[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Toronto sucks
Author Thread
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
5/24/2016  8:51 AM
btw, look at derozan's numbers the past 7-8 games in the playoffs. first series, paul george (an all world defender) was allowed to be physical and locked him down. then w/o the shot blocking presence and individual defender, dd's started coming around. cavs scored 14 straight times but couldn't pull away b/c dd matched them.
AUTOADVERT
Chandler
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6197

5/24/2016  8:52 AM
mreinman wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
mreinman wrote:
ChuckBuck wrote:Derozan really impressed me this series. Didn't think it was possible for a shooting guard in today's NBA to score back to back 32 point games efficiently without taking 3s.

yes but its a bit feast or famine with him especially since he can't shoot 3's.

He's not really that good at 2s either (in the last 3 years, .447 overall and .405 in the playoffs).

His efficiency comes from getting to the line and being a very good FT shooter.

This.^. It's not about the last two games. I've been raising his name all year

There's a lot to be said for a guy who continues to attack the rim. Not only does that yield FT (at least in part he regular season when whistles are actually blown) but the opponent gets in foul trouble w potentially enormous benefit from their being less aggressive on offense and defense late in the game. There's no good stat to capture that but it's real.

Also there's a lot to be said for midrange game when done right. Missing 3s can lead to long rebounds and fast breaks. Midrange and down low you have a better chance to establish your defense.

(5)(5)
mreinman
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3189

5/24/2016  8:59 AM
djsunyc wrote:we have grit and we fight.

we survived two game 7's. i think those were huge in terms of our development. after blowing an 18 point lead and then actually giving up the lead in the 4th, we still came back to win. probably the best win in franchise history.

this is the same team that got swept last year in the first round.

ujiri did not panic - believed in it's core and added to it with 3 tough defensive minded guys - biz + dec + cojo.

i have criticized casey thoroughly for many year but he has this team 1 win away from being 1 win away. he was the defensive coordinator for the mavs when they beat miami in the finals so maybe he has a good idea on how to contain a lebron team?

still think the smart money is on the cavs winning the series but that's why you play the games.

eny is right - if lowry is hitting shots, we have a chance to beat any team. that was also dd's best game i've ever seen him play considering the stakes.

i think casey + staff anticipated cavs going to mosgov a bit to put a big body on biz. that's why we activated jonas in case that happened. if jonas can come back healthy - we have a legit shot at anyone. playoffs man - throw everything from the regular season out the window - it's just one possession at a time. anything can happen.

People don't realize how much Cory Joseph means to that team and how much pressure he takes of Lowry.

so here is what phil is thinking ....
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
5/24/2016  9:03 AM

we survived two game 7's. i think those were huge in terms of our development. after blowing an 18 point lead and then actually giving up the lead in the 4th, we still came back to win. probably the best win in franchise history.

ujiri did not panic - believed in it's core and added to it with 3 tough defensive minded guys - biz + dec + cojo.

i have criticized casey thoroughly for many year but he has this team 1 win away from being 1 win away. he was the defensive coordinator for the mavs when they beat miami in the finals so maybe he has a good idea on how to contain a lebron team?

still think the smart money is on the cavs winning the series but that's why you play the games.

eny is right - if lowry is hitting shots, we have a chance to beat any team. that was also dd's best game i've ever seen him play considering the stakes.

i think casey + staff anticipated cavs going to mosgov a bit to put a big body on biz. that's why we activated jonas in case that happened. if jonas can come back healthy - we have a legit shot at anyone. playoffs man - throw everything from the regular season out the window - it's just one possession at a time. anything can happen.

Yea Toronto could have just told themselves they aren't good enough toncompete with the Cavs and mailed it in. Instead they started swinging back and started making Cavs earn it.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
mreinman

5/24/2016  9:06 AM
Chandler wrote:
mreinman wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
mreinman wrote:
ChuckBuck wrote:Derozan really impressed me this series. Didn't think it was possible for a shooting guard in today's NBA to score back to back 32 point games efficiently without taking 3s.

He's not really that good at 2s either (in the last 3 years, .447 overall and .405 in the playoffs).

This.^. It's not about the last two games. I've been raising his name all year

There's a lot to be said for a guy who continues to attack the rim. Not only does that yield FT (at least in part he regular season when whistles are actually blown) but the opponent gets in foul trouble w potentially enormous benefit from their being less aggressive on offense and defense late in the game. There's no good stat to capture that but it's real.

Also there's a lot to be said for midrange game when done right. Missing 3s can lead to long rebounds and fast breaks. Midrange and down low you have a better chance to establish your defense.

the bolded part is a very old school way of thinking that has pretty much been disproved and thrown out. The long rebound theory has been studied and teams actually have better chances at offensive rebounding 3's than 2's.

Also, teams shoot an average of 35% from 3 and barely 40% from mid to long 2's. The 5% diff is beyond negligible if one would attempt to make your above argument. The Effective Field Goal difference is huge.

newyorknewyork
Member: #541
5/24/2016  9:06 AM
mreinman wrote:

People don't realize how much Cory Joseph means to that team and how much pressure he takes of Lowry.

He has been really good all playoffs. Even being a go to guy late in the 4th when Lowry was struggling.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
mreinman

5/24/2016  9:08 AM
newyorknewyork wrote:
mreinman wrote:

He has been really good all playoffs. Even being a go to guy late in the 4th when Lowry was struggling.

Not even that Lowry is struggling but sometimes they would rather Lowry playing off the ball and it also depends who is guarding who.

djsunyc
5/24/2016  9:11 AM
cojo's defense on kyrie has been all nba level. kyrie just made some sick shots last night.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
5/24/2016  9:11 AM
EnySpree wrote:
ChuckBuck wrote:Wow. Maybe Toronto is actually good?

Always after a thread like this is made guys wake up and start playing. I bet DJSUNYC drove to Lowry house and personally showed him this thread.

Lowry awake is the spoon that stirs the drink. Great last two games. Biyombo is going to get a 400% raise

yeah i first quickly read that as DJ driving to Lowry's house and showering him

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
mreinman

5/24/2016  9:12 AM
djsunyc wrote:cojo's defense on kyrie has been all nba level. kyrie just made some sick shots last night.

His defense is icing on the cake. His efficient offense and high IQ is why I wanted him here.

Casey really gets those guys to play defense though I really question his offensive sets.

Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
5/24/2016  9:14 AM
mreinman wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
mreinman wrote:

It's more like his FT shooting slightly mitigates his brutal inefficiency from the field. I could go along with your statement if we ignored his previous 6 seasons and all his post-seasons, but that's pretty desperate.
djsunyc
5/24/2016  9:15 AM
martin wrote:
EnySpree wrote:

Always after a thread like this is made guys wake up and start playing. I bet DJSUNYC drove to Lowry house and personally showed him this thread.

Lowry awake is the spoon that stirs the drink. Great last two games. Biyombo is going to get a 400% raise

like you never went to porzingis' and polished his unicorn horn?

mreinman

5/24/2016  9:17 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:
mreinman wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
mreinman wrote:

It's more like his FT shooting slightly mitigates his brutal inefficiency from the field. I could go along with your statement if we ignored his previous 6 seasons and all his post-seasons, but that's pretty desperate.

I was not defending his career, I was giving some clarity of how he got to a TS% of 55 with being such an inefficient shooter.

Bonn1997
USA
5/24/2016  9:18 AM
mreinman wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
mreinman wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
mreinman wrote:

I was not defending his career, I was giving some clarity of how he got to a TS% of 55 with being such an inefficient shooter.

So you are basically just looking at one regular season and none of his post-seasons? Why?
djsunyc
5/24/2016  9:18 AM    LAST EDITED: 5/24/2016  9:19 AM
these playoffs have changed the way i evaluate players. up until this year, i've always evaluated players on how the team plays and throughout the course of a season. but the raptors now have been to the playoffs 3 years in a row so i had to change to start evaluating guys on how they perform in the playoffs.

i do not like derozan's game. he frustrates the heck out of me. but his ability to score in a half court set in the playoffs when you need buckets is a dimension that is very tough to replace. we could replace him with a guy like batum and become this great multi-faceted more efficient attack but with the game on the line in the playoffs, can batum keep going at the cavs and scoring? i don't think he can.

the key is to limit derozan's bad and put him in more efficient situations. hope casey changes the offense a bit next year - but i think he understands he has to.

Bonn1997
USA
5/24/2016  9:20 AM
djsunyc wrote:these playoffs have changed the way i evaluate players. up until this year, i've always evaluated players on how the team plays and throughout the course of a season. but the raptors now have been to the playoffs 3 years in a row so i had to change to start evaluating guys on how they perform in the playoffs.

i do not like derozan's game. he frustrates the heck out of me. but his ability to score in a half court set in the playoffs when you need buckets is a dimension that is very tough to replace. we could replace him with a guy like batum and become this great multi-faceted more efficient attack but with the game on the line in the playoffs, can batum keep going at the cavs and scoring? i don't think he can.

the key is to limit derozan's bad and put him in more efficient situations. hope casey changes the offense a bit next year - but i think he understands he has to.

OK, but that's not the kind of description I'd want to use for a max contract player. $10 mil like this year? Sure.
mreinman

5/24/2016  9:23 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:
mreinman wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
mreinman wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
mreinman wrote:

So you are basically just looking at one regular season and none of his post-seasons? Why?

dude ... you are reading into way too much from what I wrote.

He is not an efficient player and he had one decent regular season (besides maybe his rookie year). I am stating that the only efficient part of his game is FT shooting and FTA's. Without that, he would be a complete disaster/bottom of the league in regards to efficiency.

I still think that he has potential to be much more efficient but someone would have to get into mini melo's head.

djsunyc
5/24/2016  9:33 AM    LAST EDITED: 5/24/2016  9:34 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:
djsunyc wrote:these playoffs have changed the way i evaluate players. up until this year, i've always evaluated players on how the team plays and throughout the course of a season. but the raptors now have been to the playoffs 3 years in a row so i had to change to start evaluating guys on how they perform in the playoffs.

OK, but that's not the kind of description I'd want to use for a max contract player. $10 mil like this year? Sure.

in all honesty - the knicks (and a number of other teams) are still in the mode of looking for the regular season player - looking for guys to establish a winning culture from nov - april. derozan is a very good regular season player, model citizen and franchise guy. he is entering his prime and getting better every year. the new nba contracts given out are going to take folks a while to adjust to but he is a max player in this current nba climate. he is no different than a guy like lamarcus aldridge and i think he has more "edge" than aldridge too. but he's effective b/c lowry is the alpha dog - so the team will require one if you want him to join. but this discussion is hypothetical b/c the chances he leaves toronto are like 0.01%.

fishmike
Member: #298
USA
5/24/2016  9:43 AM
djsunyc wrote:
martin wrote:
EnySpree wrote:

like you never went to porzingis' and polished his unicorn horn?

That shines all by itself. No extra rubbing needed
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Vmart
Member: #247
USA
5/24/2016  9:54 AM
mreinman wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
fishmike wrote:Toronto is in great shape. They have good players, a good cap and extra picks. With decent management they should be a 2nd round playoff team for man years. The problem is they remind me a bit of the Hawks of the 90s. Steve Smith, Mookie, Willis, they had lot of good teams, always made the playoffs, often advanced, and everyone knew they were did not have the ponies to contend. Toronto is facing similar. The problem is their best players are a notch below the elite guys and its tough to grind out 7 game series against teams that have the 2 best players on the floor.

I think the Knick optimism is just that with KP you have the unicorn player (potentially) and building around that is always easier than building around 3-4 really good players.

Sounds like a great situation for a superstar FA to go join. They have many more paths from their current position to championship contention than we do.

I kind of agree with you both, but how many big name FA go to Toronto, and the seem to lose their picks once they become FA, Bosh, Mcgrady, Carter......bargiani and calderon did nothing for them.

They were a (dolan nod) away from losing lowry

OK but the big name FAs don't go to the Knicks either.

amare?

Seriously Amare was given a 5 year contract knowing he may not even finish one. That's how you get top notch FAs to come to NY give them contracts that no one else would dare give.

Toronto sucks

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy