Member: #3189

7/24/2016  10:58 PM
nixluva wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
EwingsGlass wrote:
Stevo718 wrote:

He's already an upgrade over Aflalo,

man, he never misses a shot..

The guy has skill and natural ability. All he needs is an opportunity... being buried on 2 teams with guys ahead of him on the depth chart sucks. He's going to get a shot here

NAH Eny he has to suck cuz you know... he's on the Knicks now!

It's just funny sometimes how jaded Knicks fans have become. Rather than investigate and do the research on players they want to piss on anyone we pick up just cuz they aren't a big name. I had no knowledge of this kid before this deal, but I like what i'm seeing of him and hope that he can contribute. He looks like the right kind of player for how we want to play.

or you can say that now that he is on the knicks he has to be great.

Its funny sometimes how jaded and biased some knick fans are

so here is what phil is thinking ....
AUTOADVERT
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
7/24/2016  11:09 PM
Nice article on Holiday from a bulls blog. Nothing about him being great, just a solid hustle guy that was a good pickup for the Bulls at the time.
http://www.blogabull.com/2016/3/28/11288144/trading-for-justin-holiday-actually-turned-out-to-be-a-great-move-for
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
7/25/2016  12:35 AM
CrushAlot wrote:Nice article on Holiday from a bulls blog. Nothing about him being great, just a solid hustle guy that was a good pickup for the Bulls at the time.
http://www.blogabull.com/2016/3/28/11288144/trading-for-justin-holiday-actually-turned-out-to-be-a-great-move-for

Nice find Crush.

Looks like in a series of bad moves this year, the Bulls front office managed to get one thing right : the Justin Holiday trade

The 2016 trade deadline offered Chicago a chance to hit the reset button and give them some freedom heading into free agency Maybe clear some cap space, give Hoiberg a chance to get the players that fit his system, and then go from there. That seemed like the route Chicago should have taken.

Instead, all that happened was a final-moments move where Chicago decided to trade Kirk Hinrich for Justin Holiday (and a 2nd round pick) in a three-team deal with the Jazz and Hawks. It seemed more like a salary dump more than anything and at the time it didn't seem like a good move at all. You moved Kirk Hinrich, a fan favorite and a good locker room guy, for a player that nobody knows and probably wasn't going to play? Sounded like another blown trade deadline for the front office.

But Holiday has shown the Bulls something to work with in his short stint here. He's a solid energy player and in a bench that has struggled all season (with the exception of Doug McDermott), Holiday has shown that he can be a guy that will give you a solid 15 minutes off the bench. He's also taken Tony Snell's spot in the rotation as it seems the Bulls have finally given up on the 2013 draft pick.

When he's on the court Holiday gives the Bulls something that Snell didn't, energy. Holiday is not a scorer or a defensive stopper. He can't create his own shot and can't take over a game for the Bulls. But he's a hustle guy who will work on both ends of the court. Holiday doesn't try to force anything on the offensive end and if the occasional opportunity for an easy layup or open three (he's shooting 40% from deep as a Bull) is there, he takes it. His play in the open court has also helped the Bulls as well. For a team that has seemed as out of it as the Bulls have, Holiday's play and energy has been a pleasant surprise.

Another thing to love about Holiday's play right now is his contract, which is essentially the veteran's minimum. His cap hit is around $1m for next year, over a million less than Snell. Chicago has made some pretty bad moves when it comes to cap space, but getting Holiday for cheap and seeing that he can give you something turned out to be a good move for the Bulls.

For the dumpster fire of a season that has been the 2015-16 Chicago Bulls there are some positives to take away from this. Yes, there are positives in this Bulls season. The play of Derrick Rose, the rise of E'Twaun Moore and Doug McDermott are all good things to take away from this. The front office have been absolutely a joke this season but you should give them credit for the Holiday trade, no mater how much we don't want to.

Ira
Member: #91
7/25/2016  8:24 AM
One thing I'm reading about him is that he's good defensively. Except for the point guard position, our team should be pretty good defensively.
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
7/25/2016  8:26 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/25/2016  8:26 AM
mreinman wrote:
nixluva wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
EwingsGlass wrote:
Stevo718 wrote:

The guy has skill and natural ability. All he needs is an opportunity... being buried on 2 teams with guys ahead of him on the depth chart sucks. He's going to get a shot here

It's just funny sometimes how jaded Knicks fans have become. Rather than investigate and do the research on players they want to piss on anyone we pick up just cuz they aren't a big name. I had no knowledge of this kid before this deal, but I like what i'm seeing of him and hope that he can contribute. He looks like the right kind of player for how we want to play.

Or you can not be funny or jaded or biased or overly homer and just note that our bench backcourt of Jennings and Holiday would kick the living sheehit out of any one of our starting backcourts from last season.

blkexec
Member: #748
7/25/2016  9:15 AM
jrodmc wrote:
mreinman wrote:
nixluva wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
EwingsGlass wrote:
Stevo718 wrote:

Or you can not be funny or jaded or biased or overly homer and just note that our bench backcourt of Jennings and Holiday would kick the living sheehit out of any one of our starting backcourts from last season.

I would like to see how they match up against rose and lee.....during practice. Seems like it could be a good one if holidays defense and shooting is as advertised.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

7/25/2016  9:19 AM
He had a PER of 9 last year... I have fallen completely asleep on him
Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
7/25/2016  9:59 AM
SupremeCommander wrote:He had a PER of 9 last year... I have fallen completely asleep on him

you were also asleep during the "PER as a stat sucks" conversation

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
7/25/2016  10:39 AM
We could use a high energy SG off the bench and it seems that's what Holiday is. I really don't see a downside. He's not a rookie and seems to know how to play! He has speed, length, athletic ability and looks like a skilled enough player. We at least have someone behind Lee who looks like he's ready to contribute.
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

7/25/2016  11:18 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/25/2016  11:20 AM
martin wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:He had a PER of 9 last year... I have fallen completely asleep on him

i was likely sleeping through the entire advanced stat class because all those numbers suck

That said PER is way to quickly asses weather or not a player is any good. I think a PER of 9 demonstrates quite clearly that this 28 y/o has produced less than mediocre results

Don't get me wrong I'd love to be wrong on this one but I just don't see it nor do I care to spend any time evaluating. If he proves me wrong great but the evidence suggests you would have be nixluva to think he's going to be any good for any meaningful period of time

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
mreinman
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3189

7/25/2016  5:49 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:
martin wrote:

i was likely sleeping through the entire advanced stat class because all those numbers suck

That said PER is way to quickly asses weather or not a player is any good. I think a PER of 9 demonstrates quite clearly that this 28 y/o has produced less than mediocre results

Don't get me wrong I'd love to be wrong on this one but I just don't see it nor do I care to spend any time evaluating. If he proves me wrong great but the evidence suggests you would have be nixluva to think he's going to be any good for any meaningful period of time

His WS48 is not good but he is young and that is common. What really surprised me was how well he shot the 3 last year (43%!). His efficiency was overall bad because of how bad he was with his 2 points shots which is either just bad IQ or he can be coached to be smarter about his shot selection.

There is definitely potential positive here ...

so here is what phil is thinking ....
Finestrg
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1069

7/31/2016  3:20 AM
Check this out when you get a chance. Great watch:

I'm excited about this guy. Real good player to get back in that trade, man. I feel dumb that I discounted him at first.. He seems like a real mature, good person. His wife and dad as well. So much respect for the amount of work he's put in to get to this point -- and all the players out there that have gone the same route.

Don't sleep on Justin Holiday...

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy