[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

I Trust You Are All Rooting For Coco Vandeweghe
Author Thread
ChuckBuck
Alba Posts: 11
Member: #3806
USA
9/2/2015  8:47 AM
Coco has probably the best perspective and most honest view of Melo as a player. She's watched him since the 1st day he turned pro! Watched his highs and lows during his 13 year career.

Coming from a sports legacy family, you usually identify quickly who's soft who's not. The saying goes "Real recognize real!"

Her father drafted Carmelo Anthony, so she should know out of anybody.

AUTOADVERT
Moonangie
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #2788

9/2/2015  8:49 AM
I was gonna say "how did David Lee make it to royalty status"?
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
9/2/2015  11:29 AM    LAST EDITED: 9/2/2015  11:31 AM
ChuckBuck wrote:Coco has probably the best perspective and most honest view of Melo as a player. She's watched him since the 1st day he turned pro! Watched his highs and lows during his 13 year career.

Coming from a sports legacy family, you usually identify quickly who's soft who's not. The saying goes "Real recognize real!"

Her Uncle is Kiki, but still in the family. Her mother won a U.S. national swimming championship in the backstroke (and competed in the 1976 Summer Olympics). Its in her blood. They go hard.

As a side note, Kiki did some good things in Denver but he passed on Amare TWICE opting to draft Skita and Nene instead. That aside, he is Vice PResident of Operations for the NBA and had a great NCAA career and NBA career!

Kiki's uncle was an NBA allstar as well!!!!
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/hutchme01.html

jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
9/2/2015  11:31 AM
Nalod wrote:
ChuckBuck wrote:Coco has probably the best perspective and most honest view of Melo as a player. She's watched him since the 1st day he turned pro! Watched his highs and lows during his 13 year career.

Her Uncle is Kiki, but still in the family. Her mother won a U.S. national swimming championship in the backstroke (and competed in the 1976 Summer Olympics). Its in her blood. They go hard.

As a side note, Kiki did some good things in Denver but he passed on Amare TWICE opting to draft Skita and Nene instead. That aside, he is Vice PResident of Operations for the NBA and had a great NCAA career and NBA career!

And he was still softer than Coco's own implants, and her brain for that matter.

Stick to tennis and STFU about the NBA.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

9/2/2015  1:08 PM
If she marries Robin Lopez her name will be Coco Lopez. Another frustrated Knicks fan, I like her!
Moonangie
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #2788

9/2/2015  3:53 PM
I'll root for her to make an appearance on the ALBA thread, but that's about it. And she's too butch to make much headway in that field of play.

But it would be sweet to see her give Serena a run for the money.

knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
9/2/2015  3:58 PM
EnySpree wrote:
dk7th wrote:
doomed wrote:That's not only an ill-informed opinion of Melo it's an awful one. Melo is soft? Quite an indictment.

So basically any player that doesn't win an NBA title is soft? Because that's pretty much all Melo has yet to accomplish.

Fans can be very dumb. Saying Melo is soft is just lazy and untrue. She should only speak her mind when she doesn't have something stupid to say.

hear hear!!

She wants to talk soft....

how did this turn into a melo thread is beyond belief

ES
holfresh
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1081

9/2/2015  5:29 PM
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

9/2/2015  6:58 PM
That first post made it a Melo thread.

She played very soft today btw.... maybe next year

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
TPercy
Member: #5748

9/2/2015  9:49 PM
doomed wrote:That's not only an ill-informed opinion of Melo it's an awful one. Melo is soft? Quite an indictment.

So basically any player that doesn't win an NBA title is soft? Because that's pretty much all Melo has yet to accomplish.

Fans can be very dumb. Saying Melo is soft is just lazy and untrue. She should only speak her mind when she doesn't have something stupid to say.

+1

The Future is Bright!
FireWoodson
Member: #5899

9/2/2015  9:55 PM
1) As others have pointed out, Coco has every right to comment on Melo. And she possesses an insight into Melo that would be far keener than basketball media talking heads. I'll take what Coco says about Melo over what anybody else says. I hope she says more about him.

2) As others have pointed out, Coco has quality sports running through her veins. Hard to find an athlete with a better sports pedigree than Coco.

3) She lost today. It happens. Not ready for prime time just yet. Just wait till next year, though.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
9/2/2015  10:32 PM
FireWoodson wrote:1) As others have pointed out, Coco has every right to comment on Melo. And she possesses an insight into Melo that would be far keener than basketball media talking heads. I'll take what Coco says about Melo over what anybody else says. I hope she says more about him.

2) As others have pointed out, Coco has quality sports running through her veins. Hard to find an athlete with a better sports pedigree than Coco.

3) She lost today. It happens. Not ready for prime time just yet. Just wait till next year, though.

Was hoping for a happy 20th thread for old man Kristaps.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
9/3/2015  1:19 AM
arkrud wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
Nalod wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
Nalod wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
EnySpree wrote:Call me ignorant but why is Vandeweghe royalty?

Ernie Vandeweghe

And how exactly is he considered royalty. To me, Ernie Grunfeld should be held to a higher standard and he's not Knicks royalty.

I know he used to play for the Knicks in its beginning years but Royalty? I remember it was cool when Kiki got here...but Royalty? Nah

Local boy becomes all American, plays for knicks in its beginning and goes on to a successful life. Academic and athletic achievement.
CoCo on the big stage at US open with local roots. Maybe the Vandeweghe family is NY royalty with knick roots.

Royalty though? That's a bit ridiculous.

I think it's cool that 3 people from that family in a span of 60 something years managed to play pro sports other than that nothing much to see.

Or be an Olympian? Damn, Dr Ernie like an original Knick, its all good.

Shitty as this franchise has been for the majority of its existence, dude is royalty compared to a lot of guys that have passed thru.

Still not a good enough reason to call that family name royalty.

All is relative.
In small pond even lobster is a fish.

Not to go off topic.... but no they ain't.

“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
H1AND1
Member: #5648

9/3/2015  11:04 AM
FireWoodson wrote:1) As others have pointed out, Coco has every right to comment on Melo. And she possesses an insight into Melo that would be far keener than basketball media talking heads. I'll take what Coco says about Melo over what anybody else says. I hope she says more about him.

Of course she has every right to comment on Melo. Anyone can comment on anything they want, that's called freedom of speech. However, with that freedom comes other's freedom to speak about what you spoke about and say it was stupid if that's what they think. I must've missed what she said about melo but im assuming she bashed him in some way since it made it's way into a completely unrelated thread.

I think its hilarious for some reason that you are so intent on hearing Coco Vandeweghe's musings on any topic whatsoever. Because her pops and uncle were Knicks back in the day? Really? We have to drop everything and worship at the feet of a 20 year old tennis player named Coco? Ha.

EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

9/3/2015  1:05 PM    LAST EDITED: 9/3/2015  1:06 PM
I just find it odd that a pro would call another soft. Usually they don't go that route. There's a fraternity. They respect each other especially if they don't play that sport.

If anyone is soft is Coco. She was very mediocre in the us open. Her smashing her racket looks very immature. She needs to stay in here lane. Maybe take some tennis lessons or get into pro shape

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
9/3/2015  1:40 PM    LAST EDITED: 9/3/2015  1:41 PM
In the context of a reporter asking her about her favorite team after she upset no. 11 in July:

After 23-year-old CoCo Vandeweghe pulled off an upset over No. 11 Karolina Pliskova in the second round on Wednesday, it was time to head to the media room. Reporters always ask the basic questions. Then, they tend to see what they can stir up.

At some point in talking to media about the win, the topic turned to the New York Knicks.

It wasn't a complete surprise – Vandeweghe's grandfather, Ernie Vandeweghe, was a Knick. Her uncle, Kiki Vandeweghe, is a former Knick, coach and G.M. and is now the NBA's V.P. of basketball operations. He's the one that drafted Carmelo Anthony to the Denver Nuggets in 2003.

Anthony is now on the Knicks, a.k.a. CoCo's favorite team.

So, CoCo has more than one connection to Melo, in a way. And when asked about the team, she made it clear that she's not impressed with the current star.

"I just feel that Carmelo, he is a bit soft," she said. "And now, this is just my own personal opinion, I think he is soft. I don't think he has a killer instinct in his eyes, at least this last year. And I also think he needs people around him that have that killer instinct, because then that brings it out of you. And with him taking such a high salary, I think that kind of handcuffs the Knicks in being able to get those types of players that are getting big contracts. There's no way around that."

CoCo doesn't just want more for the Knicks. She also wants more for herself. She's currently ranked No. 47 in the world.

"I want to be top 20 this year," she added. "I want to be No. 1 in the world, why not? It's just the kind of mindset I was brought up with."

Later Wednesday, CoCo tweeted that she couldn't believe media was taking her Melo comments so seriously."Love how writers are blowing this out of control!" she wrote, followed by laughing and clapping emojis.

In the press conference, she added something with which most Knicks fans would agree. "I just want one winning season. That would be nice."

Most fans have said similar.........She is a Knick fan.

ChuckBuck
Alba Posts: 11
Member: #3806
USA
9/3/2015  2:40 PM
Nalod wrote:In the context of a reporter asking her about her favorite team after she upset no. 11 in July:

After 23-year-old CoCo Vandeweghe pulled off an upset over No. 11 Karolina Pliskova in the second round on Wednesday, it was time to head to the media room. Reporters always ask the basic questions. Then, they tend to see what they can stir up.

At some point in talking to media about the win, the topic turned to the New York Knicks.

It wasn't a complete surprise – Vandeweghe's grandfather, Ernie Vandeweghe, was a Knick. Her uncle, Kiki Vandeweghe, is a former Knick, coach and G.M. and is now the NBA's V.P. of basketball operations. He's the one that drafted Carmelo Anthony to the Denver Nuggets in 2003.

Anthony is now on the Knicks, a.k.a. CoCo's favorite team.

So, CoCo has more than one connection to Melo, in a way. And when asked about the team, she made it clear that she's not impressed with the current star.

"I just feel that Carmelo, he is a bit soft," she said. "And now, this is just my own personal opinion, I think he is soft. I don't think he has a killer instinct in his eyes, at least this last year. And I also think he needs people around him that have that killer instinct, because then that brings it out of you. And with him taking such a high salary, I think that kind of handcuffs the Knicks in being able to get those types of players that are getting big contracts. There's no way around that."

CoCo doesn't just want more for the Knicks. She also wants more for herself. She's currently ranked No. 47 in the world.

"I want to be top 20 this year," she added. "I want to be No. 1 in the world, why not? It's just the kind of mindset I was brought up with."

Later Wednesday, CoCo tweeted that she couldn't believe media was taking her Melo comments so seriously."Love how writers are blowing this out of control!" she wrote, followed by laughing and clapping emojis.

In the press conference, she added something with which most Knicks fans would agree. "I just want one winning season. That would be nice."

Most fans have said similar.........She is a Knick fan.

Exactly. Coco's one of us. She's a die hard Knicks fan through and through and just wants them to succeed.

She's just stating the obvious.

FireWoodson
Member: #5899

9/3/2015  7:13 PM
EnySpree wrote:I just find it odd that a pro would call another soft. Usually they don't go that route.

Uhhh, hello, that's what made it great.

Aren't you sick and tired of every athlete saying nothing but tired and boring praise of every other athlete? My God, Derek Jeter always said nice things about every player on the Red Sox for ****'s sake! Have a backbone. At least Coco didn't give us the standard jock clichés when speaking of another athlete.

And as others here have pointed out, she's a die hard Knick fan. She said nothing different than what many a Knick fan feels. Good for her. She spoke her mind, she wasn't afraid to criticize a fellow athlete or her favorite team. Or do you prefer Wally Szerbiak doing post-game where the Knicks lost by 45 and he tells us how great the triangle was working?

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
9/3/2015  7:52 PM
FireWoodson wrote:
EnySpree wrote:I just find it odd that a pro would call another soft. Usually they don't go that route.

Aren't you sick and tired of every athlete saying nothing but tired and boring praise of every other athlete? My God, Derek Jeter always said nice things about every player on the Red Sox for ****'s sake! Have a backbone. At least Coco didn't give us the standard jock clichés when speaking of another athlete.

And as others here have pointed out, she's a die hard Knick fan. She said nothing different than what many a Knick fan feels. Good for her. She spoke her mind, she wasn't afraid to criticize a fellow athlete or her favorite team. Or do you prefer Wally Szerbiak doing post-game where the Knicks lost by 45 and he tells us how great the triangle was working?

Where is all the criticism for her talking about another athelete's salary. Thought that was an unwritten code and if you broke it, and she blatantly did, you should be bashed for the rest of your years walking on the planet.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
dk7th
Member: #4228
USA
9/3/2015  7:55 PM
FireWoodson wrote:

knicks postgames are just godawful. it's like dolan is the billy mumy character in that twilight zone episode.

knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
I Trust You Are All Rooting For Coco Vandeweghe

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy