[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Pre-season game thread: October 7th. vs. Paschoalotto/Bauru (Brazil).. Madison Square Garden @ 7:30pm
Author Thread
KEEPCAMBYNY
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #86
USA
10/8/2015  11:59 AM
BRIGGS wrote:
ChuckBuck wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
nixluva wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
GoNyGoNyGo wrote:I came away impressed with Melo, Galloway, Grant, Quinn and Seraphin. KP will be fine. He sure can shoot it. My guess is he is a 5 down the road. The Knicks are stacked up front.

Calderon looked Healthy and quicker. Galloway's shot looks more fluid. Grant can break down the D and sets up others very well. Rolo looked good. Nice touch around the rim.

Lance Thomas - Eh.
DWill - OK. Expected more but physically gifted for sure.
Vujacic - will help. Good Smart Vet- this year's Shved.

I think this team will be good. Still getting burned by 3's.

Yeah I know KP can shoot but hes a 5 man and should train that way. No player has ever played on the wing at 7-3 hes to big. Set picks post play 8 footers and in put backs etc... he should score at 55%+
I only saw the whole 4th Q didnt see 1-3 didnt know it was on tv!

There have been quite a few bigs who shot from 3pt range as well as posting up!!! Don't see how it's different for KP!

I dont mind if he takes 1-2 but --and now I didnt see him play--but Im getting the suspicion that he sat out there--and that is exactly what I was talking about in many posts. we DO NOT want KP as a steve Novak

He wasn't planted out there. It was off Pick and Roll or more accurately Pick and Pop 3 pointers of Jerian drive and kick.

waste of time. Take a look at Walter Tavares at 7-3 last night 5-5 inside in 11 minutes. KP is 7-3 he should be playing close.

You mean this Walter Tavares:

I bleed orange and blue for life.
AUTOADVERT
mreinman
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3189

10/8/2015  12:01 PM
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
ChuckBuck wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
nixluva wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
GoNyGoNyGo wrote:I came away impressed with Melo, Galloway, Grant, Quinn and Seraphin. KP will be fine. He sure can shoot it. My guess is he is a 5 down the road. The Knicks are stacked up front.

Calderon looked Healthy and quicker. Galloway's shot looks more fluid. Grant can break down the D and sets up others very well. Rolo looked good. Nice touch around the rim.

Lance Thomas - Eh.

Yeah I know KP can shoot but hes a 5 man and should train that way. No player has ever played on the wing at 7-3 hes to big. Set picks post play 8 footers and in put backs etc... he should score at 55%+

There have been quite a few bigs who shot from 3pt range as well as posting up!!! Don't see how it's different for KP!

I dont mind if he takes 1-2 but --and now I didnt see him play--but Im getting the suspicion that he sat out there--and that is exactly what I was talking about in many posts. we DO NOT want KP as a steve Novak

He wasn't planted out there. It was off Pick and Roll or more accurately Pick and Pop 3 pointers of Jerian drive and kick.

waste of time. Take a look at Walter Tavares at 7-3 last night 5-5 inside in 11 minutes. KP is 7-3 he should be playing close.

I think its time for you to retire. You are clearly not in touch with todays game.

And, watch the game before you make wild assumptions.

Ive never seen anyone so obsessed with another poster as you are with Briggs.

Briggs is at least partially right, but it not about just shooting 3s. If KPs game is shooting 3s then the other team can stick a fast wing on him and he's just another chucker. When KP can establish a post game the other team will be forced to put a big on him. When that happens KP's ability to shoot and draw his defender away from the basket will have a big impact. Until that happens having a 7'3 guy jacking jumpers is nothing more than cute. In that role Briggs is right, KP is a waste of time. Lets see him score in the post and pressure the defense.

LivingLegends recap was excellent.

basically ... watch the game and you can then judge (if you'd like) in regards to the way he is being used.

No player should just stand around at 23 feet (or 30 FEET) .... duh! Every should come within the flow of the offense. You need to capitalize on every mismatch and take the efficient shots that the defense gives you. If that ends up being a layup, great! If its a 3, also great.

The last thing that I want to see is him taking Jason Smith jumpers (15-23 feet). That would be terrible. Some shots between 8-15 feet I can live with but not too many of those. Just enough to keep the defense honest.

The problem that I have with briggs is that he thinks he knows everything yet he does not and for some reason can't see the dynamic changes of todays game. I think that most of the good posters on this site (and there are many) probably disagree with him 90 percent of the time.

Anyone who has seen a lot of KP knows that his stroke is priceless and it would be a crime to limit him and his range in any way. Repeat such rhetoric in every single post is just plain annoying and misleading, especially when you missed the game.

so here is what phil is thinking ....
Paris907
Member: #6099
USA
10/8/2015  12:21 PM
To reinman: Thanks for the catch. Not Lopez meant Calderons. KNICKS stArting to be as diverse as the Spurs with. Latvian, Frenchman, Sasha, and a Spaniard.
mreinman

10/8/2015  12:24 PM
Paris907 wrote:To reinman: Thanks for the catch. Not Lopez meant Calderons. KNICKS stArting to be as diverse as the Spurs with. Latvian, Frenchman, Sasha, and a Spaniard.

they all look the same to me

blkexec
Member: #748
10/8/2015  12:53 PM
So let's define big.....that definition will change based on the age or era that person represents. I don't understand why only a few posters are fixated on what KP should be doing instead of what he does naturally. Hes not some Shawn Bradley stiff who sits in the paint. How come nobody talked about Novak going in the post and shooting less 3s. He's also 7.0 tall. That's KP right now but more fluent. He has an all around game. He's not 1 dimensional. But if you only read stats and drool over the Spurs without watching your own team.....ur feedback is irrelevant. KP has the potential to be better than a post player. Could be the best player in his prime. Remove the barriers and Let him grow.
Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
10/8/2015  1:18 PM

From poster Clyde_Style over on realgm, thought it was good:

Said it in the game thread. Grant will start because all Fish did was set up the scenario, correctly IMO.

He said that outside of Melo and Lopez, starting positions are not guaranteed and he'll play whomever deserves it.

That set up the situation where he starts the two least likely starting guards in the game he can afford to do it the most, first PS game.

That gives the two vets the opportunity to perform as a sign of respect.

But Fish knows Grant, Galloway and AA are better than Calderon and Sasha. And Calderon and Sasha know it too.

Everyone saves face.

The outside scenario would be if Calderon and Sasha were amazing. Then you'd have a good problem on your hands, not only because you get depth, but you could fantasize about trading away Jose's contract. But that had about as much a chance of happening as Tom Cruise replacing Fish as the coach.

So you get to scratch them off the list and move on.

Psychology 101 = All bases covered, all egos handled, all options explored

Grant will be the starting PG and AA or Gallo will be next to him.

Since AA may be an ideal 6th man, we might see Grant/Gallo as starters.

Opening games with them = a powerful defensive starting unit. I think that is smart.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
10/8/2015  1:28 PM
Exactly Blk. Let him be himself and keep doing what he's been doing to get him to this point. You can say that about any rookie but he is unique at his size. like I said to Briggs when we drafted him, thtrowing too many things at him at once is going to be toonoverwhelming and typical of the previous Knicks regimes. There's enough pressure from the fans and media. Let him be himself early on. This year is about helping him adapt to the NBA game. Teach him all the fundamental like where to be on offense. Show him what his options are when he has the ball in his hands. Focus on his conditioning and light core/weight training. Later in the year or next season slowly start to work on his post moves. Would've loved it if Olajuwon wasn't on the Rockets staff to show him elite footwork in the post.

I know it's hard for us to fully understand everything that goes into the development of a highly touted rookie prospect because we don't play professionally. But don't you think he has enough on his plate already? You want him to become Kareem Abdul jabbar in year one? You don't develop a great postgame in a couple of weeks. It takes time and yea off making daily post game adjustments in practice. That is why they pay coaches. He will struggle at first and force the issue ala Amare. You will hurt his confidence and risk him losing confidence in the things that got him to this point. Then the fans will boo and mock him. The media will tear him apart and oh wait he is still only 20yrs old! That is putting way too much on his plate right now. It's not about teaching him all these moves and poor he will instinctively know exactly what move to pull out of his hat!

mreinman

10/8/2015  1:33 PM
gunsnewing wrote:Exactly Blk. Let him be himself and keep doing what he's been doing to get him to this point. You can say that about any rookie but he is unique at his size. like I said to Briggs when we drafted him, thtrowing too many things at him at once is going to be toonoverwhelming and typical of the previous Knicks regimes. There's enough pressure from the fans and media. Let him be himself early on. This year is about helping him adapt to the NBA game. Teach him all the fundamental like where to be on offense. Show him what his options are when he has the ball in his hands. Focus on his conditioning and light core/weight training. Later in the year or next season slowly start to work on his post moves. Would've loved it if Olajuwon wasn't on the Rockets staff to show him elite footwork in the post.

I know it's hard for us to fully understand everything that goes into the development of a highly touted rookie prospect because we don't play professionally. But don't you think he has enough on his plate already? You want him to become Kareem Abdul jabbar in year one? You don't develop a great postgame in a couple of weeks. It takes time and yea off making daily post game adjustments in practice. That is why they pay coaches. He will struggle at first and force the issue ala Amare. You will hurt his confidence and risk him losing confidence in the things that got him to this point. Then the fans will boo and mock him. The media will tear him apart and oh wait he is still only 20yrs old! That is putting way too much on his plate right now. It's not about teaching him all these moves and poor he will instinctively know exactly what move to pull out of his hat!

but this is not just about letting him get there.

there is no reason to remove any dynamic parts to his game such as his range. Anthony Davis is now shooting 3's, is that stupid? Of course not! It makes him less guardable, stretches the floor, and makes him more efficient.

gunsnewing
USA
10/8/2015  1:44 PM
I agree with that. The starting lineup is going to be Lopez, KP, Melo & Grant. Starting SG will go to AA or Galloway. Who ever earns it by playing well and whatever Fisher determine is best for their team chemistry and synergy. He may very well see AFFALO as his best option to provide instant offense, experience and leadership off the bench. Gallo is a better savvy playmaker and ballhandler whicb should lead to great synergy with Melo, KP & Grant in the triangle. He has to shoot well though otherwise Affalo will start for his 3pt prowess to he'll stretch the floor. AA is a little behind the 8ball so I expect them to start Galloway early on if I had to choose
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

10/8/2015  3:58 PM
gunsnewing wrote:You dont want him to plant himself in the paint all game right now. He is not ready to bang physically. Let's not ruin his career right out of the gate. Patience

Yea, I don't remember Minnesota telling Garnett to live inside the paint. You have put KP in the spots he's most comfortable right now. I'm sure he'll start to camp out in the low post as he gets stronger. The first thing I'd like to see him do is develop enough of a post game so that he'Lloyd be able to score over smaller defenders. I can see opposing coaches sticking a smaller wing on KP to try and minimize his face up game.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
mreinman

10/8/2015  4:08 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:You dont want him to plant himself in the paint all game right now. He is not ready to bang physically. Let's not ruin his career right out of the gate. Patience

Yea, I don't remember Minnesota telling Garnett to live inside the paint. You have put KP in the spots he's most comfortable right now. I'm sure he'll start to camp out in the low post as he gets stronger. The first thing I'd like to see him do is develop enough of a post game so that he'Lloyd be able to score over smaller defenders. I can see opposing coaches sticking a smaller wing on KP to try and minimize his face up game.

in europe KP took smaller guys right into the post as soon as they were forced to switch on him.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

10/8/2015  4:21 PM
mreinman wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

in europe KP took smaller guys right into the post as soon as they were forced to switch on him.

I know, but that's Europe. Here he's going to face 6'8" guys as faster than the fastest guy in his league and stronger than the strongest guy on his team. He'l adjust , but it'll take some time.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
mreinman

10/8/2015  4:24 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
mreinman wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

I know, but that's Europe. Here he's going to face 6'8" guys as faster than the fastest guy in his league and stronger than the strongest guy on his team. He'l adjust , but it'll take some time.

he has the speed, now he is adding the weight.

fishmike
Member: #298
USA
10/8/2015  4:47 PM
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
ChuckBuck wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
nixluva wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:

Lance Thomas - Eh.

I think its time for you to retire. You are clearly not in touch with todays game.

Briggs is at least partially right, but it not about just shooting 3s. If KPs game is shooting 3s then the other team can stick a fast wing on him and he's just another chucker. When KP can establish a post game the other team will be forced to put a big on him. When that happens KP's ability to shoot and draw his defender away from the basket will have a big impact. Until that happens having a 7'3 guy jacking jumpers is nothing more than cute. In that role Briggs is right, KP is a waste of time. Lets see him score in the post and pressure the defense.

basically ... watch the game and you can then judge (if you'd like) in regards to the way he is being used.

No player should just stand around at 23 feet (or 30 FEET) .... duh! Every should come within the flow of the offense. You need to capitalize on every mismatch and take the efficient shots that the defense gives you. If that ends up being a layup, great! If its a 3, also great.

The last thing that I want to see is him taking Jason Smith jumpers (15-23 feet). That would be terrible. Some shots between 8-15 feet I can live with but not too many of those. Just enough to keep the defense honest.

The problem that I have with briggs is that he thinks he knows everything yet he does not and for some reason can't see the dynamic changes of todays game. I think that most of the good posters on this site (and there are many) probably disagree with him 90 percent of the time.

Anyone who has seen a lot of KP knows that his stroke is priceless and it would be a crime to limit him and his range in any way. Repeat such rhetoric in every single post is just plain annoying and misleading, especially when you missed the game.

I actually saw the whole game. Not sure your point there. Until he plays in the post and his scoring is a threat there then he's not going to impact the game. His true value in that jumper is pulling other bigs out of the paint. Right now you can put any 3 or 4 on him. Whoop de doo.

90% of the good posters dont disagree with Briggs. You guys disagree. He seems ok with it. You seem to obsess. Generally when I read your posts you seem more intent on disproving a Briggs point than making one of your own. Just a friendly observation. I mean if KP was on a different team and the Knicks were playing that team who would put on KP? The answer is anyone. Could be Melo starting at PF, and until KP posts Melo and beats him in the paint he's just shooting long jumpers. What you WANT is to force Lopez to guard KP, because KP is shooting over the smaller player (thus the comments on establishing post). When that happens then you force Lopez, your best rim protecter out of the paint because KP has that range. Follow? Chicken and egg.

What made Ewing a great player was whoever defended him had to come out to guard him, and that player was always a big because of Ewing's post game. What took Dirk to the next level was learning to score in the paint, so defenses couldnt put fast smalls on him. But was basketball different than and that doesnt work anymore? Dont see it that way

KP should be playing like a frontcourt player, not floating around for jumpers. Maybe Im not a good poster but thats how I see it

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
mreinman

10/8/2015  4:58 PM
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
ChuckBuck wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
nixluva wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:

Lance Thomas - Eh.

I actually saw the whole game. Not sure your point there. Until he plays in the post and his scoring is a threat there then he's not going to impact the game. His true value in that jumper is pulling other bigs out of the paint. Right now you can put any 3 or 4 on him. Whoop de doo.

90% of the good posters dont disagree with Briggs. You guys disagree. He seems ok with it. You seem to obsess. Generally when I read your posts you seem more intent on disproving a Briggs point than making one of your own. Just a friendly observation. I mean if KP was on a different team and the Knicks were playing that team who would put on KP? The answer is anyone. Could be Melo starting at PF, and until KP posts Melo and beats him in the paint he's just shooting long jumpers. What you WANT is to force Lopez to guard KP, because KP is shooting over the smaller player (thus the comments on establishing post). When that happens then you force Lopez, your best rim protecter out of the paint because KP has that range. Follow? Chicken and egg.

What made Ewing a great player was whoever defended him had to come out to guard him, and that player was always a big because of Ewing's post game. What took Dirk to the next level was learning to score in the paint, so defenses couldnt put fast smalls on him. But was basketball different than and that doesnt work anymore? Dont see it that way

KP should be playing like a frontcourt player, not floating around for jumpers. Maybe Im not a good poster but thats how I see it

you seem more obsessing with me obsessing over other posters (your buddy?) than responding.

Of course we want him to be a dynamic player! Who the hell said anything about camping him out? Thats insane! He should be able to score from everywhere and guess what he can. He has a strength issue that is being address and he is a couple of years away (though most fans need him to be perfect yesterday SMH).

Did you see the threes that he took yesterday? He took 3 of them in not that many minutes. Should that not be part of his offense?

Do you want him to be Kevin Mchale? Or do you want him to be KP?

This kid needs to be groomed to score from everywhere and that is what they are doing (IMHO). This is a new era of 3's and layups. Listen to every broadcast and you will here about it. It was mentioned 20 times yesterday in the broadcast and Fisher mentioned it as well in the post game.

ALL PLAYERS SHOULD BE ABLE TO SCORE FROM EVERYWHERE ... and they should stay away from those mid range shots as much as possible unless we have guys who can hit them at a ridiculous rate.

Many fans on UK have moved into the new age. Some are stuck in the 70's and they continue to push 70's ideas that are completely dated.

Should Anthony Davis be shooting 3's? He is ... would that have happened 20 years ago? Prolly not.

gunsnewing
USA
10/8/2015  5:16 PM
That's a good point but that's not how the Knicks are using him right now. I think they are protecting him and knowing his body can't take anoounding yet. And they want to keep things simple and just let him play his game in year 1. Depending on the situational matchup we will see him play some post, out on the perimeter shooting open 3's off passes from Melo and taking the ball to the hole. He will have to learn to be dominate in the post and use his height eventually when his body can take a pounding
mreinman

10/8/2015  5:23 PM
gunsnewing wrote:That's a good point but that's not how the Knicks are using him right now. I think they are protecting him and knowing his body can't take anoounding yet. And they want to keep things simple and just let him play his game in year 1. Depending on the situational matchup we will see him play some post, out on the perimeter shooting open 3's off passes from Melo and taking the ball to the hole. He will have to learn to be dominate in the post and use his height eventually when his body can take a pounding

the stronger he gets the more he can dominate in the post. The last thing I want to see though is a guy only playing in the post taking only sky hooks. I want to see him everywhere. The question is do our fans have the patience to wait. I have seen where when he sits out a game people question if we should not have drafted him because he was hiding an injury. Expecting him to come in and dominate the post before building himself up for a couple of years is plain silly.

The 3's off the pick and pops yesterday were perfect plays and makes him a great high pick man. Tyson set picks but who respected his shot? Nobody! It was roll and dunk or nothing.

I want KP to score from everywhere on the floor (efficient areas of course).

gunsnewing
USA
10/8/2015  5:34 PM
Yea slender big men benefit from the hook shot because they can't use their bodies to post bigs hi are built like tanks. Thats what KP will have to revert to if we plant him in the post in year 1
gunsnewing
USA
10/8/2015  5:39 PM
I want to see him post up like Pau Gasol and use his strength in a few years. Definitely don't want him planting himself in the post in year 1 and shooting wide hook shots like Samuel Dalembert
mreinman

10/8/2015  5:40 PM
gunsnewing wrote:Yea slender big men benefit from the hook shot because they can't use their bodies to post bigs hi are built like tanks. Thats what KP will have to revert to if we plant him in the post in year 1

where was karnetts hook shot? A Davis? Dirk?

Nobody is hooking anymore for a reason.

Pre-season game thread: October 7th. vs. Paschoalotto/Bauru (Brazil).. Madison Square Garden @ 7:30pm

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy