[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Ford/Russillo on the Zinger
Author Thread
GodSaveTheKnicks
Alba Posts: 21
Member: #1207
USA
6/30/2015  9:22 AM
They start talking Knicks at around 8 min. up to about 14:30.

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/grantland/player?id=13154421

TLDR: They love that Phil had the balls to take the Zinger. Ford thinks he was the 2nd best guy behind KAT. At the same time Ford's scared to death that the Knicks/Phil/Fisher/Melo won't have the patience to do what the Mavs did with Dirk, put him out there for 20-25 minutes a game and let him play through the suck. Ford thinks Knicks should trade Melo to a contender to chase a chip and rebuild the right way.

*I assume this means we get picks back so we don't just suck and not reap the rewards of sucking

Let's try to elevate the level of discourse in this byeetch. Please
AUTOADVERT
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
6/30/2015  11:14 AM
GodSaveTheKnicks wrote:They start talking Knicks at around 8 min. up to about 14:30.

TLDR: They love that Phil had the balls to take the Zinger. Ford thinks he was the 2nd best guy behind KAT. At the same time Ford's scared to death that the Knicks/Phil/Fisher/Melo won't have the patience to do what the Mavs did with Dirk, put him out there for 20-25 minutes a game and let him play through the suck. Ford thinks Knicks should trade Melo to a contender to chase a chip and rebuild the right way.

*I assume this means we get picks back so we don't just suck and not reap the rewards of sucking

If we trade melo for potential players and picks, next year will not be great and media will ride Phil to sell papers. He'll get grilled and the short attention crowd will lose perspective.
At the same time, Toronto owns our pick and two things come to mind:

1. We will look bad over and over when toronto does well with the pick
2. Briggs will remind us the obvious.
3. SAS will do the same but with all the pomp and anger he can muster.
4. Knicks1969 will think WCS would have gotten us into the finals.
5. Either way, Nixluva will be confident going forward.

meloshouldgo
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5801

6/30/2015  11:33 AM
Nalod wrote:
GodSaveTheKnicks wrote:They start talking Knicks at around 8 min. up to about 14:30.

If we trade melo for potential players and picks, next year will not be great and media will ride Phil to sell papers. He'll get grilled and the short attention crowd will lose perspective.

Two plus zero equals fuve for very large values of two??

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

6/30/2015  11:47 AM

Yeah...before the draft Russillo was on the radio and also said that he would take Porzingis over OK4 and Russell.

This is a Russillo Tweet well before the draft.

Russell has a lot of talent, but I think the Lakers take OK4 and his post game if he can play any kind of D, IMO. When it seem like we might have a choice of Towns or OK4, it was OK4's D which made me believe Towns was the best choice for any team picking #1.

You don't pass on a guy like OK4 and what he should be able to do out of the post -both scoring and passing- if you are LA, unless you have some real doubts about one aspect of his game.

I think Phil would have taken OK4 over Porzingis, anyway, but his lack of movement as a defensive players was significant to me.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
6/30/2015  12:01 PM
This could be a blessing in disguise. Falling to #4 and having Philly take OK4 could work out great for us. KP is a more versatile player and has higher upside IMO. He could develop into a rim protector in addition to being a great scorer. It wasn't how I thought things would go but i'm not sorry for how this played out.

The one thing Ford was saying that I disagree with is that he worried about KP being in NY and whether Phil and Fish would allow him to play and make mistakes. So far they have been letting young players get on the floor. Phil's statements sound like he expects KP to be playing quite a bit. It didn't sound like he was expecting to hide the kid. I think KP just has to do his thing and he'll be fine. Just play his game as he has been playing in ACB. He's got to learn his spots in this offense but he should take to this style of play which is similar to what he was doing in Europe.

VCoug
Member: #1406

6/30/2015  12:13 PM
Nalod wrote:

In all likelihood, even with Melo next year won't be great anyway. We might as well get something out of it.

Now the joy of my world is in Zion How beautiful if nothing more Than to wait at Zion's door I've never been in love like this before Now let me pray to keep you from The perils that will surely come
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
6/30/2015  1:29 PM
VCoug wrote:
Nalod wrote:

In all likelihood, even with Melo next year won't be great anyway. We might as well get something out of it.

But we won't. We have to let the triangle work itself in regardless of the outcome. We have to play KP 20 a nite, and we don't have a pick in any event.
we will read on the UK and the press more short term centric whining.

Its what it is. Its what was done. We don't have the pick and playing to avoid that embarassment vs. development is the choice.

Would it be better to take a safer short term pick and sign players just prevent Toronto from embarassing us?

WaltLongmire

6/30/2015  1:38 PM
Nalod wrote:
VCoug wrote:
Nalod wrote:

But we won't. We have to let the triangle work itself in regardless of the outcome. We have to play KP 20 a nite, and we don't have a pick in any event.

Its what it is. Its what was done. We don't have the pick and playing to avoid that embarassment vs. development is the choice.

Would it be better to take a safer short term pick and sign players just prevent Toronto from embarassing us?

May way of mentally compensating for the lack of an official #1 pick for next year, is to consider Hernangomez as a late first round pick, in the 23-30 range.

There was talk about hims being a late #1 this year if he could have bought his contract out before the upcoming season.

Since he will not be with the Knicks this year, but will be getting another year of experience against very good competition, I will consider him to be pick #25 in next year's draft when he comes to the Knicks next year, so that I don't get too angry over losing that pick to Toronto.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
Cartman718
Member: #1694

6/30/2015  2:50 PM
nixluva wrote:This could be a blessing in disguise. Falling to #4 and having Philly take OK4 could work out great for us. KP is a more versatile player and has higher upside IMO. He could develop into a rim protector in addition to being a great scorer. It wasn't how I thought things would go but i'm not sorry for how this played out.

The one thing Ford was saying that I disagree with is that he worried about KP being in NY and whether Phil and Fish would allow him to play and make mistakes. So far they have been letting young players get on the floor. Phil's statements sound like he expects KP to be playing quite a bit. It didn't sound like he was expecting to hide the kid. I think KP just has to do his thing and he'll be fine. Just play his game as he has been playing in ACB. He's got to learn his spots in this offense but he should take to this style of play which is similar to what he was doing in Europe.

dude you got called out in the thread for having rose colored glasses on and you still come back with another "everything is fine" comment.

i dont care if dolan forced phil's hand... phil should have said... "no i am not going to resign melo to a long term contract at THAT price and into especially one that has a no-trade clause. if you want to fire me after you just hired me and put another nail in the coffin to the disgrace you are as an owner (not in those words exactly), then feel free to do so. this team needs to be rebuilt the right way and you are just going to have to be patient just like the rest of the fan base".

instead what did phil do... he paid melo and he played one of his cronies... fisher.

How is that on melo OR fisher for that matter...they are the lower rung employees. He's upper management. He holds the cards and instead he decides.... i am going to get pizzaid instead of getting fired if Dolan wants melo that bad and then still try to do the right thing later.

He's smart enough to know that those 2 contradicting beginnings that are not really going to work out as we would have liked for the knicks.

Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
nixluva
USA
6/30/2015  3:22 PM
Cartman718 wrote:
nixluva wrote:This could be a blessing in disguise. Falling to #4 and having Philly take OK4 could work out great for us. KP is a more versatile player and has higher upside IMO. He could develop into a rim protector in addition to being a great scorer. It wasn't how I thought things would go but i'm not sorry for how this played out.

dude you got called out in the thread for having rose colored glasses on and you still come back with another "everything is fine" comment.

i dont care if dolan forced phil's hand... phil should have said... "no i am not going to resign melo to a long term contract at THAT price and into especially one that has a no-trade clause. if you want to fire me after you just hired me and put another nail in the coffin to the disgrace you are as an owner (not in those words exactly), then feel free to do so. this team needs to be rebuilt the right way and you are just going to have to be patient just like the rest of the fan base".

instead what did phil do... he paid melo and he played one of his cronies... fisher.

How is that on melo OR fisher for that matter...they are the lower rung employees. He's upper management. He holds the cards and instead he decides.... i am going to get pizzaid instead of getting fired if Dolan wants melo that bad and then still try to do the right thing later.

He's smart enough to know that those 2 contradicting beginnings that are not really going to work out as we would have liked for the knicks.

Called out about "rose colored glasses"? LOL. Man i've been here for a decade and nothing has changed me. I'm not gonna be subdued by some other guys opinion after all these years. You got it twisted Bruh.

I disagree with your take on Phil. Phil was comfortable with keeping Melo and building with him in place, so be it. You think Phil should've gotten rid of Melo, that's your opinion. Doesn't make it right. You think it's a bad idea for Phil to surround himself with guys he's won titles with? He has his team of guys that have been with him for years and know how he likes things done. That was a smart move on his part. He's moving ahead with his guys from D League thru the NBA Team. There will be a clear vision and culture from top to bottom. How is that a bad thing?

Phil is doing what's best for this franchise. What did Phil do wrong in this draft? He got the best talent that he could get. He's going into Free Agency with a plan. Basically you have no argument past a dislike for Melo.

Cartman718
Member: #1694

6/30/2015  3:32 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/30/2015  3:32 PM
nixluva wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:

Called out about "rose colored glasses"? LOL. Man i've been here for a decade and nothing has changed me. I'm not gonna be subdued by some other guys opinion after all these years. You got it twisted Bruh.

I disagree with your take on Phil. Phil was comfortable with keeping Melo and building with him in place, so be it. You think Phil should've gotten rid of Melo, that's your opinion. Doesn't make it right. You think it's a bad idea for Phil to surround himself with guys he's won titles with? He has his team of guys that have been with him for years and know how he likes things done. That was a smart move on his part. He's moving ahead with his guys from D League thru the NBA Team. There will be a clear vision and culture from top to bottom. How is that a bad thing?

Phil is doing what's best for this franchise. What did Phil do wrong in this draft? He got the best talent that he could get. He's going into Free Agency with a plan. Basically you have no argument past a dislike for Melo.

i actually do not dislike melo as a player that much. not tkf dk7th bad. i hate his untradeable contract though.
i do think it's a bad idea for phil to surround himself with people that he's won titles with actually. thats a sort of nepotism.

i dont know if fisher will ever become a 'great' coach. i am sure if he had done his due diligence, he'd have found other options that are more viable.

Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
nixluva
USA
6/30/2015  3:54 PM
Cartman718 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:

i actually do not dislike melo as a player that much. not tkf dk7th bad. i hate his untradeable contract though.
i do think it's a bad idea for phil to surround himself with people that he's won titles with actually. thats a sort of nepotism.

i dont know if fisher will ever become a 'great' coach. i am sure if he had done his due diligence, he'd have found other options that are more viable.

Nepotism? Like Doc bringing in his son? I mean really I think it's only natural for Phil to bring in guys he trusts and has a good working relationship with. He also brought in guys that he had no relationship with and kept some guys on staff from the previous regime. He's basing it on their skills and performance.

Fisher is not a bad coach. This idea that just cuz the team failed that it was on Fisher is not accurate. Fisher kept his team motivated until the end and got killed cuz his team was playing hard and actually won games. The Knicks may not have had great talent but they were a well coached team. When he has better talent it will become clear that he's not a bad coach. Whether he becomes a great coach remains to be seen, but he did some things this year that worked but it gets overshadowed by the record.

We can't fully judge Phil until we see what he does over the next few weeks and how it all meshes next season.

VCoug

6/30/2015  3:58 PM
Nalod wrote:
VCoug wrote:
Nalod wrote:

Dude, if you think me wanting to trade Melo and do a full rebuild that will likely take several years is "short term centric whining" I don't know what to tell you.

Now the joy of my world is in Zion How beautiful if nothing more Than to wait at Zion's door I've never been in love like this before Now let me pray to keep you from The perils that will surely come
StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

6/30/2015  4:08 PM
nixluva wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:

Nepotism? Like Doc bringing in his son? I mean really I think it's only natural for Phil to bring in guys he trusts and has a good working relationship with. He also brought in guys that he had no relationship with and kept some guys on staff from the previous regime. He's basing it on their skills and performance.

Fisher is not a bad coach. This idea that just cuz the team failed that it was on Fisher is not accurate. Fisher kept his team motivated until the end and got killed cuz his team was playing hard and actually won games. The Knicks may not have had great talent but they were a well coached team. When he has better talent it will become clear that he's not a bad coach. Whether he becomes a great coach remains to be seen, but he did some things this year that worked but it gets overshadowed by the record.

We can't fully judge Phil until we see what he does over the next few weeks and how it all meshes next season.

nix i think you misinterpreted what i said in a previous thread. I think you are a terrific fan and your optimistic approach is good thing. Also im not trying to change your views. However you seem to get upset if people have a tad of crticism about the knicks or even some uncertainty. I understand where you are coming from but a little criticism isnt a bad thing. It just means we love the knicks and want more than anything is for them to not repeat past mistakes
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
6/30/2015  4:09 PM
It annoys me that both Ford and Russillo got the Jackson quote wrong - he didn't say it'd take the kid five years to develop. He said no one would be able to judge if it was the right pick until five years from now. He actually said he'd be able to contribute in about a year. Meh.
¿ △ ?
WaltLongmire

6/30/2015  4:49 PM
crzymdups wrote:It annoys me that both Ford and Russillo got the Jackson quote wrong - he didn't say it'd take the kid five years to develop. He said no one would be able to judge if it was the right pick until five years from now. He actually said he'd be able to contribute in about a year. Meh.

...and the actual question Jackson originally responded to was about Porzingis being perhaps considered the top pick in the draft 10 years down the line.

I can accept if one of us jumps on something and does not understand what was actually said, but it annoys me when commentators don't understand something that was said.

With that said, I thought they wee right about a lot of things- especially that KP needs consistent minutes can't be coddled like a child.

We will see if Jackson has the guts to push Fisher to give him playing time, even if he struggles at first.

Ford was right about feeling as he did about KP in a NYK setting, and that for KP's development, Orlando might have been a better team for him in some ways.

Best line I heard= that after Cousins issue, was Ford saying that drafting Stein at 6 was like "draft make-up sex."

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
6/30/2015  4:59 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:
crzymdups wrote:It annoys me that both Ford and Russillo got the Jackson quote wrong - he didn't say it'd take the kid five years to develop. He said no one would be able to judge if it was the right pick until five years from now. He actually said he'd be able to contribute in about a year. Meh.

...and the actual question Jackson originally responded to was about Porzingis being perhaps considered the top pick in the draft 10 years down the line.

I can accept if one of us jumps on something and does not understand what was actually said, but it annoys me when commentators don't understand something that was said.

With that said, I thought they wee right about a lot of things- especially that KP needs consistent minutes can't be coddled like a child.

We will see if Jackson has the guts to push Fisher to give him playing time, even if he struggles at first.

Ford was right about feeling as he did about KP in a NYK setting, and that for KP's development, Orlando might have been a better team for him in some ways.

Best line I heard= that after Cousins issue, was Ford saying that drafting Stein at 6 was like "draft make-up sex."

We have already seen Gallo get consistent starting minutes, why not KP?

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
6/30/2015  5:06 PM
martin wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:

I went back to the game log and Gallo's rookie season, which he missed a lot of due to injury, he only played around 15mpg. Year 2 he was playing 33mpg

I tend to think Kristaps will be between 15-20mpg his first season with a few injury issues as his body gets used to the NBA schedule and stuff.

We'll see.

Side note - I forgot that Gallo actually averaged 15ppg his second and third seasons here.

¿ △ ?
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
6/30/2015  5:08 PM
crzymdups wrote:
martin wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:

I went back to the game log and Gallo's rookie season, which he missed a lot of due to injury, he only played around 15mpg. Year 2 he was playing 33mpg

I tend to think Kristaps will be between 15-20mpg his first season with a few injury issues as his body gets used to the NBA schedule and stuff.

We'll see.

Side note - I forgot that Gallo actually averaged 15ppg his second and third seasons here.

Langston Galloway, just last year, with Phil and Fisher.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
VCoug

6/30/2015  5:15 PM
martin wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
martin wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:

We'll see.

Langston Galloway, just last year, with Phil and Fisher.

On the other hand, Early barely played even when he was healthy.

Ford/Russillo on the Zinger

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy