Author Thread
newyorker4ever
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5816

6/30/2015  2:48 PM
nixluva wrote:
mreinman wrote:Monroe and Affalo ... ugh

that would be a terrible offseason

Well that is probably the low bar for the off season. There are other options. I think Afflalo is the fall back option in case we can't get Carroll or Danny Green.

If we can come out of free agency with Monroe and one of D.Green/D.Carroll and if we can't get one of those two i'd try my chances with W.Mathews who would of been above Green and Carroll if not for the injury and if we can't get any of those three i wouldn't mind Afflalo for 7/8 mil per. There will also be some good veterans that can be brought in for vet min contracts as well and could even maybe find a veteran starter as well. Everyone needs to remember that this free agency is just the start of things and nobody should be expecting this team to be built in this free agency. We should get a couple good starters and some smaller pieces and then look to finish the rebuild next offseason when the cap goes up and we can afford a big name or a couple of good names.
AUTOADVERT
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
6/30/2015  4:12 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/30/2015  4:12 PM
mreinman wrote:
nixluva wrote:

Well that is probably the low bar for the off season. There are other options. I think Afflalo is the fall back option in case we can't get Carroll or Danny Green.

at what price?

not interested in falling back. Affalo is terrible ... I though you started following win shares?

Yeah, I asked nix the same thing.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
6/30/2015  4:22 PM
What were Affalo's win-shares 2yrs ago when he averaged 18 and 43% from 3 and led Denver to the playoffs?
Bonn1997
USA
6/30/2015  4:26 PM
gunsnewing wrote:What were Affalo's win-shares 2yrs ago when he averaged 18 and 43% from 3 and led Denver to the playoffs?

His WS48 was .099. He was basically almost an average NBA player that year.

gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
6/30/2015  5:49 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:What were Affalo's win-shares 2yrs ago when he averaged 18 and 43% from 3 and led Denver to the playoffs?

His WS48 was .099. He was basically almost an average NBA player that year.

Not every player has to have above average wins shares for this to work. Role players are role players for a reason. I like using win shares with star players to understand their true impact beyond scoring. Anyone we realisticly sign to play SG is not going to be anywhere as good as Affalo if we can get him for $7-8mil per. Because then you are looking at diminutive combo guards like Jennings, stuckey & Ellis. Who do you have in mind assuming we have zero shot at Carroll & Butler? Remember Wes Matthews and Danny Green despite having nice advance stats will not flourish as well playing without Duncan and Aldridge. In a system that requires them to do more than spot up shoot open jumpers created by those bigs

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
6/30/2015  6:03 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
mreinman wrote:
nixluva wrote:

at what price?

not interested in falling back. Affalo is terrible ... I though you started following win shares?

Asked me WHAT? What are you guys talking about? Nobody asked me anything about Win Shares recently. I still have the same guys at the top of my list and haven't said anything different, so what are you guys going on about? Having Afflalo as a fallback isn't the end of the world. I don't even know why this is such a controversial idea. It appears to me that Phil properly has Carroll and Danny Green on his list.
TPercy
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #5748

6/30/2015  6:24 PM
I would take shved everyday over afflalo. He isn't exactly an upgrade. As for west, if we sign him to a reasonable deal then fine, count me in.
The Future is Bright!
Bonn1997
USA
6/30/2015  6:30 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/30/2015  6:33 PM
nixluva wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
mreinman wrote:
nixluva wrote:

at what price?

Asked me WHAT? What are you guys talking about? Nobody asked me anything about Win Shares recently. I still have the same guys at the top of my list and haven't said anything different, so what are you guys going on about? Having Afflalo as a fallback isn't the end of the world. I don't even know why this is such a controversial idea. It appears to me that Phil properly has Carroll and Danny Green on his list.

Afflalo has below average win shares and below average advanced stats in general. If we pay him to be a below average player (just a couple mil a year), he's a nice option but that seems out of the question. I just don't want to pay guys wildly out of proportion to their production.
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
6/30/2015  7:31 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
mreinman wrote:
nixluva wrote:

at what price?

Afflalo has below average win shares and below average advanced stats in general. If we pay him to be a below average player (just a couple mil a year), he's a nice option but that seems out of the question. I just don't want to pay guys wildly out of proportion to their production.

Who would you like the Knicks to sign, Bonn? Sorry if I missed it in another thread or even this thread. What do you think of Danny Green and Monroe?

“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
Bonn1997
USA
6/30/2015  7:37 PM
Allanfan20 wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
mreinman wrote:
nixluva wrote:

at what price?

Who would you like the Knicks to sign, Bonn? Sorry if I missed it in another thread or even this thread. What do you think of Danny Green and Monroe?

I'd place D Jordan ahead of both of them but I do like those guys. Monroe for the low max (around $16 mil is all he can get) I'm OK with. Green would depend on the price but I do like him. I think Brandon Wright might be available on a cheap contract and would be happy with him. If Koufos is available for less than about $7 mil per, I'd grab him.
I'd rather give the league min to any guys from the D League and save $10 mil a year than give Afflalo the contract people are talking about though.
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
6/30/2015  7:49 PM
newyorker4ever wrote:
nixluva wrote:

If we can come out of free agency with Monroe and one of D.Green/D.Carroll and if we can't get one of those two i'd try my chances with W.Mathews who would of been above Green and Carroll if not for the injury and if we can't get any of those three i wouldn't mind Afflalo for 7/8 mil per. There will also be some good veterans that can be brought in for vet min contracts as well and could even maybe find a veteran starter as well. Everyone needs to remember that this free agency is just the start of things and nobody should be expecting this team to be built in this free agency. We should get a couple good starters and some smaller pieces and then look to finish the rebuild next offseason when the cap goes up and we can afford a big name or a couple of good names.

Agree. I think Monroe will be a fine addition. He has his faults but there is a lot to his game. I think if he dedicated to fast twitch training in the offseason--he could expand his play in the blocked shots category. He needs to be able to move a little faster in the post--explosion training would be great for him. Also a tad bit of expansion on the J and more practice from the FT line. Overall I think he gives us a base of 17-10 in the post and my HOPE is by mid season KP will be starting 4. They can be interchangeable and I think KP eventually takes over as the pure 5 man.

The other FA--I dont want to overspend just to get guys on the roster. Be patient with the cap space AFTER Monroe--see how things fall or if a team wants to trade someone off--or maybe some gets cut etc.. We could possibly get David Lee for the vet minimum if GS stretches him. I know he loves NY.

RIP Crushalot😞
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

6/30/2015  7:56 PM
I read somewhere we will also talk to Wesley Matthews is he available?
I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
mreinman
Member: #3189

6/30/2015  8:05 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:I read somewhere we will also talk to Wesley Matthews is he available?

good!

so here is what phil is thinking ....
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
6/30/2015  8:32 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:I read somewhere we will also talk to Wesley Matthews is he available?
Yeah but he loves Portland and they love him. Not sure if their shake up and Aldridge leaving makes him more likely to go.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
stopstandthere
Member: #6004

6/30/2015  8:50 PM
mreinman wrote:

good!

But Matthews is severely hurt. I would doubt his condition.

CrushAlot
USA
6/30/2015  8:51 PM
stopstandthere wrote:
mreinman wrote:

good!

He supposedly is ahead of schedule and I believe he has been working out.
mreinman
Member: #3189

6/30/2015  8:52 PM
stopstandthere wrote:
mreinman wrote:

good!

rather take a chance that he gets healthy then sign a healthy stiff.

so here is what phil is thinking ....
stopstandthere
Member: #6004

6/30/2015  8:53 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
Yeah but he loves Portland and they love him. Not sure if their shake up and Aldridge leaving makes him more likely to go.

And Lillard is demanding a max so I really can't get how Portland to sort these things out. AA is leaving, Batum's status is uncertain as well.

CrushAlot
USA
6/30/2015  9:10 PM
Any idea what Stuckey will get paid? Some of the 2 guards being mentioned for 12 mil or more don't seem worth the risk.
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
6/30/2015  9:13 PM
stopstandthere wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

And Lillard is demanding a max so I really can't get how Portland to sort these things out. AA is leaving, Batum's status is uncertain as well.

Batum's status has been much less uncertain ever since he was traded to Charlotte.

Knicks frontrunners for Monroe, Afflalo per Wojnarowski

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy