nixluva
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #758
USA
8/30/2015  4:52 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
knickscity wrote:Even Phil acknowledged the only star caliber player on the team is Melo. It's role player throughout. Whether they can play their roles will determine the season we have. On paper, this team isnt winning more than 35. I dont see playoffs with this roster, but should be considerably better than last years squad. Thats the issue with Knicks fans at times, always overhyping their own and completely dissing other teams like they dont have good rosters at all. Then turn around and do it again the following season. We dont have a big man nearly as good as Nene, and Afflalo is no Bradley Beal. Rolo is nowhere near as good as Gortat. As good as Melo is, certainly better than anyone on the Wizards roster, he doesnt alone make up the difference in their roster and since he isnt a playmaker his impact isnt even as much as John Wall.
my thoughts exactly. 35 wins isnt being negative, its being honest. Actually 35 wins is a step in the right direction

I actually do think 25 or even 35 is low. It's not about what the team did last year. We have to assess the team based on the roster we have now. This roster has just enough quality to match up well with the bulk of the league. They have some upside on this roster which is the X Factor for just how successful they can be. It's a solid middle of the pack team IMO.

of course you think its low lol. How about 50?

I'm not always wrong in predicting it only seems that way. Besides I never said this team would win 50. I'm only suggesting they have a shot at making the playoffs. 35 wins is failure. You don't rebuild a roster with free agents and expect 35 wins. I'm not home but I'm gonna do a post more fully explaining my take on this team.

AUTOADVERT
StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

8/30/2015  4:57 PM
nixluva wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
knickscity wrote:Even Phil acknowledged the only star caliber player on the team is Melo. It's role player throughout. Whether they can play their roles will determine the season we have. On paper, this team isnt winning more than 35. I dont see playoffs with this roster, but should be considerably better than last years squad. Thats the issue with Knicks fans at times, always overhyping their own and completely dissing other teams like they dont have good rosters at all. Then turn around and do it again the following season. We dont have a big man nearly as good as Nene, and Afflalo is no Bradley Beal. Rolo is nowhere near as good as Gortat. As good as Melo is, certainly better than anyone on the Wizards roster, he doesnt alone make up the difference in their roster and since he isnt a playmaker his impact isnt even as much as John Wall.
my thoughts exactly. 35 wins isnt being negative, its being honest. Actually 35 wins is a step in the right direction

I actually do think 25 or even 35 is low. It's not about what the team did last year. We have to assess the team based on the roster we have now. This roster has just enough quality to match up well with the bulk of the league. They have some upside on this roster which is the X Factor for just how successful they can be. It's a solid middle of the pack team IMO.

I'm not always wrong in predicting it only seems that way. Besides I never said this team would win 50. I'm only suggesting they have a shot at making the playoffs. 35 wins is failure. You don't rebuild a roster with free agents and expect 35 wins. I'm not home but I'm gonna do a post more fully explaining my take on this team.

please do dont this the wrong way but i really do respect your optimistic outlook. Thats a compliment so please dont take offense. Im not trying to change your views either. However can we at least agree that making the playoffs next year will be tough? Im not saying they wont but at least agree its gonna be tough
nixluva
USA
8/30/2015  5:20 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:

please do dont this the wrong way but i really do respect your optimistic outlook. Thats a compliment so please dont take offense. Im not trying to change your views either. However can we at least agree that making the playoffs next year will be tough? Im not saying they wont but at least agree its gonna be tough

That is inferred by the way I have been stating all of my points. I've never once said it was a lock! My statements have been that the team has a chance to fight for a spot. If you read what ive said it's been about being in the hunt. There are no guarantees and never are. I do think there is a reasonable expectation when you have a decent starting unit. This team has enough to put a competitive starting unit on the floor.

Melo, Afflalo, RoLo, Jose and perhaps O'Quinn would be a competitive unit. There could be any combination of players between KP, Jerian or DWill that would still be a competitive unit and just enough off the bench to be in the mix for a playoff spot. The Knicks are the only team needing some luck and good health in order to secure a playoff spot.

nixluva
USA
8/30/2015  5:23 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/30/2015  5:25 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:

That is inferred by the way I have been stating all of my points. I've never once said it was a lock! My statements have been that the team has a chance to fight for a spot. If you read what ive said it's been about being in the hunt. There are no guarantees and never are. I do think there is a reasonable expectation when you have a decent starting unit. This team has enough to put a competitive starting unit on the floor.

Melo, Afflalo, RoLo, Jose and perhaps O'Quinn would be a competitive unit. There could be any combination of players between KP, Jerian or DWill that would still be a competitive unit and just enough off the bench to be in the mix for a playoff spot. The Knicks are NOT THE only team needing some luck and good health in order to secure a playoff spot.

knickscity
Member: #4241
USA
8/31/2015  5:42 PM
nixluva wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:

Melo, Afflalo, RoLo, Jose and perhaps O'Quinn would be a competitive unit. There could be any combination of players between KP, Jerian or DWill that would still be a competitive unit and just enough off the bench to be in the mix for a playoff spot. The Knicks are NOT THE only team needing some luck and good health in order to secure a playoff spot.

My guy, please look outside the window. Some teams have two all-star caliber players and barely cracked 45 and that was with a contributing HOf'er and a young player they were developing (Wizards).

Seriously if you think 35 is failure, I really wonder what your win expectations are. The team has to grow, learn the system and the NBA for a few guys and there is literally alot of role players and not the cream of the crop type. Everything can go perfect, I wouldnt rule that out, but I wont expect such. For insatnce, Melo has suffered some form of injury every single he's been a Knick. Do you expect him to be healthy for an entire year?

nixluva
USA
8/31/2015  7:27 PM    LAST EDITED: 9/1/2015  12:57 AM
knickscity wrote:
nixluva wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:

My guy, please look outside the window. Some teams have two all-star caliber players and barely cracked 45 and that was with a contributing HOf'er and a young player they were developing (Wizards).

Seriously if you think 35 is failure, I really wonder what your win expectations are. The team has to grow, learn the system and the NBA for a few guys and there is literally alot of role players and not the cream of the crop type. Everything can go perfect, I wouldnt rule that out, but I wont expect such. For insatnce, Melo has suffered some form of injury every single he's been a Knick. Do you expect him to be healthy for an entire year?

Most every team is actually winning based on the production of the top 6-8 players in their rotation. When you actually look at the teams the Knicks will be competing with it's much clearer what they have to get from the Knicks rotation players to be competitive. I was not comparing the Knicks with the Wiz, but rather the teams likely to be 6-14 in the East, but since you mentioned them.

2014-15
PLAYER GP GS MIN PPG OFFR DEFR RPG APG SPG BPG TPG FPG A/TO PER
John Wall, PG 79 79 35.9 17.6 0.5 4.2 4.6 10.0 1.75 0.57 3.8 2.3 2.6 19.9
Bradley Beal, SG 63 59 33.4 15.3 0.9 2.9 3.8 3.1 1.21 0.29 2.0 2.2 1.6 14.0
Marcin Gortat, C 82 82 29.9 12.2 2.2 6.5 8.7 1.2 0.60 1.34 1.2 2.3 1.0 18.3
Paul Pierce, SF 73 73 26.2 11.9 0.6 3.4 4.0 2.0 0.63 0.33 1.3 2.2 1.6 15.2
Nene Hilario, PF 67 58 25.3 11.0 1.3 3.9 5.1 1.8 0.99 0.33 1.9 2.7 1.0 14.3
Kris Humphries, PF 64 17 21.0 8.0 1.8 4.7 6.5 0.9 0.53 0.39 0.7 2.0 1.2 15.5
Rasual Butler, SF 75 1 20.1 7.7 0.4 2.3 2.6 0.8 0.39 0.29 0.6 1.3 1.3 11.4
Ramon Sessions, PG† 28 3 19.5 7.4 0.4 2.3 2.7 3.1 0.57 0.00 1.3 1.0 2.5 14.7

We can't say for sure who the top 8 players for the Knicks will be, but I think there's enough talent there to be competitive. IMO this ins't going to be a bottom feeding team.

2015-16 Knicks Estimate based on 2013-14 stats.  I'm using 2013-14 since last year was marred by injury for our top players.
Carmelo Anthony 77 77 38.7 27.4 1.9 6.2 8.1 3.1 1.23 0.66 2.6 2.9 1.2 24.5
Arron Afflalo 73 73 35.0 18.2 0.4 3.2 3.6 3.4 0.48 0.04 2.0 1.9 1.7 16.1
Robin Lopez, C 82 82 31.8 11.1 4.0 4.5 8.5 0.9 0.30 1.70 1.0 2.4 0.9 17.7
Jose Calderon 81 81 30.5 11.4 0.4 2.0 2.4 4.7 0.85 0.14 1.3 1.7 3.7 15.2
Langston Galloway, PG 45 41 32.4 11.8 0.8 3.4 4.2 3.3 1.16 0.27 1.4 2.9 2.5 12.4
Kyle O'Quinn ??
Kevin Seraphin ??
Derrick Williams ??
Kristaps Porzingis ??
Jerian Grant ??

I'm talking about the Knicks competing with this group of teams.

6. Toronto Raptors 7. Milwaukee Bucks 8. Boston Celtics
Proj. record: 44-38 Proj. record: 44-38 Proj. record: 40-42
Last season: 49-33 Last season: 41-41 Last season: 40-42

9. Indiana Pacers 10. Charlotte Hornets 11. Detroit Pistons 12. Brooklyn Nets 13. Orlando Magic 14. New York Knicks
Proj. record: 39-43 Proj. record: 35-47 Proj. record: 35-47 Proj. record: 30-52 Proj. record: 30-52 Proj. record: 25-57
Last season: 38-44 Last season: 33-49 Last season: 32-50 Last season: 38-44 Last season: 25-57 Last season: 17-65

Once again, i'm not suggesting Melo play 38.7 mpg.

TPercy
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #5748

9/1/2015  4:51 PM
CrushAlot wrote:Also, Jose is healthy. Phil is fond of Jose for a reason. Lets hope he is right. A healthy Jose could be another big addition.

Yup. Despite his poor defense, Caledron was always one of the better point guards in the league. He was a great passer and a very efficient shooter. If he is used correctly in this system and he stays healthy, then lets hope that he can remind us of all these things.

The Future is Bright!
nixluva
USA
9/1/2015  5:44 PM
TPercy wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:Also, Jose is healthy. Phil is fond of Jose for a reason. Lets hope he is right. A healthy Jose could be another big addition.

Yup. Despite his poor defense, Caledron was always one of the better point guards in the league. He was a great passer and a very efficient shooter. If he is used correctly in this system and he stays healthy, then lets hope that he can remind us of all these things.

Thankfully Jose isn't alone this year. Afflalo, Jerian, Sasha and Gallo should provide a very solid group of guards this year. There's potential for some serious efficient perimeter shooting this year.
StarksEwing1

9/1/2015  6:16 PM
nixluva wrote:
TPercy wrote:

Thankfully Jose isn't alone this year. Afflalo, Jerian, Sasha and Gallo should provide a very solid group of guards this year. There's potential for some serious efficient perimeter shooting this year.
im still hoping we can get rid of jose contract. Im sure even phil admits he made a mistake. Im excited for grant, he was one of my top 5 favorite draft prospects. Afflalo will help too
nixluva
USA
9/1/2015  6:45 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
TPercy wrote:

im still hoping we can get rid of jose contract. Im sure even phil admits he made a mistake. Im excited for grant, he was one of my top 5 favorite draft prospects. Afflalo will help too

Jose is likely here for this season. I think Phil had Jose as part of a different plan, but he still serves a purpose for this team for the time being. If Jose is healthy, he should be able to help. I think we all look forward to Jerian. I'm hoping Jerian wins the starting job along with KP. I think these kids can bring some unique skills and athletic ability to the table for this team. I actually think they can help make this a better defensive team even as they learn.
StarksEwing1

9/1/2015  6:48 PM
nixluva wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
TPercy wrote:

Jose is likely here for this season. I think Phil had Jose as part of a different plan, but he still serves a purpose for this team for the time being. If Jose is healthy, he should be able to help. I think we all look forward to Jerian. I'm hoping Jerian wins the starting job along with KP. I think these kids can bring some unique skills and athletic ability to the table for this team. I actually think they can help make this a better defensive team even as they learn.
hopefully we can get rid of him next summer since he is a expiring contract.
knickscity
Member: #4241
USA
9/1/2015  6:51 PM
nixluva wrote:
knickscity wrote:
nixluva wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:

Most every team is actually winning based on the production of the top 6-8 players in their rotation. When you actually look at the teams the Knicks will be competing with it's much clearer what they have to get from the Knicks rotation players to be competitive. I was not comparing the Knicks with the Wiz, but rather the teams likely to be 6-14 in the East, but since you mentioned them.

2014-15

We can't say for sure who the top 8 players for the Knicks will be, but I think there's enough talent there to be competitive. IMO this ins't going to be a bottom feeding team.

2015-16 Knicks Estimate based on 2013-14 stats.  I'm using 2013-14 since last year was marred by injury for our top players.
Langston Galloway, PG 45 41 32.4 11.8 0.8 3.4 4.2 3.3 1.16 0.27 1.4 2.9 2.5 12.4
Kyle O'Quinn ??
Kevin Seraphin ??
Derrick Williams ??
Kristaps Porzingis ??
Jerian Grant ??

9. Indiana Pacers 10. Charlotte Hornets 11. Detroit Pistons 12. Brooklyn Nets 13. Orlando Magic 14. New York Knicks
Proj. record: 39-43 Proj. record: 35-47 Proj. record: 35-47 Proj. record: 30-52 Proj. record: 30-52 Proj. record: 25-57
Last season: 38-44 Last season: 33-49 Last season: 32-50 Last season: 38-44 Last season: 25-57 Last season: 17-65

35 wins isnt a bottom feeding team. It's just outside of the playoffs in the East, and actually would be competitive. nearly won half and likely in a position to have won a few others.

Cant imagine how that is a failure unless you're expecting something much greater.

nixluva
USA
9/1/2015  7:25 PM
knickscity wrote:
nixluva wrote:
knickscity wrote:
nixluva wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:

2014-15

Kyle O'Quinn ??
Kevin Seraphin ??
Derrick Williams ??
Kristaps Porzingis ??
Jerian Grant ??

35 wins isnt a bottom feeding team. It's just outside of the playoffs in the East, and actually would be competitive. nearly won half and likely in a position to have won a few others.

Cant imagine how that is a failure unless you're expecting something much greater.

The bottom feeding comment is in reference to the ESPN prediction. I think this team has better than 35 win talent. If that totally dysfunctional 2013-14 team could win 37 games I think this team can be better minus all the drama and off the court issues. The teams from 6-15 aren't exactly a murderers row. They are teams that are trying to get to the next level but not quite enough to get there.

This Knicks team is built in a way that should allow it to be very competitive. I think this team matches up very well with the 6-15 teams in the East. This Knicks team has enough defensive talent and offensive punch to be in the mix for a playoff spot. This Knicks team has a nice mix of vets and youth and power up front. This team shouldn't get pushed around with the bigs we have now.

I like how Phil has revamped this roster. Higher BB IQ, Effort level and a hard working character to the roster. You start with some solid direction from our guards, which we didn't have to start last year. We have more perimeter shooting as well. Inside we have a solid group of bigs who can hold their own in the trenches. On Top of that we have Melo. IMO that should all work together to put this team in the mix for the playoffs.

StarksEwing1

9/1/2015  10:05 PM
I still think 35 wins is a fair estimate. Thats not a failure...especially coming off a pathetic 17 win season. Its gonna take time for the team to gel AND the rookies probably need a year to get comfortable. Plus we still need another good player IMO
nixluva
USA
9/1/2015  11:52 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:I still think 35 wins is a fair estimate. Thats not a failure...especially coming off a pathetic 17 win season. Its gonna take time for the team to gel AND the rookies probably need a year to get comfortable. Plus we still need another good player IMO

35 wins is a failure IMO. If the team is healthy they have a shot to compete for a playoff spot and should not top out at 35 wins.

The 17 win season has nothing to do with what they can do this year. It's a nearly completely new rotation.

This team won in the past with Tyson, Felton and JR being the main contributors behind Melo. Not exactly a bunch of stars. Beyond Tyson, Felton and JR we never had another "Good Player" tho the role players were able to fill in well enough to win. Kidd had a great positive impact but wasn't really a highly productive player. This roster should be able to match the production of the Melo, JR, Felton n Tyson rosters close enough to make this team competitive.

2012-13
PLAYER GP GS MIN PPG RPG APG PER
Carmelo Anthony, SF 67 67 37.0 28.7 6.9 2.6 24.8
J.R. Smith, SG 80 0 33.5 18.1 5.3 2.7 17.7
Raymond Felton, PG 68 68 34.0 13.9 2.9 5.5 15.2
Tyson Chandler, C 66 66 32.8 10.4 10.7 0.9 18.9

2013-14
PLAYER GP GS MIN PPG RPG APG PER
Carmelo Anthony, SF 77 77 38.7 27.4 8.1 3.1 24.5
J.R. Smith, SG 74 37 32.7 14.5 4.0 3.0 14.0
Raymond Felton, PG 65 65 31.0 9.7 3.0 5.6 12.9
Tyson Chandler, C 55 55 30.2 8.7 9.6 1.1 16.5

If this new core performs as expected they should be able to carry the bulk of the load and allow the Role players to fill in around them and not be asked to carry more than they are capable of.

I'm taking into account that this team will need to jell and is gonna likely get better as they continue to play with each other, but I don't expect anything close to the kind of dysfunction we saw to start last year on in the 37 win season.

dk7th
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #4228
USA
9/2/2015  12:37 AM
nixluva wrote:
knickscity wrote:
nixluva wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:

2014-15

Kyle O'Quinn ??
Kevin Seraphin ??
Derrick Williams ??
Kristaps Porzingis ??
Jerian Grant ??

"not suggesting" is good because nobody should be playing more than 32 minutes a game on the knicks. it doesn't matter the number of wins, we have to reduce these players minutes to preserve their strength over an arduous season.

knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
nixluva
USA
9/2/2015  1:14 AM
dk7th wrote:
nixluva wrote:
knickscity wrote:
nixluva wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:

2014-15

Kyle O'Quinn ??
Kevin Seraphin ??
Derrick Williams ??
Kristaps Porzingis ??
Jerian Grant ??

"not suggesting" is good because nobody should be playing more than 32 minutes a game on the knicks. it doesn't matter the number of wins, we have to reduce these players minutes to preserve their strength over an arduous season.

I think these players are going to be busting their tails to be in the playoffs this year. I like the character of the guys we've added. They all have a can do spirit. Laster year once things started to go wrong and were tougher than they expected they lost all their spirit. No passion or fire in the belly last year. I see this group having a much better spirit. These guys are home for the most part. They want to be here. I don't see them being satisfied with a 35 win season at all. A lot of the NBA is so close in terms of talent and the difference between wins and losses is that passion and desire to win.
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
9/2/2015  12:14 PM
nixluva wrote:
dk7th wrote:
nixluva wrote:
knickscity wrote:
nixluva wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:

2014-15

Kyle O'Quinn ??
Kevin Seraphin ??
Derrick Williams ??
Kristaps Porzingis ??
Jerian Grant ??

I think these players are going to be busting their tails to be in the playoffs this year. I like the character of the guys we've added. They all have a can do spirit. Laster year once things started to go wrong and were tougher than they expected they lost all their spirit. No passion or fire in the belly last year. I see this group having a much better spirit. These guys are home for the most part. They want to be here. I don't see them being satisfied with a 35 win season at all. A lot of the NBA is so close in terms of talent and the difference between wins and losses is that passion and desire to win.

And this year, we are actually starting people who should start in the NBA. We've got some nice, young, now experienced bench players. Which is where they should be. As dkt7f has pointed out, the high point could be 42 wins. That and a playoff berth would not be a failure, IMHO. Pray for health. Our legit first rounder made it alive out of Summer League! We have dispelled the ghost of Tractor Traylor, RIP.

I'm just glad, in the midst of all this Jose C talk, that no one's pining away for Ray Felton.

nixluva
USA
9/2/2015  6:36 PM
jrodmc wrote:And this year, we are actually starting people who should start in the NBA. We've got some nice, young, now experienced bench players. Which is where they should be. As dkt7f has pointed out, the high point could be 42 wins. That and a playoff berth would not be a failure, IMHO. Pray for health. Our legit first rounder made it alive out of Summer League! We have dispelled the ghost of Tractor Traylor, RIP.

I'm just glad, in the midst of all this Jose C talk, that no one's pining away for Ray Felton.

Yeah IMO we should be able to see a more competitive rotation this year. It's gonna take some of these Free Agents we've added showing some development with a possible bigger role here. I'm also hopeful that our rookies can contribute this year. They have some NBA level skills that should help them to participate this season at a respectable rookie level.

2014-15 Stats
Kyle O'Quinn 51 17 16.2 5.8 0.9 3.0 3.9 1.2 0.61 0.76 1.1 2.2 1.1 14.9
Derrick Williams 74 6 19.8 8.3 0.6 2.2 2.7 0.7 0.46 0.05 0.8 0.9 0.9 12.9
Kevin Seraphin 79 0 15.6 6.6 1.1 2.5 3.6 0.7 0.13 0.75 1.2 2.5 0.6 12.6
Kristaps Porzingis ??
Jerian Grant ??

Kyle, DWill, Kevin, KP and Jerian in particular will have to have an impact. The better they perform, the better things will be overall. We pretty much know what to expect from the starters but just what we will get from the others is going to be most interesting to watch.

BasketballJones
Alba Posts: 19
Member: #290
USA
9/2/2015  11:14 PM
Reasons to be cheerful, part iii....
https:// It's not so hard.
Reasons To Be Joyful

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy