fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
10/8/2015  2:57 PM
Panos wrote:
fishmike wrote:
ChuckBuck wrote:
fishmike wrote:why do you feel the Knicks are in bed with this guy?

15mill over 2 years is why. Hopefully they can part ways sooner than later and get the Grant train going.

if we signed him I would agree. He was the cost of dumping Felton at the time. One more year after this one. Not a killer. He's there to be stable, facilitate and hit 3s. If he's not doing that the younger guys will get burn

Felton had a smaller contract in both money and years. How was that a dump?

Because Felton was useless and Calderon was coming off starting for a 50 win team and played very well.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
AUTOADVERT
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
10/8/2015  3:03 PM
fishmike wrote:
Panos wrote:
fishmike wrote:
ChuckBuck wrote:

15mill over 2 years is why. Hopefully they can part ways sooner than later and get the Grant train going.

if we signed him I would agree. He was the cost of dumping Felton at the time. One more year after this one. Not a killer. He's there to be stable, facilitate and hit 3s. If he's not doing that the younger guys will get burn

Because Felton was useless and Calderon was coming off starting for a 50 win team and played very well.

Kniks would be a contender if not for that deal?

Nope.

fishmike
Member: #298
USA
10/8/2015  3:12 PM
Nalod wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Panos wrote:
fishmike wrote:
ChuckBuck wrote:

Nope.

Not a good trade, not crippling either. In his haste to clear out malcontents he probably took the first deal and hoped some of the prospects would pop. Much better offseason this year.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
yellowboy90
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #3538

10/8/2015  3:41 PM
I know people like to think of non-NBA teams as scrubs but I believe they just beat Real Madrid in late September.
knicks1248
Member: #582
10/8/2015  3:49 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:Ive been saying it for 9 months. He's the Achilles heal here. Ill take my chances with Langston Grant Affalo

Over react much?? It's the first game of Oct and a game that means nothing against players that won't ever be in the NBA. The guy hasn't played in a game in over a year. Calderon will be used sparingly and to run the team like a true PG does when he's on the floor. His stats won't matter cause it's his brain he'll be using when he's on the floor like a true PG does. How's a guy that won't even be used too much and when is used it will only be to run the offense going to kill this team?? GEESH.

Having Jose Calderon start the game for us will set the table to be a net negative on defense every game. That is a big deal

your determining this off 1 preseason game, or last yrs injured riddle season

ES
yellowboy90
Member: #3538

10/8/2015  3:55 PM
yellowboy90 wrote:I know people like to think of non-NBA teams as scrubs but I believe they just beat Real Madrid in late September.

Real Madrid is giving the Celtics fits right now, down only 3. So seeing Calderon "struggle" in his first preseason game is not that big to me.

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
10/8/2015  4:05 PM
yellowboy90 wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:I know people like to think of non-NBA teams as scrubs but I believe they just beat Real Madrid in late September.

Real Madrid is giving the Celtics fits right now, down only 3. So seeing Calderon "struggle" in his first preseason game is not that big to me.

Some people don't respect these Euro teams but they aren't scrubs. They are Pros and do know how to play fundamental basketball. If you aren't ready they will beat you.

The Knicks team of late last year may not have won that game last night IMO. This team is better IMO. Even if some of that talent is young and unproven in the NBA, they do have talent none the less. How good was our bench last year compared to this year? I don't think last year's bench would've come in and been as good as the players we have now. That's progress.

mreinman
Member: #3189

10/8/2015  4:10 PM
yellowboy90 wrote:

one game is not that important. The fact that this one game looked like he looked the whole last season is the problem.

so here is what phil is thinking ....
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
10/8/2015  4:30 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/8/2015  4:30 PM
fishmike wrote:
Nalod wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Panos wrote:
fishmike wrote:
ChuckBuck wrote:

Nope.

Not a good trade, not crippling either. In his haste to clear out malcontents he probably took the first deal and hoped some of the prospects would pop. Much better offseason this year.

The assumption is Tyson could have yielded more.

If Clearanthony clearly clarifies clairvoyant class clamoring consistent cuts conforming to triangle, we'll think of the trade differently.

My hope is he can replace Affalo with yootful legs with relief to our cap next season. If not, 7 million calderone eats is not the end of the world.

blkexec
Member: #748
10/8/2015  5:01 PM
mreinman wrote:
ChuckBuck wrote:For once, I agree with Briggs.

I thought we could bide some time, but the way he moved out there, reminded me of folks at a retirement home.

Dude's just toast, shot, done, ghost, RIP, arriverderci, AUDI 5000, peace see ya later. He will dig the Knicks into infinite first quarter holes with his lack of penetration and lack of anything remotely resembling defense.

If he can't look even adequate against Bauru Brazil, how will he look against NBA comp.

thats like agreeing to a guy saying that Phil Jackson is a white guy.

I didn't know there were white guys. Also, there are studies where people try to predict a person's race based on color and are totally wrong. DNA tells it all and it would surprise most people. Now a days, it's very hard to clasify somebody strickly based on outside appearance. I personally know someone from Africa that could be a relative of Phil. Looks like his brother. True story! I actually sat next to him at a poker table. Was shocked when he told me.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
blkexec
10/8/2015  5:04 PM
Nalod wrote:FIrst game he played in since March. Relax.
If he sux he sits. If coaches think he can get better with more time, he'll play.

Thats my worry. I think if he sux, he plays. I don't understand the coaching staff. Whenever you think they should do something, they don't.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
mreinman

10/8/2015  5:05 PM
blkexec wrote:
mreinman wrote:
ChuckBuck wrote:For once, I agree with Briggs.

I thought we could bide some time, but the way he moved out there, reminded me of folks at a retirement home.

Dude's just toast, shot, done, ghost, RIP, arriverderci, AUDI 5000, peace see ya later. He will dig the Knicks into infinite first quarter holes with his lack of penetration and lack of anything remotely resembling defense.

If he can't look even adequate against Bauru Brazil, how will he look against NBA comp.

thats like agreeing to a guy saying that Phil Jackson is a white guy.

I didn't know there were white guys. Also, there are studies where people try to predict a person's race based on color and are totally wrong. DNA tells it all and it would surprise most people. Now a days, it's very hard to clasify somebody strickly based on outside appearance. I personally know someone from Africa that could be a relative of Phil. Looks like his brother. True story! I actually sat next to him at a poker table. Was shocked when he told me.

sure ... I had a jewish buddy that I met in Israel that was from Africa. How he ended up there was another story :-)

I can tell a jew from a mile away.

blkexec
10/8/2015  5:07 PM
nixluva wrote:
Nalod wrote:
Rookie wrote:
Nalod wrote:FIrst game he played in since March. Relax.
If he sux he sits. If coaches think he can get better with more time, he'll play.

Not worried, he'll be injured again by the regular season so, nothing to worry about

WE have a rookie groomed to take his place. Im not losing sleep.

Yeah it's only a matter of time. Grant and Gallo or G2 as someone coined them, looked great. That's a great sign for this team. We need them to keeps this up and they will eventually take over the minutes at guard.

Imagine the traps those two guys will have. And the turnovers. I like that backcourt. Especially in todays small ball lineups, where teams are starting 2 PGs. At least Grant has legit SG height. And Gallo has the strength to guard both positions.

holfresh
Member: #1081

10/8/2015  7:00 PM
earthmansurfer wrote:
holfresh wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:Surprised that he did not come to the pre-season in better shape- the best shape of his life, in fact.

You have the young kid, KP, probably going too hard to get in shape and impress, and you have the old vet who, instead of coming into camp in great shape to give and old dog an edge, seems like he is going to use pre-season to play himself into shape. They also talked about Galloway adding some muscle, even though he already had a good body for his position, IMO.

Big difference, IMO. Being 100% OK to go is one thing...being in superior physical condition is an entirely different situation, and I saw no indication of any kind of attention to re-sculpting his body. You looked at one of the older guys on the team we played yesterday- think his name was Garcia- and then you looked at Calderon...told you a lot about dedication, I think.

Don't understand where Calderon is coming from, and what he thinks his role on the team is. With Galloway and Grant on the team, he had to think he was going to be in a fight for playing time...does not seem that he cared, though.

KP is out of shape...I don't understand people talking about he is up at 6:45 and the first one at the gym and he can't play 20 mins of a game??..Same like the Summer league..

Not sure if this is supposed to be green front, but in the event it isn't:
KP has been adding weight. To do that he probably was focusing on the weight room. Then to add weight and come and start playing is a tough thing. The body is not ready for that and it takes time. Luckily it doesn't look like his shot was affected, still wet.

You do realize he has heart and has played 3 years of professional ball? I really don't understand your comment, almost like suddenly you are saying he doesn't care.

He was out of breath at the 17th minute mark..I'm not saying he doesn't care..All the talk about being a gym rat..First and foremost, the number one priority is being in shape..Especially when it was an issue in Summer League..I don't mind him taking time to learn the league but be ready to play..

nixluva
USA
10/8/2015  7:24 PM
holfresh wrote:
earthmansurfer wrote:
holfresh wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:Surprised that he did not come to the pre-season in better shape- the best shape of his life, in fact.

You have the young kid, KP, probably going too hard to get in shape and impress, and you have the old vet who, instead of coming into camp in great shape to give and old dog an edge, seems like he is going to use pre-season to play himself into shape. They also talked about Galloway adding some muscle, even though he already had a good body for his position, IMO.

Big difference, IMO. Being 100% OK to go is one thing...being in superior physical condition is an entirely different situation, and I saw no indication of any kind of attention to re-sculpting his body. You looked at one of the older guys on the team we played yesterday- think his name was Garcia- and then you looked at Calderon...told you a lot about dedication, I think.

Don't understand where Calderon is coming from, and what he thinks his role on the team is. With Galloway and Grant on the team, he had to think he was going to be in a fight for playing time...does not seem that he cared, though.

KP is out of shape...I don't understand people talking about he is up at 6:45 and the first one at the gym and he can't play 20 mins of a game??..Same like the Summer league..

KP has been adding weight. To do that he probably was focusing on the weight room. Then to add weight and come and start playing is a tough thing. The body is not ready for that and it takes time. Luckily it doesn't look like his shot was affected, still wet.

You do realize he has heart and has played 3 years of professional ball? I really don't understand your comment, almost like suddenly you are saying he doesn't care.

He was out of breath at the 17th minute mark..I'm not saying he doesn't care..All the talk about being a gym rat..First and foremost, the number one priority is being in shape..Especially when it was an issue in Summer League..I don't mind him taking time to learn the league but be ready to play..

GEEZ dude, you're too much. There could be an easy answer to why KP was puffing. When you're nervous and anxious adrenaline can make your heart rate go up even more than usual. It's not unusual to gas out because you're overexcited. KP was having to exert himself in live action and he actually stayed in the game for a pretty long stretch. Don't know that he's had to do that in live action, which is different than jus scrimmages. He'll be fine. Now he is going to learn how hard he has to play at this level. I'm sure over the next month he's gonna find out a lot of new things.
holfresh
Member: #1081

10/8/2015  7:35 PM
nixluva wrote:
holfresh wrote:
earthmansurfer wrote:
holfresh wrote:

GEEZ dude, you're too much. There could be an easy answer to why KP was puffing. When you're nervous and anxious adrenaline can make your heart rate go up even more than usual. It's not unusual to gas out because you're overexcited. KP was having to exert himself in live action and he actually stayed in the game for a pretty long stretch. Don't know that he's had to do that in live action, which is different than jus scrimmages. He'll be fine. Now he is going to learn how hard he has to play at this level. I'm sure over the next month he's gonna find out a lot of new things.

This is A level ball now..I don't need the spin from the Knicks camp how great the kid is and how he is the first one at the gym before the coaches..Just be ready to play..He is going to have his advances and set backs but be in shape..Having the same issues now that you had at summer camp is not a good look..
newyorker4ever
Member: #5816

10/8/2015  9:10 PM
nixluva wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:Ive been saying it for 9 months. He's the Achilles heal here. Ill take my chances with Langston Grant Affalo

Over react much?? It's the first game of Oct and a game that means nothing against players that won't ever be in the NBA. The guy hasn't played in a game in over a year. Calderon will be used sparingly and to run the team like a true PG does when he's on the floor. His stats won't matter cause it's his brain he'll be using when he's on the floor like a true PG does. How's a guy that won't even be used too much and when is used it will only be to run the offense going to kill this team?? GEESH.

Having Jose Calderon start the game for us will set the table to be a net negative on defense every game. That is a big deal

IF ...Jose remains the starter, which is yet to be determined whether he will keep the job. It's not that hard to understand that they are still reviewing starting spots and that Jose's spot isn't guaranteed just like KP's isn't guaranteed. Goodness knows that Sasha isn't a lock to stay in the SL.

Well i think their plan is to get Grant adjusted asap and until then it will be Calderon but i see Gallo playing some PG as well. There's more to playing PG than stats which is setting up guys for easy baskets and getting the ball to open guys to get easier shots. Calderon is smart so he'll do a good job while he's on the floor but we all know that he needs help on the defensive end while he's out there and that's something that the other guys on the floor will know.

gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
10/9/2015  8:02 AM
knicks1248 wrote:IDK, phil has a lot of faith in his abilities, and as we all saw, he wouldn't hesitate to get rid of him for a 2nd rounder if it didn't seem to have a positive impact.

I think he's timing is off from not playing that much in the last 12 months, not to mention new teammates I'm willing to give him a thoro look before making any trade, unless someone comes knocking with a "can't miss" trade offer

How do we know Phil has faith I. His abilities now? I'm sure he did when he made the trade but after the way he played last year?

nixluva
USA
10/9/2015  11:58 AM
holfresh wrote:
nixluva wrote:
holfresh wrote:
earthmansurfer wrote:
holfresh wrote:

This is A level ball now..I don't need the spin from the Knicks camp how great the kid is and how he is the first one at the gym before the coaches..Just be ready to play..He is going to have his advances and set backs but be in shape..Having the same issues now that you had at summer camp is not a good look..

You think KP is out of shape and that's why he was a little gassed? Perhaps you don't realize that being full of Anxiety for a prolonged period of time will sap your strength. If your body releases Adrenaline and your all geeked up there will be a crash at some point and you will find yourself fatigued early. It's something that can easily happen to a well trained athlete. It doesn't mean he's not in shape.
mreinman

10/9/2015  12:03 PM
nixluva wrote:
holfresh wrote:
nixluva wrote:
holfresh wrote:
earthmansurfer wrote:
holfresh wrote:

You think KP is out of shape and that's why he was a little gassed? Perhaps you don't realize that being full of Anxiety for a prolonged period of time will sap your strength. If your body releases Adrenaline and your all geeked up there will be a crash at some point and you will find yourself fatigued early. It's something that can easily happen to a well trained athlete. It doesn't mean he's not in shape.

and even if he needs time to adjust, who cares? This is silly.

This guy needs to be good by year 3 or 4. We are worried that he is a bit gassed in game 1 of pre-season? Ridiculous and typical of knick fans impatience.

Calderon is going to kill us

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy