KP had won 55 games last season - I can't see Durant looking at those two and thinking "I would play really well next to those two guys"

it would truly be positonless basketball. I mean KD at SG doesn't mean he becomes Reggie Miller. We know Melo can play the 4 so plenty of KD's minutes come at the 3. On defense what are you asking him? Stay in front of the jumpershooter, and when they take you off the dribble block the middle and concede the edge, but then you are pushing your man towards the shotblocking.

It sounds far fetched because nobody has the talent to do it. Almost as far fetched as playing a 3 guard line up with a PF that is 6'7 and shoots 3s.

If the Knicks shared the ball they are impossible to defend. They would be pretty good on the boards and protecting the rim also.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Knickoftime

6/27/2016  4:38 PM
crzymdups wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
mreinman wrote:
crzymdups wrote:

Sure.

My issue isn't that Durant wouldn't make the Knicks better. Of course he would. I just think it's an awkward fit with Melo. You really think they'd be championship contenders?

Assuming KP keeps getting better and Rose is 75% of Rose and health, I think they're a puncher's chance and/or a Cleveland injury from having as good as shot at the Finals as anyone but Cleveland.

Whether than qualifies as "contender" status is likely a matter of interpretation. And considering KP, and that Durant and Rose are both 27th, and Rose's contract and next year's cap, it's not like a one-year window.

His main priority is winning. There are other teams that give him a better chance.

I don't pretend to know exactly what motivates players. By policy, I don't discount where a players and their family will make their home for a year(s). Anyone who doesn't believe that's a factor probably doesn't have a family. That could work for or against any city, btw.

But again, I just don't pretend to know exactly what another human being with an entirely different experiences, is thinking, including accounting for what they might tweet or how they answer an interview question.

It just has no upside.

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
6/27/2016  4:46 PM
As I was saying earlier in the thread, Melo, KD and Rose are friends and they know how good they each are and how good they'd be together. You add KP on top of that and you're talking about a contender. The Freakin Raptors got to the ECF's with DeRozan and Lowry. That team is solid but they aren't loaded. Role players look so much better when you have top line talent carrying most of the load.
mreinman
Member: #3189

6/27/2016  4:53 PM
Knickoftime wrote:
mreinman wrote:
crzymdups wrote:

of course he would make the knicks much better but he can make other teams actual contenders. And, as you said, Durant is not Lebron and we are not his cleveland.

I know we have diehards that think that we are good enough that he can put us over the top but I don't think that is remotely true.

Of course, if Rose reverts to anything close to MVP Rose, Melo is olympic Melo and KP fastracks his growth to Dirk levels, we would be contenders. You think that KD is such a gambler?

so here is what phil is thinking ....
Knickoftime

6/27/2016  5:01 PM
mreinman wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
mreinman wrote:
crzymdups wrote:

of course he would make the knicks much better but he can make other teams actual contenders. And, as you said, Durant is not Lebron and we are not his cleveland.

I know we have diehards that think that we are good enough that he can put us over the top but I don't think that is remotely true.

Of course, if Rose reverts to anything close to MVP Rose, Melo is olympic Melo and KP fastracks his growth to Dirk levels, we would be contenders. You think that KD is such a gambler?

I have NO idea what KD is thinking and have no inclination to try.

If he's writing rosters down on a white sheet of paper and his ONLY criteria is which he thinks is the best with him on it, yeah, I think he can assume he'd agree the the Knicks fall short.

I'll wait until he actually joins the warriors, however, to assume that's his sole decision making process.

crzymdups
USA
6/27/2016  5:08 PM
Knickoftime wrote:
mreinman wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
mreinman wrote:
crzymdups wrote:

I have NO idea what KD is thinking and have no inclination to try.

If he's writing rosters down on a white sheet of paper and his ONLY criteria is which he thinks is the best with him on it, yeah, I think he can assume he'd agree the the Knicks fall short.

I'll wait until he actually joins the warriors, however, to assume that's his sole decision making process.

We have a little bit of an idea what he's thinking - because the list of six teams he's meeting with has been reported by Woj and the Knicks aren't on it. Spurs, Warriors, OKC, Clippers, Heat, Celtics.

¿ △ ?
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
6/27/2016  5:09 PM
Tommy Dee trying to reset.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
crzymdups
USA
6/27/2016  5:10 PM
CrushAlot wrote:Tommy Dee trying to reset.

LOL. Spin, Tommy! Spin for your life!!

¿ △ ?
Knicks set meeting with Durant

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy