Alba Posts: 0
Member: #4451

10/10/2015  12:35 AM
nixluva wrote:
holfresh wrote:
nixluva wrote:
holfresh wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:
TPercy wrote:Just got back from the Verizon Center, very good game to watch.

Carmelo ANthony played a very good game, made some good passes, kept the ball moving and had a quite good night.

I can't believe I am saying this but what a cracking game from Derrick WIlliams!!! Had a great shooting outing and kept us in the game.

Porzingis had some bad moments but he rebounded really well and had some great offensive plays. I agree with blkexec, His defensive awareness is very suspect but he is a great 1 on 1 defender which is great to see. He needs to get more comfortable with the ball.

I thought Jose Calderon was going to get decimated out there by Wall and Beal but he held his own out there tonight.

I know it is just preseason and it isn't something to look to into, but the signs were very good to see!

He thinks like a center on D, IMO. He's looking inside too much...this is a teachable issue. In SL he was much more comfortable on D at the 5.

Looked great against some smaller guys when he had to guard them...I was surprised.

We seem to be packing it in too much on D, IMO.

They are cheating on defense..They are backing off the outside shooter because they were being blown by in the last game...O'Quinn was doing a DLee and just standing under the basket for the rebound and his guy was always open for the jumper..When the second unit came in he didn't have to move because their big had no jumper..

Well at least KP wasn't out of shape tonight! He got his conditioning fixed all in one day off. He's amazing!

Knicks aren't perfect but they seem to be developing a bend but don't break defense. If they can continue to develop more chemistry on D they can be pretty good. They have a lot of defensive potential.

What game were you watching..

The one where our team won despite not being anywhere close to mid season form. The Wiz are trying to run a high pace, high scoring offense this year. The Knicks got a big lead and even after the Wiz went on a run they got their act together and pulled away again. Those breakdowns and mistakes should reduce as the Knicks get better.

In the end this wasn't some scrub team they were playing. The Wiz do have some talent and they've been together for a bit. You can't piss on what the Knicks are doing when it's a new team with a lot of young players too. At least try to have some perspective about where the team is at this stage. It's super early in the process of them coming together. They've got a lot more work today but you can see some signs of what they could be.

Nix, you get offended if knick fans point out any type of weakness of the knicks. It doesnt make them bad fans...it actually shows they care more by being honest and hope they improve because they want them to WIN
AUTOADVERT
KEEPCAMBYNY
Member: #86
USA
10/10/2015  2:29 AM
TPercy wrote:Did anyone notice Melo trying hard on defense this game? or was it just me?

Well that is what happens when your teammates have an actual jumpshot and can actually hit wide open jumpers. All of sudden you dont have to work so hard on offense and you actually have energy left to play defense. This is what we told the Melo haters time and time again but they didnt want to hear it. You guys really think Melo liked burning himself out by playing "iso Melo" ball? You don't think he prefers to play the way he did last night? He played like Olympic Melo for the most part with a bunch of catch and shoot shots. But when you have Shumpert to your right and Felton to your left bricking up shot after shot, the choice to just do it yourself becomes obvious. Why is that so damn hard for people to see?

I bleed orange and blue for life.
dk7th
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #4228
USA
10/10/2015  2:51 AM
KEEPCAMBYNY wrote:
TPercy wrote:Did anyone notice Melo trying hard on defense this game? or was it just me?

Well that is what happens when your teammates have an actual jumpshot and can actually hit wide open jumpers. All of sudden you dont have to work so hard on offense and you actually have energy left to play defense. This is what we told the Melo haters time and time again but they didnt want to hear it. You guys really think Melo liked burning himself out by playing "iso Melo" ball? You don't think he prefers to play the way he did last night? He played like Olympic Melo for the most part with a bunch of catch and shoot shots. But when you have Shumpert to your right and Felton to your left bricking up shot after shot, the choice to just do it yourself becomes obvious. Why is that so damn hard for people to see?

so... what you're saying is: system ball works?

knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
10/10/2015  8:43 AM
Haven't watched the game yet, was at work but got it recorded. Slightly upset that KP wasn't able to get his first career double double.
https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
10/10/2015  8:46 AM
good game... we have a lot of strong bodies. People around here that dump on guys like Sasha and Calderon strike me as folks who have never played organized sports at at least an amateur level and fail to see the value that on the field/court wisdom brings to the whole team. Most would rather just replace these guys with young bucks with more upside. These guys both know how to play, and make it easier for the coach. Yea.. they aren't going to defend like Gary Payton, but they wont lose their man either and they will make smart decisions.

Starting those two makes a lot of sense. I suspect when AA comes back Sasha simply sits and Grant/Galloway continue their bench roles. Calderon is probably a 24mpg "starter." Sasha is probably 20mpg with Grant and Galloway getting equal or + minutes. If one of those guys is off the older guys can step up. When the kids are hot ride em all the way home. Also Calderon/Sasha/Grant/Gallo offer a variety of solid 3-guard lineups depending on defense, shooting, ball handling, etc..

We look really good up front. KOQ is a bit slow footed but he's very long and you can see how and why he's been a good shot blocker. Elton Brand like... doesn't have to move much, just has quick hand and a LONG reach.

KP's hands stink... will see how that plays out but he looked a ton better. Totally outplayed Mr Kardashian

Melo looks like he's having fun. Looks in great shape and has the kind of guys he needs around him to be most effective. Hopefully we can manage his minutes but you have to love what you see so far from the golden mooby

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
StarksEwing1

10/10/2015  9:08 AM
fishmike wrote:good game... we have a lot of strong bodies. People around here that dump on guys like Sasha and Calderon strike me as folks who have never played organized sports at at least an amateur level and fail to see the value that on the field/court wisdom brings to the whole team. Most would rather just replace these guys with young bucks with more upside. These guys both know how to play, and make it easier for the coach. Yea.. they aren't going to defend like Gary Payton, but they wont lose their man either and they will make smart decisions.

Starting those two makes a lot of sense. I suspect when AA comes back Sasha simply sits and Grant/Galloway continue their bench roles. Calderon is probably a 24mpg "starter." Sasha is probably 20mpg with Grant and Galloway getting equal or + minutes. If one of those guys is off the older guys can step up. When the kids are hot ride em all the way home. Also Calderon/Sasha/Grant/Gallo offer a variety of solid 3-guard lineups depending on defense, shooting, ball handling, etc..

We look really good up front. KOQ is a bit slow footed but he's very long and you can see how and why he's been a good shot blocker. Elton Brand like... doesn't have to move much, just has quick hand and a LONG reach.

KP's hands stink... will see how that plays out but he looked a ton better. Totally outplayed Mr Kardashian

Melo looks like he's having fun. Looks in great shape and has the kind of guys he needs around him to be most effective. Hopefully we can manage his minutes but you have to love what you see so far from the golden mooby

i like this team. I still feel we are a year and another big piece away but i think this should be a good year in terms of taking a big step
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
10/10/2015  9:45 AM
I am pretty sure if I knew less about Derrick Williams I would be raving about him. He might even have an appreciation thread.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
10/10/2015  10:33 AM
CrushAlot wrote:I am pretty sure if I knew less about Derrick Williams I would be raving about him. He might even have an appreciation thread.
he's got a role here which fits his skill set... score attack score and attack. If he plays any defense at all he wins the SF minutes when Melo is on the floor, and hopefully his play gets Melo plenty of rest.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
TPercy
Member: #5748

10/10/2015  10:57 AM
KEEPCAMBYNY wrote:

Well, I won't say that the major reason why he hasn't been at his high is because of the dudes around him, but I will say that the signs I am seeing seems to be pointing to a new Melo. Hopefully he can keep this up in regular season EVEN when our players are playing poorly.
The Future is Bright!
newyorker4ever
Member: #5816

10/10/2015  11:13 AM
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Clean wrote:I like this Knicks team. We have some important pieces that were missing for many years. We have some players who can and will drive to the hoop. We have some good passers. We have good defenders and we have good shooters. I don't know how many games we will win but this is a team I can watch every game.

Yeah watchable, that would be a big improvement.

This team is more than just watchable IMO. I've been saying this team has the kind of talent that should allow them to be a playoff team if they give full effort. It's a deep team in terms of quality players. It's a hard working team that has a tough disposition and not the same soft team we saw last year. That's going to go a long way to being competitive on most nights. The team is much smarter too. If Melo stays healthy this is a playoff team IMO.

I made a passing comment about the team being unwatchable in the past, dont try to turn that into my playoff prediction for the Knicks because I have said that they have the talent to get there. You are making it hard for me to continue responding to your posts. This superfan stuff is wearing thin.

I didn't F'n attack you or say something nasty to you!!! I made a statement. You don't have to like me. I'm just stating what I felt and I'm not a mind reader!!! Perhaps you missed all the negative ISH that has been spewed around here all summer. So forgive me for seeing a somewhat negative statement and responding. Just being "watchable" isn't a ringing endorsement. Would you consider that a complement if someone said that about you? If you like the team great. I'm just stating what i've been saying all summer so you should be used to it by now. No harm. No foul.

Yeah me and Nix are two of the few on here that backed just about everything Phil did with this team over the summer and took a lot of heat for it on here.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
10/10/2015  11:31 AM    LAST EDITED: 10/10/2015  11:33 AM
newyorker4ever wrote:
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Clean wrote:I like this Knicks team. We have some important pieces that were missing for many years. We have some players who can and will drive to the hoop. We have some good passers. We have good defenders and we have good shooters. I don't know how many games we will win but this is a team I can watch every game.

This team is more than just watchable IMO. I've been saying this team has the kind of talent that should allow them to be a playoff team if they give full effort. It's a deep team in terms of quality players. It's a hard working team that has a tough disposition and not the same soft team we saw last year. That's going to go a long way to being competitive on most nights. The team is much smarter too. If Melo stays healthy this is a playoff team IMO.

I made a passing comment about the team being unwatchable in the past, dont try to turn that into my playoff prediction for the Knicks because I have said that they have the talent to get there. You are making it hard for me to continue responding to your posts. This superfan stuff is wearing thin.

I didn't F'n attack you or say something nasty to you!!! I made a statement. You don't have to like me. I'm just stating what I felt and I'm not a mind reader!!! Perhaps you missed all the negative ISH that has been spewed around here all summer. So forgive me for seeing a somewhat negative statement and responding. Just being "watchable" isn't a ringing endorsement. Would you consider that a complement if someone said that about you? If you like the team great. I'm just stating what i've been saying all summer so you should be used to it by now. No harm. No foul.

Yeah me and Nix are two of the few on here that backed just about everything Phil did with this team over the summer and took a lot of heat for it on here.

Except Nix backed ever move we made made during the 37 & 17 win seasons as well lol

Hey nothing wrong with being the die in the wool optimist lol

KEEPCAMBYNY
USA
10/10/2015  12:23 PM
dk7th wrote:
KEEPCAMBYNY wrote:

No. I'm saying system ball works if you have the players to make it work.

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
10/10/2015  1:29 PM
gunsnewing wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Except Nix backed ever move we made made during the 37 & 17 win seasons as well lol

I wasn't wrong the 3 years before the last 2 but no one remembers. The funny thing is that I do express displeasure at things or point out areas the team or players need to improve but no one notices those. It's always been that way because I'm usually the main one defending against negative stuff.

I always give a rationale for any positive position I take and contrary to what is said I'm not always wrong. Also factors do come up that impact how things go like injuries or off court issues.
I base my position on knowable factors and not random stuff like a guy breaking up with his wife and charged with gun possession.

Ive been high on this team based on their talents and fit for this system. I can't predict if someone will have an ugly breakup or death in the family. Simply based on the skills and BB IQ I like this team's potential.

dk7th
Member: #4228
USA
10/10/2015  1:32 PM
KEEPCAMBYNY wrote:
dk7th wrote:
KEEPCAMBYNY wrote:

so you are optimistic about the team for this season? how many wins? a range will do.

knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
StarksEwing1

10/10/2015  2:09 PM
gunsnewing wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

very true. I remember he said bargnani would be a force....lol
KEEPCAMBYNY
USA
10/11/2015  12:13 PM
dk7th wrote:
KEEPCAMBYNY wrote:
dk7th wrote:
KEEPCAMBYNY wrote:

so you are optimistic about the team for this season? how many wins? a range will do.

I can't say yet, its too early, I need to see more of the defense first, plus need to see Afflalo out there too.

ScoreBot
10/11/2015  2:56 PM
FINAL
WAS 104 NYK 115
Game Thread: NYK vs WAS

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy