BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
5/16/2016  3:56 PM
callmened wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
callmened wrote:gbinije NEVER flattened out. he was consistent all season

He had 7-8 sub par games right in a row --right after I posted him this high

ive watched every syracuse game since 1999, he had a very consistent seen and didnt drop off at all. maybe we have two different definitions of drop off

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/56115/michael-gbinije

Yeah he shot 32% in 7 straight games when they lost 4 in a row in January--he was awful for a long stretch there.

RIP Crushalot😞
AUTOADVERT
callmened
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #4234

5/16/2016  7:42 PM
eh. yeah we have different ideas of bad. the TEAM was awful and they had no options. therefore he was forced to put up bad shots. i never thought he was awful though. if anything i thought without him they wouldve lost games by 50 instead of 15
Knicks should be improved: win about 40 games and maybe sneak into the playoffs. Melo, Rose and even Noah will have some nice moments however this team should be about PORZINGUS. the sooner they make him the primary player, the better
KNICKSBIGCATS
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #3745

5/18/2016  6:47 PM
I’ve already heard rumors of the Lakers liking Chris Dunn and they had a great interview with Murray. If we think back to other drafts. What did people think of Paul George or Stephen Curry? They didn’t go number one. How do we know if Murray or Hield won’t be the next Kobe Bryant. If Bender might not be the next Paul Gasol who can also shoot 3’s. I maybe wrong, but I don’t see the next Tim Duncan or Lebron in this years #1 or #2. They may appear to be better than the other players left, but time will tell if that is true. Then of course there is injuries to consider. Does Odum ring any bells or Embiid?
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships." -Michael Jordan
BRIGGS
5/19/2016  12:04 PM
KNICKSBIGCATS wrote:I’ve already heard rumors of the Lakers liking Chris Dunn and they had a great interview with Murray. If we think back to other drafts. What did people think of Paul George or Stephen Curry? They didn’t go number one. How do we know if Murray or Hield won’t be the next Kobe Bryant. If Bender might not be the next Paul Gasol who can also shoot 3’s. I maybe wrong, but I don’t see the next Tim Duncan or Lebron in this years #1 or #2. They may appear to be better than the other players left, but time will tell if that is true. Then of course there is injuries to consider. Does Odum ring any bells or Embiid?

Hey Knicks what do you think of Allen Crabbe--he looks like a young Allan Houston. How many people here remember when Allan Houston was in the dunk contest as a alternative and did that dunk off his head?

RIP Crushalot😞
KNICKSBIGCATS

5/19/2016  10:45 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
KNICKSBIGCATS wrote:I’ve already heard rumors of the Lakers liking Chris Dunn and they had a great interview with Murray. If we think back to other drafts. What did people think of Paul George or Stephen Curry? They didn’t go number one. How do we know if Murray or Hield won’t be the next Kobe Bryant. If Bender might not be the next Paul Gasol who can also shoot 3’s. I maybe wrong, but I don’t see the next Tim Duncan or Lebron in this years #1 or #2. They may appear to be better than the other players left, but time will tell if that is true. Then of course there is injuries to consider. Does Odum ring any bells or Embiid?

Hey Knicks what do you think of Allen Crabbe--he looks like a young Allan Houston. How many people here remember when Allan Houston was in the dunk contest as a alternative and did that dunk off his head?

There's alot to like about Allen Crabbe, Briggs.
He's young, just coming into his own IMO, has shown gradual improvement every year
that he's been in the league, and has great size and length for a SG.
Agreed....he's be high on my free agent radar.
Also, I like the Hornacek signing. He's a player's coach.

"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships." -Michael Jordan
callmened

5/29/2016  2:09 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/30/2016  1:07 PM
Malik newman is returning to school to transfer. Wtf
Knicks should be improved: win about 40 games and maybe sneak into the playoffs. Melo, Rose and even Noah will have some nice moments however this team should be about PORZINGUS. the sooner they make him the primary player, the better
wh4t
Member: #6039
USA
6/5/2016  10:13 AM    LAST EDITED: 6/5/2016  10:20 AM
wh4t wrote:
wh4t wrote:I wonder if phil kept an eye on Isaiah Whitehead. He's very slept on and could possibly slip to the 2nd round.

edit: never mind, he probably doesn't fit in phil's eyes. I think Isa could be a steal though.

combo guard
height w/o shoes 6' 3.25' height with shoes 6' 4.5'' standing reach 8' 4'' weight 210 wingspan 6' 8.75''

https://www.sny.tv/college-recruiting/news/seton-halls-isaiah-whitehead-100-percent-gone-with-first-round-guarantee/177765580

Isaiah Whitehead hasn't formally signed with an agent, but the Seton Hall sophomore guard says he's "100 percent" gone if he gets a promise to be chosen in the first round of next month's NBA Draft.

"Oh yeah, 100 percent," Whitehead said Thursday at the NBA Draft Combine after going for 13 points on 6-for-8 shooting with 5 assists, 3 rebounds and no turnovers in a 109-69 victory. "You can't give up opportunities like that. I mean, when they tell you it's time to go, you just gotta go."

He added to SNY.tv: "And anybody at Seton Hall would have to agree with me. When they tell you that you're a first-round pick, you can't turn that down."

The Brooklyn native is currently projected as the No. 65 best prospect in 2016 by DraftExpress.com, and as the No. 35 pick in 2017, but he's hoping to impress here at the Combine.

Isaiah Whitehead has several fans in the Knicks organization, including star forward Carmelo Anthony. Whitehead has worked out with Anthony at the Knicks star's Terminal 23 gym in Manhattan. Anthony came away from the workouts impressed with the Seton Hall guard, according to people in the gym. Whitehead also worked out for the Knicks on Saturday at their training facility in Tarrytown. At 6-5, Whitehead has the kind of size that Phil Jackson coveted in his backcourt during his coaching days with the Chicago Bulls and Los Angeles Lakers. Oftentimes, the Knicks have to consider how a potential prospect will handle life in New York. That doesn't seem like it would be an issue for Whitehead. The 21-year-old thrived at Coney Island's Lincoln High School, winning a city championship at Madison Square Garden; he also was named MVP of the 2016 Big East Tournament at MSG, helping Seton Hall stun eventual national champion Villanova in the title game. By all accounts, Whitehead is well-mannered and well-liked by teammates. The Knicks, who plan to acquire a draft pick, may have to trade to a spot in the late first round to land Whitehead.

KNICKSBIGCATS

6/7/2016  7:59 AM
Briggs,
How about Malcolm Brogdon to the Knicks?
He can do everything that Evan Turner can plus play elite defense and shoot better too. As a 4th ball handler/wing he will actually be worth his extended rookie contract and is NBA ready for this role at a bargain price. IMHO he might be better in the long run than Denzel Valentine who has a similar, but statistically better, offensive game without the proven commitment to defense. However, though good, Brogdon’s offensive stats were somewhat suppressed by Virginia’s defensive style of play that spread the ball around offensively mostly in the half court. Brogdon ran effectively when those opportunities arose and could create his own shot as shot clocks expired. He outplayed just about all the college guards who are projected to be picked ahead of him in most mock drafts.

If there is a run on high upside guys that might be targeted later in the first round, Brogdon might get picked that soon but, if the Knicks are lucky, he could likely be there in the 31-35 range.
Your thoughts?
KBC

callmened

6/7/2016  9:42 AM
KNICKSBIGCATS wrote:Briggs,
He can do everything that Evan Turner can plus play elite defense and shoot better too. As a 4th ball handler/wing he will actually be worth his extended rookie contract and is NBA ready for this role at a bargain price. IMHO he might be better in the long run than Denzel Valentine who has a similar, but statistically better, offensive game without the proven commitment to defense. However, though good, Brogdon’s offensive stats were somewhat suppressed by Virginia’s defensive style of play that spread the ball around offensively mostly in the half court. Brogdon ran effectively when those opportunities arose and could create his own shot as shot clocks expired. He outplayed just about all the college guards who are projected to be picked ahead of him in most mock drafts.

If there is a run on high upside guys that might be targeted later in the first round, Brogdon might get picked that soon but, if the Knicks are lucky, he could likely be there in the 31-35 range.
Your thoughts?
KBC

is BRIGGS the expert on the draft? lol.

BRIGGS
6/7/2016  4:11 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/7/2016  4:15 PM

Your thoughts?
KBC

I have him # 20 on my list so grabbing him at 31-35 would be a nice get. I agree with you--guys on Virginia have muffled stats. He has a great body and really he was a star player on a really great team who was consistent all year. He has a lot of things that teams like--Id be surprised if he was sitting at 31. The only reason hes at 30+ is age which I dont always agree with. I cant imagine any Knick fan unhappy there--that would be an awesome choice.

RIP Crushalot😞
KNICKSBIGCATS

6/7/2016  4:37 PM
callmened wrote:

Your thoughts?
KBC

Just having a conversation with someone whose opinion I value, ned.
No reason to get your panties in a bunch.
Peaceout.

KNICKSBIGCATS

6/7/2016  5:23 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/7/2016  5:48 PM
Briggs,
Really, you can have everything else....just give me LUCK.
Most of the GMs and scouts in the NBA are experienced and experts in this business. They look at tape, they measure players, time them, watch and conduct workouts, and interview them. Most of these guys have played in the league.... they aren’t stupid. The superstars stand out, for the most part, you and I can pick them – Magic, Bird, Shaq, MJ, Lebron, KD, AD etc, etc, etc. But how does a short, pudgy guy become a Star (Draymond Green) or a guy who averaged 12-15 pts in college become a 20+ per game All-Star in the NBA – Jimmy Butler. I think, some of it is just luck, you stick to your standards and if you follow them and sometimes you just get lucky. Once you get past the first few picks, everyone is looking for the Draymond Greens and Jimmy Butlers, but they are just hard to find. The Knicks got LUCKY last year with KP.....can lightning strike two years in a row? Mostly, it's just a tough road to hoe.
KBC
mreinman
Member: #3189

6/7/2016  6:13 PM
callmened wrote:

Your thoughts?
KBC

if you base it on volume posting then definitely yes!

if you base it on success rate, he makes it impossible to rate him since he picks and posts about a million players.

He also speaks in certainties and then changes his opinion based on who is hot and who is getting props at the end.

"Ok4 will be the next tim duncan - fact. Tell me someone in the NBA who can stop him?"

"Towns does not rise to the occasion and comes up short in big games" then before the draft "Towns will be the most unstopable player in the NBA, who can shoot like that?"

"Porzingis will be a bust! fact!" .... "Porzingis is great, so glad that I called it"

Kaminsky, Alex Len, Kelly Olynyk, Walters, Fredette, Thabeet, ...............................

He has hit on some too I'm sure but how can any of this be quantified? With every draft guru, you can go back and see how well they've done and what their track record is.

Not just the draft, Zach Levine will definitely be the next big NBA superstar, ROLO SUCKS, ROLO SUCKS, Monroe 100x better than Rolo, rolo sucks, Kanter is a super max, kanter kanter kanter, etc ...

So overall, since I have been here he has been almost always wrong but I at least agree with his premise this off season ... we need shooters and the NBA today is about 3 point shooting. He did hate almost every three that KP shot last year so I am still not sure where he fully stands with 3's. Should only non bigs be allowed to shoot them? Are bigs only allowed 1-2 attempts a game even if they can shoot from the tunnel?

Briggs does not really address any questions about his picks other than "Briggs, tell me about x ..." so its hard to qualify his position.

All that being said, I still enjoy his posts and his bold balsy predictions.

so here is what phil is thinking ....
callmened

6/7/2016  8:14 PM
right now he has a hard on for valentine. the last time he was so in love with a player was the immortal Nate Wolters.

i appreciate BRIGGS enthusiasm and love for the game. Its not a knock on him. hes bold enough to declare how players will work out. I have no idea what the future holds with draft picks. the NCAA game is way different from the NBA game. plus these kids only stay for 1 yr. alot of success depends on intangible factors like: mentors, motivation, team system etc.

BRIGGS
6/8/2016  9:50 AM
mreinman wrote:
callmened wrote:

Your thoughts?
KBC

if you base it on volume posting then definitely yes!

if you base it on success rate, he makes it impossible to rate him since he picks and posts about a million players.

He also speaks in certainties and then changes his opinion based on who is hot and who is getting props at the end.

"Ok4 will be the next tim duncan - fact. Tell me someone in the NBA who can stop him?"

"Towns does not rise to the occasion and comes up short in big games" then before the draft "Towns will be the most unstopable player in the NBA, who can shoot like that?"

"Porzingis will be a bust! fact!" .... "Porzingis is great, so glad that I called it"

Kaminsky, Alex Len, Kelly Olynyk, Walters, Fredette, Thabeet, ...............................

He has hit on some too I'm sure but how can any of this be quantified? With every draft guru, you can go back and see how well they've done and what their track record is.

Not just the draft, Zach Levine will definitely be the next big NBA superstar, ROLO SUCKS, ROLO SUCKS, Monroe 100x better than Rolo, rolo sucks, Kanter is a super max, kanter kanter kanter, etc ...

So overall, since I have been here he has been almost always wrong but I at least agree with his premise this off season ... we need shooters and the NBA today is about 3 point shooting. He did hate almost every three that KP shot last year so I am still not sure where he fully stands with 3's. Should only non bigs be allowed to shoot them? Are bigs only allowed 1-2 attempts a game even if they can shoot from the tunnel?

Briggs does not really address any questions about his picks other than "Briggs, tell me about x ..." so its hard to qualify his position.

All that being said, I still enjoy his posts and his bold balsy predictions.

Its pretty simple where I stand. I finish a mock before the draft. I dont change it after like Chad ford lol! If you notice Ive been pretty stead fast on some guys i Like--I do that every year. Last year my final picks were rd #1 KP rd#2 Norman Powell Joe Young and I also liked Josh Richardson---not bad? Its ok to decide on changing on a guy from 4-8 or from 20-30 or just becoming turned off--it happens. I liked Bazemore then I watched the playoffs where i got to see him 6 games in a row and think hes not good for us. Like Knicks said this is not a perfect science and involves a little divine intervention past pick 5. But how many people on this site even start threads or know players--not many. I dont like every player I mention--the players I like I will say it. Just look at my mock--simple as that.

RIP Crushalot😞
BRIGGS
6/9/2016  1:42 PM

Your thoughts?
KBC

Valentine down to 23+ 22 in the mocks. Instead of paying player in free agency so much money--why dont we set our sights on getting 2-3 good players at the end of rd 1 early 2 like Valentine Brogdon or Barber and see if Forbes and Jones fall out of the draft and sign them to a camp deal to play at Westchester next year? KBC how about a 2019 top 3 RESTRICTED only to Philly for picks 24 and 26 IF both players are there? Brogdon and Valentine would be a coup.

RIP Crushalot😞
KNICKSBIGCATS

6/9/2016  11:32 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/10/2016  12:06 AM
We are pretty much on the same page here, BRIGGS.
Who cares about being NBA-ready? If a team wants immediate contributions, then there are plenty of free agents out there to fill their needs. In free agency, I'd come out swinging. I'd look to grab second and third tier guys who can 3 and D. Secondly, I'd prioritize rebounders and wings. Sign them to shorter contracts and even overpay a bit if you have to. And, here's the KEY....KEEP CAP SPACE FOR 2017.
Regarding your trade suggestion, to me, you make a draft pick with both a 4-year plan and a decade plan. The best approach is to go for a guy that you feel you can establish his value before he hits restricted free agency. Then you complete the plan to build the team with or around him. So drafting someone like a Buddy Hield, for instance, because you want his shooting to help a team make a finals run in the next two seasons is both unrealistic and unnecessary. They would be better off overpaying a shooter for 3 years and drafting a project that can pay major dividends at the end of that period.
I see both Valentine and Brogden as high end role players who fit with this line of thinking.
I regard this draft as flat from picks 3-30. What would I look to do?
I'd buy a late first and an early second round pick and hope that guys with upside who fit the system like these two fall into our laps. High IQ guys to the front of the line.

BTW, great thread, great topic and congratulations on the 10,000 views, Briggs.

BRIGGS
6/10/2016  4:10 AM
KNICKSBIGCATS wrote:We are pretty much on the same page here, BRIGGS.
Who cares about being NBA-ready? If a team wants immediate contributions, then there are plenty of free agents out there to fill their needs. In free agency, I'd come out swinging. I'd look to grab second and third tier guys who can 3 and D. Secondly, I'd prioritize rebounders and wings. Sign them to shorter contracts and even overpay a bit if you have to. And, here's the KEY....KEEP CAP SPACE FOR 2017.
Regarding your trade suggestion, to me, you make a draft pick with both a 4-year plan and a decade plan. The best approach is to go for a guy that you feel you can establish his value before he hits restricted free agency. Then you complete the plan to build the team with or around him. So drafting someone like a Buddy Hield, for instance, because you want his shooting to help a team make a finals run in the next two seasons is both unrealistic and unnecessary. They would be better off overpaying a shooter for 3 years and drafting a project that can pay major dividends at the end of that period.
I see both Valentine and Brogden as high end role players who fit with this line of thinking.
I regard this draft as flat from picks 3-30. What would I look to do?
I'd buy a late first and an early second round pick and hope that guys with upside who fit the system like these two fall into our laps. High IQ guys to the front of the line.

BTW, great thread, great topic and congratulations on the 10,000 views, Briggs.

I think this draft will surprise a few years down the line. It might not be as top heavy as last year but its got much more depth. I predict we will see some really really good players coming out of rd #2 this year--while last year the depth stopped about 30 deep. I dont like to think it takes players four years--I dont believe in that much at all(maybe to come close to a peak?). You should be able to play some now--show signs or better. Last year you had pick #40 in Miamis starting 9 EOY Bobby Portis at 22 looks like a very promising player. Well have to see how good players are but my take is you look at the depth and then the odds of the depth producing some really good players--I think its likely. You have the two guys at top so to speak but we will see if guys like Hield Murray and a bunch of different names might be better than people think. Its going to be interesting and some teams will hit gold mines.

RIP Crushalot😞
KNICKSBIGCATS

6/10/2016  3:17 PM
I agree about this draft having depth, BRIGGS.
I'll mention a very good high end role player like BENTIL in this draft who could turn out to be a much better version of Draymond Greene IMHO. Why? Because he can also be a go to scorer and at the same time a high end role player. He's a big that can defend all positions, can rebound and protect the rim, definitely not a bust nor a D-League bound rookie, he can immediately be put into the rotation. Other players I like are Uthoff, Siakam, and Bolomboy. Take note that all four are predicted to be second rounders.
mreinman
Member: #3189

6/10/2016  3:53 PM
KNICKSBIGCATS wrote:I agree about this draft having depth, BRIGGS.
I'll mention a very good high end role player like BENTIL in this draft who could turn out to be a much better version of Draymond Greene IMHO. Why? Because he can also be a go to scorer and at the same time a high end role player. He's a big that can defend all positions, can rebound and protect the rim, definitely not a bust nor a D-League bound rookie, he can immediately be put into the rotation. Other players I like are Uthoff, Siakam, and Bolomboy. Take note that all four are predicted to be second rounders.

much better version of one of the best and most unique players in the nba? and one of the top two defenders in the league?

so here is what phil is thinking ....
College basketball thread

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy