[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Knicks frontrunners for Monroe, Afflalo per Wojnarowski
Author Thread
TheloniusMonk
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #705
USA
6/29/2015  3:02 PM
http://theknicksblog.com/knicks/knicks-are-frontrunners-to-sign-monroe-and-afflalo/

Knicks are frontrunners to sign Monroe and Afflalo
June 29th, 2015 2:46 pm

The Knicks are frontrunners to sign free agents Greg Monroe and Arron Afflalo, Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports is reporting (June 29).

Earlier Monday, it was reported that Carmelo Anthony had already called Afflalo, and that the club was set to meet with Monroe later this week (June 29).

Wednesday is the first day that teams are allowed to meet with free agents.

Monroe, 25, averaged 15.9 points and 10.2 rebounds while playing 31 minutes per game last season for the Pistons.

Afflalo, 29, averaged 13.3 points and 3.2 rebounds while playing 32.1 minutes per game last season for the Blazers.

'You can catch me in Hollis at the hero shop!' -Tony Yayo
AUTOADVERT
mreinman
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3189

6/29/2015  3:03 PM
TheloniusMonk wrote:http://theknicksblog.com/knicks/knicks-are-frontrunners-to-sign-monroe-and-afflalo/

Knicks are frontrunners to sign Monroe and Afflalo
June 29th, 2015 2:46 pm

The Knicks are frontrunners to sign free agents Greg Monroe and Arron Afflalo, Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports is reporting (June 29).

Earlier Monday, it was reported that Carmelo Anthony had already called Afflalo, and that the club was set to meet with Monroe later this week (June 29).

Wednesday is the first day that teams are allowed to meet with free agents.

Monroe, 25, averaged 15.9 points and 10.2 rebounds while playing 31 minutes per game last season for the Pistons.

Afflalo, 29, averaged 13.3 points and 3.2 rebounds while playing 32.1 minutes per game last season for the Blazers.

fixed

so here is what phil is thinking ....
TheloniusMonk
Member: #705
USA
6/29/2015  3:04 PM
Thanx, bro.
'You can catch me in Hollis at the hero shop!' -Tony Yayo
EwingsGlass
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #893
USA
6/29/2015  3:04 PM
Monroe and Afflalo would be a measure of mediocrity. Way to be the 14rh team in the lottery.
This is the Randle.
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
6/29/2015  3:05 PM
Afflalo? yuck
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
6/29/2015  3:07 PM
fishmike wrote:Afflalo? yuck

no one that Melo wants/is buds with. And that is what I am guessing that is- when it says Melo called.

technomaster
Member: #426
USA
6/29/2015  3:11 PM
No he is buds with, unless it's Lebron, CP3, or Wade. :)

What if... the Knicks could get Lebron NOW?

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
callmened
Member: #4234

6/29/2015  3:13 PM
EwingsGlass wrote:Monroe and Afflalo would be a measure of mediocrity. Way to be the 14rh team in the lottery.

lol. its an improvement from last yr. are we winning the OBrien trophy next yr? no but its an improvement

Knicks should be improved: win about 40 games and maybe sneak into the playoffs. Melo, Rose and even Noah will have some nice moments however this team should be about PORZINGUS. the sooner they make him the primary player, the better
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
6/29/2015  3:15 PM
Monroe fills an easy to see need. What does Afflalo bring?
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
6/29/2015  3:16 PM
I actually like Afflalo.

I think that's solid, considering DeMarre Carroll and Danny Green were both pretty much long shots.

We still need another big man though.

¿ △ ?
crzymdups
USA
6/29/2015  3:18 PM
I wonder if the plan is to offer David West the full MLE - he gets the same amount of dollars but over longer years and transitions into more of a mentor / coaching role?

This is a decent ten man rotation -

Calderon / Grant
Afflalo / Galloway
Melo / Early
West / Porzingis
Monroe / Cole

¿ △ ?
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
6/29/2015  3:20 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/29/2015  3:21 PM
I'd take Afflalo for the league min.
crzymdups
USA
6/29/2015  3:21 PM
fishmike wrote:Monroe fills an easy to see need. What does Afflalo bring?

Athletic, big defensive SG who can shoot and score. Can play some SF in smaller lineups where Melo slides over to PF.

I like him - solid all around player. Not great, but a solid and heady vet.

If we sign Monroe for $16M, we don't have a ton of cash left. And as much as we all want Danny Green, I haven't seen a single rumor that he's considered talking to the Knicks as a potential destination. They may have reached out and been rebuffed. I like DeMarre Carroll, but chances are he costs too much. I like Khris Middleton but he's RFA and has made it plain he wants to go back to Milwaukee.

¿ △ ?
yellowboy90
Member: #3538

6/29/2015  3:21 PM
Afflalo has lost his appeal. He doesn't rebound, pass, or defend. I'd pass.
meloanyk
Member: #5615

6/29/2015  3:29 PM
All a matter of price/contract length with Affalo. At modest terms, he could be worth it as he can hit the three and provide some perimeter D. As far as Monroe, he posts numbers and will get paid by someone, my reservation would be his defensive pairing with Melo. If Jax could somehow pry a Noel to anchor D then these names would be easier to embrace
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
6/29/2015  3:31 PM
yellowboy90 wrote:Afflalo has lost his appeal. He doesn't rebound, pass, or defend. I'd pass.

In another words, a solid opportunity to buy-low.

crzymdups
USA
6/29/2015  3:32 PM
I don't mind Afflalo... but $12M per for Afflalo is basically Melo service. sigh.
¿ △ ?
callmened
Member: #4234

6/29/2015  3:33 PM
what type of injury did affalo have last yr with portland? i remember he was traded there but couldnt play in the playoffs. i think it was his shoulder?!?!
Knicks should be improved: win about 40 games and maybe sneak into the playoffs. Melo, Rose and even Noah will have some nice moments however this team should be about PORZINGUS. the sooner they make him the primary player, the better
crzymdups
USA
6/29/2015  3:34 PM
More from WOJO:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--knicks-to-pursue-arron-afflalo-in-free-agency-190634905.html

The New York Knicks are emerging as the frontrunners to sign free-agent guard Arron Afflalo, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

For months, the Knicks and rival executives have believed that New York is the likely destination for Detroit fre- agent forward Greg Monroe, and now it appears that Afflalo is the most likey target to potentially join him with Carmelo Anthony in New York, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

With Monroe expecting to command a maximum contract on the market, Afflalo could earn a deal in the neighborhood of three years, $36 million-$38 million, league sources said.

The Knicks have the salary-cap space to sign both, pairing them with All-Star Carmelo Anthony in the starting lineup.

Afflalo finished the past season in Portland, where he had been traded at the February deadline from Denver. Afflalo averaged 13.3 points on the season. Across his seven seasons, including stops in Detroit, Denver, Orlando and Portland, he has averaged 11 points a game.

¿ △ ?
Finestrg
Member: #1069

6/29/2015  3:35 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/29/2015  10:07 PM
Well, for anyone who wants Monroe, this has got to make you feel a little better after hearing speculation today that Monroe may not sign here. I definitely want Monroe -- this dude can be a 20/12 player in this league with only a few more mins a night and a couple more shots up at the basket a night. No question in my mind about that. They go about it a little differently but basically everything I like about Enes Kanter I like about Monroe as well. He's basically everything we'd want out of Jahlil Okafor if we had drafted that kid. I honestly don't see much of a difference in Greg Monroe and Okafor. If anything, Greg Monroe is a lot closer to realizing 20/10 production than Okafor is. I find it funny that 99% of people would've loved Okafor in the draft yet it feels like less than 50% of the peeps around here don't want Monroe. What's the big difference between the two? Okafor a little wider/thicker (which could present a problem down the road if Jahlil doesn't take care of himself) but honestly, I don't really see any difference.. With Monroe, ya figure there's a lot less waiting to get close to that 20/10 level of play--I think if his usage is upped slightly, he gets there next year...He'd be a very good signing.

Afflalo? I don't know about that one -- nice player, he's in that Wes Matthews class for me. How much is this guy looking for? I'm tellin' ya -- I wouldn't look to throw a ton of money at the 2G spot. Try to bring back Shved, add and continue cultivating Ricky Ledo then look to the DL and/or inexpensive Euro. FAs for a 3rd 2G for depth -- guys like Daniel Hackett (let's see what he's got in SL), Scotty Hopson, Kevin Murphy (innate ability to go out there and score the ball), Orlando Johnson, Jerrell Eddie, Dominique Jones (Phil likes versatile 2s that can handle and distribute the ball--that's exactly what this guy is. Smooth offensive player too), maybe Michael Frazier (just because GS is bringing him in for SL doesn't mean he's their property -- we can still swoop in an make an offer. Can't picture him sticking with that team anyway--and if he did, how much PT is he ever really getting there? Dude can really shoot it) are all good possibilities...Afflalo is a good player but I don't like him for Wes Matthews-type money. I want Monroe -- that's $15-16mm right there that's well spent. And I want Monroe as my starting PF. I still want a legit C. If you told me we could go out an add Monroe and Alexis Ajinca (just a better value option over Robin Lopez and Koufos inho) first and then take a crack at Afflalo knowing we also have Shved locked up (apparently we can exceed the cap to resign Shved--I believe Berman mentioned it in an article the other day) -- OK. One good thing about bringing in Afflalo -- he might make NY that much more of an attractive place for a Greg Monroe to sign with. I dunno though--my gut tell me conserve cap space here and look for a cheaper solution.

Knicks frontrunners for Monroe, Afflalo per Wojnarowski

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy