Alba Posts: 1
Member: #4228
USA
10/4/2015  5:41 PM
knicks1248 wrote:This has got to be the #1 reason for considering KP to start

So, what's Melo like?

"He's a great passer," Porzingis said.

Come again?

"Yeah," he replied. "Just for me playing with him . . . We play 5-on-5 and he always finds me. He just finds me. You know, he draws so much attention and he always finds me when I'm open."

that's great news. i trust kp's take on things. maybe melo will be able to play in the post effectively after all. we shall see. link?

knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
AUTOADVERT
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
10/4/2015  5:46 PM
dk7th wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
dk7th wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
dk7th wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
dk7th wrote:
nixluva wrote:We're about to start a new season with a better squad and Melo has been GREAT with his teammates this summer! It just seems wrong to be going back years and beating a dead horse at this point. Yes Melo hasn't always done or said the right things but clearly has so far this off season and Training Camp. Team is in great spirits.

look not everything he does is stupid or wrong or bad. for instance, from the same page of videos:

http://www.nba.com/knicks/video/teams/knicks/2015/10/01/1443732874815-151001_Melo-HD-720p.mov-37647 here he seems to have matured a bit, which in fact i admire. and the puerto rico thing was great of him.

does that nullify his alleged comments about the 2-15 draft, for which he had to do some spin control? or saying he wanted to test free agency at around this time before the 37-win season? or that he insisted on playing in the all-star game after the season was lost and he could have had surgery and rehab much earlier?

He said he didn't say it and there is no proof that he did. Stephen A. even recanted on his position on this. He also spent the summer working out with Kristaps and was at the workouts before the draft when the Knicks worked him out. There isn't even a smoking gun here.
Also, regarding the Herring tweet, it seems like this guy gets things wrong sometimes. Remember when he said that Melo was taking 80%? of his contract up front and there was a huge media reaction only to find out that he was doing what Bron, Bosh, Wade etc. do with money that was being paid out for that season. Some good advice was given by others here that hopefully you won't ignore. Find out the context of statements before you start trashing guys.

seems like your issue is with melo's entourage of blabbermouths, herring and smith. they are the ones that cause the problems for melo, at least that is what you are implying. alternatively, these alleged comments may not being pulled out of their collective azzes but may have some source in reality.

at any rate, if you have issues with them then i suggest you and others quit citing them in your posts. as you know i never cite herring or smith directly because i do not respect them: they are hacks of the first order. i don't deal in rumors directly but only through what you and others foolishly bring to the forum. i try to stick to what melo actually says and does, like hosting puerto rico, saying he wants to test free agency before the 2013-14 season, referring to lin's contract as "ridiculous," etc. etc. etc.

I don't know anything about Melo's entourage but I am pretty sure Herring and Smith aren't in it. Also, you cited Herring in this thread and then trashed Melo without knowing the context. Also, someone, Ned?, is friends with Herring and I believe said Herring doesn't even like the Knicks.

In regards to context, if you watched the summer league game where they asked Melo about Lin's contract in the Team USA locker room you wouldn't bring it up because you would have seen/heard it in context. Connect the dots and it seems like context should come before assumptions and bashing of guys.

i didn't say that herring and smith were members of melo's entourage, i merely listed them as the second and third parties with whom you should have issues. you misread the sentence even though the syntax and punctuation were pretty clear. why?

i cited begley to open the thread, and then martin cited the video. herring tweeted to the world before the video was shared with the general public, i believe. not my problem that herring tweeted what he did-- seems like he wants to stir up controversy, which is the sign of a hack. hence, it seems that your issue is with herring, whose tweet was the first thing that was introduced to this forum days ago. since he is a hack, i suggest you not cite him.

This is about you taking things out of context to trash Melo. Nice try though

no.

it's about herring tweeting half-truths, and herring taking things out of context. not my fault that tweets come out before videos.

having seen the video and heard and seen melo directly, i stand by what he said: he said something stupid, and then tried to recover after realizing his gaffe. that's not "trashing" it's "observing."

nice try though.

Interesting. So Melo didn't mean what he said? And even though you said that you had formed an opinion before you saw the press conference about his words taken out of context you were able to interpret not his words but something else during the press conference to mean that the assumption you made was correct? By golly I bet you think you are always right no matter what you see and hear.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
dk7th
USA
10/4/2015  6:02 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
dk7th wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
dk7th wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
dk7th wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
dk7th wrote:
nixluva wrote:We're about to start a new season with a better squad and Melo has been GREAT with his teammates this summer! It just seems wrong to be going back years and beating a dead horse at this point. Yes Melo hasn't always done or said the right things but clearly has so far this off season and Training Camp. Team is in great spirits.

look not everything he does is stupid or wrong or bad. for instance, from the same page of videos:

http://www.nba.com/knicks/video/teams/knicks/2015/10/01/1443732874815-151001_Melo-HD-720p.mov-37647 here he seems to have matured a bit, which in fact i admire. and the puerto rico thing was great of him.

does that nullify his alleged comments about the 2-15 draft, for which he had to do some spin control? or saying he wanted to test free agency at around this time before the 37-win season? or that he insisted on playing in the all-star game after the season was lost and he could have had surgery and rehab much earlier?

He said he didn't say it and there is no proof that he did. Stephen A. even recanted on his position on this. He also spent the summer working out with Kristaps and was at the workouts before the draft when the Knicks worked him out. There isn't even a smoking gun here.
Also, regarding the Herring tweet, it seems like this guy gets things wrong sometimes. Remember when he said that Melo was taking 80%? of his contract up front and there was a huge media reaction only to find out that he was doing what Bron, Bosh, Wade etc. do with money that was being paid out for that season. Some good advice was given by others here that hopefully you won't ignore. Find out the context of statements before you start trashing guys.

seems like your issue is with melo's entourage of blabbermouths, herring and smith. they are the ones that cause the problems for melo, at least that is what you are implying. alternatively, these alleged comments may not being pulled out of their collective azzes but may have some source in reality.

at any rate, if you have issues with them then i suggest you and others quit citing them in your posts. as you know i never cite herring or smith directly because i do not respect them: they are hacks of the first order. i don't deal in rumors directly but only through what you and others foolishly bring to the forum. i try to stick to what melo actually says and does, like hosting puerto rico, saying he wants to test free agency before the 2013-14 season, referring to lin's contract as "ridiculous," etc. etc. etc.

I don't know anything about Melo's entourage but I am pretty sure Herring and Smith aren't in it. Also, you cited Herring in this thread and then trashed Melo without knowing the context. Also, someone, Ned?, is friends with Herring and I believe said Herring doesn't even like the Knicks.

In regards to context, if you watched the summer league game where they asked Melo about Lin's contract in the Team USA locker room you wouldn't bring it up because you would have seen/heard it in context. Connect the dots and it seems like context should come before assumptions and bashing of guys.

i didn't say that herring and smith were members of melo's entourage, i merely listed them as the second and third parties with whom you should have issues. you misread the sentence even though the syntax and punctuation were pretty clear. why?

i cited begley to open the thread, and then martin cited the video. herring tweeted to the world before the video was shared with the general public, i believe. not my problem that herring tweeted what he did-- seems like he wants to stir up controversy, which is the sign of a hack. hence, it seems that your issue is with herring, whose tweet was the first thing that was introduced to this forum days ago. since he is a hack, i suggest you not cite him.

no.

it's about herring tweeting half-truths, and herring taking things out of context. not my fault that tweets come out before videos.

having seen the video and heard and seen melo directly, i stand by what he said: he said something stupid, and then tried to recover after realizing his gaffe. that's not "trashing" it's "observing."

nice try though.

Interesting. So Melo didn't mean what he said? And even though you said that you had formed an opinion before you saw the press conference about his words taken out of context you were able to interpret not his words but something else during the press conference to mean that the assumption you made was correct? By golly I bet you think you are always right no matter what you see and hear.

not quite.

the question was idiotic, and having listened to it again, the question finished with "at the 4, as opposed to the 3?" he could have said "it doesn't matter to me" in the first place, but he didn't. he stated his personal preference.

so he made a mistake when he initially said what he did because that precludes allowing the coaching staff to make that call. having realized what he said was a mistake, he expanded his answer into something of a backtrack, even going so far to say that it doesn't matter whether it's the 3 or the 4, since he thinks that that's the way the game is going. it is actually a good sign that he is making some progress in expanding and backtrackimg so quickly in the spoken gaffe department. i also find it encouraging that kp says that melo is a great passer, which makes it easier for me to accept that melo may be playing the 4 a bunch even though we acquired a lot of other 4s this offseason.

knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
holfresh
Member: #1081

10/4/2015  6:05 PM
Priceless comedy..
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
10/4/2015  6:06 PM
wow.. DK mincing Melo's words to support an argument against him. There is a real shocking development here.

If finding easy jumpers for KP early in his pro career starting him at the 4 has its merits. Also puts two 7 footers at the rim, and KP is obviously a stretch 4 if Melo operates in the post. Lets see how it translates on the court.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
10/4/2015  6:15 PM
dk7th wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
dk7th wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
dk7th wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
dk7th wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
dk7th wrote:

no.

nice try though.

not quite.

the question was idiotic, and having listened to it again, the question finished with "at the 4, as opposed to the 3?" he could have said "it doesn't matter to me" in the first place, but he didn't. he stated his personal preference.

so he made a mistake when he initially said what he did because that precludes allowing the coaching staff to make that call. having realized what he said was a mistake, he expanded his answer into something of a backtrack, even going so far to say that it doesn't matter whether it's the 3 or the 4, since he thinks that that's the way the game is going. it is actually a good sign that he is making some progress in expanding and backtrackimg so quickly in the spoken gaffe department. i also find it encouraging that kp says that melo is a great passer, which makes it easier for me to accept that melo may be playing the 4 a bunch even though we acquired a lot of other 4s this offseason.

you are a mind reader of epic proportions.

Reporter: "Melo, you've had some success playing the 4 in the past, any chance... do you look forward to playing the 4 this season as opposed to the 3?"

Melo: "Im sure I'll be at the 4, especially with the makeup of this team. Im pretty sure I'll be there. Some nights it'll be an advantage and we will go to that and some nights we won't. It'll depend on who we playing, how the game is going, and whether Fish wanna put me at the 4 position. For me it doesn't matter, it doesn't really matter, the 3 or 4, the way that the game is going now, those are the same 2 positions,
So it doesn't really matter for me at this point."

Fiorina: The Planned Parenthood video showed "a fully formed fetus on the table its heart beating its legs kicking while someone says we have to keep it alive to harvest its brain."

The rest of the world: "Lies, show us where"

Fiorina: "It's there!"

dk7th: "Melo is gaffing, backtracking, and insisting to coaching staff that he wants to play the 4."

The rest of the world: "Lies, show us where"

dk7th: "It's there!"

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
10/4/2015  6:22 PM
The most interesting thing to come out of camp is that despite missing a couple of scrimmages KP is still in line to win a starting spot and Melo has been supporting the kid and helping him out. That's freakin great news for now and the future. We need KP to be successful and it's clear Melo is helping to make that happen and he said he wanted to protect and mentor the kid. Nothing but good news.
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
10/4/2015  6:32 PM
back to the original topic there are some real challenges here for Fisher. He's a good manager of people, that's one thing he brought to the table with no coaching experience, but OQuinn and Seraphin are two guys hungry for minutes, a big role and a big contract. Then you have the Knicks commitment to KP, which they can afford to be patient on. Perhaps they hold him back a bit, let OQuinn and Seraphin fight for starting 4, backup 5 and/or backup 4. You figure Rolo starts but he's a 30 mpg guy, and ideally 28 mpg. Melo is getting 35-38 mpg at the 3/4. Who's next in the rotation? Honest question. It seems like KP, OQuinn, Seraphin, DWilliams are all fighting for the same minutes. That's not even mentioning dark horses Thanasis and Early. Who's to say Thanasis insane athleticism doesn't take off playing next to Rolo and Melo? Doesn't have to score, doesn't have to defend the rim, just fly around and do stuff.

So its going to be very interesting how it plays out, how Fisher gets these guys involved, all of whom bring or represent something significant.

Good problem to have. Also with very reasonable deals if a couple of these guys are playing well they will be fantastic trading chips. Plenty of positive scenarios for once

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
martin
USA
10/4/2015  6:35 PM
fishmike wrote:back to the original topic there are some real challenges here for Fisher. He's a good manager of people, that's one thing he brought to the table with no coaching experience, but OQuinn and Seraphin are two guys hungry for minutes, a big role and a big contract. Then you have the Knicks commitment to KP, which they can afford to be patient on. Perhaps they hold him back a bit, let OQuinn and Seraphin fight for starting 4, backup 5 and/or backup 4. You figure Rolo starts but he's a 30 mpg guy, and ideally 28 mpg. Melo is getting 35-38 mpg at the 3/4. Who's next in the rotation? Honest question. It seems like KP, OQuinn, Seraphin, DWilliams are all fighting for the same minutes. That's not even mentioning dark horses Thanasis and Early. Who's to say Thanasis insane athleticism doesn't take off playing next to Rolo and Melo? Doesn't have to score, doesn't have to defend the rim, just fly around and do stuff.

So its going to be very interesting how it plays out, how Fisher gets these guys involved, all of whom bring or represent something significant.

Good problem to have. Also with very reasonable deals if a couple of these guys are playing well they will be fantastic trading chips. Plenty of positive scenarios for once

I want to see Melo under the 34 minute mark. And Thanasis is certainly a dark horse that I would love to see succeed, backup 2/3 who only has to defend in a lineup that makes up for his lack of offense.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
10/4/2015  6:40 PM
fishmike wrote:back to the original topic there are some real challenges here for Fisher. He's a good manager of people, that's one thing he brought to the table with no coaching experience, but OQuinn and Seraphin are two guys hungry for minutes, a big role and a big contract. Then you have the Knicks commitment to KP, which they can afford to be patient on. Perhaps they hold him back a bit, let OQuinn and Seraphin fight for starting 4, backup 5 and/or backup 4. You figure Rolo starts but he's a 30 mpg guy, and ideally 28 mpg. Melo is getting 35-38 mpg at the 3/4. Who's next in the rotation? Honest question. It seems like KP, OQuinn, Seraphin, DWilliams are all fighting for the same minutes. That's not even mentioning dark horses Thanasis and Early. Who's to say Thanasis insane athleticism doesn't take off playing next to Rolo and Melo? Doesn't have to score, doesn't have to defend the rim, just fly around and do stuff.

Also the Knicks may go with two point guards in the back court. I have heard a couple of times that the thought is that grant can play the point or shooting guard position. If they go with that back court do they start Afflalo at the 3 and Melo at the 4?
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Cartman718
Member: #1694

10/4/2015  6:41 PM
martin wrote:

I want to see Melo under the 34 minute mark. And Thanasis is certainly a dark horse that I would love to see succeed, backup 2/3 who only has to defend in a lineup that makes up for his lack of offense.

i honestly think thanassis competitive fire will drive him much further than people think. he needs to get his ass kicked in a regular season nba game a few times and i think he will work harder than ever before

Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
knicks1248
Member: #582
10/4/2015  6:42 PM

Hopefully it doesn't take a rack of injuries or 3 months for them to figure it out

ES
martin
USA
10/4/2015  6:47 PM
Cartman718 wrote:
martin wrote:

i honestly think thanassis competitive fire will drive him much further than people think. he needs to get his ass kicked in a regular season nba game a few times and i think he will work harder than ever before

I don't know what happened to the guy the year before but by all accounts he went backwards. Dude isn't coming off as super smart on the court and has regressed with his shooting. I hope things turn around.

dk7th
USA
10/4/2015  6:59 PM

if melo and the rest of the knicks are going to vie for the playoffs then nobody should be playing more than 32 minutes a game, especially melo and calderon. it has been proven that fewer minutes and utilizing a deeper bench is a recipe for success. no more chasing wins with a short rotation. the knicks really should follow the spurs model. even leonard played only 32 minutes on average. of all the 3s and 4s on the roster the ones who are the most effective passers should be given the most minutes at the 4. the first player that will not make the cut in this manner is williams-- no way. same with thanasis and thomas. same with seraphin. that leaves o'quinn, melo, kp.

my hunch is that o'quinn will see a good amount of time at the 4. kp is a relatively unknown quantity but from what little i have seen he has superior court vision and is a willing passer. melo has been endorsed by kp as a "great passer" which is encouraging.

conclusion: o'quinn, kp, and melo will take the lion's share of minutes at the 4.

knickscity
Member: #4241
USA
10/4/2015  7:05 PM
martin wrote:

I could see this is the team is blowing out opponents every night like Steph Curry enjoyed playing 32 per contest last year, but thats not likely to be the case here. The vast majority of players who play under 34 per game are role players and 2-3 option starters, or older players. it's not realistic to think Melo will be off the court over a quarter of basketball on average per game.
dk7th
USA
10/4/2015  7:11 PM
knickscity wrote:
martin wrote:

I could see this is the team is blowing out opponents every night like Steph Curry enjoyed playing 32 per contest last year, but thats not likely to be the case here. The vast majority of players who play under 34 per game are role players and 2-3 option starters, or older players. it's not realistic to think Melo will be off the court over a quarter of basketball on average per game.

melo is 31 and has been playing in the nba since he was 19. that's a lot of miles. the last 3 seasons he has shown sgns of breaking down. there must be a conservative approach to his minutes.

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
10/4/2015  7:58 PM
I believe they'll go with a relatively deep rotation but also have games where they rest guys and that's how they'll be able to satisfy more of the players desire to play. Unfortunately someone is gonna be out of the rotation.

The depth chart can look kind of strange IMO. Based on the things I've seen and heard I think it'll be something like this:

RoLo     KP     Melo  Afflalo  Jose  
O'Quinn DWill Sasha Jerian
Seraphin Gallo
martin
USA
10/4/2015  8:27 PM
nixluva wrote:I believe they'll go with a relatively deep rotation but also have games where they rest guys and that's how they'll be able to satisfy more of the players desire to play. Unfortunately someone is gonna be out of the rotation.

The depth chart can look kind of strange IMO. Based on the things I've seen and heard I think it'll be something like this:

RoLo     KP     Melo  Afflalo  Jose  
O'Quinn DWill Sasha Jerian
Seraphin Gallo

how about

RoLo KP Melo Afflalo Jose
O'Quinn DWill Sasha Gallo Jerian
Seraphin

Or

RoLo O'Quinn Melo Afflalo Jose
Seraphin KP DWill Sasha Jerian
Gallo

Or

RoLo Seraphin Melo Afflalo Jerian
O'Quinn KP DWill Sasha Jose
Gallo
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

10/4/2015  8:57 PM
CrushAlot wrote:He said he didn't say it and there is no proof that he did. Stephen A. even recanted on his position on this. He also spent the summer working out with Kristaps and was at the workouts before the draft when the Knicks worked him out. There isn't even a smoking gun here.

Ian Begley was on the radio at the time and said he had multiple sources supporting the draft/THJ story. Seem to recall some ESPN interviewers asking him if he was sure the story was correct, and he said there was no doubt that it was.

Sounds hard to believe, but if he says it, I don't really care, as long as what he says remains private. Problem is that the entourage many celebrities and star athletes have around them usually like to talk, and some athletes themselves don't know when to shut up.

THJ got a tough deal. I think he was at some kind of Knicks draft affair when he was notified. Easy to see the conversation that was reported going down that way...again, that is not the big deal, IMO, the big deal is that someone associated with them retold the story, and it got out.

I remember when James and his people met with Donnie Walsh and the Knicks, and someone at the meeting indicated that Walsh's appearance at the time (he was ill and in a wheel chair), was significant to the James, and seem to recall that some kind of derogatory remark was made about his appearance, not necessarily from James himself. Not sure if James ever replied to the rumor, but I would have been pretty pissed off if one of my people let that type of thing leak out. Happens all the time, though-sometimes with the OK of the star, too.

Jeter used to collect the cell phones of people who came into his home...on the other hand, Mark Sanchez literally got caught on a phone camera with his pants down by some girls he was with one time.

Anthony has rebounded, at least in my eyes, and things are pretty good going into the pre-season, by he still has some slip-ups, and needs to be more thick skinned in dealing with things said about him. Not sure he should reply to anyone on social media, or if he has someone else doing that for him he should monitor their responses more often.

Hopefully the new season and some success puts this kind of stuff into the background.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
ChuckBuck
Alba Posts: 11
Member: #3806
USA
10/5/2015  9:55 AM
Hope that's the goal. If he's the best 2 way player in camp, and can just stick his paws high in the air for defense, then I want to see the twin towers in action.

Melo's best bet is at the 3, any mistakes he makes defensively should be able to be covered by 14 feet of RoLo and KP.

Begley: Fisher considering KP as a starter

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy