EnySpree wrote:This is becoming the anti Alba thread

+1 Totally

AUTOADVERT
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
9/1/2015  2:01 PM
A good place to start with a rookie is teaching him defensive fundamentals, where to be on offense, defensive and rebounding. Those are realistic goals to set for a rookie without throwing to much at him at once. The physicality will come. He just has to keep strengthening his core and endurance but it won't happen overnight. Each year he will get better
nixluva
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #758
USA
9/1/2015  2:42 PM
gunsnewing wrote:A good place to start with a rookie is teaching him defensive fundamentals, where to be on offense, defensive and rebounding. Those are realistic goals to set for a rookie without throwing to much at him at once. The physicality will come. He just has to keep strengthening his core and endurance but it won't happen overnight. Each year he will get better

KP it turns out was more knowledgeable about the game than we were led to believe. He did actually play pro ball. He mentioned that his team played a similar defensive scheme to what he was taught in Summer League. He strikes me as a very intelligent young player. Just watching him find the open spaces on the floor with deft sidesteps it's clear he has a decent understanding of the game. He's not starting from a very poor base. He seems to be more clear on what he's doing than a lot of young guys tend to be.

It's gonna be very interesting to see how much he can absorb in his 1st year. On his own he figured out how to defend OK4 after getting manhandled at the start. Some players just get it and maybe KP is one of those guys.

blkexec
Member: #748
9/1/2015  2:56 PM    LAST EDITED: 9/1/2015  2:58 PM
Just curious.....Out of everybody that offered real basketball suggestions.....How many are real basketball players or have the knowledge and experience to coach real basketball players? Theres a lot of advice flying all over the place.

I've been around the block a few times.....should've played college (Engineering and girls was a higher priority) and was (informally) invited to an NBA camp. Eventhough I have a lot of basketball experience, I'm not going to put boundaries on any rookies. It's like planting a seed and tell it when, where and how much it should grow.....Just add vitamins and water.....sit back and leave it alone. The rest is father time, which is something you can't rush. I'm just happy we have a rookie (or two) that we can talk about, as far as being a cornerstone for this franchise. Hanging with Melo and all the other bruisers Phil brought in, will be the biggest impact on KP physically.

What I want to see is how he adapts mentally. Once players realize he has special skills physically, they will challenge him mentally. And this is where Euro players and American players are different. Euro leagues is all about skills and not very good at trash talking. American basketball isn't always a skillful game....some use verbal and physical abuse, which can be non basketball strategies. Theres the mental part of the game that he needs to pass (ex. Honey Nut Cheerios). He will get hit from all kind of Euro comments like Fredrick Weis to Barbs and anybody else that failed to make the Euro to American transistion. How he adapts to that is what I will be looking for. I don't care how big his biceps are. I've played with muscle guys before, and they can be pushed around just like everybody else. Especially if they are mentally weak.

After a hard foul, will his jumper and game increase or decrease. For example, my game improves when I play against trash talkers. Or players that try to be physical. But I know others that can't take it, so thats what players attack the most.....Especially skilled players like KP. He will be tested and once he shows weakness, that weakness will spread to other nba players. Thats something you cant teach or practice.....It comes with NBA experience / time playing in this american basketball culture. This is probably why most NBA players use Rucker Park as a test.....American born players will always have a leg up, when it comes to trash talking or non basketball tactics (pushing, holding, your momma jokes, whatever..... But Phil brought in enough bruisers on this team at the 4 and 5 spots to guard his mental growth, which is a good thing. Phil built this team to help KP succeed and relieve Melo from all the big man intangibles. Now Melo just has to do what he does best....Score! And KP can use his first year to assess himself for the following year.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
nixluva
USA
9/1/2015  3:52 PM
blkexec wrote:Just curious.....Out of everybody that offered real basketball suggestions.....How many are real basketball players or have the knowledge and experience to coach real basketball players? Theres a lot of advice flying all over the place.

I've been around the block a few times.....should've played college (Engineering and girls was a higher priority) and was (informally) invited to an NBA camp. Eventhough I have a lot of basketball experience, I'm not going to put boundaries on any rookies. It's like planting a seed and tell it when, where and how much it should grow.....Just add vitamins and water.....sit back and leave it alone. The rest is father time, which is something you can't rush. I'm just happy we have a rookie (or two) that we can talk about, as far as being a cornerstone for this franchise. Hanging with Melo and all the other bruisers Phil brought in, will be the biggest impact on KP physically.

What I want to see is how he adapts mentally. Once players realize he has special skills physically, they will challenge him mentally. And this is where Euro players and American players are different. Euro leagues is all about skills and not very good at trash talking. American basketball isn't always a skillful game....some use verbal and physical abuse, which can be non basketball strategies. Theres the mental part of the game that he needs to pass (ex. Honey Nut Cheerios). He will get hit from all kind of Euro comments like Fredrick Weis to Barbs and anybody else that failed to make the Euro to American transistion. How he adapts to that is what I will be looking for. I don't care how big his biceps are. I've played with muscle guys before, and they can be pushed around just like everybody else. Especially if they are mentally weak.

After a hard foul, will his jumper and game increase or decrease. For example, my game improves when I play against trash talkers. Or players that try to be physical. But I know others that can't take it, so thats what players attack the most.....Especially skilled players like KP. He will be tested and once he shows weakness, that weakness will spread to other nba players. Thats something you cant teach or practice.....It comes with NBA experience / time playing in this american basketball culture. This is probably why most NBA players use Rucker Park as a test.....American born players will always have a leg up, when it comes to trash talking or non basketball tactics (pushing, holding, your momma jokes, whatever..... But Phil brought in enough bruisers on this team at the 4 and 5 spots to guard his mental growth, which is a good thing. Phil built this team to help KP succeed and relieve Melo from all the big man intangibles. Now Melo just has to do what he does best....Score! And KP can use his first year to assess himself for the following year.

I found it very interesting how up on American Culture KP is. Also that he mentions liking how Anthony Davis plays. Not many Euros i've ever heard make the kind of comments that KP makes. He really wants to be great and is absorbing American Styles like a sponge. My guess is that he'll benefit greatly from playing with his teammates and other NBA players this off season. Compare that to Bargs who doesn't really look to make friends with American Players and certainly isn't looking to adopt the culture at all. KP is all about that life. I'm just very pleased that he is that way. I was fearful before the draft that he was a major project and a kid that would have major cultural adjustments to make. KP is doing just fine from what I can see.
ESOMKnicks
Member: #6064

9/1/2015  4:05 PM
I am sure that trash talk and dirty play take place all over the Spanish league and the Euroleagues, so I doubt it would be a major issue for KP. Nor does he need muscle to be immediately effective in what he has shown some ability - spot up jump shots, drawing out the defensive big to guard him on the perimeter (and opening up space for Melo), setting picks, cutting to the basket, swooping in for put backs and other garbage baskets, plus blocking and altering shots on defense. They key for him is getting up enough strength not to get injured and working up his stamina to be able to play effectively for 30+ minutes.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
9/1/2015  4:14 PM
blkexec wrote:Just curious.....Out of everybody that offered real basketball suggestions.....How many are real basketball players or have the knowledge and experience to coach real basketball players? Theres a lot of advice flying all over the place.

basketball? how about athletic experience period? Heavier and stronger does not mean better, unless your a lineman in football, and even then there is a balance.

KP is a really fluid and natural athlete. Im really impressed by his grace. He's cat-like always landing on his feet. People want to turn him into a plodder. Lets just let him be the best BB player and athlete he can.

The right way to develop him is put him in a spot to succeed. Free him up for jumpers. Front the post on defense. Dont ask him to box out Dwight Howard or take charges from tractor trailer. Play hard.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
TheGame
Member: #1154
USA
9/1/2015  4:21 PM
Wow. KP looks like he added about 10 lbs of muscle in his arms and legs, and he still has two more months to work out before the start of the season. KP is going to be a tremendous player for us. The only thing that can stop him is injuries. The league has never seen a 7' 3" player with his athletic ability, jumpshot, and defensive instincts. I will go on record now as saying KP will be the best player in the draft.
Trust the Process
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
9/1/2015  4:52 PM
Some roids, rap music and southern barbeque the dude could be a monster in 6 mos!!!

Briggs, one year, and Jabbar as the bench mark. Patience!!!

blkexec
9/1/2015  7:07 PM
TheGame wrote:Wow. KP looks like he added about 10 lbs of muscle in his arms and legs, and he still has two more months to work out before the start of the season. KP is going to be a tremendous player for us. The only thing that can stop him is injuries. The league has never seen a 7' 3" player with his athletic ability, jumpshot, and defensive instincts. I will go on record now as saying KP will be the best player in the draft.

+1

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
dk7th
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #4228
USA
9/2/2015  12:21 AM

it's a game, isn't it? trying to suss whether another poster actually knows what they are talking about, meaning having played and been properly coached as well. then again, maybe there are those here who have never played but ave played other team sports and can transpose that experience onto basketball. then again, there may be those who have never been on a field of play in earnest who nonetheless see the game as those with "actual" experience understand it or see it.

like i said, it's a game.

knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
9/2/2015  11:55 AM
It would probably benefit the Knicks to give KP a long leash to use his wide toolkit of skills from the get-go.

I recall watching Durant as a rookie and all the talk about how he'd get beat up, how he wouldn't keep up as a SG, wouldn't be quick enough at that spot, etc. Well, as a 19 year old rookie, he averaged 34.6mpg, 20.3ppg and interestingly, took 5.6FTA.

Others have stated this before, but the guys we're benchmarking him against are HoFers or future HoFers. Maybe it's a testament to his potential - the sky's the limit for him. We shouldn't judge him on a normal development arc.

It'll be tough for Melo to swallow, but imagine if he comes out, guns blazing from game 1, and is so unstoppable that he's scoring 20pts in the flow of the offense? A month later he wins rookie of the month averaging 16ppg/2apg/4rpg/1bpg. Then imagine the first time Fisher calls a play for Melo as a decoy to get KP a jumper from the top of the key. And imagine if he makes the shot to win the game.

Similar to when the Admiral (just a few years removed from MVP and being scoring champ) was all of a sudden being regularly outperformed by this young whipper snappy named Tim Duncan.

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
H1AND1
Member: #5648

9/2/2015  12:08 PM
blkexec wrote: (informally) invited to an NBA camp.

What does that mean, exactly, if you don't mind me asking? Did you attend the camp? Feel free to not be specific about teams, years, whatever, Im simply curious. Also feel free to ignore my question, no worries.

nixluva
USA
9/2/2015  1:41 PM
technomaster wrote:It would probably benefit the Knicks to give KP a long leash to use his wide toolkit of skills from the get-go.

I recall watching Durant as a rookie and all the talk about how he'd get beat up, how he wouldn't keep up as a SG, wouldn't be quick enough at that spot, etc. Well, as a 19 year old rookie, he averaged 34.6mpg, 20.3ppg and interestingly, took 5.6FTA.

Others have stated this before, but the guys we're benchmarking him against are HoFers or future HoFers. Maybe it's a testament to his potential - the sky's the limit for him. We shouldn't judge him on a normal development arc.

It'll be tough for Melo to swallow, but imagine if he comes out, guns blazing from game 1, and is so unstoppable that he's scoring 20pts in the flow of the offense? A month later he wins rookie of the month averaging 16ppg/2apg/4rpg/1bpg. Then imagine the first time Fisher calls a play for Melo as a decoy to get KP a jumper from the top of the key. And imagine if he makes the shot to win the game.

Similar to when the Admiral (just a few years removed from MVP and being scoring champ) was all of a sudden being regularly outperformed by this young whipper snappy named Tim Duncan.

From your lips to the Basketball Gods ears. LOL I would love for something like that to happen. NY would go wild. I think in general as long as KP just does what he does he should find some reasonable success this year. He's a smart kid and he's gonna be surrounded by a quality group of vets who can help make things easier for him. I'm really pulling for this kid to be a success. He's one of the nicest guys I can remember us having and i'd hate to see the NY fanbase crush his spirit.
blkexec
9/2/2015  3:03 PM
H1AND1 wrote:
blkexec wrote: (informally) invited to an NBA camp.

What does that mean, exactly, if you don't mind me asking? Did you attend the camp? Feel free to not be specific about teams, years, whatever, Im simply curious. Also feel free to ignore my question, no worries.

This is one of the best questions I ever heard. Hard to ignore that. I was invited by an nba player who just had surgery. AC Green called him and asked if he was ready to play during the nba summer league games. We played together all year during his training and he said based on his assessment of my game.....if I dont get picked up by an nba team....I would definitely get an invite from an overseas team. At that time i was in my prime...like an old Mike James type. I couldnt be stopped and could guard multiple positions. But only 6 ft and a late bloomer....plus i was an engineer make overseas money... I turned it down. I used to get asked all the time why I didnt play college. I didnt have the confidence until after i graduated college. But Ive always played with nba and college pros. And even at 42.....Im still very good.....

I just needed that network I got to get in and show my skills. Defensive stopper.....shooter......passer..... creator. The only thing that stopped me was age and surgies.

Nalod
USA
9/2/2015  5:42 PM
Was this during AC Green's celibacy?
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
9/3/2015  1:26 AM
BRIGGS wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:
blkexec wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

He'll end up a 5. I just dont see a 7-3 260-265 pd perimeter player. If he can continue putting on nice muscle hell be a load and a half to contend with under the hoop.

Can we ever get a picture of him working inside the paint for goodness sakes?

Big baby can hold his own against any NBA big.....Please show me one muscle!

Muscle doesn't make you a dominate post player. Can't turn a square into a circle. KP has the skills to be a dominate player period. He will NEVER have a permanent NBA position. He will always play 2 or 3 positions......Think of a Euro version of Kevin Garnet, with a 3 point shot. Thats all the muscle he needs.

First off, his arms show clear definition. Secondly, adding muscle doesn't mean getting chiseled. He just needs to get a lot stronger. The weakest parts of his games are low post defense, rebounding and taking the ball to the rim, whether it's from driving or posting up. If KP and the Knicks and the fans want him to stay out of foul trouble, then he damn well better add some strength. Anyone who compares him to Larry Bird are being misguided. He needs to add strength to maximize his game. He doesn't have to look like Triple H. He just needs to get much improved base strength and add to his shoulders so he can absorb contact.

Exactly and this won't happen overnight like Briggs is suggesting. He body will mature both naturally and by working out/eating right. He won't be fully developed physically until he hits 24-25. He will not be pushed around by then. His core will be strengthened

If he is 20 a professional trainer could have him at absolute peak body condition in one year. That doesnt mean your game is peak but physically someone very good could easily get him there.

You are basing that on what research?

“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
Nalod
USA
9/3/2015  10:15 AM    LAST EDITED: 9/3/2015  10:18 AM
Allanfan20 wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:
blkexec wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

He'll end up a 5. I just dont see a 7-3 260-265 pd perimeter player. If he can continue putting on nice muscle hell be a load and a half to contend with under the hoop.

Can we ever get a picture of him working inside the paint for goodness sakes?

Big baby can hold his own against any NBA big.....Please show me one muscle!

Muscle doesn't make you a dominate post player. Can't turn a square into a circle. KP has the skills to be a dominate player period. He will NEVER have a permanent NBA position. He will always play 2 or 3 positions......Think of a Euro version of Kevin Garnet, with a 3 point shot. Thats all the muscle he needs.

First off, his arms show clear definition. Secondly, adding muscle doesn't mean getting chiseled. He just needs to get a lot stronger. The weakest parts of his games are low post defense, rebounding and taking the ball to the rim, whether it's from driving or posting up. If KP and the Knicks and the fans want him to stay out of foul trouble, then he damn well better add some strength. Anyone who compares him to Larry Bird are being misguided. He needs to add strength to maximize his game. He doesn't have to look like Triple H. He just needs to get much improved base strength and add to his shoulders so he can absorb contact.

Exactly and this won't happen overnight like Briggs is suggesting. He body will mature both naturally and by working out/eating right. He won't be fully developed physically until he hits 24-25. He will not be pushed around by then. His core will be strengthened

If he is 20 a professional trainer could have him at absolute peak body condition in one year. That doesnt mean your game is peak but physically someone very good could easily get him there.

You are basing that on what research?

"BriggaTronic induction cyber training"!

or the street version with dance!

ChuckBuck
Alba Posts: 11
Member: #3806
USA
9/3/2015  10:19 AM
Maybe Porzingis should freeze his nutsack too. Improve circulation in the nether regions to battle with 5s in 2 months!

Lebron does it!

nixluva
USA
9/7/2015  10:41 PM
SO... It turns out KP has been getting bigger this summer.

Five kilos.

That’s the amount of weight 7-foot-3 Kristaps Porzingis told his former big-man coach in Cajasol Seville he’s gained since starting the Knicks’ weight-training program five weeks ago.
Five kilos equals about 11 pounds. Audie Norris, who coached Porzingis last season in Spain, spoke to the 20-year-old Latvian he calls “Zinger’’ this weekend.
“The kid’s got a good appetite,’’ Norris told The Post in a phone interview. “He’s aware he has to put on weight. That’s going to be a big part of his pro career — to gain muscle. It will help him in the long run.’’

The skinny Porzingis was drafted with a listed weight of 233 pounds.
“He’s ecstatic, like a kid at Christmas,’’ Norris added of Porzingis’ summer training at the Knicks’ facility in Tarrytown. “He said, ‘It’s amazing how we got everything here. I don’t see how NBA players can become lazy and not work out with everything available to them.’ ’’

The 6-foot-9 Norris, who played three seasons for the Trail Blazers in the early 1980s, was hired by Sevilla essentially to work with Porzingis on his inside game. He also aided another Knicks draft pick — the less-heralded center Guillermo Hernangomez, whom team president Phil Jackson plucked with the 35th pick after buying it from the Sixers.
Norris, 54, calls Porzingis and Hernangomez his “young black lions.’’ Hernangomez will spend this season in Seville while all eyes in New York are on Porzingis, the controversial fourth-overall pick who was booed mercilessly on draft night.
Modal Trigger

Porzingis knows that he has to pack on the pounds if he is going to have long-term success in the NBA.

“I think he’s going to do very well his rookie season, because he has more confidence than fans really know,’’ Norris said. “The Knicks did a good job of looking at Kris in all aspects. I don’t think Phil would’ve wasted a high draft pick on somebody who wouldn’t contribute his first year.
“His work ethic is really, really high. Not trying to sound like an agent. I coached him and know his potential. He’s doing everything in his power to prove the fans who booed wrong.’’
Porzingis also has to prove himself to Jackson. The Zen Master told Charley Rosen in his online series Porzingis could prove too tall for his own good, not having a strong enough foundation, comparing him to 1990s draft-bust Shawn Bradley.

Norris’ mission was to make Porzingis comfortable inside.

“The first thing everyone knew about him is he’s a perimeter player who shot the ball well, but my focus was to improve his interior game, which he didn’t have,’’ Norris said. “He was all face-up jumper, 3-point shooter. We focused on a post-up game, jump hook, back to the basket.’’
And a bank shot.

“We had to develop with Kris was his turnaround jump shot off the glass,’’ Norris said. “He never shot a bank shot before. We worked on it and he got good developing it.’’
Porzingis scored on a banker from mid-range for his first points in July’s Las Vegas summer league.
“He called me to thank me for teaching him the bank shot,’’ Norris said. “I told him it’s a shot you’ll have the rest of his career. That was cool. Very proud.’’
Norris also had Porzingis play one-on-one in practice with guard Ben Woodside, who played at South Dakota State. It enabled Porzingis to work on staying low with his dribble, protecting the ball against smaller players. And it helped his lateral defense.

In 75 career games with Seville across three seasons, Porzingis averaged 8.1 points. He held up well in Vegas, averaging 10.5 ppg, as the starting center instead of what’s expected to be his natural position — power forward.

And unlike the Knicks’ most recent European player, the boorish Andrea Bargnani, Porzingis’ personality was refreshing. He’s amiable and his English is sharp. His presence in the locker room should be a bonus.

“Kristaps is definitely an extrovert,’’ Norris said. “He loved talking. Sometimes you can’t shut him up. Not one of the quiet guys. Kris wants information and he looks and asks for it. He wants to be better. He asks his teammates, coaches what can he do to get better. Not the silent type and very approachable.’’
Norris said he has a “strong foundation that’s stable’’ with both his brothers having played professionally in Europe. The Spanish season didn’t go smoothly as they finished .500 and coach Scott Roth was fired. But Porzingis showed leadership at age 19.

“A lot of young kids had to carry us,’’ Norris said. ”He encouraged teammates to work after practice with him. He didn’t like losing. He did everything to keep his teammate engaged.’’
In Las Vegas, Porzingis impressed as a shot-blocker who didn’t back down from physical play and scored as much inside as outside. But he didn’t rebound — something Norris says is not “emphasized” in Europe.

“He’s going to improve his rebounding, shot blocking and defense because he’s going to get bigger and stronger, no doubt,’’ Norris said.

Porzingis looks like he is adding muscle

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy