[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Derrick Williams Will be the surprised player of the Knicks
Author Thread
Knicks1969
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5915

8/28/2015  4:39 PM
I know the dude has not done much since he was drafted, but I believe in his athletic ability. With the attention opposing teams will show Carmelo and perhaps Aflalo, Grant and Williams will find themselves wide open when they are on the court.

If this dude can simply improve his efficiency shooting the ball, and if he can show that he is able to run the offense, I believe we will have a winner in this dude. Defensively, I believe he is much better then what we've seen out of him.

Thank God Fisher is no longer our coach, now let's get Calderon out of here:)
AUTOADVERT
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
8/28/2015  6:08 PM
I agree that there's a chance for DWill to get his act together here in NY. This is a very defined system and his role will be clearer than it's ever been so far in his career. He's been in some awful situations to start his career. Wasn't developed properly. As a forward in this offense what he's likely to be asked to do should be pretty easy to define.

In the video below you see the Lakers running the Triangle with very little dribbling. Ball and Player movement does all the work. DWill is great at moving without the ball and finishing. He should be able to learn the cuts and find the open space on the floor just as he's done in the past but now it's actually defined in the offense and not just him making it up and getting lucky if his teammates see him.

Watch the cuts Odom, Artest and Barnes make and you can get a clear picture of what DWill will be asked to do. In addition to some perimeter looks for 3 and some flashing to the elbow for short jumpers.

StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

8/28/2015  6:46 PM
I hope a change of scenery helps. He was the only signing i didnt like mostly because of the money
nixluva
USA
8/28/2015  7:52 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:I hope a change of scenery helps. He was the only signing i didnt like mostly because of the money

It's very doable because really it's about him moving and the ball moving. If he makes the right cuts and his teammates make the right passes he is athletic enough to get a ton of great looks at the basket. He is working on his midrange jumpers right now and he should be seeing a ton of Elbow Jumpers off the Down Screen. He's working on his corner 3's and should see some of those in this offense off baseline cuts to the corner. The options will be there for him, but he has to execute.

EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

8/28/2015  8:02 PM
nixluva wrote:I agree that there's a chance for DWill to get his act together here in NY. This is a very defined system and his role will be clearer than it's ever been so far in his career. He's been in some awful situations to start his career. Wasn't developed properly. As a forward in this offense what he's likely to be asked to do should be pretty easy to define.

In the video below you see the Lakers running the Triangle with very little dribbling. Ball and Player movement does all the work. DWill is great at moving without the ball and finishing. He should be able to learn the cuts and find the open space on the floor just as he's done in the past but now it's actually defined in the offense and not just him making it up and getting lucky if his teammates see him.

Watch the cuts Odom, Artest and Barnes make and you can get a clear picture of what DWill will be asked to do. In addition to some perimeter looks for 3 and some flashing to the elbow for short jumpers.

Thank you for posting this. People take don't know wtf they are talking about when they trash the triangle. So many different looks. It's a matter of everyone getting familiar. It's beautiful to watch

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
nixluva
USA
8/28/2015  8:11 PM
EnySpree wrote:
nixluva wrote:I agree that there's a chance for DWill to get his act together here in NY. This is a very defined system and his role will be clearer than it's ever been so far in his career. He's been in some awful situations to start his career. Wasn't developed properly. As a forward in this offense what he's likely to be asked to do should be pretty easy to define.

Thank you for posting this. People take don't know wtf they are talking about when they trash the triangle. So many different looks. It's a matter of everyone getting familiar. It's beautiful to watch

Yeah it's amazing how much more there is to this style of play when everyone on the floor is familiar and knows how to setup the defense and use deception to fool the defense into thinking they know what you're gonna do and then BANG! You hit a cutting player right behind the D. They didn't have to have any breakdown dribble going on. Just moving, watching, anticipating and passing. It's all fluid too. These aren't plays as much as it's just them playing with the same mind on what they can do to the defense.

The team has to develop great chemistry by knowing the system and how to exploit the defense. You have to know the cuts like it's second nature and the passer already knows what is gonna happen and the guys without the ball know where the ball is gonna go. The longer you stay in this system the better you get at working together and the faster you get at moving and passing.

EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

8/28/2015  8:25 PM
nixluva wrote:
EnySpree wrote:

Yeah it's amazing how much more there is to this style of play when everyone on the floor is familiar and knows how to setup the defense and use deception to fool the defense into thinking they know what you're gonna do and then BANG! You hit a cutting player right behind the D. They didn't have to have any breakdown dribble going on. Just moving, watching, anticipating and passing. It's all fluid too. These aren't plays as much as it's just them playing with the same mind on what they can do to the defense.

The team has to develop great chemistry by knowing the system and how to exploit the defense. You have to know the cuts like it's second nature and the passer already knows what is gonna happen and the guys without the ball know where the ball is gonna go. The longer you stay in this system the better you get at working together and the faster you get at moving and passing.

There's always an option. That's the beauty in it. Just using imagination you can see how certain guys will fit. I can't wait to see it evolve

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
nixluva
USA
8/28/2015  9:25 PM
EnySpree wrote:
nixluva wrote:
EnySpree wrote:

There's always an option. That's the beauty in it. Just using imagination you can see how certain guys will fit. I can't wait to see it evolve

My friend, this is the key point. It's not about instant success. The offense will continue to evolve because it's not just a static set of plays. It's a way of playing and the players can add stuff as they wish. It's like Jazz. Everyone is doing their own thing but together and in harmony. You can work on little tweaks between players that become part of the system. The basic outline of the system is just the beginning. It's when everyone is in synch that you really get to see how great it is. The flow never stops since there never was a "PLAY" to begin with. You just flow from one moment to the next but you and your teammates know what you're doing.
Knicks1969
Member: #5915

8/28/2015  10:01 PM
EnySpree wrote:
nixluva wrote:
EnySpree wrote:

Beautiful basketball at its best

Thank God Fisher is no longer our coach, now let's get Calderon out of here:)
Finestrg
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1069

8/29/2015  1:16 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/29/2015  1:23 PM
The 3 biggest 'surprise' players for me: as mentioned D-Will, also Porzingis and Kevin Seraphin.

D-Will still has a ton of upside--I refuse to believe a guy 6'8" 240 with his skills will never make it in the NBA. I agree--this could be a big turnaround yr. for him. I'm thinking a change of scenery is just what the doc. ordered with this dude. It's nice that right off the bat, he has Phil in his corner praising his ability. That's big -- that alone should help boost his confidence which should already be high coming off the strong finish he had to the season last yr in Sacramento. We may have overpaid a little but I like the signing--a risk worth taking imho.

KP6, to me, remains a mystery. I still don't know how good he can be eventually, what he is exactly and how he'll be able to best help us. Will he be Maciej Lampe (a guy who never made it in the NBA--although truth be told, I was just looking at video and the talent still looks to be there with Lampe--looks like he filled out a lot and is now more effective around the basket from what I remember--it wouldn't surprise me if he eventually resurfaced in the NBA for some team in need of a big man), Bargnani or Tom Chambers/Dirk Nowitzki? OR something completely different from all those guys--he's obviously talented and taller than all of those players. I just hope he gets stronger/fills out enough, defines his game (no idea right now) and just flat out WANTS IT. I'm as optimistic as everyone yet very guarded at the same time. There's a lot of variables with him and that's just being truthful. Hopefully he does surprise and contributes in yr 1. It all remains to be seen with him--obviously he's gonna take some time to develop. He should be able to jump in and help out in some capacity right away though, so that's something to look forward to...

Seraphin, meanwhile, could be the biggest surprise. Was just reading a Washington fan's (aktriple) comments about Seraphin over on an nbadraft.net thread (http://www.nbadraft.net/forum/kevin-seraphin-2). Comments came while he was still a FA back in July before the Knicks picked him up:

"I don't know how/why no one has picked up this dude he is a very good big man who can contribute on a team and is a starting caliber player who could average 13 and 8 on a good team. Everybody is raving on about tristan thompson who is trying to get in excess of $80 mill from the cavs this year when theres a player who is just slightly worse than him for probably 60-65 mill cheaper available. He has a solid hook shot and is a great physical body and great at positioning himself for rebounds and blockig out his man. he even showed a little expanding mid range game at certain points in the season. would be a perfect pickup for a team like dallas,atlanta and portland. obviously as a wizards fan i want him back but i realise that he wants a bigger role and doesnt want to stuck behind gortat, nene, gooden and humphries on the end of their bench and i think he is more than deserving of a starting caliber role."

Interesting take all around. I agree with all of it--he very well could average 13 & 8 with enough PT, maybe more; I like the TT comparison and agree that Seraphin does look like a bargain when you consider the money that's been linked to TT; he definitely has broadened/expanded his game nicely (very good offensive potential here); I think it's true that he's good enough to not be buried behind those other bigs in Washington anymore and yeah, I think he could thrive in a starter role. How Phil put this roster together, I really thought we could've used another guard with the room exception to round things out but at the same time, I do like the Seraphin signing A LOT. Might not happen right away, but it wouldn't surprise me if this guy becomes a key player for us eventually and exceeds most fans' expectations.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

8/29/2015  2:59 PM
Haven't been impressed with Williams before or since joining the Knicks. The most important thing DWill needs to do is be prepared to possibly sit on the bench more than he thought he would. Be prepared to play hard on both ends of the court when his time does comes. Williams does that and he could become a key part of the second unit.
StarksEwing1

8/29/2015  6:13 PM
I had no problem signing him BUT i think we gave him a little too much considering he hasnt performed well as a former number 2 pick. Hopefully he reaches his potential here
nixluva
USA
8/29/2015  6:31 PM
I don't care about the money we gave DWill, as long as he plays hard. I anticipate this could be his best season playing on a team that needs scoring and a system that fits his style of moving without the ball. He's not going to be ignored that's for sure. It's up to him. This is his best opportunity.
StarksEwing1

8/29/2015  6:59 PM
nixluva wrote:I don't care about the money we gave DWill, as long as he plays hard. I anticipate this could be his best season playing on a team that needs scoring and a system that fits his style of moving without the ball. He's not going to be ignored that's for sure. It's up to him. This is his best opportunity.
thats been an issue with him.....playing hard. I still dont like the move but im hoping he does well
yellowboy90
Member: #3538

8/29/2015  7:45 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:I had no problem signing him BUT i think we gave him a little too much considering he hasnt performed well as a former number 2 pick. Hopefully he reaches his potential here

Plus he has a player option. I could see if it was a team option then if he plays well they have him locked in.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

8/30/2015  9:58 AM
yellowboy90 wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:I had no problem signing him BUT i think we gave him a little too much considering he hasnt performed well as a former number 2 pick. Hopefully he reaches his potential here

Plus he has a player option. I could see if it was a team option then if he plays well they have him locked in.

This signing definitely has Jerome James written all over it. The Knicks are my team and I want them Williams to do well. I just have a hard time believing in him when he's only performed decently in a few small stretches at a time.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
StarksEwing1

8/30/2015  10:09 AM
BigDaddyG wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:

This signing definitely has Jerome James written all over it. The Knicks are my team and I want them Williams to do well. I just have a hard time believing in him when he's only performed decently in a few small stretches at a time.
yeah i hope he proves us wrong but i never had a good feeling about it. Im much happier with the oquinn and seraphin signings
dk7th
Member: #4228
USA
8/30/2015  11:27 AM    LAST EDITED: 8/30/2015  12:01 PM
i understand the acquisition. although the advanced numbers on williams are very bad and he has been a classic negative-sum player, it may well be that he needs a system in which to become efficient. the issue for me is how willing he is to defend when he is out there. if he is a lazy defender then he has no business seeing anything but garbage minutes. he's basically in the same boat as cleanthony early-- you earn your minutes by defending.
knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
knicks1248
Member: #582
8/30/2015  11:30 AM    LAST EDITED: 8/30/2015  11:31 AM
EnySpree wrote:
nixluva wrote:
EnySpree wrote:

It takes a lot of practice, and guys need to be real focus. Williams is not a high IQ player, he's going to need time, just like the rest of his mates. You right NIX, theres many angles to run the triangle, but what i saw from the knicks/fishers version, is the same damn angle ever time, it became so predictable that a turnover was almost a given. Opposing teams would play the passing lane, knew where the ball would swing, it was a disaster, and thats putting it mildly.

For williams, fisher needs to capitalize on his strengths, he's not a good passer, ball handler or post up player, so please don't think you can use him like pipen, or odom.

His strengths are Back door cuts, trailing plays, finishing around the rim, and can knock down an open 3 every now and then. He should always be cutting to the basket off a down screen, and pray that he takes to the basket as oppose to settling for a 15 foot jumper like every player we had last season.

ES
nixluva
USA
8/30/2015  1:27 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
nixluva wrote:
EnySpree wrote:

It takes a lot of practice, and guys need to be real focus. Williams is not a high IQ player, he's going to need time, just like the rest of his mates. You right NIX, theres many angles to run the triangle, but what i saw from the knicks/fishers version, is the same damn angle ever time, it became so predictable that a turnover was almost a given. Opposing teams would play the passing lane, knew where the ball would swing, it was a disaster, and thats putting it mildly.

For williams, fisher needs to capitalize on his strengths, he's not a good passer, ball handler or post up player, so please don't think you can use him like pipen, or odom.

His strengths are Back door cuts, trailing plays, finishing around the rim, and can knock down an open 3 every now and then. He should always be cutting to the basket off a down screen, and pray that he takes to the basket as oppose to settling for a 15 foot jumper like every player we had last season.

It's always about the players. When we added Shved things were no longer so predictable. If a player only does the exact same basic actions it is predictable. That's not how the Triangle works. Remember the Triangle isn't about specific plays. It's a framework that gives the players the freedom to be creative but in an organized and uniform way so that everyone can be on the same page.

It's the players that have to make the on court decisions. They have to use deception to make the defense think they're going one way when the play is in the other direction. That's why I posted the video. Fish, Rambis n Cleamons aren't teaching it wrong!!! They know everything there is to know about the system. Let's not forget they were there with the Lakers when this video was made.

Derrick Williams Will be the surprised player of the Knicks

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy