[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

If you could trade Ro Lo for David and 3 picks from Boston 2 later 1's and their top 2nd would you do it? 19-22-31 + David Lee

Author Poll
BRIGGS
Member: #303
Choice of players picked

Kay Felder--19
Denzel Valentine--21
AJ Hammonds--31

My thesis is it give us a real rebuild--more players around KPs age---all 3 of which can be rotation players now and I think felder is going to be a star. You then have Hammonds(7-1 275 KP 7-3 245 and Willy G upfront with two vet)

We add 2 important young guards and ADD 10mm in cap space to add to have max and space to use another 8mm. You have to give to get. Wed have more in totality.

No Ro Lo is a standard piece that we need in the middle
Yes I can see we can diversify the team and make it much more potent
View Results

Author Thread
yellowboy90
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #3538

2/7/2016  9:55 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:I think Briggs is overestimating the value of these picks. Historically, only about 20% of guys drafted in the mid 20s go on to become solid nba starters based on 82games' analysis. We need to trade RoLo for about 5 of these late picks for it to be even. Even then, you have to realize that you're waiting a few years for the players to develop. If you have a good, 2 way 7 foot center, you're better off holding onto him and buying a couple of these picks.
http://www.82games.com/nbadraftpicks.htm

Isn't that an old article and are you sure their formula for rating players is not flawed?

AUTOADVERT
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
2/7/2016  10:50 AM
yellowboy90 wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:I think Briggs is overestimating the value of these picks. Historically, only about 20% of guys drafted in the mid 20s go on to become solid nba starters based on 82games' analysis. We need to trade RoLo for about 5 of these late picks for it to be even. Even then, you have to realize that you're waiting a few years for the players to develop. If you have a good, 2 way 7 foot center, you're better off holding onto him and buying a couple of these picks.

Isn't that an old article and are you sure their formula for rating players is not flawed?

Old? Yes but I doubt the expected value of draft picks has changed significantly. Flawed? Every stat and every eyeball assessment is flawed to some extent. I haven't found (or recently searched for) other draft pick expected value ratings. I suspect this is better than just guessing how much a draft pick will produce.
Bonn1997
USA
2/7/2016  10:55 AM    LAST EDITED: 2/7/2016  11:01 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:

Old? Yes but I doubt the expected value of draft picks has changed significantly. Flawed? Every stat and every eyeball assessment is flawed to some extent. I haven't found (or recently searched for) other draft pick expected value ratings. I suspect this is better than just guessing how much a draft pick will produce.

I just did some more searching. This is also old but indicates the average 25th pick will earn 6.2 win shares in his first 4 seasons. Rolo in his past 4 seasons has 22.4 win shares.
http://www.basketball-reference.com/blog/?p=2740
You could say total win shares is confounded with minutes played but RoLo hasn't played a huge number of minutes. Either way, I think he'll kick the butts of most 25th picks in production. I'm going to take a guess that in a typical NBA draft, only 1 of the 10 guys drafted in the 20s will outproduce Rolo in win shares. Maybe another 1 or 2 come close and then 7 or 8 are below him. I'd rather just try to buy these picks.
yellowboy90
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #3538

2/7/2016  11:08 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:

I just did some more searching. This is also old but indicates the average 25th pick will earn 6.2 win shares in his first 4 seasons. Rolo in his past 4 seasons has 22.4 win shares.
You could say total win shares is confounded with minutes played but RoLo hasn't played a huge number of minutes. Either way, I think he'll kick the butts of most 25th picks in production. I'm going to take a guess that in a typical NBA draft, only 1 of the 10 guys drafted in the 20s will outproduce Rolo in win shares.

I do not disagree with you on RoLo being better value than the 25th pick based on his production I was just wondering about the data you were using.

Also, I wonder how much the value picks 25th or beyond has done lately? Maybe it just seems like more players have succeeded lately who were picked 25th or beyond?

Bonn1997
USA
2/7/2016  11:14 AM    LAST EDITED: 2/7/2016  11:18 AM
yellowboy90 wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:

You could say total win shares is confounded with minutes played but RoLo hasn't played a huge number of minutes. Either way, I think he'll kick the butts of most 25th picks in production. I'm going to take a guess that in a typical NBA draft, only 1 of the 10 guys drafted in the 20s will outproduce Rolo in win shares.

I do not disagree with you on RoLo being better value than the 25th pick based on his production I was just wondering about the data you were using.

Also, I wonder how much the value picks 25th or beyond has done lately? Maybe it just seems like more players have succeeded lately who were picked 25th or beyond?

That I don't know. You were right to ask about the data I cited. I'm guessing with the money saved from Rolo's salary, we just get another Aaron Afflalo. Other than RoLo, Phil has never added a starting caliber FA. We need to win to attract FAs. I think this trade is really bad. It would be interesting to see current production of NBA draft picks. I suspect little has changed and people just selectively focus on the one or two draft picks playing at a high level.
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
2/7/2016  11:35 AM
Paris907 wrote:Knicks concerns as of late are many including down time for Melo. Yet the most glaring issue is their not playing the D they did earlier. Losing ROLO hurts the D and no one on the roster is a replacement

The only reason I say rol o is that I don't think in the long run kp is anything more than a 5. I don't think in today's nba 2 seven footers work

RIP Crushalot😞
BRIGGS
2/7/2016  11:40 AM
Valentine and felder would make you forget about rolo after 1 game
RIP Crushalot😞
Bonn1997
USA
2/7/2016  1:53 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
Paris907 wrote:Knicks concerns as of late are many including down time for Melo. Yet the most glaring issue is their not playing the D they did earlier. Losing ROLO hurts the D and no one on the roster is a replacement

The only reason I say rol o is that I don't think in the long run kp is anything more than a 5. I don't think in today's nba 2 seven footers work

OK but then play Rolo 35 mpg next year to inflate his #s and you'll get more than some picks around 30. For half of this season, he played the worst ball of his career. Don't trade him now.
Either way, I suspect your premise is wrong. It would be interesting to see KP's #s with and without Rolo. I know earlier the rebounding figures were posted and KP was way better with Rolo on the court but that was pretty early in the season.
BRIGGS
2/7/2016  2:07 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:

OK but then play Rolo 35 mpg next year to inflate his #s and you'll get more than some picks around 30. For half of this season, he played the worst ball of his career. Don't trade him now.
Either way, I suspect your premise is wrong. It would be interesting to see KP's #s with and without Rolo. I know earlier the rebounding figures were posted and KP was way better with Rolo on the court but that was pretty early in the season.

Future

RIP Crushalot😞
mreinman
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3189

2/7/2016  2:10 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:

Future

k

so here is what phil is thinking ....
Bonn1997
USA
2/7/2016  3:24 PM
mreinman wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:

Future

k

LOL - I'm going to infer that he's saying trading now (selling low) is best for our future - somehow.
mreinman
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3189

2/7/2016  3:29 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
mreinman wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:

Future

k

LOL - I'm going to infer that he's saying trading now (selling low) is best for our future - somehow.

I am gonna assume that he believes that our future is in the hands of Hasheem.

so here is what phil is thinking ....
If you could trade Ro Lo for David and 3 picks from Boston 2 later 1's and their top 2nd would you do it? 19-22-31 + David Lee

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy