[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

DeAndre Jordan & Tobias Harris would compliment Carmelo nicely.
Author Thread
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
6/30/2015  8:56 PM
mreinman wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
mreinman wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
mreinman wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
mreinman wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:
nixluva wrote:I'd prefer Jordan, Danny Green and Bjelica. If not Jordan than Monroe, Green and Bjelica.

Well you can't do that unless you Stretch Calderon. I think a real option is sending a 1st with Calderon if that's what it would cost. Who knows maybe they can do it for cash and two 2s.

My plan for if they traded Calderon would be.

Monroe
Green/Carroll/ Harris
Joseph

Then use the TPE from Jose to do a S&T for Bjelica.

That would possibly get the team several young players with experience. IF the Knicks could get Monroe to take a contract starting at $14m since he wants to have a short contract would be all the better.

Say they get those players to sign contracts starting at $14m, $12, and $7m that would creat almost $3m to use to sign one more player and that's not counting the room exception money.

Why is Tobias Harris' WS48 so weak? I really have not watched him that much (who watches orlando?) so its hard for me to see why we would pay this guy so much money.

That's a good question. I'm not entirely sure. However, WS48 around .100 is not bad for a 22 year old. Very few 22 year olds are average NBA players.

he has played 4 years already. What has he shown to deserve to be paid so much? Just on potential? We are gonna pay a guy 12-15 per on potential?

Yeah, I think that is a little too much. I'd still project that a 22 year old with 4 years experience will have significantly better numbers by 25 and in his 7th year. I could easily see the WS48 going up to .140 or so.

can you provide a comp?

fyi: Monroe's first 2 years were .143, .161

The best I can do is share this link but it shows how total win shares (not WS 48) change as players age.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/blog/?p=2953

If a guy does not have 1 good WS48 year after being in the league for 4 years, I would think that it is crazy to pay him like a star.

Well is $12 mil paying him to be a star? That's probably comparable to $8 mil in the new CBA. I think 9 mil in this CBA would be more reasonable than 12 though. He wouldn't be my first choice but I wouldn't rule him out either.
AUTOADVERT
stopstandthere
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #6004

6/30/2015  8:57 PM
Tobias and Melo would be a confusion of division of labour on the court. It does not look good to me.
mreinman
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3189

6/30/2015  8:58 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
mreinman wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
mreinman wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
mreinman wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
mreinman wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:
nixluva wrote:I'd prefer Jordan, Danny Green and Bjelica. If not Jordan than Monroe, Green and Bjelica.

Well you can't do that unless you Stretch Calderon. I think a real option is sending a 1st with Calderon if that's what it would cost. Who knows maybe they can do it for cash and two 2s.

Monroe
Green/Carroll/ Harris
Joseph

That would possibly get the team several young players with experience. IF the Knicks could get Monroe to take a contract starting at $14m since he wants to have a short contract would be all the better.

Say they get those players to sign contracts starting at $14m, $12, and $7m that would creat almost $3m to use to sign one more player and that's not counting the room exception money.

Why is Tobias Harris' WS48 so weak? I really have not watched him that much (who watches orlando?) so its hard for me to see why we would pay this guy so much money.

That's a good question. I'm not entirely sure. However, WS48 around .100 is not bad for a 22 year old. Very few 22 year olds are average NBA players.

he has played 4 years already. What has he shown to deserve to be paid so much? Just on potential? We are gonna pay a guy 12-15 per on potential?

Yeah, I think that is a little too much. I'd still project that a 22 year old with 4 years experience will have significantly better numbers by 25 and in his 7th year. I could easily see the WS48 going up to .140 or so.

can you provide a comp?

The best I can do is share this link but it shows how total win shares (not WS 48) change as players age.

If a guy does not have 1 good WS48 year after being in the league for 4 years, I would think that it is crazy to pay him like a star.

Well is $12 mil paying him to be a star? That's probably comparable to $8 mil in the new CBA. I think 9 mil in this CBA would be more reasonable than 12 though. He wouldn't be my first choice but I wouldn't rule him out either.

Again, I am not judging him since I have not really seen him play but just going on the WS48, I would be really hesitant and would really need to trust that Phil and the knicks see really high potential.

so here is what phil is thinking ....
yellowboy90
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #3538

6/30/2015  9:03 PM
Basketballinsiders did a breakdown of the salaries percentage for the cap as it increases over the next few years.

Also, I believe Zach Lowe just put out an article how you can't over pay based on how high the cap will be the following years.

I'm not at my computer or I would post the links.

newyorker4ever
Member: #5816

6/30/2015  9:09 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/30/2015  9:21 PM
TLover wrote:Tobias & Carmelo are interchange at the 3/4. DeAndre can provide that defensive presence in the for them. Also both guys have upside in that Tobias is 22 & DeAndre is 26.

So what do we do with Porzingis after we sign two players that we'd want for like 5 years?? Whoever we sign to play PF needs to be on a two year at most contract. I think we can find players to play the PF spot with the veteran minimum contracts or for two year contracts like B.Bass, R.Evans, T.Hansbrough, J.Smith, D.Williams, A.Bargnani and Porzingis will be ready for the starting PF spot in two years. This is why i think D.West would be a good fit.
newyorker4ever

6/30/2015  9:12 PM

I'd be happy if we came away with either of those and then we can sign some veterans to the vet min contracts.

newyorker4ever

6/30/2015  9:16 PM
mreinman wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:

Monroe
Green/Carroll/ Harris
Joseph

I live in Orlando and a lot of the sports radio stations blame his slow growth on who their coach has been in Jaques Vaughn who was a horrible coach for the magic. The kid has plenty of talent and i'd love to see what he could do if he played with some veterans around him cause Orlando is nothing but young players.

H1AND1
Member: #5648

6/30/2015  10:00 PM
mreinman wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
mreinman wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
mreinman wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:

Monroe
Green/Carroll/ Harris
Joseph

can you provide a comp?

Harris has really only had one "good" year in terms of all around efficiency. He just started hitting the 3 at a decent clip and rebounding to his ability. He is only 22. I can see him developing into a very solid starter but yeah it's a gamble paying him the max. Tho I feel like a broken record in all these threads about FA's in that IF Harris plays to his potential a $15 mil salary when the cap explodes will be one of the best bargains in the NBA.

VCoug
Member: #1406

6/30/2015  10:22 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
mreinman wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
mreinman wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
mreinman wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:

Monroe
Green/Carroll/ Harris
Joseph

can you provide a comp?

Boom: http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&type=totals&per_minute_base=36&per_poss_base=100&lg_id=NBA&is_playoffs=N&year_min=&year_max=&franch_id=&season_start=1&season_end=-1&age_min=0&age_max=22&height_min=0&height_max=99&shoot_hand=&birth_country_is=Y&birth_country=&birth_state=&college_id=&draft_year=&is_active=&debut_yr_nba_start=&debut_yr_nba_end=&debut_yr_aba_start=&debut_yr_aba_end=&is_hof=&is_as=&as_comp=gt&as_val=&award=&pos_is_g=Y&pos_is_gf=Y&pos_is_f=Y&pos_is_fg=Y&pos_is_fc=Y&pos_is_c=Y&pos_is_cf=Y&qual=&c1stat=mp&c1comp=gt&c1val=1000&c2stat=ws_per_48&c2comp=gt&c2val=0.09&c3stat=&c3comp=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&c5stat=&c5comp=gt&c6mult=1.0&c6stat=&order_by=age&order_by_asc=Y

List of players who had WS/48 of at least 0.09 by age 22.

Now the joy of my world is in Zion How beautiful if nothing more Than to wait at Zion's door I've never been in love like this before Now let me pray to keep you from The perils that will surely come
H1AND1

6/30/2015  10:54 PM
yellowboy90 wrote:Basketballinsiders did a breakdown of the salaries percentage for the cap as it increases over the next few years.

Also, I believe Zach Lowe just put out an article how you can't over pay based on how high the cap will be the following years.

I'd like to read that because it logically makes sense that contracts would become bargains relative to other higher contracts. I believe in Lowes latest piece he even mentioned how so and so's deal would "become a bargain". I'd def like to read the piece you are talking about because I've been assuming all this time and I could very well be way off base!

yellowboy90
Member: #3538

6/30/2015  11:26 PM
H1AND1 wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:Basketballinsiders did a breakdown of the salaries percentage for the cap as it increases over the next few years.

I'd like to read that because it logically makes sense that contracts would become bargains relative to other higher contracts. I believe in Lowes latest piece he even mentioned how so and so's deal would "become a bargain". I'd def like to read the piece you are talking about because I've been assuming all this time and I could very well be way off base!

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nba-am-what-are-nba-free-agents-worth/

Salary $66.7m $87m $97

$5m 7.5% 5.7% 5.2%

$7m 10.5% 8.0% 7.2%

$9m 13.5% 10.3% 12.4%

$12m 18.0% 13.8% 12.4%

$14m 21.0% 16.1% 14.4%

$16m 24.0% 18.4% 16.5%

$18m 27.0% 20.7% 18.6%

$20m 30.0% 23.0% 20.6%

Bonn1997
USA
7/1/2015  7:32 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/1/2015  7:33 AM
VCoug wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
mreinman wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
mreinman wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
mreinman wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:

Monroe
Green/Carroll/ Harris
Joseph

can you provide a comp?

Boom: http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&type=totals&per_minute_base=36&per_poss_base=100&lg_id=NBA&is_playoffs=N&year_min=&year_max=&franch_id=&season_start=1&season_end=-1&age_min=0&age_max=22&height_min=0&height_max=99&shoot_hand=&birth_country_is=Y&birth_country=&birth_state=&college_id=&draft_year=&is_active=&debut_yr_nba_start=&debut_yr_nba_end=&debut_yr_aba_start=&debut_yr_aba_end=&is_hof=&is_as=&as_comp=gt&as_val=&award=&pos_is_g=Y&pos_is_gf=Y&pos_is_f=Y&pos_is_fg=Y&pos_is_fc=Y&pos_is_c=Y&pos_is_cf=Y&qual=&c1stat=mp&c1comp=gt&c1val=1000&c2stat=ws_per_48&c2comp=gt&c2val=0.09&c3stat=&c3comp=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&c5stat=&c5comp=gt&c6mult=1.0&c6stat=&order_by=age&order_by_asc=Y

Interesting. I only scanned through that list but I see that the following players were still only average (around .100) by age 22 and year 3 but later peaked:
Tyson Chandler, year 3, age 21, WS 48 .116
DeMarcus Cousins, year 3, age 22, WS 48 .092
Steve Nash, year 4, age 25, WS .094
Chauncey Billups, year 4, age 24, .098
DeAndre Jordan, year 3, age 22, .122

These weren't down years for those guys. The players just didn't peak until later.
I still think the trend is more informative than individual cases. It would be nice to see what the average change in WS48 by age and years of experience is.

gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
7/1/2015  10:15 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:
VCoug wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
mreinman wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
mreinman wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
mreinman wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:

Monroe
Green/Carroll/ Harris
Joseph

can you provide a comp?

Interesting. I only scanned through that list but I see that the following players were still only average (around .100) by age 22 and year 3 but later peaked:

These weren't down years for those guys. The players just didn't peak until later.
I still think the trend is more informative than individual cases. It would be nice to see what the average change in WS48 by age and years of experience is.

PG's & Bigs are more likely to take a few years to peak than SF's. You need to develop both physically and mentally to play PG & big. SF have the luxury to float around in between the sesame of the offense and defense. Either they are efficient offensively and defensively or they are not.

Any SF's on that list? After 4yrs as a SF his WS should be higher.

VCoug

7/1/2015  10:21 AM
gunsnewing wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:Interesting. I only scanned through that list but I see that the following players were still only average (around .100) by age 22 and year 3 but later peaked:

PG's & Bigs are more likely to take a few years to peak than SF's. You need to develop both physically and mentally to play PG & big. SF have the luxury to float around in between the sesame of the offense and defense. Either they are efficient offensively and defensively or they are not.

Yup:

Player Age WS/48

Melo 20 0.090
Ryan Anderson 20 0.090
Tim Thomas 20 0.091
Corey Maggette 20 0.091
Paul George 20 0.091

Now the joy of my world is in Zion How beautiful if nothing more Than to wait at Zion's door I've never been in love like this before Now let me pray to keep you from The perils that will surely come
mreinman
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3189

7/1/2015  10:26 AM
VCoug wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:Interesting. I only scanned through that list but I see that the following players were still only average (around .100) by age 22 and year 3 but later peaked:

Yup:

Player Age WS/48

Melo 20 0.090
Ryan Anderson 20 0.090
Tim Thomas 20 0.091
Corey Maggette 20 0.091
Paul George 20 0.091

Age 20?

We are talking about after 4 years.

so here is what phil is thinking ....
Bonn1997
USA
7/1/2015  10:45 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/1/2015  10:46 AM
gunsnewing wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
VCoug wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
mreinman wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
mreinman wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
mreinman wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:

Monroe
Green/Carroll/ Harris
Joseph

can you provide a comp?

SFs develop quicker than the other 4 positions? It's a hypothesis that may or may not be true. Unless that list can be sorted by position, I think it would take to long to look through it. Looking for individual cases isn't really that helpful anyway. We'd really need data on peak win shares by age and position to see the general trend. In science, you have to always assume the null hypothesis (no difference or effect, in this case no difference by position) until it's proven false though.
I wouldn't be surprised if the issue is really just that players with a bigger role on offense (regardless of position) take longer to peak but that too is just a hypothesis.
H1AND1

7/1/2015  10:47 AM
yellowboy90 wrote:
H1AND1 wrote:

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nba-am-what-are-nba-free-agents-worth/

Salary $66.7m $87m $97

$5m 7.5% 5.7% 5.2%

$7m 10.5% 8.0% 7.2%

$9m 13.5% 10.3% 12.4%

$12m 18.0% 13.8% 12.4%

$14m 21.0% 16.1% 14.4%

$16m 24.0% 18.4% 16.5%

$18m 27.0% 20.7% 18.6%

$20m 30.0% 23.0% 20.6%

From the article

some of those contracts that looked sort of fishy last summer are going to look better and better as the cap grows.

That's all i meant and the article doesn't disprove that some contracts will become "better" after the cap balloons. Sure, if a FA asks for more because the cap will rise in 2 years then its a moot point. But if you max a guy like Middleton now, he cant get "more" and consequently that contract will also become a bargain in 2 seasons because it will be a smaller portion of the cap.

VCoug

7/1/2015  11:18 AM
mreinman wrote:
VCoug wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:

Yup:

Player Age WS/48

Melo 20 0.090
Ryan Anderson 20 0.090
Tim Thomas 20 0.091
Corey Maggette 20 0.091
Paul George 20 0.091

Age 20?

We are talking about after 4 years.

Those are just the first 4 guys I saw. It's a huge list.

DeAndre Jordan & Tobias Harris would compliment Carmelo nicely.

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy