[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Knicks frontrunners for Monroe, Afflalo per Wojnarowski
Author Thread
Jmpasq
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #4182

6/30/2015  11:31 AM
crzymdups wrote:I'm surprised people are so down on Afflalo. He had a down season playing on a crappy rebuilding Denver team with no direction and then worse on a Portland team that was imploding on itself, but in 2013-14 he averaged 18ppg 3.5rpg 3.5apg 43% 3pt shooting. His skills are a perfect fit for the Triangle.

He is a poor defender, the Blazers gave up 13.5 more points per 100 possessions when Matthews went out and was replaced by Affalo. Matthews was the FA I really wanted coming into this season, sux he got hurt

I think we should go after Wade, not to sign him but to drive the price up on Miami.

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
AUTOADVERT
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
6/30/2015  11:34 AM
Jmpasq wrote:
crzymdups wrote:I'm surprised people are so down on Afflalo. He had a down season playing on a crappy rebuilding Denver team with no direction and then worse on a Portland team that was imploding on itself, but in 2013-14 he averaged 18ppg 3.5rpg 3.5apg 43% 3pt shooting. His skills are a perfect fit for the Triangle.

He is a poor defender, the Blazers gave up 13.5 more points per 100 possessions when Matthews went out and was replaced by Affalo. Matthews was the FA I really wanted coming into this season, sux he got hurt

I think we should go after Wade, not to sign him but to drive the price up on Miami.

Wes Matthews was one of my favorite players. Knicks are supposedly meeting with him. Would you sign him with the injury? Supposedly he is recovering "more quickly than expected"... but I dunno.

I think Afflalo was just in a bad position in Portland. He got there mid-season when the team was already unraveling.

I think Matthews would be the better signing if he were healthy, but achilles is a scary injury.

¿ △ ?
newyorker4ever
Member: #5816

6/30/2015  12:00 PM
JacobKubacki wrote:I'm just wondering.... how unrealistic are that salaries. Heard that Afflalo wants 12 per year- yet no one with brain will pay that, I would find it hard to pay him 8 per year. The same with Monroe - he wants max but who will buy. He is not that wanted around the league. There are just few teams that are intrested and I think they are unwilling to pay him 15,5 p.y. maybe exept Portland. So we also shouldn't. Give this man 12 per year and not loose our heads cause a dude wants more. Still I am not happy with him as a potential player cause him and Melo will be a bad defensive duo that will be hard to compensate.

How could you possibly know how many teams are interested in Monroe and at what price those teams would be interested at?? Monroe will have more than one team that will be interested at the max.

gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
6/30/2015  12:08 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/30/2015  12:11 PM
crzymdups wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:

Wes Matthews was one of my favorite players. Knicks are supposedly meeting with him. Would you sign him with the injury? Supposedly he is recovering "more quickly than expected"... but I dunno.

I think Afflalo was just in a bad position in Portland. He got there mid-season when the team was already unraveling.

I think Matthews would be the better signing if he were healthy, but achilles is a scary injury.

I like Matthews but he is like Danny Green. Doesn't create much off the dribble which you need in this offense. They are spot up shooters. When you factor in age and injury Wes is out of the picture for me unless we get him for $7-8mil or less. He and Green are good defenders though. They are not the multi dimensional offensive players Phil is after. Affalo does a little more offensively off the dribble and with his speed. You would have to hope he engages himself defensively. I guarantee you he will if David West is here. Just like at Affalo's numbers 2yrs ago. He was the best player on that Denver playoff team by far. Guys like Wes Matthews and Danny Danny Green have the benefit of playing with Aldridge and Duncan. So you have to look beyond the numbers. And that is what successful organizations do. That is what it appears the Knicks are doing finally. They are doing it the anti-Isiah way and patiently thinking every transaction through with some foresight. Each move is made with the next move in mind. The moves are all tied together with a purpose.

Cartman718
Member: #1694

6/30/2015  12:15 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/30/2015  12:16 PM
how many hockey assists does monroe get... 2.1 assists is not a great number but i do like the FT% most of all. this is what he has over DJordan.
Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
RonRon
Member: #246
6/30/2015  12:40 PM
Finestrg wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
Finestrg wrote:Well, for anyone who wants Monroe, this has got to make you feel a little better after hearing speculation today that Monroe may not sign here. I definitely want Monroe -- this dude can be a 20/12 player in this league with only a few more mins a night and a couple more shots up at the basket a night. No question in my mind about that. They go about it a little differently but basically everything I like about Enes Kanter I like about this guy as well. He's basically everything we'd want out of Jahlil Okafor if we had drafted that kid. I honestly don't see much of a difference in Greg Monroe and Okafor. If anything, Greg Monroe is a lot closer to realizing 20/10 production than Okafor is. I find it funny that 99% of people would've loved Okafor in the draft but it feels like less than 50% of the peeps around here don't want Monroe. What's the big difference between the two? Okafor a little wider/thicker (which could present a problem down the road if Jahlil doesn't take care of himself) but honestly, I don't really see any difference.. With Monroe, ya figure there's a lot less waiting to get close to that 20/10 level of play...He'd be a very good signing.

Afflalo? I don't know about that one -- nice player, he's in that Wes Matthews class for me. How much is this guy looking for? I'm tellin' ya -- I wouldn't look to throw a ton of money at the 2G spot. Try to bring back Shved, add and continue cultivating Ricky Ledo then look to the DL and/or inexpensive Euro. FAs for a 3rd 2G for depth -- guys like Daniel Hackett (let's see what he's got in SL), Scotty Hopson, Kevin Murphy (innate ability to go out there and score the ball), Orlando Johnson, Jerrell Eddie, Dominique Jones (Phil likes bigger versatile 2s that can handle and distribute the ball--that's exactly what this guy is), maybe Michael Frazier (just because GS is bringing him in for SL doesn't mean his their property -- we can still swoop in an make an offer. Can't picture him sticking with that team anyway--and if he did, how much PT is he ever really getting there? Dude can really shoot it)...Afflalo is a good player but I don't like him for Wes Matthews money. I want Monroe -- that's $15-16mm right there. And I want Monroe as my starting PF. I still want a C. If you told me we could go out an add Monroe and Alexis Ajinca first and then take a crack at Afflalo knowing we also have Shved locked up -- OK. One good thing about bringing in Afflalo though -- he might make NY that much more of an attractive place for a Greg Monroe to sign with. I dunno--my gut tell me conserve cap space here and look for a cheaper solution.

Okafor wasn't my choice in he draft but he would be on a rookie contract. Monroe would be on teh max salary. Are you really comparing those two?

Yes, I am comparing them. You bet...I hear what you're saying -- it would've been ideal to add that same type of ready-to-go post scorer on a rookie contract (I remember talking about the same thing, how beneficial that would've been) but it wasn't in the cards. He never slipped to us.. Time to move on and build the team a different way. So what--because we missed out on Okafor, that was our only option to add a post scorer?? I still want that low post presence, just gonna have to pay a steeper price for it now, whether it's LaMarcus Aldridge, Greg Monroe or someone else. What are ya gonna do? Just the reality of things post draft...Monroe will command less money than Aldridge and for that and several other reasons (younger, more efficient) I like Monroe better. We wound up taking a player in this draft that's a little bit of a project. Safe to say Okafor is definitely more NBA-ready at this point over Porzingis. No argument. That's not to say Porzingis can't contribute this year--I think he can, he just has a little more evolving to do physically and skill/position-wise compared to Okafor. No way are we done enhancing the frontline because we drafted KP -- it's still an ongoing process to continue rebuilding that frontcourt--I feel like we need at least two real solid FA bigs in place this way we can bring KP along at a slower pace. The two bigs I want are Monroe and Alexis Ajinca, two of the better FA bigs out there in terms of value. Both guys are on the young side, skilled and complement KP and Melo pretty well..

The point I was trying make is that skill-wise at that position, there's very little difference between Okafor and Greg Monroe when you get right down to it. I was attempting to compare their games, not their salaries...They are very similar talents and at each player's ceiling, you're looking at roughly the same projection -- a 20/10 PF/C down on the low block. One thing where Monroe has the edge--he's been around a little bit now and is closer to reaching that 20/10 plateau over Okafor--it'll probably take Okafor a shorter duration to reach his ceiling than Porzingis but it's still gonna take some time for him to develop and adjust. Monroe's just the more mature player right now in terms of realizing his full potential. No question we could definitely use that, esp. when you consider we're rebuilding, yes, but still trying to win now with Melo. Another thing that concerns me a little about Okafor -- his weight. He trimmed down for the draft--does he put the extra weight back on now? Interested to see if he turns out to be one of those guys whose weight is an on-going issue to keep under control. That could hinder his development if so. No such issue with Monroe, not that I know of anyway..

Make a good point for Greg Monroe's weakness's vs OK4's weakness's/strengths especially for their first 2 seasons *unless he improves his mobility/athleticism or the depression oh Philly can cause him to be the next Eddy Curry or motivate him much more*

Ajinicia could also be a poor mans KAT *especially for defense*

Willie Reed as a poor mans Greg Monroe

Thabeet as a poor mans ROY HIBBERT in his best years and Thabeet could mature and improve much as he has been working hard with his "potential" could be a Hassan Whiteside on DEFENSE for the D League this year, brought up to the NBA

Biyombo could be a smaller poor mans DeANdre Jordan as well, who is UFA, will be interesting to see how much he gets as he had his career year last season and developed much in terms of his game/strength/body, DEFENSE/REBOUNDING along with Shot blocking/ability to finish around the basket
However, Jordan is looking to save money though Jefferson could have injury concerns, they would like to develop Frank The Tank, Cody Zeller, more PT for Spencer Hawes, another stretch SF/PF in Marvin Williams *closer to a stretch 4* as well as probably resigning Jason Maxiell and then own his early bird rights heading in to next season
Though Biyombo is by far the best DEFENDER of that bunch and Kyle O Quin could be under the raddar pickups....

RonRon
Member: #246
6/30/2015  12:45 PM
MS wrote:Iman gets injured way to much to ever really be an effective player. He has played 240/415 games in his career. It's the knee, shoulder, etc always will be something. But I like the value signing more than Affalo. In his prime he wasn't worth 12MM a year.

This new norm for role players is going to make it very hard to field a competive team. Monroe at least is young and has the ability to improve. Affalo probably isn't that much of an upgrade over Galloway. But, I guess if the cap goes up and the team adds another free agent next season, you will have a veteran team, with Zinger, Monroe, Miller and potentially another allstar.

Iman is a SOLID DEFENDER, he needs to play with MORE DEFENDERS though, which we lacked, including a LOCKDOWN DEFENDER such as Lebron, Kawaii/Jimmy Butler,
While he defends mainly SG/PG's, and some SF's *not big enough for most*
Getting a SHOT BLOCKER that is mobile would really help and in much talent that we lacked, he cannot create his own shot but can hit wide open shots if he isn't focusing on exerting much energy on DEFENSE

With Jeremy Lin, Fields, Novak/JJ/Tyson Chandler, Bill Walker/JR Smith, Iman played very well with HIGH IQ players especially prior to his knee injury, while the others played the passing lanes as he was used to initiate our DEFENSE by harrassing PG's
While Lin initiated our OFFENSE but always hit the open man and looked to get high % shots and wide open looks
Iman won many of those games that Lin got much credit for with a steal/stop, I wish him the best like Ariza improved much when he was traded to eventually develop with The Lakers, developing confidence in his 3pt shot with players that drew double teams/triple teams, and scored much from the fast break/defense/OFF rebounds, as well as being the 4th/5th option on OFFENSE in a limited role

though Gasol/Lamor Odom were very verastile and fit well with him, along with Kobe/Bynum getting much looks for him, and Fisher to spread the floor

Solace
Alba Posts: 20
Member: #479
USA
6/30/2015  12:58 PM
Yuck to Afflalo. No thanks.
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
6/30/2015  1:06 PM
This guy had some nice options for how to use our cap space.

mreinman
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3189

6/30/2015  2:34 PM
Monroe and Affalo ... ugh

that would be a terrible offseason

so here is what phil is thinking ....
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
6/30/2015  2:36 PM
mreinman wrote:Monroe and Affalo ... ugh

Funny. I heard someone on the radio this morning (Chris Mannix?), say that would be a good offseason for the Knicks because they have done so poorly in free agency. I like Monroe. I am not sure about Affalo.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
mreinman

6/30/2015  2:37 PM
CrushAlot wrote:

Funny. I heard someone on the radio this morning (Chris Mannix?), say that would be a good offseason for the Knicks because they have done so poorly in free agency. I like Monroe. I am not sure about Affalo.

I would rather sit and do nothing then bring in guys like this.

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
6/30/2015  2:38 PM

Well that is probably the low bar for the off season. There are other options. I think Afflalo is the fall back option in case we can't get Carroll or Danny Green.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
6/30/2015  2:39 PM
nixluva wrote:

Well that is probably the low bar for the off season. There are other options. I think Afflalo is the fall back option in case we can't get Carroll or Danny Green.

Also, I think twelve mil being figured for him is high. If he gets that and Monroe gets 15 that would be all of the Knicks cap space.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
6/30/2015  2:39 PM
Yes to Monroe, pass on Affalo. Anyone still willing to gamble on Wed Matthews at SG? Otherwise, it wouldn't hurt to go into the season with cap space and be able to bid on waivers throughout the year.
mreinman

6/30/2015  2:40 PM
nixluva wrote:

at what price?

not interested in falling back. Affalo is terrible ... I though you started following win shares?

mreinman

6/30/2015  2:40 PM
MaTT4281 wrote:Yes to Monroe, pass on Affalo. Anyone still willing to gamble on Wed Matthews at SG? Otherwise, it wouldn't hurt to go into the season with cap space and be able to bid on waivers throughout the year.

I would gamble on him. Better than signing sh1tty players.

mreinman

6/30/2015  2:41 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
nixluva wrote:

Also, I think twelve mil being figured for him is high. If he gets that and Monroe gets 15 that would be all of the Knicks cap space.

12 is high? Its retarded! 5 is high.

crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
6/30/2015  2:43 PM
Take it for what it's worth, but:

¿ △ ?
mreinman

6/30/2015  2:44 PM
crzymdups wrote:Take it for what it's worth, but:

If we don't overpay for west, I would be ok with this.

Knicks frontrunners for Monroe, Afflalo per Wojnarowski

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy