[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

OT Donlad Trump #2 place now in Republican poll New Hampshire
Author Thread
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
7/6/2015  11:40 PM
Christie is a Goon. Can't take the heat, vindictive and is about as far away from looking presidential as anyone ever. The only worst candidate is Hilary
AUTOADVERT
DrAlphaeus
Alba Posts: 10
Member: #1781

7/7/2015  11:07 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/they-say-they-arrived-in-the-us-illegally-now-theyre-working-on-trumps-dc-hotel/2015/07/06/9a785116-20ec-11e5-84d5-eb37ee8eaa61_story.html

At Trump hotel site, immigrant workers wary
By Antonio Olivo July 6 at 9:21 PM

For weeks, dozens of construction workers from Latin America have streamed onto the site of the Old Post Office Pavilion in downtown Washington and taken pride in their work building one of the city’s newest luxury hotels.

But that job site is now laden with tension after the man behind the project — billionaire developer Donald Trump — put himself at the center of the nation’s debate over illegal immigration.

Trump garnered headlines — and prompted several business associates to sever relations with him — when he launched his bid for the Republican presidential nomination last month with a controversial description of drug dealers and “rapists” crossing the border each day into the United States from Mexico.

But a Trump company may be relying on some undocumented workers to finish the $200 million hotel, which will sit five blocks from the White House on Pennsylvania Avenue, according to several who work there. A Trump spokeswoman said the company and its contractors follow all applicable laws. But in light of Trump’s comments, some of the workers at the site said they are now worried about their jobs — while others simply expressed disgust over the opinions of the man ultimately responsible for the creation of those jobs.

All of them said they have been talking about Trump ever since his inflammatory remarks dominated coverage of his presidential announcement on June 16.

“It’s something ironic,” said Ivan Arellano, 29, who is from Mexico and obtained legal status through marriage. He now works as a mason laying the stonework for the lobby floor and walls of what will become the Trump International Hotel.

“The majority of us are Hispanics, many who came illegally,” Arellano said in Spanish. “And we’re all here working very hard to build a better life for our families.”

Interviews with about 15 laborers helping renovate the Old Post Office Pavilion revealed that many of them had crossed the U.S-Mexico border illegally before they eventually settled in the Washington region to build new lives.

Several of the men, who hail mostly from El Salvador, Honduras and Guatemala, have earned U.S. citizenship or legal status through immigration programs targeting Central Americans fleeing civil wars or natural disasters. Others quietly acknowledged that they remain in the country illegally.

“Most of the concern is that this escalates into a bigger problem,” said Daniel Gonzalez, 45, a sheet metal worker from El Salvador who crossed the border in the 1980s to escape his country’s civil war. He became a U.S. citizen after a federal immigration judge granted him asylum, he said.

“He might come one day and pretty much tell us to get the heck out of here,” Gonzalez said of Trump.

Several of the laborers — who travel to work from as far away as Baltimore or Manassas, Va., every day — fumed at Trump’s comments, saying that they have led honest lives that have allowed them to buy homes and raise U.S.-born children.

“Do you think that when we’re hanging out there from the eighth floor that we’re raping or selling drugs?” Ramon Alvarez, 48, a window worker from El Salvador, said during a break Monday morning just outside the construction site. “We’re risking our lives and our health. A lot of the chemicals we deal with are toxic.”

In response to questions from The Washington Post, Hope Hicks, a spokeswoman for the Trump Organization, issued a statement saying that the company and its contractors followed all applicable U.S. immigration laws when hiring the site’s several hundred workers.

“Our contractors are required to have prospective employees produce documentation that establishes identity and employment eligibility in compliance with immigration law,” the ­e-mailed statement said.

Lend Lease, the lead contractor at the site, “requires all contractors performing work at the project to follow all applicable federal, state and local laws,” the statement said.

Michael D. Cohen, executive vice president and legal counsel to Trump, said the question of illegal hiring practices had not arisen before at a Trump work site.

“Mr. Trump, who is the 100 percent owner of the Old Post Office, hired one of the largest contractors in the world to act as the general contractor,” Cohen said in a telephone interview. “That company is Lend Lease. They then go out and employ subcontractors to work for them. The obligation to check all workers on site is exclusive to Lend Lease. This of course assumes that the assertion regarding the employees’ status is accurate.”

A spokeswoman for Lend Lease declined to comment on any aspects of the project, which is expected to be finished by early 2016.

Hicks, also a spokeswoman for Trump’s political operation, said the campaign had no comment on the matter.

Trump’s comments about illegal immigration — which included a promise to “build a great, great wall on our southern border” and bill Mexico for the cost — reflect deep-rooted concerns among conservative voters over the effect of illegal immigration in the United States. Yet, concerns raised by workers at one of his company’s real estate ventures reveal the complexities of an issue that has long polarized the country.

The rapid rejection of Trump’s comments by some of his business partners may also reflect how perilous a topic immigration is, not just for Trump but the entire Republican presidential field.

Trump’s comments were popular with conservative activists across the country — and may even have helped elevate his status, with polls in the early nominating states Iowa and New Hampshire showing him gaining ground. But they were less popular among an increasingly diverse general electorate that serves as a consumer base for the influential corporate entities that were quick to distance themselves from the mogul’s remarks.

The NBC television network, the Macy’s department store chain and several other businesses have since severed ties with Trump — part of a backlash that has cheered Democrats and caused worry among Republicans seeking to win more Latino votes.

On Monday, several hundred people had also signed an online petition asking D.C. chef José Andrés to “dump Trump” by backing out of his deal to open the flagship restaurant at Trump’s hotel.

At the mammoth construction site in Washington that bears Trump’s name, workers said the controversy has caused some worry as they sandblast through layers of chipped paint in the 114-year-old building, install air-conditioning systems that will cool the new hotel’s 271 guest rooms, or cling to a scaffolding while they install windows.

The site is a bustling microcosm of blue-collar work life in Washington — with soaring turrets and a majestic clock tower that evoke the building’s heyday as the District’s main post office in the early 20th century.

Trucks roll in and out of the construction site carrying heavy loads of cement or carting off piles of debris. Over the din of surrounding traffic, foremen yell instructions to their charges, urging them to press forward on a project that will also include a massive ballroom, high-end restaurants and two luxurious suites in the former offices of the postmaster general.

Arms covered in dust, crowds of men recently took a break just outside the site while still wearing their hard hats and bright yellow construction vests, smoking cigarettes or arguing about sports in both English and Spanish.

Ahmad Samadi, 26, a site foreman who arrived last year from Afghanistan under U.S. political asylum, said he has had to learn some Spanish to communicate with his crew. “Most of the workers here are migrants,” he said. Pausing, Samadi added about Trump: “I don’t think it’s right, what he said. They’re hard workers.”

For David Montoya, 28, Trump’s comments are a harsh reminder that anyone who is not a U.S. citizen is vulnerable to stricter immigration laws in the country. A truck driver at the hotel site, Montoya arrived from El Salvador in 1997, gaining temporary protected status from deportation in 2001. “Every 18 months, I have to get it renewed,” he said, in perfect English, adding that he dreams of permanent legal status.

Montoya reflected on his journey as an immigrant, which now includes three U.S.-born children and a house that he and his wife own in a quiet section of Silver Spring, Md. He noted with pride that he thinks his story — one of coming to a new world, and of hard work paying off — is more impressive than that of the powerful developer whose name adorned the sign behind him as he spoke.

“Actually,” he reflected, “we’re more American than him.”

Baba Booey 2016 — "It's Silly Season"
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
7/8/2015  11:20 PM
Trump takes leadership position in North Carolina polls.
RIP Crushalot😞
DrAlphaeus

7/8/2015  11:54 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/9/2015  12:16 AM
What Trump can do for me if he's such a great leader who can handle being CEO of AmeriCorp is fully disclose that every building and merchandise he puts out is 100% free of illegal labor. And then be a champ and bring those tchotchke making jobs home. Have those luxurious and classy ties made by Americans from fabric to tailor. His housing properties, his ties, his TV production companies and everything with his name on it. He's got shenanigans going on at a site of his in our nation's capital. Even if it ends up he's got a Canadian TV graphics guy overstaying his visa working on Miss Universe, let's see him take the lead and flush out undocumented workers he is profiting off of. These companies are breaking the laws too, why are they being called on to stop profiting off of exploitation of undocumented workers?

As for polls, who knows. Small, outdated sample size relying on calling landlines? Or some website poll? It's more than a year and a half away and that's a long time from now. He's got crazy name recognition, that's half the battle with a poll.

I do hope he is in the debates with a baker's dozen of these other candidates. That's gonna be good TV. Does he blow the last of his money on this race as a corporate outcast?

jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
7/9/2015  8:18 AM
What Trump can do for me is get caught having an affair with Hillary. Now that would be good TV.
JesseDark
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #467
7/9/2015  2:44 PM
Trump will probably keep his act going and run as an independent. He will do for the republicans what Ross Perot did in '92. Can't wait to find out who his Admiral Stockdale will be.
Bring back dee-fense
TPercy
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #5748

7/10/2015  12:55 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/10/2015  12:58 AM
Christie is an agressive ass man.
I wonder how many times he got roasted in highschool..
The Future is Bright!
BRIGGS
7/11/2015  2:26 AM
I might vote for Trump just for the humor of it. I need some entertainment in my life lol
RIP Crushalot😞
jrodmc
USA
7/20/2015  8:15 AM
Well that was possibly the shortest campaign in modern history. What a stooge. BuhBye to The Donald. I actually was thinking I would have tuned into the debates to hear this moron say something else that's abominably stupid.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
7/20/2015  8:17 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/20/2015  8:19 AM
jrodmc wrote:Well that was possibly the shortest campaign in modern history. What a stooge. BuhBye to The Donald. I actually was thinking I would have tuned into the debates to hear this moron say something else that's abominably stupid.

huh? Did he drop out of the race?

Edit: Just yesterday he said:

‘I’m certainly not pulling out; I’m leading, and I’m leading in many states.’

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/donald-trump-not-sorry-for-comments-not-dropping-out-2015-07-19-111033349
DrAlphaeus

7/21/2015  7:30 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/21/2015  7:33 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/07/21/upshot/100000003811270.mobile.html

Wishful thinking jrod? He's at the top of the polls now I think and is still going hard. Heard he said Lindsey Graham was more stupid than Rick Perry and gave out his cell phone number.

Read that article and you'll see how dubious the actual numbers and methodology behind these polls are. And Trump will be up there instead of actual current governors... But hey why am I surprised when this is the country an AUSTRIAN WEIGHTLIFTER can marry a Kennedy and govern California?

DrAlphaeus

7/21/2015  7:41 PM
I'm guessing jrod is figuring the McCain isn't a war hero comments were going to kill his campaign. We'll see. I expect in the first debate it will be a feeding frenzy of rebuking on Trump. Could be a dangerous strategy, he might also just get ignored... In any case his numbers are going to have to plummet the next two weeks to not be included in the first debate.
BRIGGS
7/21/2015  10:43 PM
I think his own popularity has even surprised him--you could see it today. His access to media and his use of Social Media is just pounding the other candidates into submission. I think hes smart enough to "steer" somewhat clear of his desire to fight everyone out there who uses negative sentiment. If he stays on topic and appeals to the core of what Americans are looking for--he can win the Republican side.
RIP Crushalot😞
jrodmc
USA
7/22/2015  2:20 PM
DrAlphaeus wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/07/21/upshot/100000003811270.mobile.html

Wishful thinking jrod? He's at the top of the polls now I think and is still going hard. Heard he said Lindsey Graham was more stupid than Rick Perry and gave out his cell phone number.

Read that article and you'll see how dubious the actual numbers and methodology behind these polls are. And Trump will be up there instead of actual current governors... But hey why am I surprised when this is the country an AUSTRIAN WEIGHTLIFTER can marry a Kennedy and govern California?

I cannot believe the American people have been this dumbed down by the idiot box that a blatant moron with absolutely nothing approaching any sufficient experience can lead anything. 16 Republicans running now... we'll probably get to 20 before the summer's over... your next POTUS, Lady Hilarious.

Well, maybe Howard Cosell was right. You can get to the top of some groups by simply standing upright.

DrAlphaeus

7/22/2015  2:42 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/22/2015  2:43 PM
jrodmc wrote:
DrAlphaeus wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/07/21/upshot/100000003811270.mobile.html

I cannot believe the American people have been this dumbed down by the idiot box that a blatant moron with absolutely nothing approaching any sufficient experience can lead anything. 16 Republicans running now... we'll probably get to 20 before the summer's over... your next POTUS, Lady Hilarious.

Well, maybe Howard Cosell was right. You can get to the top of some groups by simply standing upright.

The 1987 movie "The Running Man" depicted 2017 US society as a dystopian post-economic collapse totalitarian police state mesmerized by lowest common denominator television culture.

It also featured a fight scene between two future US governors: Mr Universe (R-CA) and Jesse the Body (I-MN).

Real life is better than fiction.

BasketballJones
Alba Posts: 19
Member: #290
USA
7/22/2015  8:52 PM
jrodmc wrote:

He perfectly embodies everything the republican electorate is looking for. Get on board jrod!

https:// It's not so hard.
jrodmc
USA
7/24/2015  8:14 AM
BasketballJones wrote:
jrodmc wrote:

He perfectly embodies everything the republican electorate is looking for. Get on board jrod!

Sorry, BBJ. I cancelled cable back in 2001. I don't have the same frame of reference you do.

BTW, does Hilary embody what the democratic electorate is looking for?

BRIGGS
8/4/2015  3:22 PM
Excellent interview with Joe S this am. Trump is starting to sound very very good. You ask yourself what is the alternative and I'm not sure there is a better one than DT.
RIP Crushalot😞
DrAlphaeus

8/7/2015  3:15 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/7/2015  3:26 PM
Fox News starts the official election season with a bang! Trump still not yet out of this. I think Kasich & Fiorina got the most boost in attention: Fiorina in the D-League debate might get called up being the only person besides Rand Paul to call out Trump... Christie got Guiliani Jersey on Paul, and Carson I can't read how he may have fared. Meanwhile Trump basically admits to buying politicians for favors and as wedding guests (Hillary, haha) and his supporters are attacking Fox News for attacking their boy. Fox News created a few monsters on that stage and now I feel like I'm watching Gozilla vs Mothra vs Rodan on Roger Ailes Monster Island.

This is a very entertaining if worrying scenario that has all these pundits bewildered.

None of these candidates impressed me except Kasich's realistic answers re Obamacare and gay marriage. Didn't see the D-League game though.

I really wish that God question got to Trump though.

gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
8/8/2015  7:31 AM
Trump kicking ass and taking names.

President Donald John Trump? Not a crazy afterthought afterall all correct?

OT Donlad Trump #2 place now in Republican poll New Hampshire

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy