[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Carmelo--perfect NBA 4 man
Author Thread
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
10/6/2015  10:18 PM
I guess moving Paul George to PF can have significant benefits. Thats why every time I make a line up I put Carmelo at 4. Zinger is either a back up 5 or 4==hes not the main guy. In this NBA Carmelo Anthony--like the year we won 54 games--is an impossible match up nightmare at the 4. Putting Carmelo at the 4 with smarter pieces and better defense will help make the team to be much more competitive. From there its how much they can share the ball IN ADDITION to Melo and how good the % are in those other shots.
RIP Crushalot😞
AUTOADVERT
nixluva
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #758
USA
10/6/2015  11:01 PM
BRIGGS wrote:I guess moving Paul George to PF can have significant benefits. Thats why every time I make a line up I put Carmelo at 4. Zinger is either a back up 5 or 4==hes not the main guy. In this NBA Carmelo Anthony--like the year we won 54 games--is an impossible match up nightmare at the 4. Putting Carmelo at the 4 with smarter pieces and better defense will help make the team to be much more competitive. From there its how much they can share the ball IN ADDITION to Melo and how good the % are in those other shots.

I think you're missing the point. The system of offense we play now has literally NOTHING to do with how we played in that 54 win season. This is just not comparable in any way. This is a motion offense!!! It's not a 4 out 1 in, static offense with some PnR. In this system Melo will still get plenty of looks in his most successful spots, but the other players will not be static and posted around the 3 pt line most of the time. Now his teammates will be moving constantly. You have to get out of this mindset of the past cuz we aren't playing like that anymore.

This offense is designed to work with multiple bigs. Legit Centers and PF's. You have post ups at the C, PF and SF spot if you want it. This offense is about getting to the basket a LOT. People wrongly think it's about midrange jumpers when it's really about penetration! Post up Penetration, back cut penetration and give n go penetration at the basket. Of course there will be midrange and 3pt shots as well, but the primary focus is on getting to the basket.

BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
10/6/2015  11:12 PM
nixluva wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:I guess moving Paul George to PF can have significant benefits. Thats why every time I make a line up I put Carmelo at 4. Zinger is either a back up 5 or 4==hes not the main guy. In this NBA Carmelo Anthony--like the year we won 54 games--is an impossible match up nightmare at the 4. Putting Carmelo at the 4 with smarter pieces and better defense will help make the team to be much more competitive. From there its how much they can share the ball IN ADDITION to Melo and how good the % are in those other shots.

I think you're missing the point. The system of offense we play now has literally NOTHING to do with how we played in that 54 win season. This is just not comparable in any way. This is a motion offense!!! It's not a 4 out 1 in, static offense with some PnR. In this system Melo will still get plenty of looks in his most successful spots, but the other players will not be static and posted around the 3 pt line most of the time. Now his teammates will be moving constantly. You have to get out of this mindset of the past cuz we aren't playing like that anymore.

This offense is designed to work with multiple bigs. Legit Centers and PF's. You have post ups at the C, PF and SF spot if you want it. This offense is about getting to the basket a LOT. People wrongly think it's about midrange jumpers when it's really about penetration! Post up Penetration, back cut penetration and give n go penetration at the basket. Of course there will be midrange and 3pt shots as well, but the primary focus is on getting to the basket.

Whatever you say. The team is best with Melo at 4. One thing I can already notice is NBA tempo its faster--it worked last year and its just going to get faster. I dont know if having 2 7 footers at a time will work.

RIP Crushalot😞
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
10/6/2015  11:25 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/7/2015  7:00 AM
Then fire the front office and coach bring back Dantoni
fitzfarm
Member: #3285

10/6/2015  11:51 PM
I'd have to say moving Melo to the 4 is a huge mistake in terms of preserving him through 82 games .. Is he good at the four ?yea.. Injury prone ? You bet ya
mreinman
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3189

10/6/2015  11:52 PM
fitzfarm wrote:I'd have to say moving Melo to the 4 is a huge mistake in terms of preserving him through 82 games .. Is he good at the four ?yea.. Injury prone ? You bet ya

I wish that we could make him our DH.

so here is what phil is thinking ....
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
10/7/2015  12:04 AM
BRIGGS wrote:
nixluva wrote:

Whatever you say. The team is best with Melo at 4. One thing I can already notice is NBA tempo its faster--it worked last year and its just going to get faster. I dont know if having 2 7 footers at a time will work.

We don't have to play at the pace of other teams. The Knicks need to score efficiently at their own pace and get to the FT line and they will effectively slow down other teams that want to play faster than the Knicks pace. This is what Phil did with the Lakers. They were never the faster team pace wise. It's a fallacy to believe that you can't control the pace of the game. You do it with Defense and playing offense at your own pace.

With lots of ball and player movement on offense it will be harder for teams to deal with great size inside. The Knicks will play with enough pace of their own since nothing in the triangle prevents a team from pushing the ball. In fact that is a key part of the offense. You play fast but not too fast. Making quicker decisions, harder cuts and picks, will stop the defense from being able to stop what the Knicks want to do offensively.

franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
10/7/2015  6:45 AM
mreinman wrote:
fitzfarm wrote:I'd have to say moving Melo to the 4 is a huge mistake in terms of preserving him through 82 games .. Is he good at the four ?yea.. Injury prone ? You bet ya

I wish that we could make him our DH.

And it will work if we have a player(s) that can slot in at the 3 who are physical enough to be able to defend the 4 when needed. Melo can be the 4 on offense, and the 'I'll take the weakest offensive threat' defender.

gunsnewing
USA
10/7/2015  6:59 AM
How many championships has Indiana won with Paul George playing the 4? He's not Draymond Green and he doesn't play alongside a Altus like Stephen Curry
Finestrg
Member: #1069

10/7/2015  9:52 AM    LAST EDITED: 10/7/2015  11:00 AM

I tend to agree with you but man, he looked damn good last night against Detroit. Glad he's back--he looks 100%. They're different players but bottom line--P.G. is a better player than Dray Green if he's indeed 100%...I like that Indy team--they lost Hibbert but swapped in what should be a better overall big man eventually in Myles Turner (I didn't think Hibbert looked good at all the other night in that Lakers/Utah game); I like Jordan Hill--he's a steady contributor (nice replacement for David West); George is back and looks great; Monta Ellis & Rodney Stuckey are great #2 & 3 scoring options; they had an 'immediate impact' draft with Turner/Joe Young/Rakeem Christmas and I like a lot of their secondary reserve players (Solomon Hill, Chase Budinger, Lavoy Allen, Ian Mahinmi, Glenn Robinson III has talent). It'll take some time but they have a very nice mix of guards, wings and big men. They're in better shape than we are to be honest. Only thing--they're very dependent on George Hill at the point. He went out with a sprained ankle last night and there's little true PG depth behind him. Looking down the road -- Indy could be a possible landing spot for Jose Calderon in a trade, esp. if anything were to happen to Hill...I wouldn't count out Joe Young developing his PG skills further though. Dude's primarily a scorer but I've seen him show a willingness to set up others as well. He's got more PG skills than Ellis and Stuckey...He really reminds me of Aaron Brooks a lot..

I think a team like Indy has a better chance to keep pace with a team like Golden State than we do -- their guards and wings are flat out better than ours at this point. I think as a team, you play to your strengths--ours looks to be our size up front. And then there's the idea of trying to preserve Melo's health which I tend to agree with. Going up against 4s might take it's toll--while I agree he's at a big skill advantage against most 4s on the offensive end, defensively battling these guys down low game in and game out with the suspect shoulders and knee could be an issue after awhile, esp. when so much is still expected from him offensively. See how it goes but going in, I'm not against going more traditional (legit 5 and 4 or 2 4s flanking Melo).

ChuckBuck
Alba Posts: 11
Member: #3806
USA
10/7/2015  10:05 AM
Melo at the 4 only worked, because we had 2 point guards in the backcourt, and we set a franchise record for 3s that season. Eventually he broke down, sat some games due to the Wests and KG's pounding Melo into submission, then we saw the final outcome in the Indy series.

Forget Melo at the 4, won't work. Traditional lineups worked since the dawn of time. No need to get cute like Golden State, we don't have a Draymond Green or Harrison Barnes or Andre Iguodala that could play multiple positions, defend, pass, and play it all well.

dk7th
Member: #4228
USA
10/7/2015  10:14 AM    LAST EDITED: 10/7/2015  10:14 AM
seems to me that jackson's plan all along was to go big. melo has a lot of miles on his body and his bully ball is just that much more wear and tear. he should make the transition to being more of a catch and shoot type, moving off the ball to an open spot. this requires more stamina than strength and could go a long way to preserving his body and lengthening his career. of course it also means he has to be prepared to be the first or second player back on defense and i am not sure he'd be thrilled about that. either way he should not be playing more than 30 minutes a night if the knicks are serious about building a playoff-ready team.
knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
Finestrg
Member: #1069

10/7/2015  10:15 AM    LAST EDITED: 10/7/2015  10:20 AM
ChuckBuck wrote:Melo at the 4 only worked, because we had 2 point guards in the backcourt, and we set a franchise record for 3s that season. Eventually he broke down, sat some games due to the Wests and KG's pounding Melo into submission, then we saw the final outcome in the Indy series.

Forget Melo at the 4, won't work. Traditional lineups worked since the dawn of time. No need to get cute like Golden State, we don't have a Draymond Green or Harrison Barnes or Andre Iguodala that could play multiple positions, defend, pass, and play it all well.

Can see it both ways but I tend to agree with you...You mentioned Iggy -- now Thanasis obviously isn't on his level yet but in terms of athleticism at the 2/3, overall game, defensive ability/two-way potential at that position etc., I think he resembles Iggy quite a bit. TA is my sleeper this year. I don't think it's unreasonable to think he could develop into a better version of Gerald Wilkins eventually, maybe something close to Andre Iguodala. If that's the case, that's a very useful rotation player for us. They're gonna have to weigh cultivating a player like that vs. whatever they think Sasha Vujacic could give them.

SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

10/7/2015  10:18 AM
BRIGGS wrote:
nixluva wrote:

I agree that Melo is at his best at the 4... the problem is that the Knicks have a bunch of 4/5s and no 3s

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
mreinman

10/7/2015  10:19 AM
Finestrg wrote:
ChuckBuck wrote:Melo at the 4 only worked, because we had 2 point guards in the backcourt, and we set a franchise record for 3s that season. Eventually he broke down, sat some games due to the Wests and KG's pounding Melo into submission, then we saw the final outcome in the Indy series.

Can see it both ways but I tend to agree with you...You mentioned Iggy -- now Thanasis obviously isn't on his level yet but in terms of athleticism at the 2/3, overall game, defensive ability/two-way potential at that position etc., I think he resembles Iggy quite a bit. TA is my sleeper this year. I don't think it's unreasonable to think he could develop into a better version of Gerald Wilkins eventually, maybe something close to Andre Iguodala. If that's the case, that's a very useful rotation player for us.

the kid is an athletic freak! However, he will need much more consistency on his jump shot to be successful.

crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
10/7/2015  10:19 AM

If the 54 win Knicks had some guys like Barnes and Iggy to put alongside Melo and guard guys like Lance Stephenson and Paul George, they could've beaten the Pacers.

I agree with Briggs that Melo is best at the 4. I think Melo at the 4 and Tyson at the 5 was the beginnings of a formula to be very very good. Unfortunately they rarely had any quality guys at the 1, 2, or 3.

¿ △ ?
ChuckBuck
USA
10/7/2015  10:25 AM
Finestrg wrote:

Can see it both ways but I tend to agree with you...You mentioned Iggy -- now Thanasis obviously isn't on his level yet but in terms of athleticism at the 2/3, overall game, defensive ability/two-way potential at that position etc., I think he resembles Iggy quite a bit. TA is my sleeper this year. I don't think it's unreasonable to think he could develop into a better version of Gerald Wilkins eventually, maybe something close to Andre Iguodala. If that's the case, that's a very useful rotation player for us. They're gonna have to weigh developing a player like that vs. whatever they think Sasha Vujacic could give them.

Athletically, Thanasis has the "look" of an Iggy clone. You just can't teach that high BBall IQ, the making the extra pass, the defensive know how to make Lebron take the shots that Iggy wanted and not make Lebron get into rhythm, the veteran professionalism to be shuffled in and out as a starter or as a 6th man and play well either way.

I'm sorry Thanasis maybe called Greek Freak 2, but his younger brother got all the good bball genes in the family already. Same could be said for Seth Curry.

Just phuck the Melo at the 4 bullshyt already. Take one look at the roster construction for one long minute, and what's the first thing that comes to mind...."SIZE". Use that shyt. It's not rocket science, it's common sense.

gunsnewing
USA
10/7/2015  10:26 AM

Does GS even beat Lebron and Cleveland if Kevin Love had played?

ChuckBuck
USA
10/7/2015  10:27 AM
crzymdups wrote:

If the 54 win Knicks had some guys like Barnes and Iggy to put alongside Melo and guard guys like Lance Stephenson and Paul George, they could've beaten the Pacers.

I agree with Briggs that Melo is best at the 4. I think Melo at the 4 and Tyson at the 5 was the beginnings of a formula to be very very good. Unfortunately they rarely had any quality guys at the 1, 2, or 3.

54 win season was a mirage. You had Kidd-Felton or Felton- Prigioni, then you had Smith or Shump at the small. They rained 3s and led the league raining 3s. Once that well dried up, they got exposed.

Melo got West'ed and the rest is history. Let's not revisit bad history.

mreinman

10/7/2015  10:29 AM
gunsnewing wrote:

Does GS even beat Lebron and Cleveland if Kevin Love had played?

maybe not. Love would have given Cleveland the 3 point threat that they so desperately needed. There was really nobody on cleveland that could spread the floor.

what a pity ... it could have been a great series.

cleveland really played ugly basketball while GS was so pretty to watch.

Carmelo--perfect NBA 4 man

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy