[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

We signed Tony Wroten to 3 year contract...
Author Thread
newyorker4ever
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5816

6/1/2016  3:24 PM
blkexec wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:
nixluva wrote:
EwingsGlass wrote:
nixluva wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:Love the part about his progression spiking over the last 7 weeks. Also if he is cleared for contact he will definitely be playing in the summer league games.

I have to say that i've learned a lot about ACL injuries from all of this. In any event I am really pulling for this kid to have a bounce back season and long career. The Knicks most surely could use a break and hopefully Wroten can give this team an explosive, penetrating guard we need.

I think the long layoff and rehab is really gonna help Wroten a lot. More time and work to build up the knee can't hurt at all.

Remember when no one wanted Chris Paul because he had no cartilage in his knee? Good times.

Surgical technique has come such a long way since the old days. It's really amazing how they're able to get guys back on the court or football field. Rehab regimens have also improved. There's just a whole lot more knowledge about how to handle these kinds of injuries now. People forget that Shump had an ACL.

It's funny I re-read the article and I noted how Berman was sounding skeptical about Wroten's athletic ability and it made me think, has this guy even spent one second looking at video of the kid to know what his strengths are? He sounded like someone who NEVER saw Wroten play or bothered to check for himself what kind of player he was.

I hate laziness. At least he could've wrote that he was dubious about the comparison to Westbrook's explosion but I went and looked at his footage and the kid is pretty athletic. I mean how hard is it to youtube a player? There's tons of footage of this kid taking off and finishing over guys. It just kills me when people don't even try to get informed.

One of the main things with Wroten is he needs to not play like he's on the playground or in a And 1 game and play the way of the NBA. The stuff these guys do in the And 1 games are great to watch but you won't be playing in the NBA if you try to play that way. All the crazy passes and showboating needs to be left behind, he got away with it for the 76ers because they really had no system but to just give him the ball and let him do what he wants with it and they kind of did the same thing with Ish Smith last year. Like i said, it's fun to watch but you can't win NBA games playing that way.

Showboating isn't the problem....it's playing within the system while making others better, regardless how fancy you play.....Now if the showboating causes negative plays and turnovers, thats different. Magic Johnson was full of fancy showboating passes and was a hot ticket for the NBA and made his teammates better. It's a gentle balancing act that most role players haven't figured out. The Triangle helps players like Wroten. It gives him the green light to create in fast break situations...........And in half court, it allows him to increase your IQ and make the right play, which makes others better. But those fast break above the rim plays with Wroten and Grant coming at you should be fun to watch, while KP and Melo are lethal weapons that are trailing for the kickout pass.

No there's a difference between the way they play on the playground or in a And 1 game which can't be played in the NBA. All the behind the back passes and passing between someones legs and whatever other showboating (as i like to call it) stuff they do in And 1 needs to be left in the And 1 games and if you watch some Youtube videos of Wroten you'll see him doing a lot of that playground/And1 stuff which most coaches won't tolerate and he was doing some of that stuff with the 76ers.

AUTOADVERT
newyorker4ever
Member: #5816

6/1/2016  3:38 PM
callmened wrote:lets go for 40 pages for wroten. I still cant believe this. lol

I'm still trying to understand why it matters how many pages we talk about any player on the Knicks?? I'm sure this Wroten thread started a long time ago when his name was first brought up as someone the knicks were thinking about signing.

crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
6/1/2016  3:42 PM
newyorker4ever wrote:

I'm still trying to understand why it matters how many pages we talk about any player on the Knicks?? I'm sure this Wroten thread started a long time ago when his name was first brought up as someone the knicks were thinking about signing.

If only there were someway of knowing how this thread started...

¿ △ ?
SocraticBallin22
Member: #6096

6/1/2016  3:44 PM
40 pages on Tony freakin' Wroten...lol
callmened
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #4234

6/1/2016  3:46 PM
newyorker4ever wrote:

im so joking. its not a big deal at all. its just funny that the immortal tony wroten gets 30 pages on a knicks forum site. I don't know what makes him so popular. lol

Knicks should be improved: win about 40 games and maybe sneak into the playoffs. Melo, Rose and even Noah will have some nice moments however this team should be about PORZINGUS. the sooner they make him the primary player, the better
joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
6/1/2016  4:46 PM
callmened wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:

im so joking. its not a big deal at all. its just funny that the immortal tony wroten gets 30 pages on a knicks forum site. I don't know what makes him so popular. lol

I am very bigh on Wroten. If healthy I think he can be a VERY good player for us, in a Wade/Bledsoe/Westbrook style of game.

~You can't run from who you are.~
callmened

6/1/2016  4:56 PM
joec32033 wrote:
callmened wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:

I am very bigh on Wroten. If healthy I think he can be a VERY good player for us, in a Wade/Bledsoe/Westbrook style of game.

I agree. i'll just wait to see if he's healthy

Knicks should be improved: win about 40 games and maybe sneak into the playoffs. Melo, Rose and even Noah will have some nice moments however this team should be about PORZINGUS. the sooner they make him the primary player, the better
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
6/1/2016  5:11 PM
callmened wrote:
joec32033 wrote:
callmened wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:

What do you mean WAIT to see if he's healthy? He's been rehabbing for a very long time now. His only issue was that the leg hadn't been properly built up at the start of the season. He was playing actual games in the NBA this season but when the Knicks docs looked at his legs they noticed his ACL leg was underdeveloped. So the smart thing to do was to rehab and get it up to proper strength. There was no setback with regard to the Knee itself. He just needed more time to get his full conditioning level back. It took Melo a while to get his full strength back too. Doesn't mean Melo's leg wasn't healthy.
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
6/1/2016  5:23 PM
nixluva wrote:
callmened wrote:
joec32033 wrote:
callmened wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:

What do you mean WAIT to see if he's healthy? He's been rehabbing for a very long time now. His only issue was that the leg hadn't been properly built up at the start of the season. He was playing actual games in the NBA this season but when the Knicks docs looked at his legs they noticed his ACL leg was underdeveloped. So the smart thing to do was to rehab and get it up to proper strength. There was no setback with regard to the Knee itself. He just needed more time to get his full conditioning level back. It took Melo a while to get his full strength back too. Doesn't mean Melo's leg wasn't healthy.

We haven't seen him healthy yet. I would love for him to succeed here, but even you have to admit that he's only played 38 games the last two years total and it's a wait and see proposition.

¿ △ ?
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
6/1/2016  5:25 PM
callmened wrote:
joec32033 wrote:
callmened wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:

Ned, I know you, Caseloads and at least one other poster here are doctors. Do you have a medical opinion on his recovery? Also, any insight into the impact of a poorly done initial surgery from when he was in high school needing to be redone. I know some players say it takes a year of being back on the court before they feel like themselves. I am hoping his long rehab shortens that.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
nixluva
USA
6/1/2016  5:53 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/1/2016  5:54 PM
crzymdups wrote:
nixluva wrote:
callmened wrote:
joec32033 wrote:
callmened wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:

We haven't seen him healthy yet. I would love for him to succeed here, but even you have to admit that he's only played 38 games the last two years total and it's a wait and see proposition.

I will repeat that Wroten actually played basketball this season. He didn't have any re-injury of the ACL and played right up until he was waived!!! He simply needed to have more rehab to strengthen the leg and lower the risk of reinjury. People keep saying they want to see him healthy but they are mistaken if they think he had some new injury or wasn't healthy at all. The Knicks were being cautious and prudent in wanting him to fully rehab and get his leg up to full strength in terms of the muscles in his leg.

knicks1248
Member: #582
6/1/2016  6:10 PM
nixluva wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
nixluva wrote:
callmened wrote:
joec32033 wrote:
callmened wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:

I will repeat that Wroten actually played basketball this season. He didn't have any re-injury of the ACL and played right up until he was waived!!! He simply needed to have more rehab to strengthen the leg and lower the risk of reinjury. People keep saying they want to see him healthy but they are mistaken if they think he had some new injury or wasn't healthy at all. The Knicks were being cautious and prudent in wanting him to fully rehab and get his leg up to full strength in terms of the muscles in his leg.

well if he is not a 100% then he's not healthy. He maybe healed from his injury and can walk and run normally, but from a professional basket ball stand point, he wasn't ready.

The fact that he had the same injury twice, thats a serious concern

ES
knicks1248
Member: #582
6/1/2016  6:11 PM
SocraticBallin22 wrote:40 pages on Tony freakin' Wroten...lol

this maybe a record

ES
nixluva
USA
6/1/2016  6:34 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
nixluva wrote:
callmened wrote:
joec32033 wrote:
callmened wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:

well if he is not a 100% then he's not healthy. He maybe healed from his injury and can walk and run normally, but from a professional basket ball stand point, he wasn't ready.

The fact that he had the same injury twice, thats a serious concern

Melo wasn't even at 100% this season and played. It's not uncommon for a player to need time to build up their conditioning to their previous level after a surgery. Wroten was actually cleared to play this season. He started on a minutes restriction and they increased his minutes progressively. He did not have a setback and was actually playing games up until he was waived. He played 29 minutes 2 days before being waived.

Tue, Dec 22, 2015 09:49:00 PM Tony Wroten started for Kendall Marshall (rest) in Tuesday's loss and had seven points, seven assists and five rebounds on 2-of-9 shooting in 29 minutes. He's not shooting well and is not scoring much as a result, and the bench role behind Marshall isn't doing him any favors. Wroten's averaging 10.4 points, 3.2 rebounds and 2.6 assists over his last five games and Marshall is the choice to start for the Sixers when he's able to play.

By Alec Nathan Dec 24, 2015
The Philadelphia 76ers are releasing point guard Tony Wroten to clear a roster spot for Ish Smith
, who was acquired in a trade with the New Orleans Pelicans on Thursday, according to Yahoo Sports' Marc J. Spears.

The Knicks upon examining him felt that there was risk to him playing with his ACL leg not being as strong as it should be even tho he was playing on it. This was a smart precautionary move and not a sign that he was not healthy. There's a HUGE difference between not being able to play due to injury and being held out to rehab and attain the highest possible conditioning. Now he's had a chance workout and get his leg back to full condition and his explosion is reportedly back.

callmened

6/1/2016  9:20 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/1/2016  9:20 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
Ned, I know you, Caseloads and at least one other poster here are doctors. Do you have a medical opinion on his recovery? Also, any insight into the impact of a poorly done initial surgery from when he was in high school needing to be redone. I know some players say it takes a year of being back on the court before they feel like themselves. I am hoping his long rehab shortens that.

i'm concerned whenever a player goes under the knife for ONE surgery let alone TWO surgeries on the same knee. wroten's game was based on athleticism and im sure that has been compromised. with that said, he's still relatively young - so he COULD bounce back. what he needed was TIME to rehab and bounce back and it seems like he got it. but with that said, i think its safe to say that he is NOT a safe bet or a guaranteed deal. like i said in another post, he has to prove (at least to me), that the knee isnt a problem have playing NBA competition for months. we wont know in the summer league if the knee is ok - we'll know in January (after 2 months of NBA bball) if the knee is ok. once melo was able to keep playing past january i was re-assured that his minor knee surgery was ok. until then, im happy that he's healthy and im also very very excited that the knicks took a chance with him. but no i'm not getting my hopes up yet until he can at least last thru january

nixluva
USA
6/1/2016  9:43 PM
callmened wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

i'm concerned whenever a player goes under the knife for ONE surgery let alone TWO surgeries on the same knee. wroten's game was based on athleticism and im sure that has been compromised. with that said, he's still relatively young - so he COULD bounce back. what he needed was TIME to rehab and bounce back and it seems like he got it. but with that said, i think its safe to say that he is NOT a safe bet or a guaranteed deal. like i said in another post, he has to prove (at least to me), that the knee isnt a problem have playing NBA competition for months. we wont know in the summer league if the knee is ok - we'll know in January (after 2 months of NBA bball) if the knee is ok. once melo was able to keep playing past january i was re-assured that his minor knee surgery was ok. until then, im happy that he's healthy and im also very very excited that the knicks took a chance with him. but no i'm not getting my hopes up yet until he can at least last thru january

It goes without saying that there is risk with any 2nd ACL reconstruction as there is with just one. I looked a one study that said there was a 14% fail rate on 2nd ACL Reconstructions. While it's higher than 1st time ACL failure rate it's still not like he's just a ticking time bomb. The 1st operation which was back in Sept. of 2009 this most recent surgery was Feb. 4, 2015. So his 1st ACL surgery lasted about 5 years before it failed.

Shump had his ACL back in 2012 as did Ricky Rubio and Derrick Rose. The key is how much damage to the rest of the Knee each player suffers. Wroten was very fortunate that he didn't do damage to other parts of his knee. The last time he didn't even completely tear his ACL. He was even considering rest and playing again, which would've been a mistake, but it wasn't a total blowout of his knee. Chances are that he's gonna need a scope at some point in the future, but it's worth the risk on a reasonable contract.

joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
6/2/2016  12:27 AM
Would it be better if i reworded "if healthy" to "if fully rehabbed"?
~You can't run from who you are.~
nixluva
USA
6/2/2016  1:21 AM
joec32033 wrote:Would it be better if i reworded "if healthy" to "if fully rehabbed"?

Wording does matter so yes it would make a difference. Healthy and Rehabbed are different things IMO. There's nothing structurally wrong with the leg. It wasn't strong as it should be. That just means more rahab to build it up. Melo has come back playing poorly more than once after surgery and that wasn't just rust but also his conditioning wasn't 100% in his legs. He stated even this season that he didn't have the same lift and then late in the year he said he finally had the lift in his legs back. What Wroten experience was very similar but perhaps even worse, which is why the Knicks wanted him to get more rehab rather than try to play on it cuz the risk wasn't worth it.

NOT THAT HE COULDN'T PLAY but that it wasn't the smart thing to do. Some are making it sound like he wasn't even healthy enough to play but that wasn't the case. He was actually playing this season and did not have any setbacks. Wroten simply wasn't 100% strong in the ACL repaired leg. It would be risky to just try and play his way into shape and the Knicks were smart to hold him back and just do the rehab. Now they say he has his lift back and his explosion and that isn't about injury that's about conditioning and strength in the leg. We're all pulling for the kid so i'm hoping he has a successful and healthy Knicks career.

93BUICK
Member: #1175
USA
6/2/2016  5:02 AM
blkexec wrote:76ers head coach Brett Brown described Wroten as a, “Mini LeBron James."

That's so page 23

If you are still following the team and reading sites like this, there is nothing, short of your own demise, that is going to throw you off this train.
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

6/2/2016  8:51 AM
Just when I thought I was out, this thread pulls me back in. There should be an admission fee to get in like exploring the world's biggest ball of twine.
We signed Tony Wroten to 3 year contract...

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy