[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

2015-16 Other NBA games and League things.......
Author Thread
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
1/26/2016  9:04 AM
Nalod wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:Curry is right up there with Jordan if hes not better. He wont have the longevity Jordan had as Jordan was a bigger more physical athlete but prime to prime they are close as heck.

C'mon now!! I know your a bit impressionable these days to what you see but "right up there" is a bit much. While he has a chip, he on par with Nash, Cousey, Logo, etc. Not on Mt Rushmore quite yet. But I'd say he on the summit with some good names!!!

I agree. Forget about MJ, I don't think he is there yet with Larry Legend and Magic. I would argue that at ALL their primes, Larry Bird was the best of them all. Bird had everything.

AUTOADVERT
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/26/2016  10:25 AM

Not sure Curry is better than Isiah for that matter, and I hate Isiah. Problem is in the era of sluggo ball that Isiah played in his stats are not with Curry, but I know what I saw and while no MVP in that era, the Pistons won back to back and he was their best players. I'd say they are on par with each other.

Big respect to the Warriors and what they are doing but I can't determine if they are great, or the talent is diluted, talent lacks fundmentals and the CBA has given us parity that further waters down the product.
They are healthy, talented and run like no other team!!!

Big props but gotta stay grounded.

crzymdups
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #671
USA
1/26/2016  11:10 AM
The rules now favor PGs to such an extent that I don't think you can compare stats between eras. Steph is certainly one of the best shooters of all-time, certainly the best shooter in the 3pt era by a large margin. By calling him just a shooter doesn't give enough credit to the rest of his game.
¿ △ ?
crzymdups
USA
1/26/2016  11:22 AM
Blake Griffin fractured his hand and is out even longer. He apparently got in a fight with a team equipment staffer...

¿ △ ?
crzymdups
USA
1/26/2016  11:34 AM
¿ △ ?
smackeddog
Member: #883
1/26/2016  11:34 AM
crzymdups wrote:Blake Griffin fractured his hand and is out even longer. He apparently got in a fight with a team equipment staffer...

Yikes

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

1/26/2016  12:18 PM
smackeddog wrote:
crzymdups wrote:Blake Griffin fractured his hand and is out even longer. He apparently got in a fight with a team equipment staffer...

Yikes

I wonder if this ices it for Chris Paul? Maybe NY looks like a more enticing destination next season.

WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

1/26/2016  12:22 PM
Nalod wrote:
Not sure Curry is better than Isiah for that matter, and I hate Isiah. Problem is in the era of sluggo ball that Isiah played in his stats are not with Curry, but I know what I saw and while no MVP in that era, the Pistons won back to back and he was their best players. I'd say they are on par with each other.

Big respect to the Warriors and what they are doing but I can't determine if they are great, or the talent is diluted, talent lacks fundmentals and the CBA has given us parity that further waters down the product.
They are healthy, talented and run like no other team!!!

Big props but gotta stay grounded.

You also have to imagine what guys like Thomas, or any 6' to 6'2" guards who could drive or shoot would do today with the kind of rules which protect players from even minimal contact.

Isiah would have loved playing at this time and his game would have been enhanced, IMO.

GS has excellent, unselfish players who trust in the system they play and benefit from rules which favor quick finesse players.

The also benefit from a general lack of good post-up bigs in the NBA, and the ability to play a kind of zone D which further negates the post game and benefits longer/quicker/athletic teams.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
WaltLongmire

1/26/2016  12:24 PM
smackeddog wrote:

Yikes

Does he get a suspension for this kind of thing, too?

You would think that there would be action by the team or the league...NO?

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
1/26/2016  12:39 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/26/2016  12:40 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

Yikes

Suspensions always seemed difficult to me to enforce coming off injury, at least by the league. Suspended 3 games? Team activates him a week ahead of schedule and let's him serve the suspension while he's still recovering.

Should be suspended though. Definitely will be fined.

WaltLongmire

1/26/2016  12:45 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/26/2016  12:47 PM
MaTT4281 wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

Yikes

Suspensions always seemed difficult to me to enforce coming off injury, at least by the league. Suspended 3 games? Team activates him a week ahead of schedule and let's him serve the suspension while he's still recovering.

Should be suspended though. Definitely will be fined.

Did not think about the early activation strategy...he does lose the money if suspended, though, and that is a pretty good sum of cash for him, I would think, even if there is no official "fine" by the NBA.

Somewhat of an embarrassment for the league, since Blake is such a recognizable figure in the league.

Would assume that the Clippers would have to take action as a team, unless they find that the equipment fellow somehow instigated it.

BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
1/26/2016  12:55 PM
Nalod wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:Curry is right up there with Jordan if hes not better. He wont have the longevity Jordan had as Jordan was a bigger more physical athlete but prime to prime they are close as heck.

C'mon now!! I know your a bit impressionable these days to what you see but "right up there" is a bit much. While he has a chip, he on par with Nash, Cousey, Logo, etc. Not on Mt Rushmore quite yet. But I'd say he on the summit with some good names!!!

Maybe because we are older you tend to think ah weve seen the best no other will be on that level. And while its a different time in pro basketball the effectiveness in Curry in EVERY facet is atleast as good as MJ if not higher.

RIP Crushalot😞
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
1/26/2016  12:57 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
Nalod wrote:

Maybe because we are older you tend to think ah weve seen the best no other will be on that level. And while its a different time in pro basketball the effectiveness in Curry in EVERY facet is atleast as good as MJ if not higher.

I don't get to see much of Curry. Is his defense as good? Rebounding?

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
GustavBahler

1/26/2016  12:59 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/26/2016  1:00 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
Nalod wrote:

Also have to factor in how much more physical it was back then, and the level of competition.

BRIGGS
1/26/2016  1:01 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/26/2016  1:02 PM
martin wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
Nalod wrote:

I don't get to see much of Curry. Is his defense as good? Rebounding?

Its all very good. I highly doubt Steph can be as durable as Jordan so anyone can make a comparison saying MJ is the better long term hooper--that I will agree with. But each player at max---???? If he stays healthy--GS will win it again and again for a few years.

RIP Crushalot😞
BRIGGS
1/26/2016  1:03 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
Nalod wrote:

Also have to factor in how much more physical it was back then, and the level of competition.

Yeah but we cant do that--the game is what it is now.

RIP Crushalot😞
GustavBahler

1/26/2016  1:11 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
Nalod wrote:

You might not be able to, but I can. Thats why Im saying that Curry is not better than Jordan. He's great for his time. I dont believe Curry would have this kind of success had he played in the 80's, early 90's. Westbrook could IMO, but not Curry.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/26/2016  1:20 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/26/2016  1:25 PM
Briggs, Im not the one pulling in the Jordan comp so the whole Era thing is on you. No doubt a league MVP, and obviously on his way to another, has the game that blows our minds as he has taken some aspects to the game further than anyone. I have ever seen a guy who can shoot like that without setting his feet properly. This kids is amazing. His penetrating game has evolved and some credit has to go to his role players around him that can shoot as well.

Every era has its dominating players at positions. GOAT is a tough thing and I can argue Jordan as not being one as well. But he is on mount Rushmore.

Oscar today might not be that special given he does not have that imposing size in this era as being unusual, but in his time he was the best of his era.

Curry is on his way to the HOF. His window as an all star is one thing, this MVP window is pretty darn impressive!
Nate Archibald lead the league in scoring AND assists one year playing for Kings who were not very good. Imagine Tiny in this era? Imagine Tiny on a team like todays Warriors!!!!!

Imagine is not the same as "behold"!!

GustavBahler

1/26/2016  6:24 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/26/2016  6:25 PM
Im guessing that the Clips might look into trading Griffin for Melo. Im guessing Phil will say no. If they offer their first round pick this year, I would say yes. Griffin is out long enough to put us in the lottery again. We get a younger all-star and a shot at the number 1 pick again. Melo would go to a team closer to winning it all in the short term, which fits with his declining health. Griffin has his own health issues, but again, he's younger.

Not a big fan a Blake but its not much different than Spree choking Carlessimo. If Melo's knees weren't becoming a big issue, I wouldn't want to do it. Have to emphasize that part.

WaltLongmire

1/26/2016  6:50 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/26/2016  6:52 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
Nalod wrote:

You make up this rule?

Sorry...but that makes little sense...and at the very least, the differences negate any attempt at a truly accurate comparison. Basically means that nobody from the past can be compared with today's players given significant changes in the game.

You see the same stuff in the NFL, where receivers and QBs are given all kinds of advantages that players from past eras never have had.

Celebrate the stars of today, but making some of these comparisons with previous stars seems foolish to me. I do think you can look at the relative athleticism of various eras, or the racial segregation that would have had an influence, but this is different from periods where the athleticism was equal but the rules were substantially different.

How do you fit the PED era in baseball into comparing this or that player? I suppose it means that you'll never be able to compare future sluggers to the PED era because of your "the game is what it is now" rule... right?

Curry's run is not over- so we don't know how much he will accomplish...but you can reverse things right and look at how people might have viewed Curry from Jordan's "prime," and I think Jordan supporters would have snickered a bit at the comparison.

Curry is a great player, but its easy to see that he benefits from certain rules that Jordan never had protecting him on the offensive end. He is also not the defender Jordan was, and rarely expends the kind of energy on D that Jordan used to use on a regular basis.

Just don't think it is time to make this kind of comparison...a bit presumptive, IMO.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=1&p1=jordami01&p2=curryst01&p3=&p4=&p5=&p6=
2015-16 Other NBA games and League things.......

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy