Author Thread
newyorker4ever
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5816

11/28/2015  8:52 AM
Vmart wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
Vmart wrote:
crzymdups wrote:Relax, guys. The Heat are just a better team than the Knicks.

I'm not sure they are better just better coached. How do you start your top guys all on the bench in the 4th quarter.

No, trust me. The Heat are better. They have two hall of famers in their starting lineup, the league's leading shot blocker, a coveted FA point guard and Luol Deng, Gerald Green, or Justice Winslow to plug in at SF. They have a coach and two stars intact from the team that went to four NBA finals in a row and won two of them. They are better than the Knicks right now.

This is not about substitution patterns. They are a far better team.

Could the Knicks have played better? Yes. Could they have beaten the Heat? It would've taken a lot. A Lot.

Two? Are considering Bosh as a HOF? If he is HOF then NBA is crap. Trust me they are not that much better than the Knicks just ask Detroit who just finished wiping the floor with them. It's obvious to me the Knicks have a crappy Coach and an inferiority complex when it comes to Miami.

You need to wake up. Bosh is an absolute beast at everything on the court and they're a way better team than we are. We still need a star player to play with Melo and KP. Someone that's athletic, can play defense and shoot it lights out. Phil will be looking for that player around the trade deadline.
AUTOADVERT
newyorker4ever

11/28/2015  8:54 AM
Vmart wrote:
nixluva wrote:This is year one of our rebuild so I see no reason to panic or despair over this team losing to better teams!!! Our schedule has been BRUTAL!! Just look at the team's we've played and it's chock full of playoff teams. Gotta expect this team isn't going to function perfectly.

Hopefully they win the games they should win and in the end they have a good year. 8-9 isn't horrible given our schedule IMO.

Rebuilding majority of the players are vets. That doesn't constitute as rebuilding. This is a piss poor coaching job going.

Holy crap do you understand what a rebuild is?? It doesn't matter if the team you put together is with vets or rookies cause it's still a rebuild. These are new players that most have never played with each other so it's a rebuild.
newyorker4ever

11/28/2015  8:59 AM
Vmart wrote:
Swishfm3 wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
Vmart wrote:

I'm not sure they are better just better coached. How do you start your top guys all on the bench in the 4th quarter.

No, trust me. The Heat are better. They have two hall of famers in their starting lineup, the league's leading shot blocker, a coveted FA point guard and Luol Deng, Gerald Green, or Justice Winslow to plug in at SF. They have a coach and two stars intact from the team that went to four NBA finals in a row and won two of them. They are better than the Knicks right now.

Could the Knicks have played better? Yes. Could they have beaten the Heat? It would've taken a lot. A Lot.

The voice of reason.

If you picked the Knicks to win this match, then you are delusional (I do admit I didn't expect a 20 point loss). All we can hope for is for the Knicks to continue to show improvement as the season goes on.

Delusional is not the right word optimistic maybe. Look Miami is an ok team at best. They have the Knicks number. But if you watch the game you will see that they did nothing exceptional and the Knicks with poor rotation and once again poor preparation failed. This game wasn't about the Heat winning it was more about the Knicks bring poor effort from top to bottom. How can a team be in it at half and then just not show for the second half. Fisher isn't very good at coaching I get that he is still green under the collar. But that can no longer be the reason for losses and he needs to do better. This is absolutely not acceptable losing home games by 20 points is no longer acceptable.

I stopped reading at "Miami is an ok team." they will be playing Cleveland for the Easter conference championship when it's all said and done and if they have D-Wade and C.Bosh healthy at that time they'll have a good chance of winning the east.
newyorker4ever

11/28/2015  9:11 AM
Vmart wrote:
nixluva wrote:
Vmart wrote:
nixluva wrote:
Panos wrote:
nixluva wrote:This is year one of our rebuild so I see no reason to panic or despair over this team losing to better teams!!! Our schedule has been BRUTAL!! Just look at the team's we've played and it's chock full of playoff teams. Gotta expect this team isn't going to function perfectly.

Hopefully they win the games they should win and in the end they have a good year. 8-9 isn't horrible given our schedule IMO.

Every year is year one of the rebuild since 2001.

You really gonna post some dumb ish like this given the Knicks just changed most of their roster and drafted 2 first round players? If this is all you're gonna add you should just stay silent!

Nixluva, your optimism can be contagious but this time you are wrong. This team is built to win games you can't say this is a rebuilding team a rebuilding team is tWolves the Sixers, the Pelicans. The Knicks may have a few young players but that doesn't constitute rebuilding. Having a coach who is in the second year of coaching with no prior experience is not rebuilding that is just not smart he is killing this team with his coaching.

Who said this team isn't expected to win games??? The team was rebuilt this summer and it's not an old team. This is a team that has a lot of developing players in the mix. It depends on those players in order to win! You can't just ignore the fact that we need KP, Gallo and Jerian to play well. Not to mention other young role players.

Despite the 3 game losing streak this team has had a pretty good season so far. They would be a playoff team in the West right now. There's a long way to go.

Last year Steve Kerr implemented his system over the summer. I get the Knicks don't have a Curry or Thompson. Other than that I have very mild expectation of the Knicks. But you have to be blind not to see the mistakes made by Fisher. You can see also that Melo is aging in dog years the man has absolutely very little separation from defenders nothing easy everything much to hard earned. But that's a discussion for another time.

You can't continue to make excuses for a coach that is bringing his talent level down to his coaching ability.

Again just as i just said about Spoelstra not being a great coach i say the same about S.Kerr. When you have great players you don't need a great coach and that's why the Warriors are undefeated even without their "great coach" coaching a single game. Was Mike Brown a great coach when he was coaching Lebron in Cleveland and Lebron brought them to i think like 3/4 conference finals and brought them to the NBA finals but when Lebron wasn't playing for him he was horrible for the Lakers and now can't find a head coaching job?? Popovich is a great coach. P.Riley was a great coach. R.carlisle is a great coach winning the championship with Dirk and and a old J.Kidd and T.Chandler and J.Calderon. S.Kerr hasn't proven anything for me yet and neither has E.Spoelstra.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
11/28/2015  9:15 AM
Knixkik wrote:
Vmart wrote:Melo needs to go. He has become an easy guard for opposing teams. Brings very little to the table bad shooting poor ball handling no movement without the ball. I don't hate Melo he is what he is good player but no superstar. Down side of career. Time is now to strike a deal. Dolan has his ticket seller in KP. Phil needs to can Fisher not coaching material first choice was the correct one.

It's not happening. Let it go. And making porzingis the featured guy right now is very bad for his development.

Right. Also, every time experts talk about Okafor and sometimes Russell being in a bad situation Porzingis (along with Towns) is brought up as a guy in a great situation in part because he plays with Anthony and is being mentored by Anthony.

I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
clyderules
Member: #6156

11/28/2015  10:21 AM
I thought that Porzingis was being mentored by Sasha and Seraphin. Silly me!
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
11/28/2015  10:54 AM
they seem to be playing worse, not better - that is a concern.

Melo does not look anything like a super star. He forces it too often. Better defense for sure. But he can't impose his will - he is going to have to work with the team to find opportunities to score.

Afflalo might not be able to contribute more than what he has.

I am still hopeful we'll be closer to 40 wins than 30, but the trend over the last 5-7 games is not good.

Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
11/28/2015  10:55 AM
newyorker4ever wrote:
Vmart wrote:
nixluva wrote:
Vmart wrote:
nixluva wrote:
Panos wrote:

You really gonna post some dumb ish like this given the Knicks just changed most of their roster and drafted 2 first round players? If this is all you're gonna add you should just stay silent!

Nixluva, your optimism can be contagious but this time you are wrong. This team is built to win games you can't say this is a rebuilding team a rebuilding team is tWolves the Sixers, the Pelicans. The Knicks may have a few young players but that doesn't constitute rebuilding. Having a coach who is in the second year of coaching with no prior experience is not rebuilding that is just not smart he is killing this team with his coaching.

Who said this team isn't expected to win games??? The team was rebuilt this summer and it's not an old team. This is a team that has a lot of developing players in the mix. It depends on those players in order to win! You can't just ignore the fact that we need KP, Gallo and Jerian to play well. Not to mention other young role players.

Despite the 3 game losing streak this team has had a pretty good season so far. They would be a playoff team in the West right now. There's a long way to go.

Last year Steve Kerr implemented his system over the summer. I get the Knicks don't have a Curry or Thompson. Other than that I have very mild expectation of the Knicks. But you have to be blind not to see the mistakes made by Fisher. You can see also that Melo is aging in dog years the man has absolutely very little separation from defenders nothing easy everything much to hard earned. But that's a discussion for another time.

You can't continue to make excuses for a coach that is bringing his talent level down to his coaching ability.

Again just as i just said about Spoelstra not being a great coach i say the same about S.Kerr. When you have great players you don't need a great coach and that's why the Warriors are undefeated even without their "great coach" coaching a single game. Was Mike Brown a great coach when he was coaching Lebron in Cleveland and Lebron brought them to i think like 3/4 conference finals and brought them to the NBA finals but when Lebron wasn't playing for him he was horrible for the Lakers and now can't find a head coaching job?? Popovich is a great coach. P.Riley was a great coach. R.carlisle is a great coach winning the championship with Dirk and and a old J.Kidd and T.Chandler and J.Calderon. S.Kerr hasn't proven anything for me yet and neither has E.Spoelstra.

I stopped reading at you name.

Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
11/28/2015  11:09 AM
newyorker4ever wrote:
Vmart wrote:
Swishfm3 wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
Vmart wrote:

The voice of reason.

If you picked the Knicks to win this match, then you are delusional (I do admit I didn't expect a 20 point loss). All we can hope for is for the Knicks to continue to show improvement as the season goes on.

Delusional is not the right word optimistic maybe. Look Miami is an ok team at best. They have the Knicks number. But if you watch the game you will see that they did nothing exceptional and the Knicks with poor rotation and once again poor preparation failed. This game wasn't about the Heat winning it was more about the Knicks bring poor effort from top to bottom. How can a team be in it at half and then just not show for the second half. Fisher isn't very good at coaching I get that he is still green under the collar. But that can no longer be the reason for losses and he needs to do better. This is absolutely not acceptable losing home games by 20 points is no longer acceptable.

I stopped reading at "Miami is an ok team." they will be playing Cleveland for the Easter conference championship when it's all said and done and if they have D-Wade and C.Bosh healthy at that time they'll have a good chance of winning the east.

They won't be in the ECF. It's an ok team because Wade is put together with scotch tape and will go down once or twice in the season. If Spolestra is a bad coach or isn't very good what is Fisher then. Rebuilding means a total tear down and everything new over span of years. For me rebuilding means going into draft year after year and building the team from core up. What the Knicks have done is not rebuilding but have rebuilt in one season. Rebuilding constitutes years in the making. With contracts offered up and vets with no first round pick this is a complete product.

As for Bosh being HOF that is debatable. For me he is borderline. But in the NBA he will get in just as Melo will. All good player eventually get in.

WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

11/28/2015  11:14 AM
newyorker4ever wrote:
Vmart wrote:
nixluva wrote:
Vmart wrote:
nixluva wrote:
Panos wrote:

Funny...everyone saw Gentry as the offensive guru...he's gone but the team wins;

Everyone thought Kerr was the coaching genius...he's gone but the team wins;

Either Luke Walton is the real coaching genius, or perhaps there just might be something to this great players theory...

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
WaltLongmire

11/28/2015  11:30 AM
franco12 wrote:they seem to be playing worse, not better - that is a concern.

Melo does not look anything like a super star. He forces it too often. Better defense for sure. But he can't impose his will - he is going to have to work with the team to find opportunities to score.

Afflalo might not be able to contribute more than what he has.

I am still hopeful we'll be closer to 40 wins than 30, but the trend over the last 5-7 games is not good.

Both Aflalo and Anthony will continue to get better.

Anthony might have to re-think what he wants to do on the court to take into consideration his present physical limitations.

Aflalo just turned 30...he will recover as the season progresses. Amazing how much he is sweating and how he looks after just a few minutes on the court. He will be better as the season progresses.

You have seen glimpses of what they can still do during certain segments in games.

Fisher needs to give them the occasional day off. The back to back that culminated in Houston seems to have taken a lot out of certain players...if you are thinking long term and working with players who are 30+ and coming off injuries, a well timed day off will really help.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
knickscity
Member: #4241
USA
11/28/2015  11:30 AM
WaltLongmire wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:
Vmart wrote:
nixluva wrote:
Vmart wrote:
nixluva wrote:
Panos wrote:

Funny...everyone saw Gentry as the offensive guru...he's gone but the team wins;

Either Luke Walton is the real coaching genius, or perhaps there just might be something to this great players theory...

So basically coaches shouldnt get credit for their teams winning?
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
11/28/2015  11:45 AM
The Heat's roster exposes some major issues the Knicks have in roster construction, namely:

1) Speed at all positions, particularly the guards. We can't get penetration and have a hard time containing the penetration of other teams without help from Rolo and KP - which obviously creates other openings for a good team to exploit with a pass or two.

2) Lack of a true backup PF. KP did pretty well on Bosh. Once he got into foul trouble, we had no one to guard Bosh. Going big with two centers in Seraphin and KOQ is a disaster. Lou Amundson hustles, but is not long enough on D to bother Bosh and not quick enough either. Lance is a tweener. DWill is tweener.

3) Lack of depth at the swing 2/3 positions. We don't have one of those 3 and D swing men like DeMarre Carroll or Kent Bazemore or Justice Winslow. Miami has a few of those guys, even with Deng out, they were deeper than us there and it showed. When Afflalo is healthy and playing well this is less of a problem - but for whatever reason both Afflalo and Galloway looked absolutely terrible this whole week (past three games). Galloway may have had his worst week as a Knick, after having one of his best.

4) Lack of offensive structure on the bench unit. In both games with the Heat, the starters came out and looked good and got a solid lead. The bench came in on Monday and it went to hell. Fisher did a better job with his substitutions last night and the first half felt more fluid... until KP got in foul trouble. But when the full bench is in the game we don't have structure. Ever notice how KP is one of the only Knicks who uses that Triangle back cut to get a wide open jumper at the FT line? He does it several times per game. DWill had been utilizing that play in the pre-season, though I can't remember the last time I saw him do it in the regular season. Same with Lance, who always seems to take long, contested twos. There is terrible ball movement and movement without the ball on the second unit right now, it is truly horrendous. That part is somewhat coaching, but also somewhat on Grant and Galloway for not running the offense and the rest of the bench for not following the offense or any kind of game plan.

First three issues are true roster issues that we'll have to address through maybe trades or free agency next summer. The fourth issue is a coaching issue and can hopefully be improved as the season progresses.

¿ △ ?
knickscity
USA
11/28/2015  12:00 PM
Bosh really hasnt played well in either game. This team doesnt defend and the offense is awful. Thats on top of a cast of players featuring some that wouldnt be on better teams.
WaltLongmire

11/28/2015  12:40 PM
knickscity wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:
Vmart wrote:
nixluva wrote:
Vmart wrote:
nixluva wrote:
Panos wrote:

So basically coaches shouldnt get credit for their teams winning?

You are generalizing from the GS situation...never said that this type of thing is true all the time, but...

It is Curry's team, and cannot coach a team to play like they are playing because nobody has a player like him.

Guys space out on the floor and seem to have the freedom to shoot when they are open, but they have guys who have the confidence to hit them and take them, and everyone on the team has confidence in each other.

Maybe you learn a few defensive schemes, but you also need intelligent players who can think on their own during a game.

The sport is too fast moving for a coach to have as much of an impact, and on a good team guys are always communicating and the better players are behaving as coaches.

The most egregious example has been Lebron as a Cav. In both instances he has had weaker coaches, and in his present stint as a Cav it has been disgraceful how he has shown up his coach at times.

You see dumb players doing dumb things throughout their career, no matter who coaches them, and the guys with the high BB IQ play smart ball no matter where they play, and they bring that intelligence to whatever team they are on.

Football and baseball might be more coach dominant because of the pace of their respective games.

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
11/28/2015  12:51 PM
It ALWAYS starts with the talent!!! Yes you need a good coach, but it always starts with having superior talent. Right now this team is struggling because for the most part we have too many guys who are not performing at a high enough level. Strangely we are living off KP and Melo and if we can get solid performances from at least 4 more players then we have a chance to win, but if Afflalo, Jose, Gallo, DWill or Jerian don't play well then we are doomed.

Our bench has been slumping and also we've really been playing some TOUGH teams. We've gotta hope this team can pull it together and win some games against the weaker teams as they continue to develop as a team and as individuals. In this current NBA East the Knicks being 8-9 is actually pretty damn good. This conference is really tough!!!

JrZyHuStLa
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1241

11/28/2015  1:46 PM
Rockets, Sixers and Nets next 3.

Chris Bosh will easily surpass 20k points and 10k rebounds when he is done, in addition to his championships which is a bonus with HOF consideration.

Easily HOF.

Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
11/28/2015  1:56 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
Vmart wrote:Melo needs to go. He has become an easy guard for opposing teams. Brings very little to the table bad shooting poor ball handling no movement without the ball. I don't hate Melo he is what he is good player but no superstar. Down side of career. Time is now to strike a deal. Dolan has his ticket seller in KP. Phil needs to can Fisher not coaching material first choice was the correct one.

It's not happening. Let it go. And making porzingis the featured guy right now is very bad for his development.

Right. Also, every time experts talk about Okafor and sometimes Russell being in a bad situation Porzingis (along with Towns) is brought up as a guy in a great situation in part because he plays with Anthony and is being mentored by Anthony.

Exactly right. And having vets like Amundson, Vujacic, and Calderon (as some may argue) does not do the trick. Like Garnett and Prince in Minn, you need a guy like Melo who is or has been a star in the NBA to help raise a star. While Porzingis may respect each of the vets on the knicks and take their advice to heart, there is no doubt he has a respect level for Melo which is unique because Melo has accomplished so much in the league.

knickscity
USA
11/28/2015  2:17 PM
nixluva wrote:It ALWAYS starts with the talent!!! Yes you need a good coach, but it always starts with having superior talent. Right now this team is struggling because for the most part we have too many guys who are not performing at a high enough level. Strangely we are living off KP and Melo and if we can get solid performances from at least 4 more players then we have a chance to win, but if Afflalo, Jose, Gallo, DWill or Jerian don't play well then we are doomed.

Our bench has been slumping and also we've really been playing some TOUGH teams. We've gotta hope this team can pull it together and win some games against the weaker teams as they continue to develop as a team and as individuals. In this current NBA East the Knicks being 8-9 is actually pretty damn good. This conference is really tough!!!

i agree the 9-9 is good, much better than I figured they'd be. Also glad to see you're finally noting how good the east actually is. other than the Wizards, and perhaps the Bucks, every single team is where I thought they'd be.
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

11/28/2015  2:23 PM
nixluva wrote:It ALWAYS starts with the talent!!! Yes you need a good coach, but it always starts with having superior talent. Right now this team is struggling because for the most part we have too many guys who are not performing at a high enough level. Strangely we are living off KP and Melo and if we can get solid performances from at least 4 more players then we have a chance to win, but if Afflalo, Jose, Gallo, DWill or Jerian don't play well then we are doomed.

I agree with Briggs about Jose. Good locker room guy and everything, he gets paid to play basketball first and foremost, and he is not doing a very good job of it. I need more from Affalo as well. Both are seriously inconsistent and/or under-performing. I haven't seen many games this season, but Jerian Grant's numbers have been underwhelming - given the hype on this board. going in.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
30 win team tops

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy