crzymdups
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #671
USA
4/25/2016  5:16 PM
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
fishmike wrote:two very simple things in the NBA equate to successful head coaching. Is he on the same page as the front office and are the players on the same page with him? I don't really like Rambis as a personality, but that is certainly not a prereq for success. Rambis is a buy the book coach, he's totally backed by Phil who seems willing to take a more hands approach to help this group as well. I have no problem with this.

I'm sorry, but it is also about how good of a game coach you are. How much the system you use makes sense for the team you have.

Those are important too. And severely questionable in the case of Rambis.

sure.. but they are the same questions that prompted Phil to fire his buddy Fisher no? So Phil made a mistake with Fisher. You have to figure whatever made him uncomfortable there will be fixed w/ Rambis. Bottom line is its Phil's call and there is no reason he should be mandated to interview or consider anyone he isn't 100% comfortable with. Its his team, run the he wants to be run. Until Phil does things that are hurting our future I am fine with whatever he does. We the fans have called for things to be run right, torn down, be more like SA... but we cant make it 2 years into it with tilting over this or that. I know Phil doesnt know the modern NBA like mreinman does, but you have to let this guy have his chance to work this out.

Rambis performance in Sota doesn't really have relevance here. Very different set of circumstances.

he went to the other extreme. Fisher did a bit of his own thing and tried to modify the triangle while still implemented its principles which phil did not like (as well as him poking every skirt within 50 miles of MSG and LA), so he went with the doto puppet who will just do everything without thinking or questioning holy phil.

don't you think that there is a high probability that Rambis fails as well? Then what?

I honestly think Phil is hoping Walton will be around next summer ('17) after a year of Rambis stinking up the joint... em, I mean implementing the prinicipals of geometry.

Lakers can screw that up this summer with a god offer to Luke though. With DAR, Clarkson, Randle, pick this year, $60M in cap room... Lakers have the brighter future and present and they're the town Luke wants to be in...

¿ △ ?
AUTOADVERT
mreinman
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3189

4/25/2016  5:22 PM
crzymdups wrote:
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
fishmike wrote:two very simple things in the NBA equate to successful head coaching. Is he on the same page as the front office and are the players on the same page with him? I don't really like Rambis as a personality, but that is certainly not a prereq for success. Rambis is a buy the book coach, he's totally backed by Phil who seems willing to take a more hands approach to help this group as well. I have no problem with this.

I'm sorry, but it is also about how good of a game coach you are. How much the system you use makes sense for the team you have.

sure.. but they are the same questions that prompted Phil to fire his buddy Fisher no? So Phil made a mistake with Fisher. You have to figure whatever made him uncomfortable there will be fixed w/ Rambis. Bottom line is its Phil's call and there is no reason he should be mandated to interview or consider anyone he isn't 100% comfortable with. Its his team, run the he wants to be run. Until Phil does things that are hurting our future I am fine with whatever he does. We the fans have called for things to be run right, torn down, be more like SA... but we cant make it 2 years into it with tilting over this or that. I know Phil doesnt know the modern NBA like mreinman does, but you have to let this guy have his chance to work this out.

Rambis performance in Sota doesn't really have relevance here. Very different set of circumstances.

he went to the other extreme. Fisher did a bit of his own thing and tried to modify the triangle while still implemented its principles which phil did not like (as well as him poking every skirt within 50 miles of MSG and LA), so he went with the doto puppet who will just do everything without thinking or questioning holy phil.

don't you think that there is a high probability that Rambis fails as well? Then what?

I honestly think Phil is hoping Walton will be around next summer ('17) after a year of Rambis stinking up the joint... em, I mean implementing the prinicipals of geometry.

Lakers can screw that up this summer with a god offer to Luke though. With DAR, Clarkson, Randle, pick this year, $60M in cap room... Lakers have the brighter future and present and they're the town Luke wants to be in...

I would say that there is an 80+% chance that Luke coaches the lakers next season.

so here is what phil is thinking ....
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
4/25/2016  9:16 PM
crzymdups wrote:
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
crzymdups wrote:

If Phil really believes he has a shot at Luke it doesn't hurt him to be patient. This team will continue to progress even with Rambis. Continuity, internal growth and some solid additions should help this team grow next season.

Despite all the complaining it's not the end of the world if Rambis is the coach. I'd prefer Blatt but that's up to Phil. How can anyone quantify how much of a difference either coach would make?

crzymdups
USA
4/25/2016  9:55 PM
nixluva wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
crzymdups wrote:

If Phil really believes he has a shot at Luke it doesn't hurt him to be patient. This team will continue to progress even with Rambis. Continuity, internal growth and some solid additions should help this team grow next season.

Despite all the complaining it's not the end of the world if Rambis is the coach. I'd prefer Blatt but that's up to Phil. How can anyone quantify how much of a difference either coach would make?

Because I watched the team and saw them regress under Rambis. It is terrifying if Phil thought they made any development or positive progress with Rambis.

¿ △ ?
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
4/25/2016  10:10 PM
crzymdups wrote:
nixluva wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
crzymdups wrote:

Because I watched the team and saw them regress under Rambis. It is terrifying if Phil thought they made any development or positive progress with Rambis.

In what way did they regress?

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
crzymdups
USA
4/25/2016  10:24 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/25/2016  10:37 PM
martin wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
nixluva wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
crzymdups wrote:

winning percentage, defense, and offense? their record went from something like 8-13 when games were within 5 points with 5minutes to go in games to 1-10 with Rambis in those games.

Their winning percentage on Feb 1 was .460. They finished .390 overall, .321 under Rambis

They were 16th in the league in offensive efficiency on Feb 1st

They were 25th in the league in offensive efficiency on the last day of the season (but Phil said the Triangle made progress under Rambis... somehow!)

On Feb 1st, their scoring differential was -1.7. They finished the season -2.7

Their opponent shooting percentage was 44.1% on February 1st, it was 44.3% at the end of the season. So even that went up.

I mean, I am astounded that anyone thinks Rambis had the team playing better? They played like crap under him. He is a terrible coach.

all stats grabbed from this site - https://www.teamrankings.com/nba/stat/offensive-efficiency

¿ △ ?
nixluva
USA
4/25/2016  10:48 PM
crzymdups wrote:
martin wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
nixluva wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
crzymdups wrote:

winning percentage, defense, and offense? their record went from something like 8-13 when games were within 5 points with 5minutes to go in games to 1-10 with Rambis in those games.

Their winning percentage on Feb 1 was .460. They finished .390 overall, .321 under Rambis

They were 25th in the league in offensive efficiency on the last day of the season (but Phil said the Triangle made progress under Rambis... somehow!)

Their opponent shooting percentage was 44.1% on February 1st, it was 44.3% at the end of the season. So even that went up.

I mean, I am astounded that anyone thinks Rambis had the team playing better? They played like crap under him. He is a terrible coach.

all stats grabbed from this site - https://www.teamrankings.com/nba/stat/offensive-efficiency

I think you're putting too much weight on the numbers at that time which include taking over a team that was already broken. Also coincided with guys slumping and KP hitting the wall. There was a lot going on. None of which is an excuse but just an explanation of what was going on.

There was better execution developing and I think it's highly possible that with a full camp and some modest upgrades that Rambis could be more successful next year. It's Phil's call. He may yet hire a Blatt or Walton. Until the decision is made I'm not worrying about it. If Phil had his mind made up then he could just name Rambis already.

crzymdups
USA
4/25/2016  11:00 PM
nixluva wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
martin wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
nixluva wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
crzymdups wrote:

I think you're putting too much weight on the numbers at that time which include taking over a team that was already broken. Also coincided with guys slumping and KP hitting the wall. There was a lot going on. None of which is an excuse but just an explanation of what was going on.

There was better execution developing and I think it's highly possible that with a full camp and some modest upgrades that Rambis could be more successful next year. It's Phil's call. He may yet hire a Blatt or Walton. Until the decision is made I'm not worrying about it. If Phil had his mind made up then he could just name Rambis already.

Unless he knew he'd be absolutely roasted for hiring Rambis and maybe Dolan and Melo are protesting.

It's funny that the numbers can't be used unless they support your opinion. I seem to remember seeing a chart a lot about how great the 2008 Lakers Offensive Efficiency was.

Rambis came in and said it was goal to make the playoffs. He went 9-19, Afflalo fell off a cliff, no player played better until Jerian Grant finally got minutes at the very end of the season - consistent minutes he didn't get from Rambis early on, until the players specifically begged him to play the young guys.

¿ △ ?
nixluva
USA
4/26/2016  12:05 AM
crzymdups wrote:
nixluva wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
martin wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
nixluva wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
crzymdups wrote:

s

Unless he knew he'd be absolutely roasted for hiring Rambis and maybe Dolan and Melo are protesting.

It's funny that the numbers can't be used unless they support your opinion. I seem to remember seeing a chart a lot about how great the 2008 Lakers Offensive Efficiency was.

Rambis came in and said it was goal to make the playoffs. He went 9-19, Afflalo fell off a cliff, no player played better until Jerian Grant finally got minutes at the very end of the season - consistent minutes he didn't get from Rambis early on, until the players specifically begged him to play the young guys.

My numbers were based on complete seasons. This is a hack job on a guy taking over a team in free fall for the final 28 games. What you say may be true in terms of Rambis being the source of the problem but then again it may not be him. I'm just saying your stats may not be proof that Rambis can't coach this team. Correlation doesn't necessarily equal causation.

crzymdups
USA
4/26/2016  12:18 AM
nixluva wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
nixluva wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
martin wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
nixluva wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
crzymdups wrote:

s

My numbers were based on complete seasons. This is a hack job on a guy taking over a team in free fall for the final 28 games. What you say may be true in terms of Rambis being the source of the problem but then again it may not be him. I'm just saying your stats may not be proof that Rambis can't coach this team. Correlation doesn't necessarily equal causation.

Again, stats don't count when they don't back up your rosy colored view of the Triangle.

¿ △ ?
martin
USA
4/26/2016  12:21 AM
crzymdups wrote:
nixluva wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
martin wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
nixluva wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
crzymdups wrote:

It's funny that the numbers can't be used unless they support your opinion.
I seem to remember seeing a chart a lot about how great the 2008 Lakers Offensive Efficiency was.

I don't think anyone is suggesting you can't use number, but those number must also be put into context. Doesn't mean your supposition is right or wrong, but perhaps they could be better explained.

Fish was let go 2/9. Lance Thomas first was injured 2/5 (concussion) and then the knee 3/8 and missed the rest of season (I have a feeling the play of Lance actually correlates to the losing of the Knicks very tightly). KP hit the rookie wall in early Feb and that lasted into March. Jose didn't play for the last 7 games of season, same with KP (that's 2 of 5 starting lineup).

I thought that the play of Rolo and DWill finished the year strong. Jerian was nice at the end but that felt like it was forced. Melo had a very nice March finally getting his legs back after the Boston tripping thing.

GoNyGoNyGo
Member: #411
USA
4/26/2016  9:46 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:100% fine with it. The one thing I hope Rambis improves on is some flexibility in judgement regarding pt for younger players

why would he ever do that when his entire goal is to make the playoffs

You say that like having the entire goal to make the playoffs a bad thing. If and it's still an if at this point but if Rambis gets the job this probably makes Melo lean a little more towards waiving his NTC because first of all he didn't get any say in the coaching hire like he wanted and if Rambis was someone that he definitely didn't want to get the job then i'm sure he's gonna be very unhappy with that. I truly think Phil wants nothing more than for Melo to waive his NTC and wouldn't doubt if he does some things in a way that he knows Melo wouldn't want them to be done just to push him towards waiving it. Phil knows that the future of this team would be better without Melo and with the young players and draft picks he can get for Melo. Phil has said that he's alright leaving this team without winning anything significant as long as he leaves the team in a good place so as a good team that can win for years to come. I can't remember exactly how he put it but i think you guys know what i'm talking about.

This is not about melo, it's about doing your do diligence as a president of a franchise.

Rambis is not attracting any FA, understand that, did you see any big name FA's lined up outside phils door last off season. Rambis has already proven he doesn't know how to develop young talent, he proven he doesn't know how to rotate his guys, and he surely doesn't know to adjust,The only thing that he has proven is he can teach the triangle better than most.

Melo will ask to go to a contender that will net you the 28th to 30th pick, he's also not going to watch a team gut it's roster to make a trade wrk. You think he is going to ask to be traded to a lottery team, or mediocre for the matter. Trust me, there is no winning in trading melo, just degrees of loses, There is little to no value in trading melo, that came and pass when he was with denver.

You guys act like he's contract his 5 more yrs, when it's 2, let it rideout and have 30 million off the books in 2 yrs

Did portland Trade LA, knowing he wasn't committed, They lost, Lopez, AA, LA, and Batum and still made the playoffs, and have cap space.

what a great job by that coach and gm

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
4/26/2016  9:57 AM
Portland boost was letting Batum go (he is injured again) and promoting Mcallum who has responded great. They have a terrific back court!!
This is how your rebuild in the draft. Key trade for SAS was to draft Hill, develop him, he actually started over Parker, then trade for a no. 1 pick, which was the 8th pick, draft Kwai, and then develop him.

SAS does not always turn things into gold but the key is to develop players that can either be retained or become trade assets. Manu was taken 57th in the second round and did not come here for 2-3 years after.
Lets hope Hernangomez becomes a nice story!!!

knicks1248
Member: #582
4/26/2016  10:01 AM
martin wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
nixluva wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
crzymdups wrote:

http://www.ultimateknicks.com/forum/topic.asp?t=54205

Are you asking this question with a smile?

ES
knicks1248
4/26/2016  10:07 AM
nixluva wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
martin wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
nixluva wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
crzymdups wrote:

Rambis wasn't brought in after once Fisher was fired, he was there from day 1. The numbers in most cases do tell the entire story. The difference is, fisher ran the triangle sometimes, and Ramy ran all the time, so because you seen more of it under rambis, you think the execution was better. That a joke, they play much slower, more predictable, and beat 1 team over 500 out of 14 teams they face.

Rambis couldn't gather the troops, like JVG did when he took over. Rambis sucks ,act like you know?

ES
knicks1248
4/27/2016  1:09 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
Peter Vecsey ✔ ‎@PeterVecsey1
David Blatt isn't being considered 4 Knicks opening. Never was, I'm told. Strictly a smokescreen, as is search by Jax. Rambis lone candidate

How narrow minded is phil, I can't believe he would duped the fans and team, into making us believe he is out there searching for the best guy for the job. How do you run a triangle seminar without your new coach??

If this is true, this is another sad drama filled management smoke screen. It is so unprofessional, like everything that goes on with this franchise.

This is no different than JR taking a slight discount to make sure is crackhead playing brother is on the roster, or Dolan keeping Isiah around to run this franchise into Cap Hell.

God help me, I'm starting wish bad things on phil....smdh.

I get it though, Phil really wants to coach the team through rambis, or any puppet for the matter, the problem with that, he's not on the road, he's not on the sidelines during games when the game plan needs adjusting on the fly, he doesnt have that guy or guys, that can completely take over without one play being called.

In other words he doesn't have that players that wants to win at all cost, or even know how to win when the game is there for the absolute taking. What we have is a bunch of players that don't really get it, a coach that's scratching his head when the game is on the line..

So its being reported blatt met with Phil....peter vecsey has lost every ounce of trust I once had for him

ES
martin
USA
4/27/2016  1:23 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
David Blatt isn't being considered 4 Knicks opening. Never was, I'm told. Strictly a smokescreen, as is search by Jax. Rambis lone candidate

How narrow minded is phil, I can't believe he would duped the fans and team, into making us believe he is out there searching for the best guy for the job. How do you run a triangle seminar without your new coach??

If this is true, this is another sad drama filled management smoke screen. It is so unprofessional, like everything that goes on with this franchise.

This is no different than JR taking a slight discount to make sure is crackhead playing brother is on the roster, or Dolan keeping Isiah around to run this franchise into Cap Hell.

I get it though, Phil really wants to coach the team through rambis, or any puppet for the matter, the problem with that, he's not on the road, he's not on the sidelines during games when the game plan needs adjusting on the fly, he doesnt have that guy or guys, that can completely take over without one play being called.

In other words he doesn't have that players that wants to win at all cost, or even know how to win when the game is there for the absolute taking. What we have is a bunch of players that don't really get it, a coach that's scratching his head when the game is on the line..

So its being reported blatt met with Phil....peter vecsey has lost every ounce of trust I once had for him

Seriously, that's your bad for every giving it to him, it's not the 90s any more. That's the last time he was relevant.

mreinman

4/27/2016  2:09 PM
martin wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

Seriously, that's your bad for every giving it to him, it's not the 90s any more. That's the last time he was relevant.

he took a break ... how do we know that he is not back in with some good sources? Just asking ... has he been proven wrong a lot recently?

martin
USA
4/27/2016  3:28 PM
mreinman wrote:
martin wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

he took a break ... how do we know that he is not back in with some good sources? Just asking ... has he been proven wrong a lot recently?

I guess took a break is one way you could put it. I think his viewership decayed and he got bitter and his ego was inflated and he crossed from being the pioneer NBA "blogger" (before blogging was a thing) and influential reporter to retired or irrelevant. No doubt he still has some sources. I think the question should be, has he offered anything relevant recently?

mreinman

4/27/2016  11:43 PM
martin wrote:
mreinman wrote:
martin wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

I guess took a break is one way you could put it. I think his viewership decayed and he got bitter and his ego was inflated and he crossed from being the pioneer NBA "blogger" (before blogging was a thing) and influential reporter to retired or irrelevant. No doubt he still has some sources. I think the question should be, has he offered anything relevant recently?

not sure but don't think he would just come out of the woodwork and make sh1t up. I thought he was retired.

I loved his column and loved his balsy interviews. Dude was fearless and entertaining. He came across a bit too mean and vicious at times but that was part of the entertainment. I hope he comes back strong.

Rambis lone candidate

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy