[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Article: It is time we respect Carmelo Anthony
Author Thread
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
8/25/2015  12:14 AM
https://www.todaysfastbreak.com/nba-east/atlantic/new-york-knicks/its-time-we-respect-carmelo-anthony/
There are graphs, charts and videos so it is best to just click on the link. Saw this on realgm.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
AUTOADVERT
arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
8/25/2015  12:44 AM
CrushAlot wrote:https://www.todaysfastbreak.com/nba-east/atlantic/new-york-knicks/its-time-we-respect-carmelo-anthony/
There are graphs, charts and videos so it is best to just click on the link. Saw this on realgm.

They never call him STAT... only because it was another STAT.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
8/25/2015  1:11 AM
Not bad. It's one of the best defenses of Melo i've read. The other article was the one where the writer basically saying that Melo is a lesser version of Dirk Nowitzki. Regardless of the comparisons. I think this article's writer is correct in saying you want to surround Melo with defenders and floor spreaders and a good PG.

RoLo, O'Quinn and Seraphin can score at about 50%, defend the rim and rebound. Not a sexy group but a rugged and selfless group of bigs. Melo can carry the scoring load with Afflalo backing him up and KP, Jerian and Jose filling in. If they could get A little extra scoring from DWill, Gallo and Early, it might work this year. The key will be how well this roster defends and rebounds. That has to be a staple for this team. Melo is far from perfect and he's not a Lebron or MJ but you can win with the guy if the team is built right.

arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
8/25/2015  7:50 AM    LAST EDITED: 8/25/2015  7:51 AM
nixluva wrote:Not bad. It's one of the best defenses of Melo i've read. The other article was the one where the writer basically saying that Melo is a lesser version of Dirk Nowitzki. Regardless of the comparisons. I think this article's writer is correct in saying you want to surround Melo with defenders and floor spreaders and a good PG.

RoLo, O'Quinn and Seraphin can score at about 50%, defend the rim and rebound. Not a sexy group but a rugged and selfless group of bigs. Melo can carry the scoring load with Afflalo backing him up and KP, Jerian and Jose filling in. If they could get A little extra scoring from DWill, Gallo and Early, it might work this year. The key will be how well this roster defends and rebounds. That has to be a staple for this team. Melo is far from perfect and he's not a Lebron or MJ but you can win with the guy if the team is built right.

No doubt about it.
We saw Melo on Olympic teams and he was great piece of the puzzle.
He need a strong minded coach and strong minded GM plus strong leader on the team to direct/inspire/teach him to do what he does best.
No shame in that.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
nyk4ever
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #848
USA
8/25/2015  8:01 AM
the easiest way for melo to get people off his back is to just WIN. to many people are concerned with either tearing him down or holding him holier thou... just win and all the garbage goes away.
"OMG - did we just go on a two-trade-wining-streak?" -SupremeCommander
Moonangie
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #2788

8/25/2015  8:59 AM
nyk4ever wrote:the easiest way for melo to get people off his back is to just WIN. to many people are concerned with either tearing him down or holding him holier thou... just win and all the garbage goes away.

Word. That's really the only realistic gripe Knicks fans should have...win %. Let's hope that turns around this year.

knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
8/25/2015  9:14 AM    LAST EDITED: 8/25/2015  9:16 AM
Nice article

The haters don't like melo because of his contract, they think he should of sacrifices millions to potentially win a championship, Which IMO is as dumb as he gets. I'll sacrifice money when the NBA donates 30% of their profit earnings to charity.

ES
blkexec
Member: #748
8/25/2015  9:24 AM
I haven't read the article yet, but I can still answer that question.....YES....It's time to start respecting Melo. And I was one of them that was hard on him. And still hard on him. I will tell anybody I'm a knicks fan, but it's hard to be a Melo fan. Not because of his contract (which I'm sure plays a part....aka Alan Houston), but I'm a starks fan. I like players to give their all on both ends. And Melo comes across as a gunner, who conserves energy on defense and only displays energy on offense. But he's starting to come around lately.....this season / contract will be the test for me.
Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
knicks1248
8/25/2015  9:26 AM
blkexec wrote:I haven't read the article yet, but I can still answer that question.....YES....It's time to start respecting Melo. And I was one of them that was hard on him. And still hard on him. I will tell anybody I'm a knicks fan, but it's hard to be a Melo fan. Not because of his contract (which I'm sure plays a part....aka Alan Houston), but I'm a starks fan. I like players to give their all on both ends. And Melo comes across as a gunner, who conserves energy on defense and only displays energy on offense. But he's starting to come around lately.....this season / contract will be the test for me.

read the article dude, it helps

ES
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
8/25/2015  10:02 AM
We have two Melo leadership threads. Now this. What is this board coming to?

I am going to refrain from saying "the haters are on their way". Again.

EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

8/25/2015  10:19 AM
knicks1248 wrote:Nice article

The haters don't like melo because of his contract, they think he should of sacrifices millions to potentially win a championship, Which IMO is as dumb as he gets. I'll sacrifice money when the NBA donates 30% of their profit earnings to charity.

That ends that debate right there.

to add.... melo actually did take less by signing the 5 year deal. If he waited like Lebron and other stars, he would be able to command way more money in the future.

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
jrodmc
USA
8/25/2015  10:24 AM
We have to be careful not to try so hard to put guys in a box so that we end up missing the greatness that’s already in front of us. Anthony will never be a defensive stud, a dynamic playmaker or a monster above the rim. What he is, and what he’s always been, is one heck of a scorer, a solid offensive rebounder and one incredibly fun player to watch when he gets going.

Regardless of if he wins a title in New York or anywhere else, we need to recognize two things:

1. If he’s healthy, you probably can’t name 10 or 11 players better than Carmelo Anthony right now.

2. This man is going to the Hall of Fame when it’s all said and done.

I'm sure there are some who will try to do #1, most of them with their eyes and minds closed. Hey, it's almost always easy to hit the urinal.

And #2, well that's just #2, right?

franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
8/25/2015  11:43 AM
I'm not trying to hate on Melo, but how exactly does he get into the Hall of Fame? On his career so far, I just don't see it. Great player, but what is the standard to get into the hall? To me, you have to be more than just great.
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
8/25/2015  12:12 PM
franco12 wrote:I'm not trying to hate on Melo, but how exactly does he get into the Hall of Fame? On his career so far, I just don't see it. Great player, but what is the standard to get into the hall? To me, you have to be more than just great.
This has to help. Couldn't copy the chart but it is in the article.
To that point, here’s a fun fact: There are only seven players in NBA history who put up at least 25 points per game with a true shooting percentage (TS%) of 50 or higher in the regular season and postseason:
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
knicks1248
8/25/2015  12:26 PM
franco12 wrote:I'm not trying to hate on Melo, but how exactly does he get into the Hall of Fame? On his career so far, I just don't see it. Great player, but what is the standard to get into the hall? To me, you have to be more than just great.

not all hall of famers have won championships, or have only made the playoffs a handful of times. his individual #s are very impressive

ES
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/25/2015  12:36 PM
Lead league in scoring, top 5 MVP, could be a top 25 pt scorer when all is said and done, 2-maybe 3 Olympic gold, Multiple all star and...........

MVP on NCAA championship team.

Its not he NBA HOF, its the BASKETBALL HOF.

jrodmc
USA
8/25/2015  1:00 PM

How about a consistently great player?

The Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame, located in Springfield, Massachusetts, honors players who have shown exceptional skill at basketball...
The player inductees in the Class of 2014 were Šarūnas Marčiulionis, Alonzo Mourning, Mitch Richmond, and Guy Rodgers.

Seriously, if these guys were just inducted, you really have a problem with Melo getting in?

WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

8/25/2015  1:04 PM

My feelings for Anthony are pretty well known...but he'll get in as a scorer, and the Olympics stuff helps.

You don't necessarily have to be "great." Hopefully a stronger cast helps the Knicks do something in the playoffs in the near future.

Alex English is a comp, IMO, and he got in. Volume scorer and better passer, but there are similarities. Guy like Reggie Miller got in...Ralph Sampson...Dan Issel.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/awards/hof.html?lid=header_awards

This article could have been written by one of us, by the way.

Lost much respect for the writer here, though...

Ironically, the team that offers Melo virtually everything he needs was the team he turned down in free agency last summer — the Chicago Bulls. Honestly, the flak that Melo caught for choosing New York over Chicago reeked of stupidity and hypocrisy. With all of the criticism LeBron received from fans and former players alike for leaving Cleveland to join Wade and Chris Bosh in Miami instead of staying “loyal” and sticking it out in Cleveland, it seems crazy to think Anthony would be criticized heavily for choosing to stay in New York instead of going to the perceived win-now situation in Chicago.

Anthony has always been about the money...

Did not follow Lebron and Wade's lead and sign a shorter contract with Denver that would have allowed him to be one of the "big 3," which was the original plan.

Pushed for a trade which gave him monetary benefits, instead of going into FA and then signing with the Knicks- which would have benefitted the team, because he was worried about the CBA situation.

Opted out of the last year of the contract he had taken to get that extra year (No??)- turned down less money from Chicago, and then chose not to give Jackson the cap flexibility Phil had wanted.

The kid's (writer's) idea about a volume scorer making his teammates better is made possible by him coming up with the idea that you are "making the game easier" for them because you are "opening things up for teammates." Pretty weak, IMO, and makes any chucker a team player, from what I can see.

Making a teammate better involves a form of selflessness, its not a side effect, and for me it usually involves passing or defense, IMO. A good rebounder who can make outlet passes is helping the team. A guy who can block shots or take charges is helping a teammate who has been beaten. The player who makes a direct pass for a score is giving teammates an opportunity, as is the player who makes that "hockey assist" pass that is not recognized in NBA stats. Shooting 8/24 does not fall into this category.

I'm trying to be better about criticizing Melo, but this kind of article from a kid who is actually a Miami Heat fan a does not tell me much, and seems to be a major stretch in terms of logic and analysis.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
holfresh
Member: #1081

8/25/2015  1:52 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/25/2015  1:53 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:

My feelings for Anthony are pretty well known...but he'll get in as a scorer, and the Olympics stuff helps.

You don't necessarily have to be "great." Hopefully a stronger cast helps the Knicks do something in the playoffs in the near future.

Alex English is a comp, IMO, and he got in. Volume scorer and better passer, but there are similarities. Guy like Reggie Miller got in...Ralph Sampson...Dan Issel.

Ironically, the team that offers Melo virtually everything he needs was the team he turned down in free agency last summer — the Chicago Bulls. Honestly, the flak that Melo caught for choosing New York over Chicago reeked of stupidity and hypocrisy. With all of the criticism LeBron received from fans and former players alike for leaving Cleveland to join Wade and Chris Bosh in Miami instead of staying “loyal” and sticking it out in Cleveland, it seems crazy to think Anthony would be criticized heavily for choosing to stay in New York instead of going to the perceived win-now situation in Chicago.

Did not follow Lebron and Wade's lead and sign a shorter contract with Denver that would have allowed him to be one of the "big 3," which was the original plan.

Pushed for a trade which gave him monetary benefits, instead of going into FA and then signing with the Knicks- which would have benefitted the team, because he was worried about the CBA situation.

Opted out of the last year of the contract he had taken to get that extra year (No??)- turned down less money from Chicago, and then chose not to give Jackson the cap flexibility Phil had wanted.

The kid's (writer's) idea about a volume scorer making his teammates better is made possible by him coming up with the idea that you are "making the game easier" for them because you are "opening things up for teammates." Pretty weak, IMO, and makes any chucker a team player, from what I can see.

Making a teammate better involves a form of selflessness, its not a side effect, and for me it usually involves passing or defense, IMO. A good rebounder who can make outlet passes is helping the team. A guy who can block shots or take charges is helping a teammate who has been beaten. The player who makes a direct pass for a score is giving teammates an opportunity, as is the player who makes that "hockey assist" pass that is not recognized in NBA stats. Shooting 8/24 does not fall into this category.

I'm trying to be better about criticizing Melo, but this kind of article from a kid who is actually a Miami Heat fan a does not tell me much, and seems to be a major stretch in terms of logic and analysis.

This s not a video game, this is real life..Would you turn down 60+ million dollars to go to Chicago?..Melo should turn down generational money..Get real...

TPercy
Member: #5748

8/25/2015  7:08 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/25/2015  7:09 PM
holfresh wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:

This s not a video game, this is real life..Would you turn down 60+ million dollars to go to Chicago?..Melo should turn down generational money..Get real...

Money or a pretty good shot at winning a title? hmm..
The Future is Bright!
Article: It is time we respect Carmelo Anthony

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy