[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

The case for Justice Winslow
Author Thread
blkexec
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #748
5/22/2015  2:48 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:
Knicks1969 wrote:Exactly bikexec. Harden's weaknesses are now his strengths. His handle is now one of the best in the league. I think Winslow, under the right system and coaching, can be special as well. The kid was coached by a big time coach in coach K

I don't see him as a Harden.

I mentioned this somewhere else- Coach K compared him to Wade.

Not sure about this either, but Harden can be a very selfish player at times, although he's gotten better.

I think Winslow is more team oriented, and he's talented enough to fit well into the triangle without too much trouble.

The Ginobili comparison is interesting. I can almost see this, and Ginobili also has a rather awkward shot/release that still gets the job done.

I thought the Ginobili comparison was also interesting and might be better than Harden. As far as how a shot looks doesn't mean much when you think of Reggie Miller and his ugly shot. As long as you are consistent, it doesn't matter how your form looks. This is coming from a very solid shooter myself. Probably the one skill must people would say I have, if you saw me play. His jumper can be as efficient as Ginobili...hitting big shots in crunch time. And I don't think they compared him to Harden's selfishness....it's really the way they both attack the basket in traffic with power and quickness or shoot the 3. That skill combination is great to have. Keeps defenders off balance.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
AUTOADVERT
FistOfOakley
Member: #3075

5/22/2015  2:57 PM
many ppl think he's a SF.. but he's not.. he's much better at SG for his size and skillset...
smackeddog
Member: #883
5/22/2015  3:49 PM
In spite of Justise Winslow having an insane tournament run where he has consistently been the best player on the floor while looking like a cyborg amongst boys, it has not been a common reaction to discuss him as the #1 pick. He has elevated himself from a mid-late lottery pick to #6 ESPN and #5 DX, but has yet to gain any traction as a possible top 2 pick. This is likely because he was only the #13 RSCI player, and the top two candidate for #1 have been performing as advertised all season. It feels overreactive to suddenly elevate Winslow above them based on a few strong tournament games. This is normally an acceptable line of thought to prevent draft assessments from going off the rails, but Justise is special and deserves special consideration.

First it must be addressed why he was only the #13 RSCI recruit. DraftExpress’s pre-season video lists his weaknesses as perimeter shooting, offensive creation, and limited upside. Perimeter shooting lingers as a question mark, as Winslow has only shot 96/149 (64.4%) on FT and 23/89 (25.8%) on non-rim 2PA. But this is mitigated by his 45/108 (41.7%) 3 point shooting. While it is not a given that he will be an adequate 3 point shooter in the NBA, his odds are strong enough such that this is not a glaring red flag.

Offensive creation is an area where Winslow has clearly exceeded expectations. His ball handling still needs polish, but this has not stopped him from creating his own shot at the rim in the half-court. He combines his great first step with surprisingly smooth footwork to be one of the most productive wings at creating his own shot at the rim in the half-court in the draft. Using hoop-math.com’s splits, he has 30 unassisted rim FG (not including putbacks). Looking at last year’s class, his per minute rate exceeds that of most NCAA prospects in the draft, including all of the top 6 picks. The players who graded exceptionally well such as Jordan Clarkson, TJ Warren, and Elfrid Payton all appear to be good draft values, so I believe this is a relevant split to examine. Winslow’s freshman rate is comfortably behind the three of them, but they were all upperclassmen and it would not be surprising to see Winslow get to the rim with extreme frequency if he were to return as a sophomore. He clearly has significant upside as a slasher, especially if he can continue to improve his handle at a brisk rate.

The limited upside criticism has always felt overplayed to me to see for a player as young, toolsy, and skilled as Winslow, but I will nevertheless entertain the logic. He does not have great height/length for a SF (measured 6’6″ with a 6’10” wingspan at the Hoop Summit) and he was advertised as a good but not elite athlete. With a limited offensive skill set, it is understandable why he may have been seen as a 1 way defensive player. That said it is safe to dismiss the limited upside criticism with the promise he has shown as a slasher as well as his athleticism being better than advertised. He grades well athletically by every statistical measure from rebounds, steals, and blocks to rim creation and rim finishing splits. His athleticism also stands out by watching him play, especially with his monster transition defense.

I suspect that another factor plaguing Winslow’s upside perception is that there simply isn’t a superstar small forward that we can comfortably compare him to other than Kawhi Leonard who is much longer and a special snowflake that is generally an ill advised comp to make. On the other end, Chad Ford has been pitching Michael Kidd-Gilchrist as a Winslow comparison which is an extremely pessimistic projection for two reasons.

1) MKG had good tools, but explosive athleticism was not one of them. Elite strength with average burst is a common mold for disappointing translation from NCAA to NBA.
2) MKG’s NCAA statistics imply some hope for capable NBA 3 point shooting, but he has only shot 3/18 beyond the arc in his first 3 seasons. If Winslow is a complete non-threat from 3 then yes he will be disappointing, but this is the rock bottom end of his range.

As a cherry on top, VJL’s EWP formula ranks Winslow (8.7) ahead of MKG (7.0) entering the final 4. Winslow should be a better NBA player than MKG the overwhelming majority of the time. There remains a lack of a suitable upside comparison as one does not exist, so instead of forcing one it is better to evaluate Winslow on his own merits:

-His overall NCAA statistics are excellent. As a freshman he is filling every predictive part of the stat sheet other than FT% and mid-range shooting.
-His second half splits are staggering as he battled minor injuries earlier in the season and also has clearly improved his game as the season has progressed.
-Most of his monster games have come against the meat of the ACC schedule and tough matchups in the NCAA tournament.
-His athleticism, strength, and quickness are all big +’s. Height and length are not great, but they are not weaknesses if he has grown a half an inch or more since the Hoop Summit.
-He offers an elite defensive IQ and versatility. This is supported by Duke having the #12 kenpom defense while featuring offensive minded players as his primary support in Quinn Cook, Jahlil Okafor, and Tyus Jones.
-His individual dominance has correlated with team success as Duke has been smashing its competition during his 2nd half hot streak.

In short, Winslow’s statistics put him within arm’s length of the #1 spot when taken at face value. Every possible reason to value his statistics differently suggests that stats underrate him when taken at face value– physical tools, defensive reputation, second half splits, splits vs. top competition, team success, and rim creation splits/skills all grade favorably for him. The only possible hole in his game is perimeter shooting, but he nevertheless has a sizable slice of equity to become an average or better NBA shooter. Winslow glows with awesomeness from every angle and his draft stock should be valued tremendously high. He is a prototypical high floor, high ceiling two way wing prospect who is deserves consideration for the #1 overall selection.

Justise does not necessarily belong ahead of Karl Towns, as high floor, high ceiling two way center prospects are good too, and it is genuinely close between the two. The more important point is that Winslow’s perception needs to be updated from a solid consolation prize in the 4-7 range to a legitimate stud who is one of the top top prizes in this year’s draft and a favorite to become an all-star at some point in his NBA career. He really is that good, and it is time to treat him as such.

http://deanondraft.com/2015/04/06/serving-justise-to-justise-should-winslow-go-1/

EwingsGlass
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #893
USA
5/22/2015  4:33 PM
I like Justise better than Mudiay. The key for me two points. First, Mudiay's AAU team won more without Nudist than with him. Second, Mudiay's Chinese team appears to have performed better without him than with him. Winslow won a ring. Ok4 failed to show up and Winslow still won a ring. Two way player that still has needs to develop, but all his preliminary indicators are top notch. A top athlete with pedigree. And lets not call him a poor shooter... Clearly shot 41% from 3 ... 49% from the field. Needs to work on his FT... Badly. So does Russell, though.

Pick #4 for me is Justise Winslow. He will pair well with Melo.

This is the Randle.
smackeddog
5/22/2015  4:45 PM
EwingsGlass wrote:I like Justise better than Mudiay. The key for me two points. First, Mudiay's AAU team won more without Nudist than with him. Second, Mudiay's Chinese team appears to have performed better without him than with him. Winslow won a ring. Ok4 failed to show up and Winslow still won a ring. Two way player that still has needs to develop, but all his preliminary indicators are top notch. A top athlete with pedigree. And lets not call him a poor shooter... Clearly shot 41% from 3 ... 49% from the field. Needs to work on his FT... Badly. So does Russell, though.

Who is Nudist?

Moonangie
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #2788

5/22/2015  5:01 PM
Vmart wrote:I like Winslow. I like how he rebounds and runs the break he attacks the basket well decent shooter. But does he have the ability to raise the level of play of others? Can he create for others at a high level. Winslow would be a great player to have but if presented with the choice of Mudiay or Winslow I would take Mudiay, Winslow for me was behind Mudiay but ahead of Russell only because of athleticism.

^^^ This. Mudiay is not only great at scoring off the dribble, in the open floor, breaking down D, etc...he also will make everyone else on the team more effective. That is FAR more valuable than an athletic wing. I like Winslow a lot, and would draft him at 6-10, but in this stocked draft, we need a franchise-changing talent at #4. Mudiay might very well be that player. Or Russell if Philly grabs Mudiay.

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
5/22/2015  5:09 PM
EwingsGlass wrote:I like Justise better than Mudiay. The key for me two points. First, Mudiay's AAU team won more without Nudist than with him. Second, Mudiay's Chinese team appears to have performed better without him than with him. Winslow won a ring. Ok4 failed to show up and Winslow still won a ring. Two way player that still has needs to develop, but all his preliminary indicators are top notch. A top athlete with pedigree. And lets not call him a poor shooter... Clearly shot 41% from 3 ... 49% from the field. Needs to work on his FT... Badly. So does Russell, though.

The big strength for me is that Winslow is able to excel without the ball. I like the idea of Mudiay, but I can see how Winslow would be a better fit from day one. With Mudiay I have to reserve some doubt about his upside and fit in the Triangle even if I think he should be able to get the job done. With Winslow I have no doubts about how his game would translate. He may not have the high upside but I think he's more of a sure thing not to bust. There's more of a risk of a bust with Mudiay.
FistOfOakley

5/22/2015  5:25 PM
winslow compares pretty favorably to guys like butler and kawhi leonard... and he shoots better than them as a freshman than they were as sophomores...

i think alot of butler's and leonard's success came from the situation they got drafted in but winslow is coming into the league MORE talented than either of them were... which is why he's a top5 prospect and they were lotto to first round types...

The limited upside arguments are sort of warranted but we're not comparing him to a John Wall type of prospect or a Kyrie Irving or a James Harden... mudiay is not that and even if he was... winslow has a chance to be as good as that... there is no james harden in this draft unless you count russell who has his own issues with those comps...

this is not a potential good role players vs a potential star debate... winslow and mudiay both project to be great starters with some potential to be stars....

ramtour420
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1388
Russian Federation
5/22/2015  6:30 PM
Wow, getting the 4th pick might be a blessing! If we were picking second or third he would probably not even be considered. So let's see here, a two way player you say? Isn't there only one other high pick who can be claimed as such? Interesting.
So let's look at this as a BPA vs. potential vs. drafting to fill a need.

So I'll start with filling a need. Who is our shooting guard again? Who are we gonna sign in FA? That's right, not much there so this is a win for us when it comes to filling a need. Two way player, no less

Now potential, Butler , Leonard? Where do I sign up for this? I'll take that all day, every day and twice on Sunday.

Now the BPA argument. WCS is a Tyson Chandler type, one way player, although a big. That's value undoubtedly. Mudiay is a Tyreke Evans type, also valuable but unproven, unknown, was taken to school by Marbury. Meh. Now here we have a perfect Robin to our Carmelo, a clutch two way player. If he did not have a couple of questions about his game he would be #1 option and a top pick. So it's good to buy low, especially knowing his dedication and him being a gym rat.

Now let's talk about his game. What do I want from my SG in the triangle to win a Chip? I want a two way player, someone who is clutch and tough enough to play through injuries/ flu/ whatever the case may be. I want him to make his teammates better. I want him to play bigger than he is. Now Some neccessary triangle skills. Passer, slasher or midrange shooter (we got one of the two), 3 point maker. Check, check, and check. Wow.

Weaknesses: handle, TO, midrange shot, FT.
Handle- will not need to break down the D in the triangle( can be hidden)
Turn overs- again, can be hidden in the triangle where you need quick passes and his passing is a strength
Midrange- if it improves ( already 49% fg) he will be elite, not out of question
FT- seems like an easier skill to improve ( think D Lee)

Conclusion: all of the minuses can be hidden/ worked on
If we draft this kid we will make the most out of this draft. ( no, don't trade the damn pick for obvious reasons)

Everything you have ever wanted is on the other side of fear- George Adair
EwingsGlass
USA
5/22/2015  7:00 PM
smackeddog wrote:

Who is Nudist?

Damn you auto correct!
This is the Randle.
nixluva
USA
5/22/2015  7:02 PM
ramtour420 wrote:Wow, getting the 4th pick might be a blessing! If we were picking second or third he would probably not even be considered. So let's see here, a two way player you say? Isn't there only one other high pick who can be claimed as such? Interesting.
So let's look at this as a BPA vs. potential vs. drafting to fill a need.

So I'll start with filling a need. Who is our shooting guard again? Who are we gonna sign in FA? That's right, not much there so this is a win for us when it comes to filling a need. Two way player, no less

Now potential, Butler , Leonard? Where do I sign up for this? I'll take that all day, every day and twice on Sunday.

Now the BPA argument. WCS is a Tyson Chandler type, one way player, although a big. That's value undoubtedly. Mudiay is a Tyreke Evans type, also valuable but unproven, unknown, was taken to school by Marbury. Meh. Now here we have a perfect Robin to our Carmelo, a clutch two way player. If he did not have a couple of questions about his game he would be #1 option and a top pick. So it's good to buy low, especially knowing his dedication and him being a gym rat.

Now let's talk about his game. What do I want from my SG in the triangle to win a Chip? I want a two way player, someone who is clutch and tough enough to play through injuries/ flu/ whatever the case may be. I want him to make his teammates better. I want him to play bigger than he is. Now Some neccessary triangle skills. Passer, slasher or midrange shooter (we got one of the two), 3 point maker. Check, check, and check. Wow.

Weaknesses: handle, TO, midrange shot, FT.
Handle- will not need to break down the D in the triangle( can be hidden)
Turn overs- again, can be hidden in the triangle where you need quick passes and his passing is a strength
Midrange- if it improves ( already 49% fg) he will be elite, not out of question
FT- seems like an easier skill to improve ( think D Lee)

Conclusion: all of the minuses can be hidden/ worked on
If we draft this kid we will make the most out of this draft. ( no, don't trade the damn pick for obvious reasons)

Nice job. I have to say Winslow is growing on me, more and more. It's just that I don't want the Knicks to miss with this pick. I want someone who is gonna bring it every night and I trust Winslow more than anyone else in this range to be able to bring a high level of play on both ends.
EwingsGlass
USA
5/22/2015  7:11 PM
I can go a little further. Right now we have a PG in Calderon who probably should be waived, but will be given training camp at least to show his worth. You have rights to Shved at PG also. We can talk BPA but at this moment, I have not seen enough of Mudiay to believe he is so much better than our other options. He is a concensus #4 pick, except where others really delve into Justise. His stat line next to Russell's actually looks pretty good. I think Winslow is better for this team than Mudiay. Winslow can be a dynamic wing that absolutely excels in the triangle. And he can do it without the ball.
This is the Randle.
nixluva
USA
5/22/2015  7:54 PM
EwingsGlass wrote:I can go a little further. Right now we have a PG in Calderon who probably should be waived, but will be given training camp at least to show his worth. You have rights to Shved at PG also. We can talk BPA but at this moment, I have not seen enough of Mudiay to believe he is so much better than our other options. He is a concensus #4 pick, except where others really delve into Justise. His stat line next to Russell's actually looks pretty good. I think Winslow is better for this team than Mudiay. Winslow can be a dynamic wing that absolutely excels in the triangle. And he can do it without the ball.

Yeah the key being "without the ball". This offense rewards players who can do things on the court even without the ball. Not to mention his defensive presence. It's a tough thing to accept. The idea of drafting a player this high, who likely isn't a superstar per se but rather a very good 2 way player. The thing we have to ask is if we knew Jimmy Butler or Kawhi would be this good wouldn't we take them higher in the draft? I would accept it if they feel Mudiay is worth the pick, but I want them to be as convinced as possible, otherwise just take Winslow and be happy.
FistOfOakley

5/22/2015  7:56 PM
the real difficult choice is in the unlikely scenario if both winslow and russell are there at 4... they are very equal and bring different things to the table...
nixluva
USA
5/22/2015  8:10 PM
FistOfOakley wrote:the real difficult choice is in the unlikely scenario if both winslow and russell are there at 4... they are very equal and bring different things to the table...

I've heard that there is a contingent of the Knicks that loves Russell. I would guess that there are others who like Mudiay and Winslow. I wonder what the deciding factor will be depending on which 2 are available of the 3 when we pick?
FistOfOakley

5/22/2015  8:20 PM
i like russell a lil bit more right now.. but sometimes i say winslow would be better... it's a matter of how much more offense do you want vs how good do you want to be defensively....
EwingsGlass
USA
5/22/2015  8:53 PM
I have Russell above Winslow. That's solely cause I see Russell like a Stephen Curry and Winslow like a Jimmy Butler. Honestly, not sure the modeling works in either case. That said, Russell as a lefty PG can have more value spreading the floor in a strong right triangle. The two man game starting from Russell may have a bit more room to operate. I expect Russell to be drafted higher than Winslow. But I like Winslow more cause of his two way play. At the 4, I want Winslow all day. God forbid Russell is still on the board, I'll tale either.
This is the Randle.
yellowboy90
Member: #3538

5/22/2015  9:39 PM
I bet going forward Russell will be a better defender than Winslow
Knicks1969
Member: #5915

5/22/2015  9:43 PM
Winslow is just 19 and only played one year of college. He was successful playing in a system that did not feature his pure talent. Just imagine how good this kid could be if he ever finds himself playing in a system when he is the 1a or 1b
Thank God Fisher is no longer our coach, now let's get Calderon out of here:)
smackeddog
5/23/2015  3:41 AM    LAST EDITED: 5/23/2015  3:50 AM

Hmm, how about a team of:

PG- Beverley (traded for Calderon)
SG- Winslow
SF- Carroll
PF- Melo
C- Monroe (or Hibbert as a stop gap for this year)

The case for Justice Winslow

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy