[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Begley: Fisher considering KP as a starter
Author Thread
nixluva
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #758
USA
10/5/2015  8:33 PM
ChuckBuck wrote:Hope that's the goal. If he's the best 2 way player in camp, and can just stick his paws high in the air for defense, then I want to see the twin towers in action.

Melo's best bet is at the 3, any mistakes he makes defensively should be able to be covered by 14 feet of RoLo and KP.

That's what I'd love to see. Just a total commitment to shutting teams down like the old days😈
You just know KP is gonna get his share of blocks on guys who lose track of him on help D.

AUTOADVERT
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
10/5/2015  8:51 PM
RAMBIS ON KP

Kurt Rambis believes it will take time for Kristaps Porzingis to adjust to life in the NBA, but calls the 7-porzingisfoot-3 Latvian a “dangerous” shooter who has similarities to Dirk Nowitzki and Pau Gasol.

“His ability to shoot the basketball is very dangerous,” said Rambis, who on Monday ran Knicks practice in place of Derek Fisher, who was out for personal reasons. “And teams are going to be very wary of of him. His reputation as a shooter is going to get around the league quickly.”

Rambis works with the Knicks big men and couldn’t heap enough praise onto Porzingis, whom the Knicks chose at No. 4 in the NBA Draft.

“He’s got 3-point range,” Rambis said. “Like effortless 3-point range, too. It’s not even hard for him to shoot from that distance.”

Still, Rambis doesn’t want to pigeonhole Porzingis as solely a long-distance bomber, and says some nights he will play more on the perimeter and others more in the paint.

“We don’t want guys to settle into that [3-point shooting],” Rambis said. “It’s going to be part of his game that we’re going to be able to take advantage of. But we don’t want him to just stand out there because he’s a good rebounder and he can push the ball up the floor. So we want him to be able to do all those things. And he’s smart enough that he’s going to be able to adjust his game from game-to-game. One game he might be playing down low for most of the game, and other games he might be playing outside a lot. But that’s for further down the road.”

Ideally, Rambis says, Porzingis is part-Nowitzki and part-Gasol.

“He might be a combination of both of them just because he can do so many things,” he said. “You guys haven’t seen it yet and probably all of it won’t come out for three or four or five years, either. He’s got to grow up, mature, develop, get stronger, get used to the NBA game. But he already understands basketball. He already knows what to do. And he’s an unselfish ballplayer. He makes really good decisions. It wasn’t like he was a blank slate coming here. He knows how to play. ”

With the Knicks set to open the preseason on Wednesday against Bauru from Brazil, it remains unclear if Porzingis will start. Rambis said it will take time for “KP” to adjust to life in the NBA.

“He’s got to get a feel as a rookie for all the different talent that he’s going to be playing against,” Rambis said. “Every single team the guy that matches up against him, whether he’s starting or coming off the bench, is going be somebody he’s never played against before. So he’s not only going to have to deal with how they defend him, but he’s also going to learn how to defend those guys. That’s a lot to learn.

“But if he’s out there too much, then he gets fatigued and then everything starts to go downhill. In this league, once you get depleted it’s hard to get to that recuperative factor where you get back to a high level and bring that energy. So we want to be smart about it. And it might change. It might grow. If he looks like he’s getting tired during stretches of games then we might have to back off. But we’re going to be learning how to use him as much as he’s learning about the league.”

ES
nixluva
USA
10/5/2015  9:21 PM
knicks1248 wrote:RAMBIS ON KP

Kurt Rambis believes it will take time for Kristaps Porzingis to adjust to life in the NBA, but calls the 7-porzingisfoot-3 Latvian a “dangerous” shooter who has similarities to Dirk Nowitzki and Pau Gasol.

“His ability to shoot the basketball is very dangerous,” said Rambis, who on Monday ran Knicks practice in place of Derek Fisher, who was out for personal reasons. “And teams are going to be very wary of of him. His reputation as a shooter is going to get around the league quickly.”

Rambis works with the Knicks big men and couldn’t heap enough praise onto Porzingis, whom the Knicks chose at No. 4 in the NBA Draft.

“He’s got 3-point range,” Rambis said. “Like effortless 3-point range, too. It’s not even hard for him to shoot from that distance.”

Still, Rambis doesn’t want to pigeonhole Porzingis as solely a long-distance bomber, and says some nights he will play more on the perimeter and others more in the paint.

“We don’t want guys to settle into that [3-point shooting],” Rambis said. “It’s going to be part of his game that we’re going to be able to take advantage of. But we don’t want him to just stand out there because he’s a good rebounder and he can push the ball up the floor. So we want him to be able to do all those things. And he’s smart enough that he’s going to be able to adjust his game from game-to-game. One game he might be playing down low for most of the game, and other games he might be playing outside a lot. But that’s for further down the road.”

“He might be a combination of both of them just because he can do so many things,” he said. “You guys haven’t seen it yet and probably all of it won’t come out for three or four or five years, either. He’s got to grow up, mature, develop, get stronger, get used to the NBA game. But he already understands basketball. He already knows what to do. And he’s an unselfish ballplayer. He makes really good decisions. It wasn’t like he was a blank slate coming here. He knows how to play. ”

With the Knicks set to open the preseason on Wednesday against Bauru from Brazil, it remains unclear if Porzingis will start. Rambis said it will take time for “KP” to adjust to life in the NBA.

“He’s got to get a feel as a rookie for all the different talent that he’s going to be playing against,” Rambis said. “Every single team the guy that matches up against him, whether he’s starting or coming off the bench, is going be somebody he’s never played against before. So he’s not only going to have to deal with how they defend him, but he’s also going to learn how to defend those guys. That’s a lot to learn.

“But if he’s out there too much, then he gets fatigued and then everything starts to go downhill. In this league, once you get depleted it’s hard to get to that recuperative factor where you get back to a high level and bring that energy. So we want to be smart about it. And it might change. It might grow. If he looks like he’s getting tired during stretches of games then we might have to back off. But we’re going to be learning how to use him as much as he’s learning about the league.”

Nice insight on KP and his rookie season. It's still gonna be fun and interesting to watch KP develop even if it takes time. I expect KP show his talent this year because he is a smart kid and I think he'll make adjustments a little faster than some rookies with less BB IQ.
wargames
Member: #6053

10/5/2015  11:56 PM
nixluva wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:RAMBIS ON KP

Nice insight on KP and his rookie season. It's still gonna be fun and interesting to watch KP develop even if it takes time. I expect KP show his talent this year because he is a smart kid and I think he'll make adjustments a little faster than some rookies with less BB IQ.

Agreed. I still think the most impressive thing he did in summer league was adapt to defending against Okafor from trying to keep him out of the paint to realizing that was impossible so to instead focus on instead protecting the rim itself by using his height to block shots. BBIQ is really underrated for most players and especially rookies.

The algorithm gives and the algorithm takes away
blkexec
Member: #748
10/6/2015  1:27 AM    LAST EDITED: 10/6/2015  1:31 AM
http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/teams/New-York-Knicks/20/Rosters/Regular

2015-2016 Knicks Depth Chart

PG	    SG	             SF	            PF	            C
Starters L. Galloway A. Afflalo C. Anthony L. Thomas R. Lopez
Rotation J. Calderon D. Williams L. Amundson K. Seraphin
Rotation C. Early K. O'Quinn

Lim PT T. Trice J. Grant T. Antetokounmpo K. Porzingis
Lim PT S. Vujacic W. Saunders D. Atkins
Lim PT D. Summers

I found this on realgm.com Interesting

Also look how many PF's are listed....Then add in Melo, D.Will and Seraphin and we have 9 players that can play PF. Thats a team built around Melo and Porzingis weaknesses. It's deep enough to allow KP to come on slow and allow Melo to stay healthy. SG and PG is a weaknesses right now. But triangle can hide guard weaknesses on offense. More pressure on the bigs to help guard penetration....Which is why we have 12 SF's / PF's.....I think center is a fragile position for us. If Lopez goes down, thats a major blow for our rim protection and low post defense.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
ESOMKnicks
Member: #6064

10/6/2015  2:57 AM
I think the other guy mentioned in the article, Dragan Bender, is way more impressive than KP at the same age. I'd take him with a #4 pick without a doubt. Too bad we dont have a first rounder next year.
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
10/6/2015  7:56 AM
ESOMKnicks wrote:I think the other guy mentioned in the article, Dragan Bender, is way more impressive than KP at the same age. I'd take him with a #4 pick without a doubt. Too bad we dont have a first rounder next year.

Not that i'm an expert, but from the looks of it from an outsider. Bender hasn't played in the highest level of Europe yet while KP has for the last 3 yrs. Not only that but KP won rising star player of the year within the highest level of Euro basketball. While Bender is just entering the league now. KP has 3 yrs of data under his belt at the highest level to fall back on as a lotto selection, speaks very good English, and has major confidence. Bender I don't know much about his character but he hasn't played a game yet at top level yet is projected as a #4 lotto pick in the NBA based off the work he has done vs juniors. And from the looks of it will come off the bench his first yr and probably not get any real mins his first yr. And if drafted would be purely on potential. Also doesn't look as fluid or smooth as KP.

On a side note: Darko Milicic played for the NEBL and never played for the highest level of Euro basketball.

The North European Basketball League (NEBL) was a short-lived basketball league founded in 1998 by Šarūnas Marčiulionis. The league was the first commercial project of regional league in Europe, and initially intended for participation of the best basketball teams from five countries - Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Sweden and Finland.
https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
holfresh
Member: #1081

10/6/2015  8:09 AM    LAST EDITED: 10/6/2015  8:09 AM

Porzingis part Dirk, part Pau Gasol?

New York assistant coach Kurt Rambis spoke highly of the Knicks' first-round pick, but cautioned: "You [reporters] haven't seen it yet and probably all of it won't come out for three, four, five years either. He's got to grow up, mature, develop, get stronger, get used to the NBA game."

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
10/6/2015  12:07 PM
blkexec wrote:http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/teams/New-York-Knicks/20/Rosters/Regular

Lim PT D. Summers

Also look how many PF's are listed....Then add in Melo, D.Will and Seraphin and we have 9 players that can play PF. Thats a team built around Melo and Porzingis weaknesses. It's deep enough to allow KP to come on slow and allow Melo to stay healthy. SG and PG is a weaknesses right now. But triangle can hide guard weaknesses on offense. More pressure on the bigs to help guard penetration....Which is why we have 12 SF's / PF's.....I think center is a fragile position for us. If Lopez goes down, thats a major blow for our rim protection and low post defense.

That's the strangest Depth Chart I have seen for these new Knicks.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
nixluva
USA
10/6/2015  12:52 PM
martin wrote:
blkexec wrote:http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/teams/New-York-Knicks/20/Rosters/Regular

Lim PT D. Summers

That's the strangest Depth Chart I have seen for these new Knicks.

Yeah that Depth Chart is probably way off from what it's gonna end up being this year. LT and LA will likely end up on the outside looking in at the rotation more often than not IMO. I think Jerian will supplant Gallo in terms of minutes. He's just the more well rounded Guard. This team actually is pretty impressive in terms of it's depth. Decent quality throughout the roster. There's no one that i'd really say i'd be worried about playing. We had way more scrubs last year.
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
10/9/2015  9:02 AM
martin wrote:
dk7th wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
dk7th wrote:
holfresh wrote:
martin wrote:
holfresh wrote:
martin wrote:
dk7th wrote:

This means a front line of Lopez, KP, Melo. Guess that means Melo's expectations of playing the 4 spot are not going to be met as much as he wants..

Let me put this characterization to rest. The quote and exchange about this very topic was brought during media day with Melo, check out the video on MSG or nba.com

A reporter asked if Melo expects to play the 4 (some time this season). He answered yes, he'd probably see some time at the 4. Also said he expects Fisher to set the lineups and figure out where he wanted Melo to play and that he didn't really care if it was the 3 or 4.

There was ZERO insinuation, as you have characterized it, that Melo expects, demands, only wants to, etc. regarding what position he plays.

Also, dk7th, if you watch the video, please let me know what kind of shape you think Melo is in at this point.

I don't even think Melo wants to play the 4...Paul George is upset he was asked to play the 4..Just more drama for no appearent reason..

There is no drama, what drama? Only you thinks there is drama...for no apparent reason

Well I was referring to the hissie fit both guns and dk7th pitched when Melo said he will see time at the 4 this season..But if I'm interrupting some male bonding of sorts, please excuse my intrusion..

according to the tweet, this is straight from the horse's mouth:

speaking of mouth.. this is just another example of melo's chronic foot in mouth disorder. as i have said, why can't he just shut the **** up for once and let his bosses make the decisions?

The bolded is a bit harsh especially since Martin explained the context of the quote. It is all right here in Martin's explanation :
The quote and exchange about this very topic was brought during media day with Melo, check out the video on MSG or nba.com

A reporter asked if Melo expects to play the 4 (some time this season). He answered yes, he'd probably see some time at the 4. Also said he expects Fisher to set the lineups and figure out where he wanted Melo to play and that he didn't really care if it was the 3 or 4.

yes i saw the video. the question was a stupid one, let's start there. but the way melo responded, with that dumbass smile, reveals a lot in terms of melo's preference/agenda. then he followed that with a hedge.. here is the link for your viewing pleasure. study his response carefully.

http://www.nba.com/knicks/video/teams/knicks/2015/09/28/dropbox_nyk_melopt1_092815_MSG_RAd.mp4-32791

so my response to martin and anyone else who shares his opinion, is that it isn't the words alone but the way melo expresses those words. similarly, it isn't *that* you win but rather *how* you win that matters....

Reporter: "Melo, you've had some success playing the 4 in the past, any chance... do you look forward to playing the 4 this season as opposed to the 3?"

Melo: "Im sure I'll be at the 4, especially with the makeup of this team. Im pretty sure I'll be there. Some nights it'll be an advantage and we will go to that and some nights we won't. It'll depend on who we playing, how the game is going, and whether Fish wanna put me at the 4 position. For me it doesn't matter, it doesn't really matter, the 3 or 4, the way that the game is going now, those are the same 2 positions,
So it doesn't really matter for me at this point."

http://www.nba.com/knicks/video/teams/knicks/2015/09/28/dropbox_nyk_melopt1_092815_MSG_RAd.mp4-32791

more quotes from Melo regarding playing the 4 (if anyone is interested in facts rather than agendas)

Carmelo Anthony prefers small forward and, if everything goes according to plan, he'll get a chance to play their often this season. The Knicks stocked up on power forwards during the summer who were all on display Wednesday - Kyle O'Quinn (14 points, 8 rebounds), Kevin Seraphin (14, 5), Derrick Williams (6, 4), Kristaps Porzingis (7, 2). "I think that spot is wide open, just as far as who's going to play it, when they're going to play," Anthony said. "I'm pretty sure you'll see some times with me at the four throughout the course of the season. To be honest with you, throughout these first 10 days of camp, Seraphin showed some shine at that position, K.P. showed some upside at that position. Guys we brought in at that position are showing why we brought them." Anthony, playing in his first game since undergoing knee surgery, started at small forward, played 20 minutes and scored a team-high 17 points on 8-of-10 shooting.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/knicks-insider-jerian-grant-strong-impression-article-1.2390826

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Begley: Fisher considering KP as a starter

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy