[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Rambis lone candidate
Author Thread
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
4/25/2016  8:13 AM
two very simple things in the NBA equate to successful head coaching. Is he on the same page as the front office and are the players on the same page with him? I don't really like Rambis as a personality, but that is certainly not a prereq for success. Rambis is a buy the book coach, he's totally backed by Phil who seems willing to take a more hands approach to help this group as well. I have no problem with this.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
AUTOADVERT
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
4/25/2016  8:14 AM
Lakers shyt canned Byron Scott (why even bother in the first place) so there is competition of the Lakers want Walton.
The kid is a SoCal born and breed so I would expect him to stay close to home.

Good franchises hire from within. Im ok with Rambis. When I say "Im OK", I'm not thrilled but really, should I be? As I have said before lots of big name guys have come in and failed. OP wants that taste of success to come with the new coach.

Obviously our OP has little faith in Phil. If the Judge and Jury is based on winning % then its fair to be critical. But whats done is done and the future has not weight on the past when the players decide 85% of what happens on the floor.

Another key point is Melo and Phil might have decided their path weeks ago. Melo is not a franchise carrying type talent. I appreciate his effort and commitment to the program. IM fine if he stays, I'm fine if we trade him. Im fine with a trade melo, run a pure triangle and pay no mind to the win/loss but install the discipline at all costs. We draft again, and make cap space again.

Im fine with the above. Its a path to acquire and develop talent.
The road less traveled is often one fulfilled.

Cartman718
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1694

4/25/2016  9:04 AM

Caption This: This fool loves giving his money away! It's an easy job...someone's gotta do it

Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
4/25/2016  9:07 AM
fishmike wrote:two very simple things in the NBA equate to successful head coaching. Is he on the same page as the front office and are the players on the same page with him? I don't really like Rambis as a personality, but that is certainly not a prereq for success. Rambis is a buy the book coach, he's totally backed by Phil who seems willing to take a more hands approach to help this group as well. I have no problem with this.

I'm sorry, but it is also about how good of a game coach you are. How much the system you use makes sense for the team you have.

Those are important too. And severely questionable in the case of Rambis.

¿ △ ?
HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

4/25/2016  9:28 AM    LAST EDITED: 4/25/2016  9:31 AM
crzymdups wrote:
fishmike wrote:two very simple things in the NBA equate to successful head coaching. Is he on the same page as the front office and are the players on the same page with him? I don't really like Rambis as a personality, but that is certainly not a prereq for success. Rambis is a buy the book coach, he's totally backed by Phil who seems willing to take a more hands approach to help this group as well. I have no problem with this.

I'm sorry, but it is also about how good of a game coach you are. How much the system you use makes sense for the team you have.

Always felt Phil's Ego will keep him from adjusting to today's NBA. Also, like it or not, true or not true, the Triangle gives off the impression as a dated system. Which in free agency, can make a difference in someone's decision to come here.

With that said, it makes no sense to expect anything less than Phil doing things his way with his system and a guy close to him. Once Dolan gave him 5 years, including option, he handed him the keys to his 5 year plan. If he is going to fail makes sense to fail with his system and his guy. Agree or disagree with plan, it has to run its course to be judged. One can't expect Phil to change his basketball philosophy after just 2 years. Think that's why they hired him in the first place. Won't bend to media and fan pressure. Will it work out? Who knows. But sticking to the plan is logical. As anything less would be media/fan knee jerk reaction. And we have had lots of that in last 15 years. Including my desire for Phil to get fired and TT to take over.

Just hope Phil can somehow get us some free agents and buy a pick.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
foosballnick
Member: #3148

4/25/2016  9:51 AM
No idea who the next Knicks coach will be...suspect that Rambis will have the inside track. That being said, when was the last time Vecsey was relevant as someone with any inside information or as a writer for that matter? 20 years ago?
newyorker4ever
Member: #5816

4/25/2016  9:59 AM
Nalod wrote:Lakers shyt canned Byron Scott (why even bother in the first place) so there is competition of the Lakers want Walton.

Good franchises hire from within. Im ok with Rambis. When I say "Im OK", I'm not thrilled but really, should I be? As I have said before lots of big name guys have come in and failed. OP wants that taste of success to come with the new coach.

Obviously our OP has little faith in Phil. If the Judge and Jury is based on winning % then its fair to be critical. But whats done is done and the future has not weight on the past when the players decide 85% of what happens on the floor.

Another key point is Melo and Phil might have decided their path weeks ago. Melo is not a franchise carrying type talent. I appreciate his effort and commitment to the program. IM fine if he stays, I'm fine if we trade him. Im fine with a trade melo, run a pure triangle and pay no mind to the win/loss but install the discipline at all costs. We draft again, and make cap space again.

C.Broussard said many people around the league think the Lakers already have Luke committed to coaching the Lakers next season.

newyorker4ever

4/25/2016  10:09 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:100% fine with it. The one thing I hope Rambis improves on is some flexibility in judgement regarding pt for younger players

why would he ever do that when his entire goal is to make the playoffs

You say that like having the entire goal to make the playoffs a bad thing. If and it's still an if at this point but if Rambis gets the job this probably makes Melo lean a little more towards waiving his NTC because first of all he didn't get any say in the coaching hire like he wanted and if Rambis was someone that he definitely didn't want to get the job then i'm sure he's gonna be very unhappy with that. I truly think Phil wants nothing more than for Melo to waive his NTC and wouldn't doubt if he does some things in a way that he knows Melo wouldn't want them to be done just to push him towards waiving it. Phil knows that the future of this team would be better without Melo and with the young players and draft picks he can get for Melo. Phil has said that he's alright leaving this team without winning anything significant as long as he leaves the team in a good place so as a good team that can win for years to come. I can't remember exactly how he put it but i think you guys know what i'm talking about.

This is not about melo, it's about doing your do diligence as a president of a franchise.

Rambis is not attracting any FA, understand that, did you see any big name FA's lined up outside phils door last off season. Rambis has already proven he doesn't know how to develop young talent, he proven he doesn't know how to rotate his guys, and he surely doesn't know to adjust,The only thing that he has proven is he can teach the triangle better than most.

Melo will ask to go to a contender that will net you the 28th to 30th pick, he's also not going to watch a team gut it's roster to make a trade wrk. You think he is going to ask to be traded to a lottery team, or mediocre for the matter. Trust me, there is no winning in trading melo, just degrees of loses, There is little to no value in trading melo, that came and pass when he was with denver.

You guys act like he's contract his 5 more yrs, when it's 2, let it rideout and have 30 million off the books in 2 yrs

Did portland Trade LA, knowing he wasn't committed, They lost, Lopez, AA, LA, and Batum and still made the playoffs, and have cap space.

Can you please not act like you know anything about what we'd get for Melo in a trade and act like you know even close to what Rambis knows about coaching because it's absolutely laughable for you to think you do. Melo would absolutely bring a good return or we just simply won't trade him and there is this little thing that happens in the NBA called a 3 way trade. It's so funny to me when people say Rambis was bad with the rotations he'd put in games but they don't understand that when you have a bench full of below average players that you have to choose from to put in games then it's always gonna be real hard to put in players that can come in and change the game. You have to actually have good players on your bench to choose your rotations with to be able to keep the game going in your favor or to even keep you in a game which is the biggest reason why Melo was playing so many minutes that everyone was complaining about.
knicks1248
Member: #582
4/25/2016  10:26 AM

This is no different by putting a player in a role he has no business being in. Rambis is not a head coach by any stretch of the imagination and phil is not on the bench. Regardless to any input phil has at practice,meetings, phone calls at night, it will have very little bearing during the game, 4th quarter 5 point game, 3 mins left.

If melo and Rolo didn't beg Rambis to play the young guys when the playoffs where a fantasy, how is that encouraging to anyone.

Dude... not one single player on the roster vouch for this guy in their exiting meetings, not the vets, and definitely not the young guys. So i dont get how anyone can be ok with a coach that none of the current players care for, just becuase he has a great relationship with the president.

If he can't develop young talent, he cant attract anyone with a name and some game, and he'he's a awful in game coach, then WTF..what is he good at?

Blatt went on record to say he is all good with the triangle principles, phil went on record saying thats what he wants in his coach, so whats the problem.

That has me thinking that Mills is basically a half bit consultant for phil. Mills is not even really part of phils circle, that's dolan's guy. Have you seen Mills say anything to the media without phil by his side.

ES
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
4/25/2016  10:29 AM
newyorker4ever wrote:
Nalod wrote:Lakers shyt canned Byron Scott (why even bother in the first place) so there is competition of the Lakers want Walton.

C.Broussard said many people around the league think the Lakers already have Luke committed to coaching the Lakers next season.

Its a logical fit. Lakers have some nice pieces going forward and if commited to rebuild Luke has to consider this to be his dream job. SoCal is his home. I would not see this as a failure on Phils part just as I did not see Kerr going to GSW. There is . My hope would be that he hires some good assistants who we can groom as successor to Rambis should he be found wanting in some areas or desire is lost.

Most fans follow the Media guidance and thus when Phil does not pander he is seen as "Rigid and Smug".

anrst
Member: #1054
USA
4/25/2016  10:36 AM
Rambis wants KP to be a back to the basket center. He's an idiot, and so is Phil.
knicks1248
Member: #582
4/25/2016  10:44 AM    LAST EDITED: 4/25/2016  10:45 AM
newyorker4ever wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:100% fine with it. The one thing I hope Rambis improves on is some flexibility in judgement regarding pt for younger players

You say that like having the entire goal to make the playoffs a bad thing. If and it's still an if at this point but if Rambis gets the job this probably makes Melo lean a little more towards waiving his NTC because first of all he didn't get any say in the coaching hire like he wanted and if Rambis was someone that he definitely didn't want to get the job then i'm sure he's gonna be very unhappy with that. I truly think Phil wants nothing more than for Melo to waive his NTC and wouldn't doubt if he does some things in a way that he knows Melo wouldn't want them to be done just to push him towards waiving it. Phil knows that the future of this team would be better without Melo and with the young players and draft picks he can get for Melo. Phil has said that he's alright leaving this team without winning anything significant as long as he leaves the team in a good place so as a good team that can win for years to come. I can't remember exactly how he put it but i think you guys know what i'm talking about.

This is not about melo, it's about doing your do diligence as a president of a franchise.

Rambis is not attracting any FA, understand that, did you see any big name FA's lined up outside phils door last off season. Rambis has already proven he doesn't know how to develop young talent, he proven he doesn't know how to rotate his guys, and he surely doesn't know to adjust,The only thing that he has proven is he can teach the triangle better than most.

Melo will ask to go to a contender that will net you the 28th to 30th pick, he's also not going to watch a team gut it's roster to make a trade wrk. You think he is going to ask to be traded to a lottery team, or mediocre for the matter. Trust me, there is no winning in trading melo, just degrees of loses, There is little to no value in trading melo, that came and pass when he was with denver.

You guys act like he's contract his 5 more yrs, when it's 2, let it rideout and have 30 million off the books in 2 yrs

Did portland Trade LA, knowing he wasn't committed, They lost, Lopez, AA, LA, and Batum and still made the playoffs, and have cap space.

Can you please not act like you know anything about what we'd get for Melo in a trade and act like you know even close to what Rambis knows about coaching because it's absolutely laughable for you to think you do. Melo would absolutely bring a good return or we just simply won't trade him and there is this little thing that happens in the NBA called a 3 way trade. It's so funny to me when people say Rambis was bad with the rotations he'd put in games but they don't understand that when you have a bench full of below average players that you have to choose from to put in games then it's always gonna be real hard to put in players that can come in and change the game. You have to actually have good players on your bench to choose your rotations with to be able to keep the game going in your favor or to even keep you in a game which is the biggest reason why Melo was playing so many minutes that everyone was complaining about.

Dude as a franchise we have never made a trade and got the better part of the deal, phil hasn't made one single trade that he got the better part (the verdict is still out on grant/THJ). Phil couldn't pull off one single trade at the deadline, partly because he didn't want to take on no additional salary. He probably thought about the calderon trade and the extra 2 yrs he gained in that trade.

Regardless to a 3 way trade, what does a(MELOS PREFERRED TEAM) contender have to offer, They would have to give up some solid pieces to match a "declining" melo's salary(which would weaken their roster) the 3rd team (the lottery team) would cough up high picks and young talent for some decent role players(from the contender). So unless phil is willing take on more salary,which he's not, it's rally a pipe dream.

ES
yellowboy90
Member: #3538

4/25/2016  11:27 AM
Rambis was such a good candidate that Phil hired someone with zero coaching experience and less knowledge about the triangle over him. IF Phil picks him as his proxy get ready for a long year.
mreinman
Member: #3189

4/25/2016  11:31 AM
yellowboy90 wrote:Rambis was such a good candidate that Phil hired someone with zero coaching experience and less knowledge about the triangle over him. IF Phil picks him as his proxy get ready for a long year.

I love angry yellowboy

so here is what phil is thinking ....
blkexec
Member: #748
4/25/2016  12:19 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/25/2016  12:21 PM

I am not fine with it, or with Phil. The one thing Rambis can improve on, is to sit back down on the bench and hire Fisher back. At least Fisher was able to find a nice balance between the players and adjustments to the triangle. I think Fishers only problem was off the court issues....as far as his coaching skills, he was a work in progress.....slowly improving. As a coach with today's generation, he seemed to be far ahead of old school Rambis. We need a coach willing to push back on Phil, and connect with the younger generation......instead of a "yes man"....

Some hybrid form of the triangle seems to work best with this team. Fisher obviously found that balance at some point during the season, which is why we were a .500 team.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
newyorker4ever

4/25/2016  12:52 PM
knicks1248 wrote:

This is no different by putting a player in a role he has no business being in. Rambis is not a head coach by any stretch of the imagination and phil is not on the bench. Regardless to any input phil has at practice,meetings, phone calls at night, it will have very little bearing during the game, 4th quarter 5 point game, 3 mins left.

If melo and Rolo didn't beg Rambis to play the young guys when the playoffs where a fantasy, how is that encouraging to anyone.

Dude... not one single player on the roster vouch for this guy in their exiting meetings, not the vets, and definitely not the young guys. So i dont get how anyone can be ok with a coach that none of the current players care for, just becuase he has a great relationship with the president.

If he can't develop young talent, he cant attract anyone with a name and some game, and he'he's a awful in game coach, then WTF..what is he good at?

Blatt went on record to say he is all good with the triangle principles, phil went on record saying thats what he wants in his coach, so whats the problem.

That has me thinking that Mills is basically a half bit consultant for phil. Mills is not even really part of phils circle, that's dolan's guy. Have you seen Mills say anything to the media without phil by his side.

Holy crap you say some dumb shyt. Melo and Rolo BEGGED Rambis to play the young guys?? Hahahaha where do you come up with begged when they simply just asked??

Dude.....did any of the players not vouch for Rambis?? No they just didn't say anything at all and weren't even asked about him, unless you can show me video which you can't cause there isn't any.

Mills is absolutely a half bit consultant (whatever that is) and who ever said he wasn't?? This is Phil's team and Phil was brought in to do this his way and that's that.

newyorker4ever

4/25/2016  1:05 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

Dude as a franchise we have never made a trade and got the better part of the deal, phil hasn't made one single trade that he got the better part (the verdict is still out on grant/THJ). Phil couldn't pull off one single trade at the deadline, partly because he didn't want to take on no additional salary. He probably thought about the calderon trade and the extra 2 yrs he gained in that trade.

Regardless to a 3 way trade, what does a(MELOS PREFERRED TEAM) contender have to offer, They would have to give up some solid pieces to match a "declining" melo's salary(which would weaken their roster) the 3rd team (the lottery team) would cough up high picks and young talent for some decent role players(from the contender). So unless phil is willing take on more salary,which he's not, it's rally a pipe dream.

The only trades Phil has made were to get rid of bad people and bad contracts which were absolutely needed so i don't see him as really losing in the couple of trades he's made. Of course you're gonna go to the Calderon trade which at that time it was being talked about that there was no way we'd be able to trade T.Chandler with the horrible contract he was on but he did it and also got them to take on Felton who every single person on this board wanted gone and his contract would of still had him on the books for this year. The other trade was getting rid of JR Smith who was also being talked about by everyone on these boards and every New York media person that was another contract that we would never be able to trade but he did and gave up Shump to do it but Shump was leaving in free agency after that year anyway so we got back L.Thomas who has been great and we also got a couple of future 2nd round picks that will come in handy in a couple of years.

All the stuff you say is just you reaching for stuff cause you have such a hatred towards Phil, Melo the New York Knicks or all of the above but you speak in facts a lot with no way to prove any facts. You should really just let everything play out and give Phil a chance to get this team rebuilt the way he wants it built but you're giving up after just giving him one season to start his rebuild. No matter how much complaining you do you have no choice but to let it play out so why don't you give it a try??

fishmike
Member: #298
USA
4/25/2016  2:50 PM
crzymdups wrote:

sure.. but they are the same questions that prompted Phil to fire his buddy Fisher no? So Phil made a mistake with Fisher. You have to figure whatever made him uncomfortable there will be fixed w/ Rambis. Bottom line is its Phil's call and there is no reason he should be mandated to interview or consider anyone he isn't 100% comfortable with. Its his team, run the he wants to be run. Until Phil does things that are hurting our future I am fine with whatever he does. We the fans have called for things to be run right, torn down, be more like SA... but we cant make it 2 years into it with tilting over this or that. I know Phil doesnt know the modern NBA like mreinman does, but you have to let this guy have his chance to work this out.

Rambis performance in Sota doesn't really have relevance here. Very different set of circumstances.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
4/25/2016  4:40 PM
fishmike wrote:
crzymdups wrote:

sure.. but they are the same questions that prompted Phil to fire his buddy Fisher no? So Phil made a mistake with Fisher. You have to figure whatever made him uncomfortable there will be fixed w/ Rambis. Bottom line is its Phil's call and there is no reason he should be mandated to interview or consider anyone he isn't 100% comfortable with. Its his team, run the he wants to be run. Until Phil does things that are hurting our future I am fine with whatever he does. We the fans have called for things to be run right, torn down, be more like SA... but we cant make it 2 years into it with tilting over this or that. I know Phil doesnt know the modern NBA like mreinman does, but you have to let this guy have his chance to work this out.

Rambis performance in Sota doesn't really have relevance here. Very different set of circumstances.

I agree with most of that.

My big issue with the Fisher firing, Rambis hiring is that Fisher is clearly the better coach. Rambis just sticks to the Triangle more.

¿ △ ?
mreinman
Member: #3189

4/25/2016  4:46 PM
fishmike wrote:
crzymdups wrote:

he went to the other extreme. Fisher did a bit of his own thing and tried to modify the triangle while still implemented its principles which phil did not like (as well as him poking every skirt within 50 miles of MSG and LA), so he went with the doto puppet who will just do everything without thinking or questioning holy phil.

don't you think that there is a high probability that Rambis fails as well? Then what?

so here is what phil is thinking ....
Rambis lone candidate

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy