Author Thread
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

8/30/2015  4:09 PM
knickscity wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:There is no doubt that the Knicks have been professionally put back together. p J was diligent in who they got rid of and why who they kept/acquired and why. Now part 2 to see what works and what does not when it counts and go from there. overall I'm pleased with how Phil has done things. I can think of a couple of moves I would've done differently but that arm chair qb stuff.

Nitpicking about who Phil could or should have gotten is espn bull****. Everyone had a favorite player or a guy they would have wanted to sign.

I love being in a wait and see mode. I love waiting to see what guys will stick going forward. I love the professional approach. I love the foresight into the future.

It's great to not be so wrapped up in negativity. It's a shame that some posters are still trying to hold on to that. We should be rallying the troops. Phase 2 is in full effect

thats not fair dude. 99 percent of fans are happy with the offseason. I respect fans who love the knicks but arent afraid to be honest even if it isnt 150 percent positive

Being in wait and see mode is being cowardly as a fan. You're supposed to be optimistic and critical at the same time. I would love for this squad to make the playoffs, but it has too many components of players who either didnt make the playoffs on their previous teams or came off of down seasons themselves. I do think the roster is better than last years, and I do think this group is competent enough to play competitive basketball. But I dont see playoffs, as you need multiple all-star "caliber" players to qualify for that.
Honestly I'll be keenly watching the journey of Prozingis, the rest is merely bonus material.

The cowardly fan is the one that constantly complains about the same thing everyday even when that thing could be 15 years ago. The ones that don't even know who's on the roster or wow much their salaries are. Or the ones that say "the Knicks should have gotten michael jordan. How? That's Phil's job and he sucks!"....

Wait and see this year is alot of fun....time is ticking, but not time to spazz out yet

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
AUTOADVERT
StarksEwing1
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #4451

8/30/2015  4:11 PM
EnySpree wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:There is no doubt that the Knicks have been professionally put back together. p J was diligent in who they got rid of and why who they kept/acquired and why. Now part 2 to see what works and what does not when it counts and go from there. overall I'm pleased with how Phil has done things. I can think of a couple of moves I would've done differently but that arm chair qb stuff.

Nitpicking about who Phil could or should have gotten is espn bull****. Everyone had a favorite player or a guy they would have wanted to sign.

I love being in a wait and see mode. I love waiting to see what guys will stick going forward. I love the professional approach. I love the foresight into the future.

It's great to not be so wrapped up in negativity. It's a shame that some posters are still trying to hold on to that. We should be rallying the troops. Phase 2 is in full effect

thats not fair dude. 99 percent of fans are happy with the offseason. I respect fans who love the knicks but arent afraid to be honest even if it isnt 150 percent positive

I'm talking about guys that keep talking about Melo and trying find a reason to bash Phil for what they thought he should have been able to do.

"Aren't afraid to be honest"?

That annoys me because we're on the Internet. Guys here shoot from the hip all say including myself. I'm all for criticism when it calls for it, but we literally have nothing to complain about right now. If something is worth crying about I'll be the first one... For one my eyes are on Fisher. It's all about training camp and his roster management

to be fair there arent too many fans who complain just for the sake of it. There is a major difference between complsining and pointing out weaknesses. Personally im happy with the direction we are going in but there is a long way to go before everything is great. Next year will be up and down but thats ok. Next year is about showing progress and the rookies gaining experience and progresso themselves. 35 wins would be a success
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

8/30/2015  4:14 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
EnySpree wrote:

I'm talking about guys that keep talking about Melo and trying find a reason to bash Phil for what they thought he should have been able to do.

That annoys me because we're on the Internet. Guys here shoot from the hip all say including myself. I'm all for criticism when it calls for it, but we literally have nothing to complain about right now. If something is worth crying about I'll be the first one... For one my eyes are on Fisher. It's all about training camp and his roster management

to be fair there arent too many fans who complain just for the sake of it. There is a major difference between complsining and pointing out weaknesses. Personally im happy with the direction we are going in but there is a long way to go before everything is great. Next year will be up and down but thats ok. Next year is about showing progress and the rookies gaining experience and progresso themselves. 35 wins would be a success

Pointing out weakness is not complaining. That's basketball debate. We have plenty of weakness and question marks. That's what I call fun. We can talk basketball again

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
StarksEwing1

8/30/2015  4:17 PM
EnySpree wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
EnySpree wrote:

Pointing out weakness is not complaining. That's basketball debate. We have plenty of weakness and question marks. That's what I call fun. We can talk basketball again

true i just dont think there are many complainers as you think there is. Maybe one or two posters who are trying to stir the pot but thats it
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
8/30/2015  4:34 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
EnySpree wrote:

true i just dont think there are many complainers as you think there is. Maybe one or two posters who are trying to stir the pot but thats it
Have to disagree. The leadership 101 thread from earlier in the summer was a 13 page bashing thread. Same with Araton's educated guess article thread. Lots more but those just jump out as the two most ridiculous that I remember.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
8/30/2015  4:43 PM
35 wins may be progress but it's failure to me. I'm pretty sure it would be failure to the team as well. To assume basically only doubling the win total is a good result is rooting for failure IMO.

The team has an All Star talent, solid center, solid SG, quality bigs and quality guards. Nothing spectacular but you don't need spectacular in order to compete and be in the hunt for a playoff spot in the East. You need consistency if effort and execution. I believe this roster could achieve that.

StarksEwing1

8/30/2015  4:53 PM
nixluva wrote:35 wins may be progress but it's failure to me. I'm pretty sure it would be failure to the team as well. To assume basically only doubling the win total is a good result is rooting for failure IMO.

The team has an All Star talent, solid center, solid SG, quality bigs and quality guards. Nothing spectacular but you don't need spectacular in order to compete and be in the hunt for a playoff spot in the East. You need consistency if effort and execution. I believe this roster could achieve that.

its not rooting for failure its being honest. Look im the biggest knick out there but i try to call it like i see it. You arent jumping from 17 wins to 45 wins with the moves we made. If we did that i would do freakin cartwheels but its a Very tall order. We are rebuilding and it takes time. Going from 17 To 35 is a solid step and a fair one
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
8/30/2015  5:36 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
nixluva wrote:35 wins may be progress but it's failure to me. I'm pretty sure it would be failure to the team as well. To assume basically only doubling the win total is a good result is rooting for failure IMO.

its not rooting for failure its being honest. Look im the biggest knick out there but i try to call it like i see it. You arent jumping from 17 wins to 45 wins with the moves we made. If we did that i would do freakin cartwheels but its a Very tall order. We are rebuilding and it takes time. Going from 17 To 35 is a solid step and a fair one

That's my problem with your take. We're not going from 17 wins to anything. The 17 win team no longer exists. That team isn't the one starting this coming season. This isn't a year over year linear progression. We just revamped more than half the roster. The rotation is going to be almost completely different.

That amount of change is not normal. Just go back and compare the opening day starting lineup between last season and what it's likely to be this year. It's a lot different. That group failed on almost every aspect. That doesn't have to be this teams fate.

IMO this group has a better mental approach and could be much more successful since they aren't resistant to what they're being asked to do. Last years team didn't have to be as miserable as they were. Bad health and even worse attitudes torpedoed that season. A better attitude and some better health could make all the difference in the world.

dk7th
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #4228
USA
8/30/2015  5:51 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/30/2015  5:54 PM

predicting and rooting are two different things. i think they will win between 29-42 games and i will be rooting for them no matter the win total. all i want to see is the coach and the players working stuff out without any distractions, meaning no trade demands and grousing about minutes.

if however they win fewer than 29 games i will be deeply disappointed.

knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
TripleThreat
Member: #3997

8/30/2015  5:52 PM

Again, the issue of "context" comes into play.

Something Splat has said to you before, and something I've seen you consistently ignore when he brought it ups is that it's not like the other Eastern teams were standing still and standing pat as the Knicks try to get a better roster.

Nixluva, I really would love to see you break down how you see the Eastern Conference shakes out this year and which teams the Knicks are going to leapfrog to make the playoffs. A real cogent tactical breakdown of why the Knicks will grab that 8th seed over X number of teams, with some kind of reasoning that is consistent to how teams actually improve considering the modern era of the NBA.

BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
8/30/2015  6:17 PM
TripleThreat wrote:

Something Splat has said to you before, and something I've seen you consistently ignore when he brought it ups is that it's not like the other Eastern teams were standing still and standing pat as the Knicks try to get a better roster.

Nixluva, I really would love to see you break down how you see the Eastern Conference shakes out this year and which teams the Knicks are going to leapfrog to make the playoffs. A real cogent tactical breakdown of why the Knicks will grab that 8th seed over X number of teams, with some kind of reasoning that is consistent to how teams actually improve considering the modern era of the NBA.

This is the Eastern conference--almost any team sans the Sixers has a chance to make the 6-7-8 seed. This is the same typical non sense you continually use"it cant happen" the Knicks cant get another 1st round draft pick. The Knicks have no chance for an 8th seed. No TT as usual you have no clue and are obnoxious in seeking response.

RIP Crushalot😞
TripleThreat

8/30/2015  6:27 PM
dk7th wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:It's not "optimism" if it denies any type of "pragmatism"

what does this mean? other than agreeing with most of your points and observations, i wonder what you mean here?

what are your overall hopes and expectations for the team? i have no idea but have a range of 29 to 42 wins which is admittedly ridiculously large a range.

What I mean is this, let me give you an example.

Last offseason, if a Dallas fan said they have high hopes for a leap in improvement from Al Farouq Aminu and that they believe he could be a strong addition to the Mavericks rotation and provide length and defense and grit, there is actually some context and reason to believe it might be possible.

A) Rick Carlisle is an established coach with championship pedigree and has veteran experience across the league

B) The Mavericks are a stable organization with a team first "Alpha" franchise player willing to subvert his game for the best interests of the team

C) Aminu signed a short contract for the veteran's minimum, he was on the way to being out of the league because he could no longer ride on his old draft pedigree and his plus rebounding. He needed to change his game to stay in the league but there was the push of possibly running out of real NBA options and playing for a contract, two thing that have been shown to motivate players to make drastic changes to their game and approach to foster a team oriented approach.

D) Carlisle and the Mavericks had good luck and put in good solid work rehabiliting Vince Carter from the player he used to be when he was young to a helpful back of the rotation player playing to his limitations in his later career. Again, the issue of a player on the edge of the end of his career and the desire to fight for a new contract were in play.

E) Aminu was always a very rangy player who was willing to go out and bang and fight to clean the glass. No one was asking him to take a massive leap against what he already did do well.

F) With Shawn Marion gone, a path to minutes became available plus a need/role for Aminu emerged naturally.

If last offseason, if someone said, hey, I think Aminu can really help that Dallas team, there is actually CONTEXT, REASON, OPPORTUNITY and LOGIC behind that possible development. If Aminu went to a team that was unstable, had a lousy coach with a bad track record, if the team has no history of developing veteran players into more useful cogs into the greater machine, if he was stuck behind so many guys that he'd get no minutes, and someone said "Hey I think Aminu can be helpful" then that's not really optimism. It's just making **** up and following the "Because I said so" type logic.

When Nixluva applauds Phil Jackson signing Amundsom, Derrick Williams, O'Quinn, Lopez and drafting Zinger and then talks about how he can see Clem Early developing more this year, that's not optimism in my book because it denies "pragmatism" The Knicks don't have a great current history of developing their draft picks. There is no clear path to minutes to develop. Nothing in Early's showing so far makes it seem that he even understands the basic Triangle sets. Yet, if you question Nixluva on it, he'll call you a hater and say you have no idea of what you are talking about and why can't everyone just be "positive"

Another example is EnvySpree, who last preseason said he could see STAT starting, pushing over 30 minutes a game and pushing the entire season as a strong contributor, including some defense. In context, STAT has been injury prone in his Knicks career, when was the last time he played a full season. When was the last time he was seen as even competent on defense? What actual indicators in context lend to the idea that STAT could survive 30 minute a night without falling apart?

Everyone has a right to their own opinion. But my take, and it's not going to be popular for some to hear, is that it's easy to hide behind "optimism" when you don't understand how the league works. When you don't understand NBA draft history, how the marketplace operates, how teams trend towards certain players, why trades happen, and what are the basic team building methodologies out there.

Nixluva and many other cry out - Sign Greg Monroe, he'll be great and help the Knicks win. If you point out Monroe can't defend the rim and in order to get a rim protector, you'd pretty much cap out the Knicks, nixluva will say you don't know what you are talking about, that getting Monroe does not limit the Knicks free agency. ( In context, a starting NBA center through free agency is going to command 10-12 million a year, maybe more, signing Monroe and then signing another center to cover Monroe's inability to play pivot defense would have capped out the team. But Nixluva doesn't care and it doesn't matter to stop him from calling anyone else a hater because he doesn't actually understand what the market value of a free agent pivot rim protector is in the modern NBA marketplace. )

But many of these same guys will talk about Jerian Grant without consideration that rookies have an actual learning curve, that nearly all will not produce at a historic rate and many will hit a rookie wall or actually struggle in order to develop.

Then again, a lot of the guys here will have no idea why Aminu did turn his career around and, in context, how that will or will not apply to someone like Derrick Williams. Instead, you get threads saying Derrick Williams will be awesome! Why? BECAUSE THEY SAID SO. Not that there is any type of real context to how teams operate and players change and develop over time to give solid reasoning.

"You know if Person X stopped being an alcoholic and stopped drinking, they'd be a pretty good guy, a good dad and a good role model"

That is exactly what some guys here sound like. Like they are banking on a drunk stop being a drunk but without any real reason for the guy to stop drinking. Rehab? Near death experience? Born again religious? That would actual context, but why bother with that when you can just roll with "Because I said so"

Melo isn't fighting for a new contract. He's never had anything as a Knicks except being totally enabled. He's never shown any real consistency on defense. Yet you'll have guys say "Hey, Melo is going to step it up this year on defense" Under what actual practical context? What's more likely, a guy in his 13th season and after 30K minutes will continue to show the same Don't Try/So What defense he's always given? Or he will suddenly, without any kind of logical leverage or motivation, become an entirely different player? That's like asking a drunk to stop being an alcoholic when no other conditions around said person has actually changed to leverage them to stop drinking.

IMHO, folks who want to hide behind "optimism" without any real sense of pragmatism is just another gravy train ride to reaffirm that sometimes ignorance is bliss.

dk7th
Member: #4228
USA
8/30/2015  6:53 PM
TripleThreat wrote:
dk7th wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:It's not "optimism" if it denies any type of "pragmatism"

what does this mean? other than agreeing with most of your points and observations, i wonder what you mean here?

what are your overall hopes and expectations for the team? i have no idea but have a range of 29 to 42 wins which is admittedly ridiculously large a range.

What I mean is this, let me give you an example.

Last offseason, if a Dallas fan said they have high hopes for a leap in improvement from Al Farouq Aminu and that they believe he could be a strong addition to the Mavericks rotation and provide length and defense and grit, there is actually some context and reason to believe it might be possible.

A) Rick Carlisle is an established coach with championship pedigree and has veteran experience across the league

B) The Mavericks are a stable organization with a team first "Alpha" franchise player willing to subvert his game for the best interests of the team

C) Aminu signed a short contract for the veteran's minimum, he was on the way to being out of the league because he could no longer ride on his old draft pedigree and his plus rebounding. He needed to change his game to stay in the league but there was the push of possibly running out of real NBA options and playing for a contract, two thing that have been shown to motivate players to make drastic changes to their game and approach to foster a team oriented approach.

D) Carlisle and the Mavericks had good luck and put in good solid work rehabiliting Vince Carter from the player he used to be when he was young to a helpful back of the rotation player playing to his limitations in his later career. Again, the issue of a player on the edge of the end of his career and the desire to fight for a new contract were in play.

E) Aminu was always a very rangy player who was willing to go out and bang and fight to clean the glass. No one was asking him to take a massive leap against what he already did do well.

F) With Shawn Marion gone, a path to minutes became available plus a need/role for Aminu emerged naturally.

If last offseason, if someone said, hey, I think Aminu can really help that Dallas team, there is actually CONTEXT, REASON, OPPORTUNITY and LOGIC behind that possible development. If Aminu went to a team that was unstable, had a lousy coach with a bad track record, if the team has no history of developing veteran players into more useful cogs into the greater machine, if he was stuck behind so many guys that he'd get no minutes, and someone said "Hey I think Aminu can be helpful" then that's not really optimism. It's just making **** up and following the "Because I said so" type logic.

When Nixluva applauds Phil Jackson signing Amundsom, Derrick Williams, O'Quinn, Lopez and drafting Zinger and then talks about how he can see Clem Early developing more this year, that's not optimism in my book because it denies "pragmatism" The Knicks don't have a great current history of developing their draft picks. There is no clear path to minutes to develop. Nothing in Early's showing so far makes it seem that he even understands the basic Triangle sets. Yet, if you question Nixluva on it, he'll call you a hater and say you have no idea of what you are talking about and why can't everyone just be "positive"

Another example is EnvySpree, who last preseason said he could see STAT starting, pushing over 30 minutes a game and pushing the entire season as a strong contributor, including some defense. In context, STAT has been injury prone in his Knicks career, when was the last time he played a full season. When was the last time he was seen as even competent on defense? What actual indicators in context lend to the idea that STAT could survive 30 minute a night without falling apart?

Everyone has a right to their own opinion. But my take, and it's not going to be popular for some to hear, is that it's easy to hide behind "optimism" when you don't understand how the league works. When you don't understand NBA draft history, how the marketplace operates, how teams trend towards certain players, why trades happen, and what are the basic team building methodologies out there.

Nixluva and many other cry out - Sign Greg Monroe, he'll be great and help the Knicks win. If you point out Monroe can't defend the rim and in order to get a rim protector, you'd pretty much cap out the Knicks, nixluva will say you don't know what you are talking about, that getting Monroe does not limit the Knicks free agency. ( In context, a starting NBA center through free agency is going to command 10-12 million a year, maybe more, signing Monroe and then signing another center to cover Monroe's inability to play pivot defense would have capped out the team. But Nixluva doesn't care and it doesn't matter to stop him from calling anyone else a hater because he doesn't actually understand what the market value of a free agent pivot rim protector is in the modern NBA marketplace. )

But many of these same guys will talk about Jerian Grant without consideration that rookies have an actual learning curve, that nearly all will not produce at a historic rate and many will hit a rookie wall or actually struggle in order to develop.

Then again, a lot of the guys here will have no idea why Aminu did turn his career around and, in context, how that will or will not apply to someone like Derrick Williams. Instead, you get threads saying Derrick Williams will be awesome! Why? BECAUSE THEY SAID SO. Not that there is any type of real context to how teams operate and players change and develop over time to give solid reasoning.

"You know if Person X stopped being an alcoholic and stopped drinking, they'd be a pretty good guy, a good dad and a good role model"

That is exactly what some guys here sound like. Like they are banking on a drunk stop being a drunk but without any real reason for the guy to stop drinking. Rehab? Near death experience? Born again religious? That would actual context, but why bother with that when you can just roll with "Because I said so"

Melo isn't fighting for a new contract. He's never had anything as a Knicks except being totally enabled. He's never shown any real consistency on defense. Yet you'll have guys say "Hey, Melo is going to step it up this year on defense" Under what actual practical context? What's more likely, a guy in his 13th season and after 30K minutes will continue to show the same Don't Try/So What defense he's always given? Or he will suddenly, without any kind of logical leverage or motivation, become an entirely different player? That's like asking a drunk to stop being an alcoholic when no other conditions around said person has actually changed to leverage them to stop drinking.

IMHO, folks who want to hide behind "optimism" without any real sense of pragmatism is just another gravy train ride to reaffirm that sometimes ignorance is bliss.

okay thank you for taking the time and making the effort to clarify. i agree with you. out of curiosity i would like to know what your win prediction is. i have no idea but i have a range of anywhere between 29-42 wins.

you?

knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
CrushAlot
USA
8/30/2015  7:28 PM
TT, regarding your comments on STAT, I believe you have that wrong. Pretty sure what was said was just play the guy without minutes restrictions and if he breaks down he breaks down. This was following a season where Woodson was told to play him every other game for very limited minutes (10)? alternating with KMART. I believe STAT was the highest paid player in the nba last year. Going for it with him in the last year of his deal had some merit in my opinion.
TripleThreat

8/30/2015  11:13 PM
dk7th wrote:okay thank you for taking the time and making the effort to clarify. i agree with you. out of curiosity i would like to know what your win prediction is. i have no idea but i have a range of anywhere between 29-42 wins.

you?

Baseline, I'd "guessestimate" at 25-28 wins for the season

Things I believe will be factors in play

1) Most important, and I know Knicks fans don't want to hear this, but the number of injuries on other Eastern teams. While the Knicks did arm up and get better than last year ( no where to move but up right?) so did other Eastern teams. You get enough hits to teams like the Pacers losing Paul George and the Heat losing Chris Bosh, and it makes a difference

2) Scheduling. When the Knicks are facing a team on a back to back on the road, when the Knicks are home at MSG and rested, that too will make a big difference. Conversely, I'm not sure the Knicks will do well in the latter game of back to back sets, though Adam Silver has tried to limit the attrition of back to backs whenever possible.

3) Grant's possible regression as a rookie ( more likely to happen than not, I REALLY LIKE Grant, but he's a rookie, better to give him realistic expectations) OR one single backcourt injury will put Sasha V in the back end of the rotation. From a defensive standpoint, that's basically a kiss of death. I don't care how much positive smoke puff nixluva tries to blow up anyone's bunghole, the Knicks are very very shaky in the backcourt ( a rookie, a 2nd year guy who is basically a rookie, a veteran who has shown an early decline, a guy Phil can't trade and a guy who was hanging out the last two years out of the league)

4) Philly and Boston might no longer be outright tanking at this point. Boston actually looks like it can be far more competitive. Philly might win more games than it likes on accident, Noel is a legit DPOY candidate. Whereas the Knicks could rely on these teams to be soft kills in the past few years, not sure this year. Also Stan Van Gundy has really done a nice job with the Pistons. I think they are a very underrated "darkhorse" type team this year to really hurt other teams.

5) As much as everyone would like to laud the new guys, all these guys have to get time into the Triangle Offense. Again, I don't care what nixluva has to say about it because here's one solid irrefutable fact about actual modern NBA basketball - Teams with a core roster who have gelled together over time simply play better, esp in difficult conditions (injury, scheduling, poor stretches of play, use of the shot clock, overcoming inconsistent officiating) OVER TIME is a critical factor. The Hawks and Warriors didn't just jump out of nowhere, there was a true process at work, those players developed together over time, well at least more than the current Knicks.

6) With the cap jumping and a labor war looming, guys in the league want to get paid. Meaning this is the year to showcase their talent. Guys are going to push harder this year knowing there is a likely lockout in the offseason. Knicks will be facing a league full of guys all trying to jockey up and leverage up to get paid all those big TV dollars out there.

IF and it's a BIG IF, the Knicks scrapped the Triangle and played more like Jeff Hornacek's Suns, I'd see this as a 30-32 win team instead of my previous prediction. I believe the Triangle Offense really operates as a 5-7 game "tax" on what the Knicks can do otherwise in terms of results.

Yes, Nixluva will point out all the new addtions to the roster, but again I push the CONTEXT angle. Those players ALL WERE AVAILABLE FOR A REASON. And sadly the Knicks were likely not the first choice of any free agent out there with any real choices, no matter what they say to the press.

One thing I will agree with nixluva is it is a "process", the concept of team building. However my take is nixluva sees the Knicks about three years advanced into that process compared to where they practically stand at this point.

Last point I want to make, and this isn't directed at you dk7th. Whenever I get challenged about my projections or what I think of players, I often get mocked because I don't respond. It's because 95 percent of the time, those challenges come with spit, with insults, with personal attacks, with guys jockeying to ride me down. It's the same sad "Prove to me why you have a right to say anything" horse **** that happens on the Internet. However when I get a cogent practical question like you asked or Longmire asked in the past, I'll actually take the time to respond to anyone who approaches in that manner.

CrushAlot
USA
8/30/2015  11:33 PM
TripleThreat wrote:
dk7th wrote:okay thank you for taking the time and making the effort to clarify. i agree with you. out of curiosity i would like to know what your win prediction is. i have no idea but i have a range of anywhere between 29-42 wins.

you?

Baseline, I'd "guessestimate" at 25-28 wins for the season

Things I believe will be factors in play

1) Most important, and I know Knicks fans don't want to hear this, but the number of injuries on other Eastern teams. While the Knicks did arm up and get better than last year ( no where to move but up right?) so did other Eastern teams. You get enough hits to teams like the Pacers losing Paul George and the Heat losing Chris Bosh, and it makes a difference

2) Scheduling. When the Knicks are facing a team on a back to back on the road, when the Knicks are home at MSG and rested, that too will make a big difference. Conversely, I'm not sure the Knicks will do well in the latter game of back to back sets, though Adam Silver has tried to limit the attrition of back to backs whenever possible.

3) Grant's possible regression as a rookie ( more likely to happen than not, I REALLY LIKE Grant, but he's a rookie, better to give him realistic expectations) OR one single backcourt injury will put Sasha V in the back end of the rotation. From a defensive standpoint, that's basically a kiss of death. I don't care how much positive smoke puff nixluva tries to blow up anyone's bunghole, the Knicks are very very shaky in the backcourt ( a rookie, a 2nd year guy who is basically a rookie, a veteran who has shown an early decline, a guy Phil can't trade and a guy who was hanging out the last two years out of the league)

4) Philly and Boston might no longer be outright tanking at this point. Boston actually looks like it can be far more competitive. Philly might win more games than it likes on accident, Noel is a legit DPOY candidate. Whereas the Knicks could rely on these teams to be soft kills in the past few years, not sure this year. Also Stan Van Gundy has really done a nice job with the Pistons. I think they are a very underrated "darkhorse" type team this year to really hurt other teams.

5) As much as everyone would like to laud the new guys, all these guys have to get time into the Triangle Offense. Again, I don't care what nixluva has to say about it because here's one solid irrefutable fact about actual modern NBA basketball - Teams with a core roster who have gelled together over time simply play better, esp in difficult conditions (injury, scheduling, poor stretches of play, use of the shot clock, overcoming inconsistent officiating) OVER TIME is a critical factor. The Hawks and Warriors didn't just jump out of nowhere, there was a true process at work, those players developed together over time, well at least more than the current Knicks.

6) With the cap jumping and a labor war looming, guys in the league want to get paid. Meaning this is the year to showcase their talent. Guys are going to push harder this year knowing there is a likely lockout in the offseason. Knicks will be facing a league full of guys all trying to jockey up and leverage up to get paid all those big TV dollars out there.

IF and it's a BIG IF, the Knicks scrapped the Triangle and played more like Jeff Hornacek's Suns, I'd see this as a 30-32 win team instead of my previous prediction. I believe the Triangle Offense really operates as a 5-7 game "tax" on what the Knicks can do otherwise in terms of results.

Yes, Nixluva will point out all the new addtions to the roster, but again I push the CONTEXT angle. Those players ALL WERE AVAILABLE FOR A REASON. And sadly the Knicks were likely not the first choice of any free agent out there with any real choices, no matter what they say to the press.

One thing I will agree with nixluva is it is a "process", the concept of team building. However my take is nixluva sees the Knicks about three years advanced into that process compared to where they practically stand at this point.

Last point I want to make, and this isn't directed at you dk7th. Whenever I get challenged about my projections or what I think of players, I often get mocked because I don't respond. It's because 95 percent of the time, those challenges come with spit, with insults, with personal attacks, with guys jockeying to ride me down. It's the same sad "Prove to me why you have a right to say anything" horse **** that happens on the Internet. However when I get a cogent practical question like you asked or Longmire asked in the past, I'll actually take the time to respond to anyone who approaches in that manner.

I agree with you about Boston. I like their team a lot and they are coached and managed very well. It is a wait and see process with Philly but I am glad I am not a fan. Friends of mine that are sixers fans just watch the Flyers in the winter and follow the Sixers a little. Not sure what impact George had on the Pacers collapse two years ago but he at least was a part of things there. Reports of his hooking up with Hibbert's girl, getting caught in a catfish scheme I believe, and coming out and saying he wasn't sure he wanted Stephenson back don't look that great for him. Miami could be really good. SVG should have the Pistons playing better and is a great basketball mind. But I wouldn't discount the Knicks getting a healthy Melo and Calderon back. I love the additions to the team and I think the Knicks did a great job getting PPorzingis and Grant in the draft. I also love the subtractions from the team since Phil has been in place. I would love if N'Dour and Shved were coming to camp. Not sure about Early and pretty sure Thanasis isn't an nba player at this point. But I think the Knicks are headed in the right direction and compete in the east for a playoff spot.
mreinman
Member: #3189

8/30/2015  11:37 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:

This is the Eastern conference--almost any team sans the Sixers has a chance to make the 6-7-8 seed. This is the same typical non sense you continually use"it cant happen" the Knicks cant get another 1st round draft pick. The Knicks have no chance for an 8th seed. No TT as usual you have no clue and are obnoxious in seeking response.

he is talking about responsible predictions not silly optimism.

hey ... the knicks COULD sweep the season

so here is what phil is thinking ....
CrushAlot
USA
8/30/2015  11:51 PM
mreinman wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:

You don't think the Knicks compete for the 8th seed in the east? I think the Knicks definitely compete for the 8th seed. I also think they win at least 35 games.
mreinman
Member: #3189

8/31/2015  12:18 AM
CrushAlot wrote:
mreinman wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:

You don't think the Knicks compete for the 8th seed in the east? I think the Knicks definitely compete for the 8th seed. I also think they win at least 35 games.

they can win anywhere from 28 to 42 games. Can then get themselves competing for the eighth spot if everything clicks (which is highly unlikely)? sure

vegas money has them at 33. Good number.

so here is what phil is thinking ....
CrushAlot
USA
8/31/2015  12:21 AM
mreinman wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
mreinman wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:

they can win anywhere from 28 to 42 games. Can then get themselves competing for the eighth spot if everything clicks (which is highly unlikely)? sure

vegas money has them at 33. Good number.

I always thought any team with Melo on it could win at least 40 games in the east. But that was him carrying the team. There will be an adjustment period to the triangle but I think the knicks win at least 35.
knicks don't have one trouble maker

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy