[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Woj says Phil met with Blatt
Author Thread
newyorker4ever
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5816

4/27/2016  6:35 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
crzymdups wrote:Let's wait to see if this is just for appearances or if Phil is actually going to do the right thing.

still could be a smoke screen, but i'll wait to pass judgement

Whoa, you're gonna wait to pass judgement?? Is this a new 1248??

AUTOADVERT
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
4/27/2016  8:21 PM
Very interesting article from Herring about Phil recommending Blatt in the past.

By CHRIS HERRING
April 27, 2016 7:40 p.m. ET

On Wednesday, after word leaked that Knicks president Phil Jackson had met with ex-Cleveland Cavaliers coach David Blatt about the Knicks’ head-coaching vacancy earlier this week, a handful of questions emerged as to what it all meant.

For starters: What are we to make of the candidacy of Kurt Rambis, the Knicks’ current interim coach? How big a role will general manager Steve Mills, a college teammate of Blatt’s at Princeton in the 1970s, play in the hiring process? And most important, would Jackson—who has been crystal clear that he wants a coach who runs the triangle offense—really hire someone who doesn’t run his system?

Working backward, there is reason to believe that Jackson would give serious consideration to Blatt for the job, despite the fact that Blatt isn’t a triangle loyalist.

Jackson was said to respect Blatt’s offensive mind even before Blatt returned to the U.S. from Israel to take what would later become the high-profile job of coaching LeBron James in Cleveland. In fact, when Jackson served as a consultant for the Detroit Pistons in 2013, he put Blatt’s name on a short list of candidates the team should consider hiring as an offensive coordinator, according to a league source.

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
4/27/2016  9:08 PM
Another interesting tidbit.

Might mean nothing but then maybe it's a good sign.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
4/28/2016  7:12 AM
Its been reported Blatt as assistant to Rambis. If you loved Rambis now, you'll love him as the GM in the future!!
He has been assistant to Kupchek.

Perhaps the deal is Rambis gets the Triangle thing going then Rambis gets kicked upstairs. continuity and culture building for all.
Its not sexy, but it might be a plan. And Planning is a good thing!!

crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
4/28/2016  8:59 AM
martin wrote:
crzymdups wrote:I love this quote from the Woj article. Woj subtlety giving his stance on Blatt or Rambis.

After reaching the NBA Finals in his first NBA season and starting 2015-16 with a 30-11 record, Blatt was fired as Cleveland Cavaliers coach in January. He was 83-40 in his Cavaliers tenure. Blatt joined the NBA after an illustrious two decades of pronounced success in the Euroleague and with FIBA basketball as the Russian national coach.

Rambis has a career record of 65-164, including a 9-19 mark as the Knicks’ interim coach following the firing of Derek Fisher this season.

I have to tell you, I thought your bolded was just fair reporting.

Unlike Daily News which still pushes out articles that try to fit their own agenda:

David Blatt met with the Knicks on Monday to discuss the head coaching position, although it may have been nothing more than a smokescreen, the Daily News confirmed.

Woj was clearly reporting the facts, but the way he presented the facts doesn't leave very much doubt as to who he considers the better candidate.

Blatt joined the NBA after an illustrious two decades of pronounced success in the Euroleague and with FIBA basketball as the Russian national coach.

This line in particular - "illustrious" and "pronounced" are not exactly facts. He's letting you know who he thinks the better candidate is, particularly in comparison to the bare bones way he talked about Rambis's experience. For instance he could have noted that Rambis was a great assistant for Jackson... but he didn't. Just saying Woj showing some bias of his own, though not as directly as the Daily News. Though I think we all agree it could well be a smokescreen.

Hey, if Phil hires Blatt I will be both surprised and impressed and it will be one of his top three moves IMHO: drafting KP, signing Rolo, signing Blatt. That'd be a good trifecta.

¿ △ ?
crzymdups
USA
4/28/2016  9:13 AM
But the idea that it's a smokescreen is not something the Daily News invented - lots of people talking about how Phil is just doing it to appease Mills or Dolan. I think either could be true. If I had to give it odds, I'd say Rambis is 70%, Blatt is 29%, 1% it's someone else.

A close friend of Mills, Blatt still appears a long shot to front-running interim coach Kurt Rambis, but the prevailing notion it was just a courtesy chat to appease Mills is untrue.

http://nypost.com/2016/04/27/david-blatt-had-knicks-shot-with-phil-jackson-interview/

I really really really hope it's Blatt. I think he's one of the few who is smart enough to use the Triangle, but also update it.

One thing to consider - when Phil hired Rambis in LA, it was to be his DEFENSIVE coach. If Phil wants to make the Triangle effective, maybe he should consider hiring an offensive mastermind like Blatt? I would have no problem keeping Rambis on for defense.

But something about Blatt running the Triangle and maybe updating a bit seems very promising to me.

¿ △ ?
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
4/28/2016  9:25 AM
Nalod wrote:Its been reported Blatt as assistant to Rambis. If you loved Rambis now, you'll love him as the GM in the future!!

Perhaps the deal is Rambis gets the Triangle thing going then Rambis gets kicked upstairs. continuity and culture building for all.

yea... something like this would be great IMO
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
newyorker4ever
Member: #5816

4/28/2016  9:33 AM
crzymdups wrote:But the idea that it's a smokescreen is not something the Daily News invented - lots of people talking about how Phil is just doing it to appease Mills or Dolan. I think either could be true. If I had to give it odds, I'd say Rambis is 70%, Blatt is 29%, 1% it's someone else.

A close friend of Mills, Blatt still appears a long shot to front-running interim coach Kurt Rambis, but the prevailing notion it was just a courtesy chat to appease Mills is untrue.

http://nypost.com/2016/04/27/david-blatt-had-knicks-shot-with-phil-jackson-interview/

I really really really hope it's Blatt. I think he's one of the few who is smart enough to use the Triangle, but also update it.

One thing to consider - when Phil hired Rambis in LA, it was to be his DEFENSIVE coach. If Phil wants to make the Triangle effective, maybe he should consider hiring an offensive mastermind like Blatt? I would have no problem keeping Rambis on for defense.

But something about Blatt running the Triangle and maybe updating a bit seems very promising to me.

Right but those lots of people are all of our fantastic new york media people.

crzymdups
USA
4/28/2016  9:36 AM
fishmike wrote:
Nalod wrote:Its been reported Blatt as assistant to Rambis. If you loved Rambis now, you'll love him as the GM in the future!!

yea... something like this would be great IMO

I could be down with that. My thing is that Rambis is not a good in-game coach.

Blatt, from what I've seen, is a very good in-game coach. For all the non-sense about Lebron coaching the Cavs last season, I thought Blatt made very good in-game decisions.

¿ △ ?
crzymdups
USA
4/28/2016  9:40 AM
newyorker4ever wrote:
crzymdups wrote:But the idea that it's a smokescreen is not something the Daily News invented - lots of people talking about how Phil is just doing it to appease Mills or Dolan. I think either could be true. If I had to give it odds, I'd say Rambis is 70%, Blatt is 29%, 1% it's someone else.

Their job is to sell papers. But the idea that Isola and Berman don't have some sources in MSG is kinda absurd. They're inside that building several times a week and follow the team around and go to practices. Sure, the team puts out info that they want in the press - Berman seems more guilty of this than others. But Isola and Berman definitely have legit sources. Isola was tight with Thibs and got a ton of info from him when Thibs was on staff, hence Dolan's hatred of Thibs and part of the reason for Dolan's media policy.

I don't believe they are making up stuff. I think they are trying to read the tea leaves at times, but I think they are having real conversations.

The main time I ignore their reporting is around free agency and trade deadlines - because then I think they pick up any whisp of a rumor and run with it. But when Berman reports "Knicks are interested in Jeff Teague" and then the Knicks don't GET Jeff Teague... I don't think that means Berman made it up. I think it more likely means Knicks were interested in Teague and couldn't get him.

¿ △ ?
nyk4ever
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #848
USA
4/28/2016  9:44 AM
crzymdups wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:

Their job is to sell papers. But the idea that Isola and Berman don't have some sources in MSG is kinda absurd. They're inside that building several times a week and follow the team around and go to practices. Sure, the team puts out info that they want in the press - Berman seems more guilty of this than others. But Isola and Berman definitely have legit sources. Isola was tight with Thibs and got a ton of info from him when Thibs was on staff, hence Dolan's hatred of Thibs and part of the reason for Dolan's media policy.

I don't believe they are making up stuff. I think they are trying to read the tea leaves at times, but I think they are having real conversations.

The main time I ignore their reporting is around free agency and trade deadlines - because then I think they pick up any whisp of a rumor and run with it. But when Berman reports "Knicks are interested in Jeff Teague" and then the Knicks don't GET Jeff Teague... I don't think that means Berman made it up. I think it more likely means Knicks were interested in Teague and couldn't get him.

my whole thing is where are they getting their "sources"? phil doesn't talk to ANYONE unless its charlie rosen and neither does dolan. after all these years, by now if someone is leaking info you would think that they would get rid of them, no?

"OMG - did we just go on a two-trade-wining-streak?" -SupremeCommander
crzymdups
USA
4/28/2016  9:48 AM
nyk4ever wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:

my whole thing is where are they getting their "sources"? phil doesn't talk to ANYONE unless its charlie rosen and neither does dolan. after all these years, by now if someone is leaking info you would think that they would get rid of them, no?

It's never one source. It's very very difficult to keep things totally underwraps. I work in a media company and we all almost always know what is going down at the highest levels of the company, one way or another. We were moving buildings a few years ago and they were trying to keep the potential locations secret. The secretaries knew all the potential addresses though, because they called the car services for the executives to visit the spots. Ditto when we acquired another company - a lot of lower level employees knew about it almost a year in advance because of small little things like financial info requests. It is hard to keep info under wraps at a big company. And MSG is certainly a big company.

¿ △ ?
crzymdups
USA
4/28/2016  9:51 AM
Cleveland Cavs blogger talked to Posting and Toasting about Blatt:

http://www.postingandtoasting.com/2016/4/28/11526228/a-cavs-blogger-discusses-the-david-blatt-experience-in-cleveland

MM: The Cavs were 30-11 under Blatt this year and closed last year on a monster run (33-3, I think?). Since his firing, their record under Tyronn Lue has been fair, though not spectacular, and they've ended where they were expected to -- the East's #1 seed. Do Cav fans miss anything about Blatt?

DZ: The term I came to use for David Blatt was progressive. Progressive in the sense that he seemed open to lineup data, open to modern NBA offenses, attempted different forms of pick and roll coverage, and was willing to try out smallball lineups with different personnel. Despite having lineups with constant injury concerns, roles were pretty clearly established and rotations made sense. With Lue, there has been fiddling with lineups, and the best lineups haven't always been on the floor consistently. I think that's what Cavs fans miss the most.

MM: Was Blatt ever respected or admired by his roster during his Cleveland run? It seems he was hired and then LeBron came on shortly thereafter, and that if the latter had happened first the former might never have. Did he lose the affection of the players over X's and O's, or management style, or something else entirely? Did the players turn against him en masse, or was it enough to lose LeBron's support?

DZ: I don't really think there were too many people in the locker room that really enjoyed playing for Blatt. A couple guys, like J.R. Smith and Matthew Dellavedova owed him quite a bit, were given opportunities that they took advantage of. Blatt was not imaginative with the role of Kevin Love, and I don't think there was a deep affinity there. Mike Miller was not a huge fan during his time in Cleveland, even after calling Blatt's offense near genius.

I think David Blatt takes himself incredibly seriously, and does not have a ton of humility. He should, and maybe he doesn't need humility, but I think it rubbed a lot of players the wrong way. He bristled against any and all criticism, but later on seemed to be a bit more humble in his second year. He admitted it was harder than he though it'd be. It was probably too late at that point.

MM: What principles did Cleveland follow on offense and defense during Blatt's reign? Did he modify his system to fit the players he inherited, or come in with a fixed idea and try to fit the players into it?

DZ: Kyrie Irving and LeBron James came in and ran the show, with great results. The Cavs offense when the Irving, James, and Kevin Love shared the floor with Tristan Thompson was incredible, and LeBron James dominated second units with Iman Shumpert and Tristan Thompson. It was heavy, heavy pick-and-roll action with shooters surrounding Irving and James as primary ball handlers. Kevin Love was primarily a spot up threat, but the offense had tremendous results.

With the defense, the Cavs started last season hedging hard against pick and rolls. It didn't make sense with Anderson Varejao and then Timofey Mozgov, because they didn't have the quickness to get back to defend the basket. To his credit, Blatt switched it and adjusted to his personnel.

MM: What was Blatt like personality-wise? Did his approach hold steadfast while with the Cavs? Did he seem to struggle or snap under the pressure of coaching LeBron?

DZ: I think he struggled with a lot of the transition to the NBA. He wasn't used to being in a situation in which players had so much power. He wasn't used to a media that didn't immediately respect what he had accomplished in Israel and Russia. There were times the players tried to give him credit for first-time successes as an NBA coach, and he bristled by saying he had lots of accomplishments in the past and that it wasn't worth getting excited about. I think he came in with a chip on his shoulder, and it didn't serve him. By the time he was fired, there weren't too many media members, especially in Cleveland, that were in a position to come to his defense. He simply hadn't built relationships.

MM: You may have already addressed this earlier, but with some time and distance from Blatt, do you think Cavs fans (or even players) see him any differently than they did when he was let go?

DZ: I think Cavs fans appreciated his willingness to go small, and his consistent rotations and mostly impressive and effective lineup combinations. Many don't love the media, so enjoyed seeing the back and forth. I think most Cavs fans think he was a smart and good coach.

MM: What's the biggest strength Blatt showcased while coaching Cleveland? What's a weakness you think he'd do well to improve on before he returns to an NBA bench?

DZ: He'll have to improve his interpersonal skills and how he relates to NBA players. But he has a proven track record of winning, even in the NBA. He'd be a good choice most places, I think.

¿ △ ?
nyk4ever
USA
4/28/2016  9:53 AM
crzymdups wrote:
nyk4ever wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:

It's never one source. It's very very difficult to keep things totally underwraps. I work in a media company and we all almost always know what is going down at the highest levels of the company, one way or another. We were moving buildings a few years ago and they were trying to keep the potential locations secret. The secretaries knew all the potential addresses though, because they called the car services for the executives to visit the spots. Ditto when we acquired another company - a lot of lower level employees knew about it almost a year in advance because of small little things like financial info requests. It is hard to keep info under wraps at a big company. And MSG is certainly a big company.

i suppose you're right. even still, i never trust berman or isola. if woj or berger have something, i consider it legitimate, but that's just me.

crzymdups
USA
4/28/2016  10:21 AM
Maybe Melo should be the coach?

¿ △ ?
nyk4ever
USA
4/28/2016  10:35 AM
crzymdups wrote:Maybe Melo should be the coach?

CoachMelo

Nalod
USA
4/28/2016  10:40 AM
"To appease Dolan"......

The way the media presents it one would assume "the smoke screen" is like Phils little secret manipulation to pull one over Dolan while the Media and us fans are all in on it. But not Dolan!!!
Dolan might be impatient, not thoughtful in running a franchise, and compulsive, but he is not the villiage idiot, in a coma, or in an isolated bubble.

To me the very fans that clamer for Blatt over Rambis are using more starphuch Logic as we really don't have the tangable comps:

Which is what would Blatt have done with Miny with that roster at that time, what would Blatt have done in the remaining 31 games this season Rambis coached, and what would Rambis have done with the Cav's or any other team.
Since we can't do that, nor are we asking Blatt to bring in his system, the logic some of you are using is flawed. Like fear that KP and LOve are the same and would react the same. That is just plain foolish.

I'd say the tangible of Blatt as an ingame mind is better than Rambis, but if the team is better prepared it does not rely on ingame adjustments as much. We are in fuzzy logic.
Yes, Nalod would like Blatt as I like his energy and personality but Im ok to give Rambis a try if Phil thinks so. Im just not into the uncorrelated negatives as some of you.

crzymdups
USA
4/28/2016  11:04 AM
Nalod wrote:"To appease Dolan"......

The way the media presents it one would assume "the smoke screen" is like Phils little secret manipulation to pull one over Dolan while the Media and us fans are all in on it. But not Dolan!!!
Dolan might be impatient, not thoughtful in running a franchise, and compulsive, but he is not the villiage idiot, in a coma, or in an isolated bubble.

To me the very fans that clamer for Blatt over Rambis are using more starphuch Logic as we really don't have the tangable comps:

Which is what would Blatt have done with Miny with that roster at that time, what would Blatt have done in the remaining 31 games this season Rambis coached, and what would Rambis have done with the Cav's or any other team.
Since we can't do that, nor are we asking Blatt to bring in his system, the logic some of you are using is flawed. Like fear that KP and LOve are the same and would react the same. That is just plain foolish.

I'd say the tangible of Blatt as an ingame mind is better than Rambis, but if the team is better prepared it does not rely on ingame adjustments as much. We are in fuzzy logic.
Yes, Nalod would like Blatt as I like his energy and personality but Im ok to give Rambis a try if Phil thinks so. Im just not into the uncorrelated negatives as some of you.

You're saying this as if we didn't see Rambis coach this team for 30 games. We saw what he would do with this team. He said his goal was to make the playoffs, they should be in the playoffs, and then he went 2-8 in his first ten games and we stopped hearing about the playoffs and instead he was calling it "Year 1 of a process, last year was Year Zero". I just wasn't impressed by anything he did with the team. He featured Rolo more, minimized and alienated Afflalo, that seemed to be a mistake as the team fared much worse.

¿ △ ?
mreinman
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3189

4/28/2016  11:08 AM
crzymdups wrote:Maybe Melo should be the coach?

maybe this is the problem. Melo thinks that he can teach it in an hour ... maybe melo has only an hours worth of triangle knowledge himself after all this time.

so here is what phil is thinking ....
Nalod
USA
4/28/2016  11:35 AM    LAST EDITED: 4/28/2016  11:36 AM
crzymdups wrote:
Nalod wrote:"To appease Dolan"......

You're saying this as if we didn't see Rambis coach this team for 30 games. We saw what he would do with this team. He said his goal was to make the playoffs, they should be in the playoffs, and then he went 2-8 in his first ten games and we stopped hearing about the playoffs and instead he was calling it "Year 1 of a process, last year was Year Zero". I just wasn't impressed by anything he did with the team. He featured Rolo more, minimized and alienated Afflalo, that seemed to be a mistake as the team fared much worse.

The team was 1-10 before Fish was fired. I know he said what his goal is, but I don't believe NBA players or coach's when they speak. They tell us what we want. If he said "we are going to play more fundamentally sound basketball in accordance to the principles tht PHil was hired to install in the system and if we don't make the playoffs at least we moved in the right direction". See to me Fish was fired because he defied what phil wanted and while he could tolerate it at .500, when the team lost 10 of a11 and was not moving the team forward then he had to do what he did. Alienated Afflalo? Not really the litmus test for his coaching acumen. Looks like Afflalo might have been more concerned about the business of basketball then the team. I don't know, I don't care about him. NOt every coach gets along with all his guys, and visa versa!!

You see things as "A mistake", I see things as "Realigned mid season". I look for activity and evidence of change and some look for results. To me change the activity and the results will happen. When is another question. If Phil said "make the playoffs and I don't care how, that's your job", that's one thing. if he said "Run the damn triangle and get them to play the way I want it run!! No promises about next year but I'd be happier if you run it like we want them to play!"

Neither of us know. you have your take, I have mine.

I think if Phil was unhappy he would not consider Rambis. That's my evidence. YOu don't agree with Phil? That's fine. Please don't be offended if I think the dude with more rings than fingers is smarter. Im aligned with Phil so I do. Its why I sound smug and arrogant. If phil wants Blatt, im good with that. If Phil wants Isiah, then I'll say some how he convinced PHil he has been rehabilitated.

Woj says Phil met with Blatt

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy