[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Rockets hire D'Antoni
Author Thread
tj23
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #3119

5/27/2016  8:06 AM
Ouch. That's a brutal move. I would think that makes them a lock to NOT make the playoffs
AUTOADVERT
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
5/27/2016  8:22 AM
crzymdups wrote:Sort of surprised the Rockets didn't go for Blatt. Though I could see him clashing with Harden.

I'm sort of rooting to see MDA have success one last time. He got kind of a raw deal in both NY and LA.

Absolutely, but he's going to need more than harden to keep up with GS and okc.

The thing is, he needs a floor general that can run his offense, or he is a very avg coach, and I really like MDA. Maybe if he can get seth curry, that would be a boost to booth of them

ES
Swishfm3
Member: #392
5/27/2016  9:06 AM
The most overrated coach to coach the most overrated player playing for the most overrated organization with the most overrated GM.

perfect

matt
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #487
USA
5/27/2016  9:38 AM
D'Antoni sucks at dealing with questionable locker rooms, so I am excited to watch this explode
mreinman
Member: #3189

5/27/2016  11:18 AM
smackeddog wrote:
wargames wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:Harden's numbers are going to go up even more. Bye bye Beverley
I wonder if they get rid of Brewer also. It was a long time ago now but he was the reason the Knicks didn't keep Brewer when they acquired him.

They might keep Beverly. He can shoot the 3..... Brewer is gone though

Yep after the Melo trade decimated our roster depth, we ended up buying out/cutting Brewer before even giving him a shot (didn't we get him from the Twolves at the deadline?) because D'Antoni wouldn't give him playing time- it infuriated me at the time.

it was favor for happy walters SMDH

so here is what phil is thinking ....
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
5/27/2016  2:35 PM
mreinman wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
wargames wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
I wonder if they get rid of Brewer also. It was a long time ago now but he was the reason the Knicks didn't keep Brewer when they acquired him.

Yep after the Melo trade decimated our roster depth, we ended up buying out/cutting Brewer before even giving him a shot (didn't we get him from the Twolves at the deadline?) because D'Antoni wouldn't give him playing time- it infuriated me at the time.

People have never accepted this for some reason. It's too easy to just hate on MDA for the Brewer thing.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
5/27/2016  3:41 PM
nixluva wrote:
mreinman wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
wargames wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

People have never accepted this for some reason. It's too easy to just hate on MDA for the Brewer thing.

The favor was done because D'Antoni wasn't going to play him and his agent wanted him on a team where he would get minutes. The guy was minimally a very good defensive player and young.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
nixluva
USA
5/27/2016  3:58 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
nixluva wrote:
mreinman wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
wargames wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

The favor was done because D'Antoni wasn't going to play him and his agent wanted him on a team where he would get minutes. The guy was minimally a very good defensive player and young.

Fair enough but MDA isn't anti Brewer and I don't see him looking to move him as if he hates him. MDA has put up with all kinds of players and I don't see Brewer as somehow outside of the norm.

NardDogNation
Member: #5555

5/27/2016  5:00 PM
mreinman wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
wargames wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

..it became a favor to Happy Walters (Amare's agent) BECAUSE D'Antoni was upfront about not playing Brewer. And that decision created a domino effect where we became forced to use the amnesty on Billups to sign Tyson Chandler...which prevented us from instead using the amnesty on Amare....which prevented us from potentially making a run at a Paul Millsap. Imagine how radically different things could've been with a guy like that on the roster as opposed to $20 million worth of dead weight i.e. Amare Stoudemire.

nixluva
USA
5/27/2016  5:48 PM
The few times MDA had a decent PG his system works. Even after he left Woodson used the MDA stuff successfully for much of the season before he fell back into heavy ISO. I would think he can be successful in Houston with a supportive GM. For most coaches that makes all the difference. Just look at how Hornacek was screwed by his GM.
CrushAlot
USA
5/27/2016  5:59 PM
nixluva wrote:The few times MDA had a decent PG his system works. Even after he left Woodson used the MDA stuff successfully for much of the season before he fell back into heavy ISO. I would think he can be successful in Houston with a supportive GM. For most coaches that makes all the difference. Just look at how Hornacek was screwed by his GM.

I really like the clutchfans site. I am not a rocket fan but they have some good information on there. Speculation on that site is that Les Alexander was the guy that wanted D'Antoni. If D'Antoni and Morey can work together there is a chance that they could be very successful.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

5/27/2016  7:29 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/27/2016  7:31 PM
They are going to have to make wholesale changes to play Dantoni style.

Though I can see Beasley playing the 4 for them. Harden has to be the lead guard though. Doesn't work any other way

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
93BUICK
Member: #1175
USA
5/27/2016  9:44 PM
RCKETS
If you are still following the team and reading sites like this, there is nothing, short of your own demise, that is going to throw you off this train.
93BUICK
Member: #1175
USA
5/27/2016  10:03 PM
EnySpree wrote:They are going to have to make wholesale changes to play Dantoni style.

Though I can see Beasley playing the 4 for them. Harden has to be the lead guard though. Doesn't work any other way

They believe in Harden -- I guess if you're all in with him the best move is to truly be all in- and they think it's being Super Suns and not making Harden tough up on D and go more traditional.

I bet would love Rolo - and a Dwight S and T switchout would be easy --makes me barf and I hate trade Rolo ideas so I'm sorry for saying it----but maybe Phil sees something I don't ---and it's tied a 1st round pick for us and a non cap killing price and they take JOSE because it's . If Phil and Horny believed though I would buy in but be scared.

If you are still following the team and reading sites like this, there is nothing, short of your own demise, that is going to throw you off this train.
NardDogNation
Member: #5555

5/27/2016  11:29 PM
93BUICK wrote:
EnySpree wrote:They are going to have to make wholesale changes to play Dantoni style.

They believe in Harden -- I guess if you're all in with him the best move is to truly be all in- and they think it's being Super Suns and not making Harden tough up on D and go more traditional.

I bet would love Rolo - and a Dwight S and T switchout would be easy --makes me barf and I hate trade Rolo ideas so I'm sorry for saying it----but maybe Phil sees something I don't ---and it's tied a 1st round pick for us and a non cap killing price and they take JOSE because it's . If Phil and Horny believed though I would buy in but be scared.

Blasphemy straight from the lips of beezelebob, lol. I wouldn't want Dwight under any circumstances. There is no hope for the man unless a team is desperate enough to turn the keys to their framchise over to him. DAL or MIA might be the only teams willing to do that this late in Dwight's career.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

5/28/2016  3:48 PM
Lets see if D'Antoni gets a "defensive coordinator". If he does and the defense improves, they might actually do well. If he doesn't get one, it will most likely be more of the same. If Harden crashes and burns with shot happy MDA, Im guessing Harden will be leaving too, one way or another.

Im half expecting D'Antoni to make a pitch for bringing Lin back.

nixluva
USA
5/28/2016  7:50 PM
GustavBahler wrote:Lets see if D'Antoni gets a "defensive coordinator". If he does and the defense improves, they might actually do well. If he doesn't get one, it will most likely be more of the same. If Harden crashes and burns with shot happy MDA, Im guessing Harden will be leaving too, one way or another.

I think the bad defense thing is overrated with MDA. If he has good defensive players they'll be good defensively. A lot of the bad D in PHX was with Amare in the middle. We saw 1st hand how bad Amare is on D. The other players on the Suns played D. They were usually middle of the Pack on D. They were a top team in Point Differential. They were usually a top team in offensive efficiency.

A lot of coaches have a defensive guru tho. Hornacek had one and he's with the Cavs now. His name is Longabardi and is a Thibs disciple. MDA will probably get someone too.

It would be funny if MDA got Lin again given the history with himself and the Rockets.

CrushAlot
USA
5/28/2016  8:23 PM
GustavBahler wrote:Lets see if D'Antoni gets a "defensive coordinator". If he does and the defense improves, they might actually do well. If he doesn't get one, it will most likely be more of the same. If Harden crashes and burns with shot happy MDA, Im guessing Harden will be leaving too, one way or another.

I think Jeff Bdzelik is supposed to be coaching the defense.
GustavBahler

5/28/2016  11:31 PM
nixluva wrote:

I think the bad defense thing is overrated with MDA. If he has good defensive players they'll be good defensively. A lot of the bad D in PHX was with Amare in the middle. We saw 1st hand how bad Amare is on D. The other players on the Suns played D. They were usually middle of the Pack on D. They were a top team in Point Differential. They were usually a top team in offensive efficiency.

A lot of coaches have a defensive guru tho. Hornacek had one and he's with the Cavs now. His name is Longabardi and is a Thibs disciple. MDA will probably get someone too.

It would be funny if MDA got Lin again given the history with himself and the Rockets.

According to some former players on the Suns, it was as much a philosophical choice as much as it was Amare's defense. Dont believe that is an unfair characterization since D'Antoni rejected calls for such help in the past.

I thought the same thing you did about MDA and defense when he was first hired to be Knicks coach, but not by the time he left. Some great coaches across many sports over the years have relied on top assistants to help get them over the top. No shame in that.

GustavBahler

5/28/2016  11:33 PM
CrushAlot wrote:

I think Jeff Bdzelik is supposed to be coaching the defense.

Sounds like a good choice.

Rockets hire D'Antoni

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy