9/11/2015  9:46 PM
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
AUTOADVERT
nixluva
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #758
USA
9/11/2015  10:07 PM
Watching a lot of highlights Willy reminds me of a modern version of Bill Laimbeer. He has that same body type. Moves the same way. Very agile and quick but not the most explosive guy, but still highly effective and skilled. Great stash for next year.
StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

9/11/2015  10:20 PM
I like this kid. Still raw but he has shown good flashes for the most part
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

9/12/2015  7:33 AM    LAST EDITED: 9/12/2015  7:37 AM
I love this kid lol. I just hope when he comes over his game comes with him. These Spaniards tend to regress when they come over here, then become world beaters for Team Spain
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Finestrg
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1069

9/12/2015  7:33 AM    LAST EDITED: 9/12/2015  7:37 AM
StarksEwing1 wrote:I like this kid. Still raw but he has shown good flashes for the most part

Me too.. So interested to see what we have here with this guy -- Nikola Pekovic/Tiago Splitter? A lighter/quicker version of Mitch McGary maybe? He looks more spry & nimble than those guys.. I definitely see a contributor -- coordinated & capable, runs the floor real well and that post game looks pretty advanced already (moves and footwork).

Finestrg
Member: #1069

9/12/2015  9:21 AM
You know, another pretty good player I see Hernangomez having some similarities with -- Enes Kanter. Imagine if this dude develops into a player close to Kanter, maybe with better defense?? I'll take that..
EnySpree

9/12/2015  10:33 AM
Finestrg wrote:You know, another pretty good player I see Hernangomez having some similarities with -- Enes Kanter. Imagine if this dude develops into a player close to Kanter, maybe with better defense?? I'll take that..

Tiago Splitter and Varejao jump out at me. He's still a kid though. He seems to have the drive to get better. I follow him all over social media. I like the kid. When Pau and Marc retire he's going to be ready to take their place.

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
9/12/2015  10:41 AM
EnySpree wrote:
Finestrg wrote:You know, another pretty good player I see Hernangomez having some similarities with -- Enes Kanter. Imagine if this dude develops into a player close to Kanter, maybe with better defense?? I'll take that..

Tiago Splitter and Varejao jump out at me. He's still a kid though. He seems to have the drive to get better. I follow him all over social media. I like the kid. When Pau and Marc retire he's going to be ready to take their place.

Don't really know either of those players, haven't watched non-Knicks basketball in a long time, but Hernangomez reminds me of an offensive version of Charles Oakley, but perhaps only because he is big and can't really jump. Don't know if Hernangomez has a 15-18" jumpshot but his hands seem really good and it looks like he can finish around the rim. He runs the floor and at least puts in a ton of energy on the defensive end albeit perhaps not as productive on that side of the court. Young kid and I hope he can move his feet on D. Exciting prospect.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
nixluva
USA
9/12/2015  10:48 AM

Eyes Kanter with better D is a good Comp! It's just more evidence that Phil and his staff do know talent. Which shouldn't be surprising given that Phil brought in Clarence Gaines Jr. who was a top scout with the Bulls. The Dude lives scouting and has scouted for Triangle capable players for years. Sometimes players like Willy aren't sexy but you have to look deeper than pure athletic ability which can make a player look very impressive to the eye. There's more to scouting players. Here are his notes on scouting he did of Steve Nash back in the day.

Steve Nash vs. Ga. Tech & Marbury on 12/30/95. Heart and soul of this team. Keeps them organized and flowing. Very good passer - passes on a level plane. Efficient passer-makes the easy play. Excellent bounce passes. Love his passing instincts. Able to drive the ball up the floor under intense pressure - ability to organize and initiate an offense. Knows how to control tempo. Competes. Up to the challenge of going against Marbury. Able to penetrate into the lane, but I question if he can make plays in the lane. Comfortable using left hand in the lane. Have questions about him defensively. How well he can change directions and recover. Liked his competitiveness against Marbury. Kept going at him. Did a good job against a tough player. Couldn't really control Marbury, but not many can. Stats were not impressive, but he knows how to help his team win. Very interested in seeing more of him, especially in an All-Star format.

The last report I wrote on Steve Nash was after he played in the Desert Classic (4/96) in Phoenix.

Impresses with performance in Phoenix. Middle 1st round pick. Played through a sore left hamstring. Leader - talks and communicates. Very good skills. Excellent ball handling abilities - protects and values the ball. Right handed, but has a strong left hand. Can run the break. Delivers easy to handle passes. Keeps his dribble. Very good shooter - drills open shots. Will not hesitate to take the open shot off the dribble if his man sags in the passing lane. Good blend between involving others and asserting self. Good feel for the game. Smart player who makes excellent decisions. Makes the game easy. Makes simple plays. Deceiving quickness and speed. Can penetrate and has the ability to make plays in the lane. Utilizes a crossover to free self up - effective finisher with both hands. Physical strength is through his butt & legs. Impressed with him on the defensive end. Can really cover. Low center of gravity. Strong base. Quick feet and retreats quickly. Applies good pressure on the ball. Disrupting Barry. Works hard defensively. Big guards can easily extend over him. He is a small 6'2" in terms of vertical extension (8') and wing span(6'4"). Stellar free shooter--career avg. of 86%. Solid player who is not a viable option for us given our current makeup. Should follow his career closely. He plays our style of basketball.

http://cgscoutperspective.blogspot.com/2011/03/reflections-saturday-night-123095-in.html

EnySpree

9/12/2015  11:26 AM
martin wrote:
EnySpree wrote:

Don't really know either of those players, haven't watched non-Knicks basketball in a long time, but Hernangomez reminds me of an offensive version of Charles Oakley, but perhaps only because he is big and can't really jump. Don't know if Hernangomez has a 15-18" jumpshot but his hands seem really good and it looks like he can finish around the rim. He runs the floor and at least puts in a ton of energy on the defensive end albeit perhaps not as productive on that side of the court. Young kid and I hope he can move his feet on D. Exciting prospect.

I see the Oakley comparison. Moves alot like him. Kid is very fundementally sound. He's not out there jumping out the gym. He's banging. He's not dropping the shoulder or throwing elbows. He's sealing off space with his body. I love that. Very exciting kid.

martin
USA
9/12/2015  11:34 AM
EnySpree wrote:
martin wrote:
EnySpree wrote:

I see the Oakley comparison. Moves alot like him. Kid is very fundementally sound. He's not out there jumping out the gym. He's banging. He's not dropping the shoulder or throwing elbows. He's sealing off space with his body. I love that. Very exciting kid.

Knicks will have a decent front court rotation: KP, Lopez, OQuin, Willy. Nothing flashy outside of the KP potential but it's solid. Bigs and PGs and all star talent are the hardest to get; Melo and Grant are the only other 2 long term contracts, so it's a start.

EnySpree

9/12/2015  12:33 PM
martin wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
martin wrote:
EnySpree wrote:

Knicks will have a decent front court rotation: KP, Lopez, OQuin, Willy. Nothing flashy outside of the KP potential but it's solid. Bigs and PGs and all star talent are the hardest to get; Melo and Grant are the only other 2 long term contracts, so it's a start.

Don't forget Seraphin. That guy is on the cusp of being good too. Knicks are on to something. Love to see how the pieces settle. If everyone plays well what do you do?

martin
USA
9/12/2015  12:38 PM
EnySpree wrote:
martin wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
martin wrote:
EnySpree wrote:

Don't forget Seraphin. That guy is on the cusp of being good too. Knicks are on to something. Love to see how the pieces settle. If everyone plays well what do you do?

I don't expect Seraphin to be Knicks player beyond this year. And if everyone plays well, it's a good problem to have.

nixluva
USA
9/12/2015  4:53 PM
martin wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
martin wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
martin wrote:
EnySpree wrote:

I don't expect Seraphin to be Knicks player beyond this year. And if everyone plays well, it's a good problem to have.

I agree. I think the idea is to just keep upping the talent level and letting them battle it out for a spot in the rotation. Just a lot of solid quality players throughout the roster. We haven't had this many quality bigs who are in their prime or just getting it going in a while. Good potential.

StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

9/12/2015  6:22 PM
nixluva wrote:
martin wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
martin wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
martin wrote:
EnySpree wrote:

I agree. I think the idea is to just keep upping the talent level and letting them battle it out for a spot in the rotation. Just a lot of solid quality players throughout the roster. We haven't had this many quality bigs who are in their prime or just getting it going in a while. Good potential.

yeah its nice to finally have some younger bigs with upside. KP, hermangomez, seraphin, and even lopez is relatively young. I forgot oquinn who i like too
nixluva
USA
9/13/2015  1:43 AM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
martin wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
martin wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
martin wrote:
EnySpree wrote:

yeah its nice to finally have some younger bigs with upside. KP, hermangomez, seraphin, and even lopez is relatively young. I forgot oquinn who i like too

Phil wasn't about to go another season with a weak front court. He knows how important big men are and especially with his system. He also wanted more defense and toughness inside and on the boards. These guys are very physical big men and we also have KP who has the shooting touch to boot. Even a guy that people don't have much faith in, DWill brings a power game attacking the rim with force. We need those Power Dunks in games to hype the team and crowd up as well. I think fans will be pleasantly surprised by the bigs on this team.
callmened
Member: #4234

9/14/2015  1:26 PM
i see mason plumlee (but below the rim)
Knicks should be improved: win about 40 games and maybe sneak into the playoffs. Melo, Rose and even Noah will have some nice moments however this team should be about PORZINGUS. the sooner they make him the primary player, the better
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
9/14/2015  3:39 PM
Tiago Splitter 2.0.
anrst
Member: #1054
USA
9/14/2015  3:41 PM
those alligator arms... that's all i can see and think about
knicks1248
Member: #582
9/14/2015  3:58 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:I like this kid. Still raw but he has shown good flashes for the most part

That sounds like every rookie player in the league, i need to see more than flashes.

ES
Hernangomez highlights

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy