[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Zings, Grant, Gomez, Monroe, West, Affalo A++++++
Author Thread
RonRon
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #246
6/30/2015  12:47 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/30/2015  12:49 PM
Really hope this is a smoke screen, I think he isn't worth the gamble at his age as he struggled for an entire year and has injury concerns as well
It could be like when AK47 opted out of his contract that payed him very well on Twovles to make much less to go to The Nets

Also Willie Herndez, KP's team mate isn't coming over this year and could have been selected to help KP feel secure to validate he is part of our future and NOT a trading chip
He is young and has HIGH IQ, though has athleticism/mobility concerns, he can improve as he can still grow and continue to work on his game

We must trust our scout as well, who has done a great job in evaluating talent

AUTOADVERT
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
6/30/2015  12:49 PM
meloanyk wrote:
crzymdups wrote:This free agency predictions article has the Knicks signing Monroe, Afflalo and West at the estimated amounts of:

Monroe 2yr $30M
Afflalo 4yr $44M
West 2yr $12M

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2015/6/30/8868203/nba-free-agency-predictions-kevin-love-lamarcus-aldridge

For 4/$40 I would sign an up and comer in 22 y/o Harris. Think he gets more though

Harris is pursuing max offer sheets. And he might get them. He's one of only 9 nba players in history to average 17ppg 6rpg before the age of 22yrs.

¿ △ ?
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

6/30/2015  12:52 PM
crzymdups wrote:
meloanyk wrote:
crzymdups wrote:This free agency predictions article has the Knicks signing Monroe, Afflalo and West at the estimated amounts of:

Monroe 2yr $30M
Afflalo 4yr $44M
West 2yr $12M

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2015/6/30/8868203/nba-free-agency-predictions-kevin-love-lamarcus-aldridge

For 4/$40 I would sign an up and comer in 22 y/o Harris. Think he gets more though

Harris is pursuing max offer sheets. And he might get them. He's one of only 9 nba players in history to average 17ppg 6rpg before the age of 22yrs.

I forgot about Harris...he is definitely the type of player we need to target. He is young, from LI, friends with Melo and we have plenty of minutes to offer...i would go after him....

VCoug
Member: #1406

6/30/2015  1:04 PM
crzymdups wrote:
VCoug wrote:Everyone's talking about the MLE but we don't have it because we'll be under the cap. The only exception we could have is the room exception which is something like $2M. The MLE and the TPEs will all be gone tomorrow when we go under the cap.

We get the mid-level once we use up the cap room. The Heat did it in 2010 - they signed Mike Miller to the MLE after signing their big fish.

That's not true and no they didn't.

Now the joy of my world is in Zion How beautiful if nothing more Than to wait at Zion's door I've never been in love like this before Now let me pray to keep you from The perils that will surely come
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
6/30/2015  1:14 PM
Uptown wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:Overpaying because you're a bad team is a good way to make sure you stay bad. We need smart deals. If they're small deals and we gradually improve and become a little more attractive to FAs each year, that's better than overpaying and being bad long-term.

Not endorsing it, its just an obvious option when you are the losing team and you are vying for the services of a top flight free agent and you are competing against a winning team. With the salary cap explosion, i think most of these FA are looking for 2 yr deals with an opt out anyway...with that said, i wouldnt over pay for Afflalo, etc....but again, in our situation, its an option...not a good one though, i agree...

Well I'd be willing to give Afflalo about 2 mil a year. I'll overpay by 10% if necessary. So let's say 2.2 mil!
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
6/30/2015  1:14 PM
VCoug wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
VCoug wrote:Everyone's talking about the MLE but we don't have it because we'll be under the cap. The only exception we could have is the room exception which is something like $2M. The MLE and the TPEs will all be gone tomorrow when we go under the cap.

We get the mid-level once we use up the cap room. The Heat did it in 2010 - they signed Mike Miller to the MLE after signing their big fish.

vcoug if we fill our cap space up can we use the TPE in a S+T with Minnesota--for example they sign the Euro PF to a 3 year 18mm$ deal--deal starts at 5.75(our top tpe) and we throw in 2 2's

RIP Crushalot😞
yellowboy90
Member: #3538

6/30/2015  1:41 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
VCoug wrote:
crzymdups wrote:

vcoug if we fill our cap space up can we use the TPE in a S+T with Minnesota--for example they sign the Euro PF to a 3 year 18mm$ deal--deal starts at 5.75(our top tpe) and we throw in 2 2's

The TPEs from last year expire when FA starts tomorrow morning.

newyorker4ever
Member: #5816

6/30/2015  1:55 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:At 35, there is usually rapid decline. I wouldn't want West for more than 2 yrs, 6 mil, though he'd probably be insulted if we offered that.
I agree with Yellowboy that overpaying West and Afflalo would negate the positives from the draft.

So LJ & Oakley were worthless at $35? And only worth $3mil per a piece? Guys like KG & Pierce etc...

West is due to make $12+ mil if he comes here for $5.5mil consider it a huge steal and a bargain. He's got minimally another 2-3yrs of being an effective rotational player. In the meantime he will be The default leader on this team. Remember we have desperately lacked leadership since Kidd, Rasheed & Kurt retired. You don't seem to understand the value of a player like West. I'm surprised Bonn because you are usually a guy who can look past points per game stats and notice impact.

We paid Jason Kidd only $3m per at the time and people still complained. I would you have not signed Kidd that year for anything over he LLE $1.3mil per? No right?

It's a long shot he takes $7mil a year less to come here but if he does Knick fans better celebrate and appreciate

We're talking probabilities. So of course there are exceptions. Unless you have a crystal ball, you can only play the odds as effectively as possible. For example, that means not smoking even though there are some smokers who live to an old age.
Most players statistically peak at around 25 but don't have a rapid decline until 32. Sure, in every day life you're young if you're 30 or even 35 but that is VERY old in NBA terms. I'm even skeptical about giving 4 year contracts to guys who are over 26 but I think you'd have to in a few cases.
You can see an analysis using the wins produced statistic here: http://wagesofwins.com/nba-players-age-like-milk/
And win shares here: http://www.basketball-reference.com/blog/?p=2953
It's rare that two different metrics will produce a consensus at the exact same answer, but they did here and that has to increase confidence in their conclusions.

We are not talking about maxing a guy like West out. He is not 25 and looking for the full 5yrs $130mil max. He is 35 and looking for his final contract for 2-4yrs. He can hang it up at any time like Like Kidd did and not hurt the Knicks. Zings will be able to step right in by then after having sat and learned from David West. Y

You do see the importance of West to that young Indiana team right?

Players prime years are 25-28 I would say but the dog orang drop doesn't come until 32-33 for most. The greats are just as effective until 37-38. Jordan, Kobe, KG, Duncan etc.
I don't agree that after 26 you are done

Neither do I.
I want Phil to make smart gambles though and for reasons already stated don't think more than 2 years, 6 mil would be smart for West.

I just saw on reddit that D.West isn't gonna sign with the Knicks cause he wants to play for a contender so there goes that rumor.

WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

6/30/2015  2:24 PM
yellowboy90 wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
VCoug wrote:
crzymdups wrote:

Are you sure? I thought they had specific expiration dates.

I understand that they become meaningless as soon as we are under the cap, but thought they could be used later this year if we were over the cap and wanted to take on a contract.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
6/30/2015  2:34 PM
newyorker4ever wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:At 35, there is usually rapid decline. I wouldn't want West for more than 2 yrs, 6 mil, though he'd probably be insulted if we offered that.
I agree with Yellowboy that overpaying West and Afflalo would negate the positives from the draft.

So LJ & Oakley were worthless at $35? And only worth $3mil per a piece? Guys like KG & Pierce etc...

West is due to make $12+ mil if he comes here for $5.5mil consider it a huge steal and a bargain. He's got minimally another 2-3yrs of being an effective rotational player. In the meantime he will be The default leader on this team. Remember we have desperately lacked leadership since Kidd, Rasheed & Kurt retired. You don't seem to understand the value of a player like West. I'm surprised Bonn because you are usually a guy who can look past points per game stats and notice impact.

We paid Jason Kidd only $3m per at the time and people still complained. I would you have not signed Kidd that year for anything over he LLE $1.3mil per? No right?

It's a long shot he takes $7mil a year less to come here but if he does Knick fans better celebrate and appreciate

We're talking probabilities. So of course there are exceptions. Unless you have a crystal ball, you can only play the odds as effectively as possible. For example, that means not smoking even though there are some smokers who live to an old age.
Most players statistically peak at around 25 but don't have a rapid decline until 32. Sure, in every day life you're young if you're 30 or even 35 but that is VERY old in NBA terms. I'm even skeptical about giving 4 year contracts to guys who are over 26 but I think you'd have to in a few cases.
You can see an analysis using the wins produced statistic here: http://wagesofwins.com/nba-players-age-like-milk/
And win shares here: http://www.basketball-reference.com/blog/?p=2953
It's rare that two different metrics will produce a consensus at the exact same answer, but they did here and that has to increase confidence in their conclusions.

We are not talking about maxing a guy like West out. He is not 25 and looking for the full 5yrs $130mil max. He is 35 and looking for his final contract for 2-4yrs. He can hang it up at any time like Like Kidd did and not hurt the Knicks. Zings will be able to step right in by then after having sat and learned from David West. Y

You do see the importance of West to that young Indiana team right?

Players prime years are 25-28 I would say but the dog orang drop doesn't come until 32-33 for most. The greats are just as effective until 37-38. Jordan, Kobe, KG, Duncan etc.
I don't agree that after 26 you are done

Neither do I.
I want Phil to make smart gambles though and for reasons already stated don't think more than 2 years, 6 mil would be smart for West.

I just saw on reddit that D.West isn't gonna sign with the Knicks cause he wants to play for a contender so there goes that rumor.

Putting a rumor to rest using Reddit as the source. Just as solid as anything from Chris Broussard.

BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
6/30/2015  4:00 PM
yellowboy90 wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
VCoug wrote:
crzymdups wrote:

Actually they dont--they last 1 year from acquisition. So we can do a deal like I outlined. Minnesota can sign the Euro to a 3 year 18mm $ contract and trade him to us as long as our cap space is full.

They last a calendar year at maximum – Trade exceptions last up to one year after the trade that created it was approved by the league office, unless that anniversary falls on a weekend or holiday (then the team gets until the next business day.)

They can only be used to acquire players under contract – A team cannot sign a free agent using a trade exception. However, it can be used in a sign and trade, though that would require the participation of the player’s previous team and that team being able to sign said player to the agreed upon contract. This last note became important in the case of Shaun Livingston this week – since the Nets do not have the ability to sign Livingston to a full Mid-Level deal like he agreed to with the Warriors, he cannot be signed and traded into Golden State’s trade exception because he could not be signed by Brooklyn to that contact in the first place.

A trade exception cannot be combined with another player or exception to acquire a more expensive player – To me, the easiest way to think about each trade exception is as a bank account that you cannot add money back into. You can take some out here and there as long as the balance never gets below zero. The important difference from a bank account is the separation – trade exceptions are each separate assets that can only acquire a player or players who make the same amount or less than the value of that specific exception itself plus $100,000. A $10 million TPE and a $5 million player or exception cannot be used in concert to get a $14 million player, for example. This same logic applies to all exceptions, so teams cannot combine their Mid-Level and a player to get someone for more money or add two trade exceptions together to pick up a player with a higher salary than either one.

Similarly, they are generated separately – The best example of this comes from Golden State’s trade with Utah last summer to clear space for Andre Iguodala. For that part of the huge transaction, the Warriors traded Richard Jefferson, Andris Biedrins, and Brandon Rush into Utah’s cap space. This did not give the Warriors one huge exception – it instead yielded three trade exceptions in the amounts of the salaries for the three players involved. This nuance protects the league from teams creating what I call a Voltron exception, where a series of minor moves could give them a hugely valuable larger single exception that could then be used to add a major piece. Separating trade exceptions makes for a more fair solution that creative teams can still use effectively.

They can also come from an unbalanced trade – While many think of trade exceptions as stemming from transactions where one player gets sent into another team’s cap or exception, they can also be created in trades with different salaried pieces going from one place to another. In those cases, the team trading away a higher salary than they receive secures a trade exception in the amount of the difference as long as they are not under the cap. (This is how the Knicks got a trade exception the size of Raymond Felton’s contract in their recent trade with the Mavericks.)

However, once generated a trade exception can be partially used or split– Here, what I talked about before with thinking about trade exceptions as bank accounts that you cannot add money back into makes even more sense. Like a bank account, teams can take some out here and there as long as the balance never gets below zero. If a team has an $8 million trade exception, they could get one $7.5 million or $8 million player or two $4 million guys during those twelve months. Whenever part of an exception gets used, any remainder sticks around until it expires. Remember from above that the player must fully fit within a single exception, so a team cannot use $600,000 from one exception and $400,000 from another source to acquire a $1 million salary.

Despite all that, creative GM’s can use players and trade exceptions together in some circumstances – While trades with aggregated salaries cannot fit under this umbrella, teams can format trades to make this work. As an example, let’s say the Warriors want Taj Gibson but do not want to trade enough salary to make it work directly as a player for player(s) swap. They could use part of their trade exception from sending Richard Jefferson to Utah last July to acquire Gibson and then send something cheaper like Harrison Barnes to Chicago.

The functional purpose of trade exceptions

Trade exceptions allow for additional roster flexibility in some important situations. For example, they provide an amazing way for teams butting up against the cap or tax to add another piece or two. Additionally, since trade exceptions require the participation of another team, they encourage negotiation between franchises and can help facilitate mutually beneficial exchanges of contracts.

More specifically, trade exceptions provide an advantage for teams with owners willing to spend. Similar to the amnesty provision, trade exceptions only truly become useful as teams get closer to the cap and/or luxury tax and only convert from riskless asset to actual dollars when utilized. Both Oklahoma City and Golden State had the ability to use trade exceptions at any point last season to add another piece that would have carried the added price of pushing them into the luxury tax, though the Warriors were hard capped at the apron which sits $4 million over the luxury tax line. Whether due to that impact or the lack of a worthwhile player to use all or part of it on, both trade exceptions went largely unused during the 2013-14 season and could expire in full or in part shortly after the July moratorium.

The value of a trade exception depends almost entirely on it actually being used since they cannot be traded in any way. They can be incredibly effective when deployed properly and functionally useless in other situations.

Important active trade exceptions

[AUTHOR’S NOTE: Keep in mind that the figures below are as reported by sources including Basketball Insiders and ShamSports. The actual numbers may vary in some circumstances.]

Soon to Expire (Before August 1) Trade Exceptions

Boston – $10,275,136 (for Paul Pierce) – Expires July 14

Golden State – $9,835,920 (for Richard Jefferson) – Expires July 10

Oklahoma City – $6,500,000 (for Kevin Martin) – Expires July 11

LA Clippers – $2,626,474 (for Eric Bledsoe) – Expires July 10

Denver – (for Andre Iguodala) – Expires July 10 – Mostly used to acquire Arron Afflalo on draft night

Notable Longer-Lasting Trade Exceptions

Chicago – (for Luol Deng) – Expires January 6, 2015 – Mostly used to acquire Anthony Randolph on draft night in the larger trade with Denver

Indiana – $4,281,921 (for Danny Granger) – Expires February 20, 2015

Memphis- $3,135,000 (for Jerryd Bayless) – Expires January 6, 2015

Miami- $2,200,000 (for Joel Anthony) – Expires January 15, 2015

Sacramento – $2,424,687 (for Marcus Thornton) – Expires February 19, 2015

Toronto- $4,583,432 (for Rudy Gay) – Expires December 9, 2014

If you have any further questions on trade exceptions, feel free to ask them here or hit me up on Twitter @DannyLeroux
Asked and Answered, Collective Bargaining Agreement, Salary Cap trade exception
Daniel Leroux

Daniel Leroux has covered the Golden State Warriors for five seasons for RealGM, starting during his final year of law school. He was born and raised in the Bay Area and has a bachelor's in Economics from UCLA (Go Bruins!) and a law degree from UC Hastings college of the law. He also hosts the RealGM Radio podcast.
More Posts Twitter
Post navigation
The Stretch Provision: Free Agency’s Safety Net
Explaining the Maximum Contract
Search MLExceptional
Search for:
We’re Social

Popular
Latest
Tags

spencer-hawes-nba-indiana-pacers-cleveland-cavaliers
New Faces, New Places: Spencer Hawes Signs With Los Angeles Clippers
10 Comments
NBA: Playoffs-Brooklyn Nets at Toronto Raptors
The NBA’s Hard Cap: An Introduction
9 Comments
NBA: New York Knicks at Miami Heat
Asked and Answered: What in the World is a Trade Exception?
7 Comments
Aug 8, 2014; Akron, OH, USA; Cleveland Cavaliers forward LeBron James during the LeBron James Family Foundation Reunion and Rally at InfoCision Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Andrew Weber-USA TODAY Sports
The 2016 TV Deal and the Salary Cap
7 Comments
carmelo-anthony-nba-new-york-knicks-toronto-raptors
6 Comments

Archives
Archives

RIP Crushalot😞
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
6/30/2015  4:05 PM
Briggs.. pretty sure sign and trade can only happen if the player is already under contract. Min cant sign the Euro guy and send him to us. That would be like us signing KP then trading him. You can either trade the draft rights, or sign him and wait until that December date. You can only S&T guys who expired from your team and if you have their bird rights. The euro guy is neither
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
VCoug

6/30/2015  4:09 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
VCoug wrote:
crzymdups wrote:

Actually they dont--they last 1 year from acquisition. So we can do a deal like I outlined. Minnesota can sign the Euro to a 3 year 18mm $ contract and trade him to us as long as our cap space is full.

They last a calendar year at maximum – Trade exceptions last up to one year after the trade that created it was approved by the league office, unless that anniversary falls on a weekend or holiday (then the team gets until the next business day.)

They can only be used to acquire players under contract – A team cannot sign a free agent using a trade exception. However, it can be used in a sign and trade, though that would require the participation of the player’s previous team and that team being able to sign said player to the agreed upon contract. This last note became important in the case of Shaun Livingston this week – since the Nets do not have the ability to sign Livingston to a full Mid-Level deal like he agreed to with the Warriors, he cannot be signed and traded into Golden State’s trade exception because he could not be signed by Brooklyn to that contact in the first place.

A trade exception cannot be combined with another player or exception to acquire a more expensive player – To me, the easiest way to think about each trade exception is as a bank account that you cannot add money back into. You can take some out here and there as long as the balance never gets below zero. The important difference from a bank account is the separation – trade exceptions are each separate assets that can only acquire a player or players who make the same amount or less than the value of that specific exception itself plus $100,000. A $10 million TPE and a $5 million player or exception cannot be used in concert to get a $14 million player, for example. This same logic applies to all exceptions, so teams cannot combine their Mid-Level and a player to get someone for more money or add two trade exceptions together to pick up a player with a higher salary than either one.

Similarly, they are generated separately – The best example of this comes from Golden State’s trade with Utah last summer to clear space for Andre Iguodala. For that part of the huge transaction, the Warriors traded Richard Jefferson, Andris Biedrins, and Brandon Rush into Utah’s cap space. This did not give the Warriors one huge exception – it instead yielded three trade exceptions in the amounts of the salaries for the three players involved. This nuance protects the league from teams creating what I call a Voltron exception, where a series of minor moves could give them a hugely valuable larger single exception that could then be used to add a major piece. Separating trade exceptions makes for a more fair solution that creative teams can still use effectively.

They can also come from an unbalanced trade – While many think of trade exceptions as stemming from transactions where one player gets sent into another team’s cap or exception, they can also be created in trades with different salaried pieces going from one place to another. In those cases, the team trading away a higher salary than they receive secures a trade exception in the amount of the difference as long as they are not under the cap. (This is how the Knicks got a trade exception the size of Raymond Felton’s contract in their recent trade with the Mavericks.)

However, once generated a trade exception can be partially used or split– Here, what I talked about before with thinking about trade exceptions as bank accounts that you cannot add money back into makes even more sense. Like a bank account, teams can take some out here and there as long as the balance never gets below zero. If a team has an $8 million trade exception, they could get one $7.5 million or $8 million player or two $4 million guys during those twelve months. Whenever part of an exception gets used, any remainder sticks around until it expires. Remember from above that the player must fully fit within a single exception, so a team cannot use $600,000 from one exception and $400,000 from another source to acquire a $1 million salary.

Despite all that, creative GM’s can use players and trade exceptions together in some circumstances – While trades with aggregated salaries cannot fit under this umbrella, teams can format trades to make this work. As an example, let’s say the Warriors want Taj Gibson but do not want to trade enough salary to make it work directly as a player for player(s) swap. They could use part of their trade exception from sending Richard Jefferson to Utah last July to acquire Gibson and then send something cheaper like Harrison Barnes to Chicago.

Trade exceptions allow for additional roster flexibility in some important situations. For example, they provide an amazing way for teams butting up against the cap or tax to add another piece or two. Additionally, since trade exceptions require the participation of another team, they encourage negotiation between franchises and can help facilitate mutually beneficial exchanges of contracts.

More specifically, trade exceptions provide an advantage for teams with owners willing to spend. Similar to the amnesty provision, trade exceptions only truly become useful as teams get closer to the cap and/or luxury tax and only convert from riskless asset to actual dollars when utilized. Both Oklahoma City and Golden State had the ability to use trade exceptions at any point last season to add another piece that would have carried the added price of pushing them into the luxury tax, though the Warriors were hard capped at the apron which sits $4 million over the luxury tax line. Whether due to that impact or the lack of a worthwhile player to use all or part of it on, both trade exceptions went largely unused during the 2013-14 season and could expire in full or in part shortly after the July moratorium.

The value of a trade exception depends almost entirely on it actually being used since they cannot be traded in any way. They can be incredibly effective when deployed properly and functionally useless in other situations.

[AUTHOR’S NOTE: Keep in mind that the figures below are as reported by sources including Basketball Insiders and ShamSports. The actual numbers may vary in some circumstances.]

Denver – (for Andre Iguodala) – Expires July 10 – Mostly used to acquire Arron Afflalo on draft night

Chicago – (for Luol Deng) – Expires January 6, 2015 – Mostly used to acquire Anthony Randolph on draft night in the larger trade with Denver

If you have any further questions on trade exceptions, feel free to ask them here or hit me up on Twitter @DannyLeroux
Daniel Leroux

Daniel Leroux has covered the Golden State Warriors for five seasons for RealGM, starting during his final year of law school. He was born and raised in the Bay Area and has a bachelor's in Economics from UCLA (Go Bruins!) and a law degree from UC Hastings college of the law. He also hosts the RealGM Radio podcast.
More Posts Twitter
Post navigation
Search MLExceptional
Search for:
We’re Social

Popular
Latest
Tags

10 Comments
9 Comments
7 Comments
Aug 8, 2014; Akron, OH, USA; Cleveland Cavaliers forward LeBron James during the LeBron James Family Foundation Reunion and Rally at InfoCision Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Andrew Weber-USA TODAY Sports
7 Comments
6 Comments

Archives
Archives

All of which is true. But, that explanation doesn't mention that TPEs, just like every other exception, creates a cap hold for that amount when a team is under the salary cap. For example, if we have $6M in TPEs we can keep them but that takes away $6M in cap space or we can waive them and gain $6M in cap space. For all intents and purposes, we have no TPE or MLE this Summer but we could have the Room Exception.

Now the joy of my world is in Zion How beautiful if nothing more Than to wait at Zion's door I've never been in love like this before Now let me pray to keep you from The perils that will surely come
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
6/30/2015  4:18 PM
Uptown wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
meloanyk wrote:

Monroe 2yr $30M
Afflalo 4yr $44M
West 2yr $12M

I forgot about Harris...he is definitely the type of player we need to target. He is young, from LI, friends with Melo and we have plenty of minutes to offer...i would go after him....

He has little impact One either side of the ball every time I see him play. Might be a player who likes on decent numbers on a terrible team. I'd be hesitant to sign him for significant money

yellowboy90

6/30/2015  4:45 PM
fishmike wrote:Briggs.. pretty sure sign and trade can only happen if the player is already under contract. Min cant sign the Euro guy and send him to us. That would be like us signing KP then trading him. You can either trade the draft rights, or sign him and wait until that December date. You can only S&T guys who expired from your team and if you have their bird rights. The euro guy is neither

You can use a TPE for a sign and trade.

yellowboy90

6/30/2015  4:55 PM
VCoug wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
VCoug wrote:
crzymdups wrote:

Daniel Leroux

More Posts Twitter
Post navigation
Search MLExceptional
Search for:
We’re Social

Popular
Latest
Tags

10 Comments
9 Comments
7 Comments
7 Comments
6 Comments

Archives
Archives

All of which is true. But, that explanation doesn't mention that TPEs, just like every other exception, creates a cap hold for that amount when a team is under the salary cap. For example, if we have $6M in TPEs we can keep them but that takes away $6M in cap space or we can waive them and gain $6M in cap space. For all intents and purposes, we have no TPE or MLE this Summer but we could have the Room Exception.

exactly, for the knicks they seemingly expire since they count against the cap and the knicks need that cap space.

Vcoug, correct me if I'm wrong but the knicks could sign a group of FAs that fit under the cap then trade Calderon w/o taking back any cash, creating a TPE to use in Briggs idea

crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
6/30/2015  5:01 PM
VCoug wrote:
crzymdups wrote:

Ah, had to look it up - you are right. I didn't understand that about the mid-level. whoops, sorry about that.

I think we still get the room exception, but that's obviously not enough to get any of the names we're talking about

¿ △ ?
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
6/30/2015  5:04 PM
Ugh

So glad we traded our 1st next year for Andrea Bargnani

WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

6/30/2015  5:05 PM
crzymdups wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:
blkexec wrote:Not sure why anybody is hating on this lineup. ...personally i see nothing wrong with that lineup. Aflalo and west are solid vets. Monroe is a decent low post center with a mid range game and a good passer for the triangle. The only problem is defense at sf.....who's guarding bron melo? West? Whis guarding Thompson?

The Greek Freak (Thanasis) can start when we play Cleveland and put him on Lebron.

I don't think Thanasis is that ready for the NBA yet. Will be interesting to see what the Knicks do with him this summer. I wouldn't be shocked if he went back to Europe for a year or two. He's raaaaaw.

I'm not sure Thanasis will make the roster if we're going off his D-League stint from last year. We have to hope that Early and Thanasis have made some strides in their game. At the very least, they can provide some hard fouls on Lebron to try and dissuade him from going to the hole.

I hope Early and Thanasis are hard at work on their games, but I haven't heard a peep about either. I have hopes for both.

I think we took Thanasis based on his D and athletic ability, but also because his 3pt shooting seemed to indicate an increase in efficiency. It went down, significantly last year, I think-not a good sign.

I would think that Phil is more likely to keep Early than Thanasis.

Would love to see some progress from him in SL, but I'm not sure Jackson will keep him if he looks like he did last year. Hope his game is more refined, though. He lost money staying in the U.S. and playing in the DL, I assume. Would love to see him do bett and make the squad.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
VCoug

6/30/2015  5:14 PM
yellowboy90 wrote:exactly, for the knicks they seemingly expire since they count against the cap and the knicks need that cap space.

Vcoug, correct me if I'm wrong but the knicks could sign a group of FAs that fit under the cap then trade Calderon w/o taking back any cash, creating a TPE to use in Briggs idea

Yeah, that would work but we'd have to find a team far enough under the cap or one with a large enough TPE.

Zings, Grant, Gomez, Monroe, West, Affalo A++++++

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy