Author Thread
nixluva
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #758
USA
8/29/2015  10:33 AM
Knicks1969 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
Knicks1969 wrote:I am not sure if Jose will be able to be productive, but the fact that he can't defend opposing PGs is and will always be an issue. My biggest worry going into the season is FISHER. Has he improved as a coach?

A lot of what you think is the coach is actually the players you have running the team on the floor!!! Guarantee you that any team that has Jason Kidd in his prime running it will operate well REGARDLESS of the coach. I understand not thinking Fisher was making the right in game decisions, but in terms of what most teams actually do it really is mostly about the players. Just looking at who was running the offense last year it's easy to imagine it having a negative impact on how the team ran.

Fisher is not just making this up as he goes along. He's got a proven system that puts most of the decision making in the hands of the players. That's how the Triangle works. You don't call plays. It's a free flowing system that is directed by the guards at the start and then everyone on the floor has specific rules for which action to take next depending on where the ball goes first and what the defense does in response. It's on the players on the floor to make it work. This is why most games you rarely saw Phil say or do anything unless there was something specific he saw that he wanted to get across. He was never standing up and barking directions all game.

When you have vocal dudes like Jordan/Pippen/Shaq/Kobe, you really don't have to do much. Phil uses other subliminal ways to turn the system into a success. There is a reason why others have failed coaching the triangle. I hope Fisher the best of luck. I hope Aflalo and a healthy Jose can help this dude when they are on the court.

Jim Calhoun:
“What the triangle gave the Bulls and the Lakers was an organized way to put five players on the same page,” he added. “It’s not a miracle cure. It creates freedom.”

The Triangle has been used by College programs and High School Programs for years. In the NBA it has run into issues because none of Phil's guys have had the full support of the GM to run the Triangle. You can't be successful with it if you don't have a full commitment to it. Phil is a great coach outside of the offense he chose to run, but the Triangle Offense has been used successfully by other coaches outside the NBA who aren't under the constraints of the WIN NOW mode of the NBA.

Jordan initially resisted the Triangle and made things difficult for Phil. Phil had to use every trick in the book because there was no getting rid of Jordan. Jordan eventually came to the light but it wasn't immediate. The same thing happened in NY for Fish. What Phil did was get rid of guys who weren't buying in. Phil also knows that it takes time and unlike other GM's who had no patience for the Triangle, Phil knows better.

In 1989, Jackson became the Bulls’ head coach, and he told the team that he planned to run Winter’s system.

“This triangle offense!” forward Horace Grant said, recalling the introduction of a reactive style of play to athletes who valued aggression. “Believe me, with the Bulls, we started running it — we thought that it was Stephen Hawking talking to us. If you never, ever spoke Mandarin in your life, it was trying to learn Mandarin in the first year.

“We were stepping on one another’s feet, falling down. Everybody thought Tex was crazy, and we thought Phil was crazy for listening to him. In the beginning, we all rebelled. We wanted to run and dunk. Athletes don’t want fundamentals. You want to run like a gazelle! Like a Doberman!”

One reason for the Pistons’ success against Chicago in the years before Jackson took over was that Detroit’s physicality wore Jordan down. Jackson and Winter’s thinking was that if they built more offensive options around him, Jordan would have greater reserves of energy at the end of playoff games. They told Jordan that for 20 seconds, the team would stay in the offense. If no clear scoring opportunities emerged, then he should create one. Jordan was skeptical; he called the triangle “a white man’s offense.”

Grant remembers what Winter’s practices were like. “Every day we began with passing, cutting and screening,” he said. “Every day. Every single day. Fundamental basketball. We weren’t bored. It was so intriguing to us. We wanted to learn something different. We’d been not so successful in the playoffs.”

Eventually, Grant said, all of the players were converted.

“You need intelligence to run Triangle,” Grant said. “We have great one-on-one athletes out there in the N.B.A., but to be as one, you need to know your role in Triangle. When the defense shuts 10 options down, we have 10 more. If a pass goes to the corner, we as a team know where to set screens, where to cut. Pass goes into the post to Bill Cartwright, we know all the picks on the other side of the floor.

“It was a smooth operating machine. Baryshnikov in action! Picasso painting! A beautiful thing! Having Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen helped, too. Shot clock’s at four, it all breaks down, then Jordan time.”

Jackson said that only after the Bulls finally defeated the Pistons in 1991 did Jordan embrace the offense, and Krause remembered it the same way.

“Michael’s smart as hell,” Krause said. “It took him a few months, but then he realized what he could do in Triangle. He went back to Carolina, and all he did all summer was work on post stuff. For the next eight or 10 years, he scored more points in the post than most centers did.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/28/sports/basketball/phil-jackson-knicks-triangle-offense-nba.html?_r=0
AUTOADVERT
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
8/29/2015  12:35 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/29/2015  12:37 PM
nyvector16 wrote:I cannot speak for the coaching style as Fisher did not really have much talent to put any kind of system to the test last year.

I do however feel tremendously optimistic about the players on the team this year.
I feel better about this core and group than the 54 win team.
That 54 win team was always an injury away from catastrophe with so many old cogs.
This new team is so youth infused we should really be able to battle deep into the season without the health concerns of years past.

the 54 win roster had leadership, had role players that new their role, a hungry JR smith, and nobody talking about contracts, or coaches on the hot seat, or potential trades.

Those are the things the need to be in order, things that don't effect the learning process, that don't divide the locker room.

We have no definite starters, or 6th man, or any kind of definitive rotation, or players who won't see any minutes at all unless emergency. and since the skill level is about even after melo, lopez and affalo, that will be the biggest challenge to the coaching staff. The quicker they can establish that, the more successful we can be.

ES
nyvector16
Member: #130
USA
8/29/2015  10:32 PM
This is a completely new team so the roles are not defined yet.
I am glad that unlike the 54 win team it is not all or nothing for this one season with the current team.
Regardless of the outcome of the season we should have strong pieces to build on for future seasons...
blkexec
Member: #748
8/30/2015  9:10 AM
nyvector16 wrote:This is a completely new team so the roles are not defined yet.
I am glad that unlike the 54 win team it is not all or nothing for this one season with the current team.
Regardless of the outcome of the season we should have strong pieces to build on for future seasons...

We are finally starting a new chapter of building from the ground up. I can't remember the last time we had this strategy. We've always tried to build on the run.....Instead of stripping everything down, and building the right way. I'm looking forward to this season, as well as future seasons......I'm hoping we continue to follow this trend, and become a franchise where top free agents want to play.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

8/30/2015  9:15 AM
blkexec wrote:
nyvector16 wrote:This is a completely new team so the roles are not defined yet.

We are finally starting a new chapter of building from the ground up. I can't remember the last time we had this strategy. We've always tried to build on the run.....Instead of stripping everything down, and building the right way. I'm looking forward to this season, as well as future seasons......I'm hoping we continue to follow this trend, and become a franchise where top free agents want to play.

not having our pick next year hurts especially since it will most likely be in top 10. Im glad phil has focused on building through the draft. Hopefully he works some magic and gets a first rounder next year
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
8/30/2015  9:58 AM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
blkexec wrote:

not having our pick next year hurts especially since it will most likely be in top 10. Im glad phil has focused on building through the draft. Hopefully he works some magic and gets a first rounder next year

Barges trade hurts but having Willy show up next year will be nice. Do Knicks have any second rounders?

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
StarksEwing1

8/30/2015  10:05 AM
martin wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
blkexec wrote:

Barges trade hurts but having Willy show up next year will be nice. Do Knicks have any second rounders?

yes willy has potential for sure. I dont think we have any picks next year. Basically we gave up all our 2016 picks for bargnani and camby....who barely played lol
nixluva
USA
8/30/2015  12:53 PM
I don't see the Knicks being a lottery team again next season. IMO this roster is pretty solidly built. The depth and strength in the front court is ready to bang. The guards are solid if not spectacular in any way. Overall BB IQ is high. It's the kind of team that the Wiz and Raptors have.

Melo, Afflalo, RoLo, Jose, O'Quinn isn't sexy but if they went with that it would be competitive. There are other starting lineup variations I could see being competitive as well. It's not a roster starting every game at a disadvantage. The Knicks will be a tougher opponent most nights.

StarksEwing1

8/30/2015  1:07 PM
nixluva wrote:I don't see the Knicks being a lottery team again next season. IMO this roster is pretty solidly built. The depth and strength in the front court is ready to bang. The guards are solid if not spectacular in any way. Overall BB IQ is high. It's the kind of team that the Wiz and Raptors have.

Melo, Afflalo, RoLo, Jose, O'Quinn isn't sexy but if they went with that it would be competitive. There are other starting lineup variations I could see being competitive as well. It's not a roster starting every game at a disadvantage. The Knicks will be a tougher opponent most nights.

i think we are better BUT we gotta be realistic. Right now we are probably a 35 win team which is a step in the right direction
nixluva
USA
8/30/2015  1:40 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
nixluva wrote:I don't see the Knicks being a lottery team again next season. IMO this roster is pretty solidly built. The depth and strength in the front court is ready to bang. The guards are solid if not spectacular in any way. Overall BB IQ is high. It's the kind of team that the Wiz and Raptors have.

i think we are better BUT we gotta be realistic. Right now we are probably a 35 win team which is a step in the right direction

It's not about being realistic. That meant nothing in the 54 win season. It's about how the parts fit together and the dedication of the players to buying in and giving max effort. There's enough talent to be competitive. It's all up to the players desire to succeed. This group wants to be here and IMO is motivated to be successful. Guys like O'Quinn, Seraphin, DWill etc realize this is a great opportunity to grab a bigger role.

This is a more motivated group IMO. Guys are looking to bounce back. Rookies are anxious to prove what they can do. The negative influences are gone. Even our scrubs are hard workers! IMO that's not a roster with low expectations. They want to succeed and will put in the work.

StarksEwing1

8/30/2015  1:49 PM
nixluva wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:

It's not about being realistic. That meant nothing in the 54 win season. It's about how the parts fit together and the dedication of the players to buying in and giving max effort. There's enough talent to be competitive. It's all up to the players desire to succeed. This group wants to be here and IMO is motivated to be successful. Guys like O'Quinn, Seraphin, DWill etc realize this is a great opportunity to grab a bigger role.

This is a more motivated group IMO. Guys are looking to bounce back. Rookies are anxious to prove what they can do. The negative influences are gone. Even our scrubs are hard workers! IMO that's not a roster with low expectations. They want to succeed and will put in the work.

i love your lockeroom speeches nix, they are better than most sports movies lol. All kidding aside i try to be as honest as possible. I like what phil did but we simply dont have the talent to get it done next year. However next year we will be better and our 2 rookies will get great experience. In 2016—17 i think our time will come
nixluva
USA
8/30/2015  2:13 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:

i love your lockeroom speeches nix, they are better than most sports movies lol. All kidding aside i try to be as honest as possible. I like what phil did but we simply dont have the talent to get it done next year. However next year we will be better and our 2 rookies will get great experience. In 2016—17 i think our time will come

I actually disagree about not having enough talent. We have a lot of question marks but there is a lot of actual talent. We just don't have a lot of assurance that most of the players will play up to their potential but that's not the same thing as lacking talent.

We should be able to put a good starting lineup on the floor. That's a very important starting point. After that things are less clear. However the players do have talent!!! Let's say they started Melo, Afflalo, RoLo, O'Quinn n Jose. That's not world beating but it's competitive. The rest of the roster has talent but is unproven. The upside is there however. KP, Jerian, DWill, Gallo, Early, Seraphin... There's talent there. Gotta hope a few of them break out.

StarksEwing1

8/30/2015  2:21 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/30/2015  2:22 PM
nixluva wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:

I actually disagree about not having enough talent. We have a lot of question marks but there is a lot of actual talent. We just don't have a lot of assurance that most of the players will play up to their potential but that's not the same thing as lacking talent.

We should be able to put a good starting lineup on the floor. That's a very important starting point. After that things are less clear. However the players do have talent!!! Let's say they started Melo, Afflalo, RoLo, O'Quinn n Jose. That's not world beating but it's competitive. The rest of the roster has talent but is unproven. The upside is there however. KP, Jerian, DWill, Gallo, Early, Seraphin... There's talent there. Gotta hope a few of them break out.

when i say talent i mean high end talent. I think we have a lot of solid players who will help. KP may very well be a all star but its gonna take a few years. Grant im a huge fan of. But i still think we need one more bigtime player
nixluva
USA
8/30/2015  2:42 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:

when i say talent i mean high end talent. I think we have a lot of solid players who will help. KP may very well be a all star but its gonna take a few years. Grant im a huge fan of. But i still think we need one more bigtime player

Sure we need more top talent but that's a different issue. The actual talent on the roster is high but either needs more development or to prove itself. This season could be enhanced by a few players having breakout seasons. Any team with talent that hasn't been proven yet needs this to happen. There are no guarantees but the prospect is there.

We're talking about getting enough from this roster to make the playoffs. Of course one more proven talent might take away the doubts but IMO the potential is already on the roster. This is where Fish and the coaching staff can help. Clearly defined roles that enhance the players strengths and limit their weaknesses can help a lot. This team has just enough stability that it should protect the less proven talent from having to do too much. That wasn't there last year.

knickscity
Member: #4241
USA
8/30/2015  3:43 PM
Even Phil acknowledged the only star caliber player on the team is Melo. It's role player throughout. Whether they can play their roles will determine the season we have. On paper, this team isnt winning more than 35. I dont see playoffs with this roster, but should be considerably better than last years squad. Thats the issue with Knicks fans at times, always overhyping their own and completely dissing other teams like they dont have good rosters at all. Then turn around and do it again the following season. We dont have a big man nearly as good as Nene, and Afflalo is no Bradley Beal. Rolo is nowhere near as good as Gortat. As good as Melo is, certainly better than anyone on the Wizards roster, he doesnt alone make up the difference in their roster and since he isnt a playmaker his impact isnt even as much as John Wall.
StarksEwing1

8/30/2015  3:51 PM
knickscity wrote:Even Phil acknowledged the only star caliber player on the team is Melo. It's role player throughout. Whether they can play their roles will determine the season we have. On paper, this team isnt winning more than 35. I dont see playoffs with this roster, but should be considerably better than last years squad. Thats the issue with Knicks fans at times, always overhyping their own and completely dissing other teams like they dont have good rosters at all. Then turn around and do it again the following season. We dont have a big man nearly as good as Nene, and Afflalo is no Bradley Beal. Rolo is nowhere near as good as Gortat. As good as Melo is, certainly better than anyone on the Wizards roster, he doesnt alone make up the difference in their roster and since he isnt a playmaker his impact isnt even as much as John Wall.
my thoughts exactly. 35 wins isnt being negative, its being honest. Actually 35 wins is a step in the right direction
knickscity
Member: #4241
USA
8/30/2015  4:00 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
knickscity wrote:Even Phil acknowledged the only star caliber player on the team is Melo. It's role player throughout. Whether they can play their roles will determine the season we have. On paper, this team isnt winning more than 35. I dont see playoffs with this roster, but should be considerably better than last years squad. Thats the issue with Knicks fans at times, always overhyping their own and completely dissing other teams like they dont have good rosters at all. Then turn around and do it again the following season. We dont have a big man nearly as good as Nene, and Afflalo is no Bradley Beal. Rolo is nowhere near as good as Gortat. As good as Melo is, certainly better than anyone on the Wizards roster, he doesnt alone make up the difference in their roster and since he isnt a playmaker his impact isnt even as much as John Wall.
my thoughts exactly. 35 wins isnt being negative, its being honest. Actually 35 wins is a step in the right direction

A major step, it shows what the system could accomplish if it had better talent. 35 wins for instance would place the team just outside of playoffs, but competitive on most nights and able to close the deal on nearly half of the contests. Thats being realistic.
StarksEwing1

8/30/2015  4:03 PM
knickscity wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:

A major step, it shows what the system could accomplish if it had better talent. 35 wins for instance would place the team just outside of playoffs, but competitive on most nights and able to close the deal on nearly half of the contests. Thats being realistic.
Exactly, unfortunetly some take that as being negative which is ridiculous. I love the knicks but i try to be honest with the good and bad stuff
nixluva
USA
8/30/2015  4:09 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:

I actually do think 25 or even 35 is low. It's not about what the team did last year. We have to assess the team based on the roster we have now. This roster has just enough quality to match up well with the bulk of the league. They have some upside on this roster which is the X Factor for just how successful they can be. It's a solid middle of the pack team IMO.

StarksEwing1

8/30/2015  4:14 PM
nixluva wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:

I actually do think 25 or even 35 is low. It's not about what the team did last year. We have to assess the team based on the roster we have now. This roster has just enough quality to match up well with the bulk of the league. They have some upside on this roster which is the X Factor for just how successful they can be. It's a solid middle of the pack team IMO.

of course you think its low lol. How about 50?
Reasons To Be Joyful

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy