nyk4ever
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #848
USA
4/18/2016  11:37 AM
BRIGGS wrote:
Nalod wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
Paris907 wrote:Batum played well in a losing cause. I like Bazemore and he has grit. I suspect Phil won't want him

Im just trying to use common sense. Curry is 25 Bazemore 26 both are really good players. If we have to pay a little more for their services-who cares--whats the goal? To put good players on the floor who know how to play basketball. I think Gasol can be talked into coming here.

If we added Gasol Curry Bazemore and Valentine--look how much better we would be right away. We dont need to spend 20mm on a PG. Both San Antonio and GSW have good athletes not GREAT athletes. Id like to have a couple of top tier athletes for defense but Im perfectly happy with good smart players who work hard and fill in the blanks after. Build a smart skilled team first with high character and work ethic

Got to be careful here, this is the kind of thinking that got Layden in trouble. Overpaid role players who got starters salary.
Not saying there is 100% correlation here. The key is to get guys to play above their current levels by them putting in the work, and install a system that they can thrive in.

I can say Rolo has, KOQ has not and Derrik Williams went sideways.

Cap is going up to 115 in 2 years. Now I dont want to pay guys 20-26 mm unless their name is Durant. But contracts that run from 8-13mm--its simply the same as paying someone 4-7 mm on the last cap. Contracts that eat up 20% of you cap for say a Mike Conley--that is RISKY. Contracts that eat up 12mm or less will be fluid contracts manageable. Over paying a 300 pound Jerome James overpaying a one knee player in Amare overpaying an Eddy Curry thats trouble. Remember we paid Shanden Andersen in 2001 6 years 42mm--this is 15 years later with double the cap.

the cap isn't doubling so why are you doubling player salaries?

"OMG - did we just go on a two-trade-wining-streak?" -SupremeCommander
AUTOADVERT
dk7th
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #4228
USA
4/18/2016  11:39 AM
WaltLongmire wrote:Nice player who plays with some fire and is a tough defender, but he has never even averaged over 12PPG in a full season, and his 3pt shooting is average...nothing special.

When I look at his stats, I don't see much which indicates he is a game changer.

And for all the guys who like to shove WS48 in everybody's faces...please tell me how Bazemore has excelled in that statistic.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/bazemke01.html

OK player...nothing special.

If you guys have the stats to show that I'm totally wrong- please let me know.

the advanced stats say that his TS% is a so=so 55%, his ball-sharing is not good for a swingman. his free throw attempts are trending down since his rookie season too. he is, however, an above average defender as well as a decent rebounder. if he came to the knicks it would be his 4th team in 5 seasons which to me is never a good sign.

i'd still prefer evan turner-- also a decent defender but a better playmaker-- but bazemore may be another derrick williams-like project.

knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
knicks1248
Member: #582
4/18/2016  11:48 AM
martin wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
Paris907 wrote:Batum played well in a losing cause. I like Bazemore and he has grit. I suspect Phil won't want him

Im just trying to use common sense. Curry is 25 Bazemore 26 both are really good players. If we have to pay a little more for their services-who cares--whats the goal? To put good players on the floor who know how to play basketball. I think Gasol can be talked into coming here.

If we added Gasol Curry Bazemore and Valentine--look how much better we would be right away. We dont need to spend 20mm on a PG. Both San Antonio and GSW have good athletes not GREAT athletes. Id like to have a couple of top tier athletes for defense but Im perfectly happy with good smart players who work hard and fill in the blanks after. Build a smart skilled team first with high character and work ethic

BRIGGS, you've created like 10 new threads on your thoughts on Curry, Bazemore, Gasol and Valentine. You don't need to respond to every thread on that same thing. We get it.

Got anything more to add onto Bazemore? This is the thread to do it.

and secondly, both Gasol brothers blew phil off already, and curry has never been brought by phil, mills, or Allan...EVER, bazemore either...

Seems like this more of a fantasy of yours, then remotely possible

ES
nixluva
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #758
USA
4/18/2016  11:48 AM
WaltLongmire wrote:Nice player who plays with some fire and is a tough defender, but he has never even averaged over 12PPG in a full season, and his 3pt shooting is average...nothing special.

When I look at his stats, I don't see much which indicates he is a game changer.

And for all the guys who like to shove WS48 in everybody's faces...please tell me how Bazemore has excelled in that statistic.

Sometimes you have to look at how a player is developing and project where they can still grow. I agree that Baze hasn't produced at a high level this year. I prefer Evan Fournier but Bazemore is another option.

BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
4/18/2016  11:50 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
martin wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:

BRIGGS, you've created like 10 new threads on your thoughts on Curry, Bazemore, Gasol and Valentine. You don't need to respond to every thread on that same thing. We get it.

Got anything more to add onto Bazemore? This is the thread to do it.

and secondly, both Gasol brothers blew phil off already, and curry has never been brought by phil, mills, or Allan...EVER, bazemore either...

Seems like this more of a fantasy of yours, then remotely possible

There are fans who try to create solutions using their own opinions and then there are fans who bitch about those posts and just say the coach scks.

RIP Crushalot😞
BRIGGS
4/18/2016  11:58 AM
nixluva wrote:

Sometimes you have to look at how a player is developing and project where they can still grow. I agree that Baze hasn't produced at a high level this year. I prefer Evan Fournier but Bazemore is another option.

Absolutely 100% agree--this is with almost everything in life--you need to see potential to go to the next level. Seems like Walt wouldve tossed Hassan Whiteside to the curb. Pat Riley or Greg Popovich would just pick him up like he did with John Starks Mason Green etc.. There are those who see it and those who dont. Thats why we are the Knicks dont win championships or even enjoy the playoffs and the Heat and Spurs do.

RIP Crushalot😞
mreinman
Member: #3189

4/18/2016  12:14 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
nixluva wrote:

Absolutely 100% agree--this is with almost everything in life--you need to see potential to go to the next level. Seems like Walt wouldve tossed Hassan Whiteside to the curb. Pat Riley or Greg Popovich would just pick him up like he did with John Starks Mason Green etc.. There are those who see it and those who dont. Thats why we are the Knicks dont win championships or even enjoy the playoffs and the Heat and Spurs do.

how about the thousand guys that you wanted that turned out that they suck? What is the percentage of your picks that are correct?

For every Hassan Whiteside there are 20 Hasheem Thabeets.

Its easy to be a lazyboy gm.

so here is what phil is thinking ....
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
4/18/2016  1:01 PM

no you are 100% right. You might see some retorts like "Walt would not have seen Whiteside's potential" which is totally silly.

The Knicks are NOT in a position to throw big money at a guy like Bazemore who may take another step and be very good or may simply be what he is... an NBDL player who looks good at times. Bazemore is 11th on that team in WS/48. He is probably the 5th or 6th "best" player on the Hawks. Spend Carrol type money and you are looking at Shandon Anderson part 2.

I would simply say what is your expectation? After you sign him to 4 years $45mm whats your vision for him? Starting SG? Seems like you are blowing a lot of cap space for a guy who doesn't move the needle much more than Afflalo does.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
H1AND1
Member: #5648

4/18/2016  1:26 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/18/2016  1:26 PM
fishmike wrote:

no you are 100% right. You might see some retorts like "Walt would not have seen Whiteside's potential" which is totally silly.

The Knicks are NOT in a position to throw big money at a guy like Bazemore who may take another step and be very good or may simply be what he is... an NBDL player who looks good at times. Bazemore is 11th on that team in WS/48. He is probably the 5th or 6th "best" player on the Hawks. Spend Carrol type money and you are looking at Shandon Anderson part 2.

I would simply say what is your expectation? After you sign him to 4 years $45mm whats your vision for him? Starting SG? Seems like you are blowing a lot of cap space for a guy who doesn't move the needle much more than Afflalo does.

Yep. Pretty much. Guys like Bazemore look great when they play on a contender and excel in a bit role. The problem arises when teams sign them to $12 million a year like I saw someone post above. Then their value tanks. Bazemore is a nice piece at the min or a couple mil a year, but nothing about him is special enough to warrant being paid like a bonafide starter.

nixluva
USA
4/18/2016  1:30 PM
fishmike wrote:

Perhaps you're right but there is also another aspect you overlook. That's Bazemore's defense. He's WAY better defensively than AA. When paired with Jerian and KP and RoLo that could have a great impact on this team's defense. So it's something to consider when talking about Bazemore. If you can't outscore em, stop em.

fishmike
USA
4/18/2016  1:31 PM
H1AND1 wrote:
fishmike wrote:

Yep. Pretty much. Guys like Bazemore look great when they play on a contender and excel in a bit role. The problem arises when teams sign them to $12 million a year like I saw someone post above. Then their value tanks. Bazemore is a nice piece at the min or a couple mil a year, but nothing about him is special enough to warrant being paid like a bonafide starter.

Is Bazemore better than Shumpert? I don't think he is and Im not a Shump fan.

The worst thing you can do build to be mediocre. I totally understand signing guys with upside and potential. Are we in a position to risk hurting our roster next year to do so? I don't think we are no...

mreinman
Member: #3189

4/18/2016  1:32 PM
fishmike wrote:
H1AND1 wrote:
fishmike wrote:

The worst thing you can do build to be mediocre. I totally understand signing guys with upside and potential. Are we in a position to risk hurting our roster next year to do so? I don't think we are no...

he is far far more efficient.

would still agree overall to not spend big on him.

so here is what phil is thinking ....
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
4/18/2016  1:41 PM
fishmike wrote:
H1AND1 wrote:
fishmike wrote:

The one thing that jumps out at me is that he plays a lot of time at SF? Don't know if he gets over-matched with size or if he could keep up with speedier guys.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
fishmike
USA
4/18/2016  1:44 PM
nixluva wrote:
fishmike wrote:

Perhaps you're right but there is also another aspect you overlook. That's Bazemore's defense. He's WAY better defensively than AA. When paired with Jerian and KP and RoLo that could have a great impact on this team's defense. So it's something to consider when talking about Bazemore. If you can't outscore em, stop em.

for the kind of money people are talking about coupled with his totally pedestrian offensive game the equation doesn't add up. Bazemore is a decent defender. He's not Tony Allen or Lenard.

Again... if you are in favor of adding him I ask what your expectation is? What do you see him impact being? What is our record this year with Bazemore over AA? We win 35 instead of 32? How much does this guy move the needle? Not enough to pay him 8 figures a year.

nixluva
USA
4/18/2016  1:48 PM
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
H1AND1 wrote:
fishmike wrote:

he is far far more efficient.

would still agree overall to not spend big on him.

Baze is a better defender than Iman as well. He's no star but if you can only make incremental improvement you have to be careful not to pay him like he's a star. Problem is the market will be booming. There's at least a chance you can get more offense out of Bazemore with a more prominent role. Baze is long and athletic. He can play without the ball and drive and finish above the rim. I think there's still some untapped potential in the kid.
nixluva
USA
4/18/2016  2:01 PM
fishmike wrote:
nixluva wrote:
fishmike wrote:

for the kind of money people are talking about coupled with his totally pedestrian offensive game the equation doesn't add up. Bazemore is a decent defender. He's not Tony Allen or Lenard.

Again... if you are in favor of adding him I ask what your expectation is? What do you see him impact being? What is our record this year with Bazemore over AA? We win 35 instead of 32? How much does this guy move the needle? Not enough to pay him 8 figures a year.

Baze performed at about a League average WS/48 of .094 He's WAY better on D than AA. The way they use him on the Hawks is as an ancillary part. It's highly possible that he could do more in a different role.

Player Age G MP PER TS% 3PAr FTr ORB% DRB% TRB% AST% STL% BLK% TOV% USG% OWS DWS WS WS/48 ORtg DRtg
Arron Afflalo 30 71 2371 10.9 .531 .298 .164 1.1 11.0 6.1 9.9 0.5 0.3 8.7 17.9 1.8 0.9 2.7 .055 105 112
Kent Bazemore 26 75 2083 13.4 .551 .421 .208 1.5 18.0 9.9 12.7 2.3 1.4 14.8 20.0 0.3 3.8 4.1 .094 99 100

IMO it's more believable that Kent can improve his Offensive Efficiency at the same time giving the team MUCH better defense.

BRIGGS
4/18/2016  2:12 PM
H1AND1 wrote:
fishmike wrote:

LOL!!!! Dude he is a bonafide starter on a 50 win team????? The guy had 23-8 in playoff game #1.???? 1-2mm per year--this isnt the Chinese league.

RIP Crushalot😞
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

4/18/2016  2:46 PM
nixluva wrote:

I like Fournier, too,but you wonder about his D.

I like Bazemore as a defender and competitor...don't mind having somebody with some fire...just not willing to pay too much for him.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
nixluva
USA
4/18/2016  3:04 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:
nixluva wrote:

I like Fournier, too,but you wonder about his D.

I like Bazemore as a defender and competitor...don't mind having somebody with some fire...just not willing to pay too much for him.

Fournier is horrid on D. I mainly like Fournier as a much better offensive player and have to hope we can help him to defend at a more respectable level. He's younger so maybe there's a chance but it would be a risk cuz he's not good on D at all right now.

Bazemore I could see being effective in helping the team right away on the defensive end. He should be fine offensively with a better role.

fishmike
USA
4/18/2016  3:08 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
H1AND1 wrote:
fishmike wrote:

LOL!!!! Dude he is a bonafide starter on a 50 win team????? The guy had 23-8 in playoff game #1.???? 1-2mm per year--this isnt the Chinese league.

Jose Calderon was the starting PG on a 50 win team before the Knicks. You were saying? He's the team's 4th or 5th option. Whoop de doo. The guy is a decent player. He's also playing in a system around other more talented guys. He's the 4th or 5th scoring option. He's out there because he's a better defender than Thabo and he has essentially just replaced Carrol, who was a terrible signing at $15mm for Toronto. Hoping the Knicks don't make that mistake. If you tell me its for AA's $7-$8mm a year OK. If its for $12-$15 its a terrible move. Money matters.
Bazemore looked great last night

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy