[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Why am I a Jets fan again?
Author Thread
nixluva
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #758
USA
7/31/2015  2:14 PM
Sheldon made some of the dumbest decisions I can imagine a guy in his position could make. Still he's just one player and this Jets team overall is really looking good. As a life long Jets fan i'm not gonna let one player's stupidity bring me down. This is a team on the upswing and it's very unfortunate that one player is taking away from the many positives going into this season.
AUTOADVERT
ChuckBuck
Alba Posts: 11
Member: #3806
USA
7/31/2015  2:28 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/31/2015  2:28 PM
nixluva wrote:Sheldon made some of the dumbest decisions I can imagine a guy in his position could make. Still he's just one player and this Jets team overall is really looking good. As a life long Jets fan i'm not gonna let one player's stupidity bring me down. This is a team on the upswing and it's very unfortunate that one player is taking away from the many positives going into this season.

That's the thing that really gets my craw. For all the good will and positive that has happened this offseason, there's always something or someone holding the Jets back. With getting the band together with Revis and Cromartie, getting a steal in BMarsh for a low draft pick, to drafting a stud Leonard Williams and vertical threat Devin Smith, to hiring the anti Rex Todd Bowles, and solidifying everything with talent guru Mikey Mac....it's always been 1 Step forward 2 steps back with this franchise.

I never really felt any danger of Mo holding out, as he's a high character team first guy, and just wants to get compensated for such. He's basically the Anti-Revis when it comes to dough....so pretty much no harm no foul there.

But then Sheldon gets the 4 game ban for substance abuse. Okay, he's a first time offender yada yada...he talks and acts like it'll never happen again...then BOOM blindside hit with this arrest.

Thought we were done with the circus once Rex left. I liked Rex, just that he never held anyone accountable ever. Thought we were done with Butt fumbles and the Santonio carcinoma. 2 years of respectability followed by 3 years of complete ineptitude.

Still early I know, but Jets can't seem to stop shooting themselves in the foot (sorry Plaxico).

nixluva
USA
7/31/2015  2:35 PM
ChuckBuck wrote:
nixluva wrote:Sheldon made some of the dumbest decisions I can imagine a guy in his position could make. Still he's just one player and this Jets team overall is really looking good. As a life long Jets fan i'm not gonna let one player's stupidity bring me down. This is a team on the upswing and it's very unfortunate that one player is taking away from the many positives going into this season.

That's the thing that really gets my craw. For all the good will and positive that has happened this offseason, there's always something or someone holding the Jets back. With getting the band together with Revis and Cromartie, getting a steal in BMarsh for a low draft pick, to drafting a stud Leonard Williams and vertical threat Devin Smith, to hiring the anti Rex Todd Bowles, and solidifying everything with talent guru Mikey Mac....it's always been 1 Step forward 2 steps back with this franchise.

I never really felt any danger of Mo holding out, as he's a high character team first guy, and just wants to get compensated for such. He's basically the Anti-Revis when it comes to dough....so pretty much no harm no foul there.

But then Sheldon gets the 4 game ban for substance abuse. Okay, he's a first time offender yada yada...he talks and acts like it'll never happen again...then BOOM blindside hit with this arrest.

Thought we were done with the circus once Rex left. I liked Rex, just that he never held anyone accountable ever. Thought we were done with Butt fumbles and the Santonio carcinoma. 2 years of respectability followed by 3 years of complete ineptitude.

Still early I know, but Jets can't seem to stop shooting themselves in the foot (sorry Plaxico).

No Circus, just one dumb player making everyone else look bad. These guys are working hard and looking good except for one guys so I don't want to overstate his relevance to the rest of the team as a whole. There doesn't seem to be a discipline issue with anyone else that I have seen.

ChuckBuck
USA
7/31/2015  4:10 PM
nixluva wrote:
ChuckBuck wrote:

No Circus, just one dumb player making everyone else look bad. These guys are working hard and looking good except for one guys so I don't want to overstate his relevance to the rest of the team as a whole. There doesn't seem to be a discipline issue with anyone else that I have seen.

I certainly hope so. The only other culprit besides Geno throwing to the other team, could be BMarsh somehow going off his rocker. I mean he does have a checkered past, and hopefully he's beyond all those personal issues, but with Bipolar people, do you really know?

StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

7/31/2015  5:11 PM
I never liked sheldon on a personal level, he obviously isnt a good guy. Unfortunetly for jet fans he is very talented and we need him in order to have a playoff chance. I wouldnt be surprised if he is suspended for additional games
nixluva
USA
7/31/2015  6:52 PM
ChuckBuck wrote:
nixluva wrote:
ChuckBuck wrote:

I certainly hope so. The only other culprit besides Geno throwing to the other team, could be BMarsh somehow going off his rocker. I mean he does have a checkered past, and hopefully he's beyond all those personal issues, but with Bipolar people, do you really know?

Marshall has been exemplary so far and tho he's got issues I don't think we have to worry about him at this point. As I said for the most part this team has been pretty non-controversial under Bowles. This stupid crap from Sheldon isn't a reflection on the entire team INO. So far he seems to be the only one no focused on winning.

Thank goodness we drafted Big Cat. I'm hoping He can step in and hold down the fort. He's a really talented kid tho he still has to learn, but if he can pick it up enough to hold his own we should be in good shape. Even better if the kid flashes some of that immense talent. Maybe this situation is the wake up call that Sheldon needs.

ChuckBuck
USA
7/31/2015  7:14 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:I never liked sheldon on a personal level, he obviously isnt a good guy. Unfortunetly for jet fans he is very talented and we need him in order to have a playoff chance. I wouldnt be surprised if he is suspended for additional games

Very well could be suspended more games, won't be substance abuse, because the police didn't find any, but for "NFL personal conduct policy".

Either way, Sheldon really has to put a performance for the ages on and off the field to even remain a Jet beyond 2015.

tj23
Member: #3119

8/1/2015  1:21 AM
Better than being a Raider fan. Anyway, Sheldon's an idiot. Luckily Wilkerson is amazing, Snacks is very good, and Leonard Williams has huge upside. they are still a good team on paper outside of qb
nixluva
USA
8/1/2015  1:53 AM
tj23 wrote:Better than being a Raider fan. Anyway, Sheldon's an idiot. Luckily Wilkerson is amazing, Snacks is very good, and Leonard Williams has huge upside. they are still a good team on paper outside of qb

I'm looking for a strong season from Geno. I think Geno will finally put it together this year. It's his 3rd year and he's been thru the ringer under Rex after being thrown in there before he was ready. His last 4 games were much better and I think with better targets and a better system that will be tailored to Geno he should be much improved. Chan will run that spread offense which is closer to what Geno was most successful running. I think Geno will feel more at home in this system.

tj23

8/1/2015  2:48 AM
nixluva wrote:
tj23 wrote:Better than being a Raider fan. Anyway, Sheldon's an idiot. Luckily Wilkerson is amazing, Snacks is very good, and Leonard Williams has huge upside. they are still a good team on paper outside of qb

I'm looking for a strong season from Geno. I think Geno will finally put it together this year. It's his 3rd year and he's been thru the ringer under Rex after being thrown in there before he was ready. His last 4 games were much better and I think with better targets and a better system that will be tailored to Geno he should be much improved. Chan will run that spread offense which is closer to what Geno was most successful running. I think Geno will feel more at home in this system.

I admit I like Geno coming out but I've kinda given up on him. Even if he got more of his throws on point, he's still a bad decision maker. The only hope is that I hear he plays well in practice and that it just doesn't translate onto gameday. So maybe it's a comfortability issue he can get through with time. But I don't think its a stretch to say that the odds certainly aren't in his favor. There are no excuses this year, especially given the talent they added.
ChuckBuck
USA
8/1/2015  11:20 AM
Yup no more excuses for Geno. Another butt fumble or pick 6 away from being benched for Fitzpatrick and his career.

If it comes to that, would love to trade Sheldon for a 1st rounder that could potentially be a QB prospect.

gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
8/1/2015  11:28 AM    LAST EDITED: 8/2/2015  12:57 AM
I think Geno will be on a short leash and Fitzpatrick can put it all together like Vinny T did when he became a Jet. Fits has a great arm. He's just wildly inconsistent as Vinny was on the Bengals. High interception total isn't as costly if you are taking chances on big plays down the field and have the timing and accuracy to complete a few. It also helps when you have a defense that can pick you up after an interception and the Jets do
nixluva
USA
8/1/2015  12:00 PM
gunsnewing wrote:I think age I wi be on a short leash and Fitzpatrick can put it all together like Vinny T did when he became a Jet. Fits has a great arm. He's just wildly inconsistent as Vinny was on the Bengals. High interception total isn't as costly if you are taking chances on big plays down the field and have the timing and accuracy to complete a few. It also helps when you have a defense that can pick you up after an interception and the Jets do

Fitz doesn't have a strong arm. He can't compare to Geno's arm at this point. He's smarter than Geno but not the arm talent or athletic ability of Geno.

Ryan Fitzpatrick missing the deep ball
12/29/2011
James Walker, ESPN Staff Writer

Arm strength has always been one of Buffalo Bills quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick's biggest weaknesses. Playing in Buffalo in the blistery winter also doesn't help matters.

But Fitzpatrick needs to do a much better job of throwing deep next year if the Bills (6-9) want to be a contender. According to ESPN Stats and Information, Fitzpatrick is connecting on only 27.1 percent (13 of 48) of his passes of 21 yards or more, which is 29th in the NFL. Fitzpatrick has a passer rating of 53.4 and with two touchdowns and three interceptions when throwing deep this season.

Buffalo's offense is built around Fitzpatrick's strengths. So the Bills won't go deep often. Players like Eli Manning (87), Philip Rivers (68) and Joe Flacco (67) have thrown deep a lot more this season.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/36214/ryan-fitzpatrick-missing-the-deep-ball
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
8/1/2015  12:47 PM
seriouly he always striked me as an all or nothing gunner. Geno has a decent arm but he has one of the most inaccurate arms ive ever seen from a starting QB. He's a notch above Quincy Carter and Jamarcus Russell to me
nixluva
USA
8/1/2015  7:34 PM
gunsnewing wrote:seriouly he always striked me as an all or nothing gunner. Geno has a decent arm but he has one of the most inaccurate arms ive ever seen from a starting QB. He's a notch above Quincy Carter and Jamarcus Russell to me

Actually Geno can be very accurate with a strong arm. He mostly has issues with staring down his receivers but he can throw the ball very well with velocity and spin. Geno gets a bad rap IMO. There have been a few really bad games by him mixed in with some pretty decent games. It's the really bad games that bring his overall stats down.

It should be remembered that he had those issues in his rookie and sophomore season. A lot of QB's wouldn't have even been forced into that situation before they were ready. With more work I expect Geno to be more accurate than he has been in the past.

There is a guy who analyzed all of Geno's passes last year and he stated that Geno threw 17 passes that could be intercepted. 13 of them were intercepted. Of those passes he broke down which were bad due to a poor decision and which were poor due only to poor accuracy.

Geno in his rookie year was really good with his deep ball.

Acc%: Deep Passing

The Top 10

Deep Accuracy gives a good indication of which quarterbacks were most accurate challenging defenses downfield and, with a big start in limited action in Houston, Case Keenum tops the list with a Deep Acc% of 53.1%. Rodgers is once again amongst the best here, as the only quarterback other than Keenum to finish above 50%. Super Bowl QBs Russell Wilson and Peyton Manning round out the Top 5 along with the surprise inclusion of Kellen Clemens.

Name	            Team Deep Acc. %
Case Keenum HST 53.1%
Aaron Rodgers GB 52.8%
Russell Wilson SEA 48.3%
Peyton Manning DEN 48.2%
Kellen Clemens STL 48.0%
Matt Cassel MIN 47.4%
Geno Smith NYJ 46.7%
Alex D. Smith KC 46.3%
Matthew McGloin OAK 45.7%
Mike Glennon TB 45.0%

Despite his poor overall accuracy, Geno Smith was seventh-best on deep throws, completing 46.7% of passes 20 yards or more downfield, though that did come with seven interceptions — the only player in the Top 10 to throw more interceptions than touchdowns. He’s joined by fellow rookie Mike Glennon who finishes the Top 10 at 45.0%, but had the best touchdown-to-interception ratio among them with seven TDs and just one INT.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/02/12/signature-stats-accuracy-percentage-breakdown/
tj23

8/2/2015  1:55 AM
Fitzpatrick is very decent. He's another bad decision maker with a noodle arm but he's mobile and accurate. If Geno struggles early they need to move on quickly in my opinion. This team really should only need a game manager to fight for a playoff spot. At least on paper...
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

8/2/2015  11:57 AM
Not sure how many games I would give Geno to show that he's grown into a functional QB, but if we are losing games because of him he has to be replaced sooner rather than later, especially if our D and running game are doing well.

He was not drafted by the present front office or coach, so I expect them to pull the plug earlier than Rex would have done.

Bringing in the old-Fitzpatrick, and the new-Petty- tells you everything you need to know about their faith in Geno, now, and in the future.

You can't dress up Geno's ineptitude no matter what stats you throw out. As a fan I'm willing to see if new coaches and better receivers make a difference, but I'd have no problem with him losing his starting job during pre-season if another QB looked better.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
8/2/2015  11:59 AM
NOt sure what is up with the Chip Kelly allegations but I saw this on twitter.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
tj23

8/2/2015  1:57 PM
Hahaha
ChuckBuck
USA
8/3/2015  9:46 AM
Geno has up to the bye week, Week 5. No more no less.

If the Jets are somehow 500 or better, he gets a few more chances. If the Jets are 1-3 or 0-4, the Geno Smith era is over.

Best case scenario is he absolutely bombs, we scratch 500 or less this season maybe, and we trade Sheldon for a 1st rounder that potentially could be a decent QB prospect. We then see what we have in Bryce Petty and we bring in a decent free agent QB hopefully not washed up or way past their prime to compete for the starters job with Petty.

Why am I a Jets fan again?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy