[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

The case for Justice Winslow
Author Thread
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

5/22/2015  2:21 AM    LAST EDITED: 5/22/2015  2:24 AM
callmened wrote:when you say closer to stackhouse...u mean built like a truck-stackhouse?

offensively stackhouse was a scoring machine inside and out. winslow doesnt have much on offense. he has a nice transition game, improving jumper and powerful B-Line drives

I see him as a guy who will get his points slashing to the hoop and getting to the foul line. Stack had a lot of the same weaknesses coming out of UNC. Shaky J, shaky handle, a bit turnover prone. Even in the pros, Stack only shot like 31% from three. Winslow has the same attacking style. His first instinct is to attack the rim.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
AUTOADVERT
callmened
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #4234

5/22/2015  2:40 AM
my point was stackhouse was a bonafide scorer no questions asked. all i know about winslow is that hes a beast physically, thrives in transition and plays good defense. heis learning how to shoot and his scoring can improve. but stackhouse was more polished offensively coming out of UNC
Knicks should be improved: win about 40 games and maybe sneak into the playoffs. Melo, Rose and even Noah will have some nice moments however this team should be about PORZINGUS. the sooner they make him the primary player, the better
smackeddog
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #883
5/22/2015  4:57 AM
One of his main strengths is his character- he has a AAA attitude, exactly what Fisher said we're looking for: tenacious, hard working, not afraid of the big moment- he stepped up big time in the tournament. That will ensure he gets the most out of his potential and he will work hard. Also the fact he improved so much as the year goes on, indicates he may have even more upside, much like Jimmy Butler showed.

I have my reservations though- I have no skill in scouting, can someone answer: can he play the SG spot effectively? If he can't, I'm not sure if it's wise to draft a SF when SF is the only spot we actually have filled (Melo, Early, Thannasis).

Also looking at FA, you can kind of sign a Winslow, by going for Carroll, where as there are no FA PGs that have the potential skills of Mudiay.

I'm torn- I like him a lot, but he's kind of like the third piece you'd add rather than the second, if that makes sense. Not knowing how free agency is going to go makes this draft even tougher! I suspect the Knicks will pick Winslow (him hanging out with melo, Fisher basically describing him when saying what we were looking for on the day of the combine).

smackeddog
Member: #883
5/22/2015  5:03 AM
One thing we should add to these case threads maybe should be what free agents you'd target to complement the draft pick.
callmened
Member: #4234

5/22/2015  5:24 AM
smackeddog wrote:One thing we should add to these case threads maybe should be what free agents you'd target to complement the draft pick.

interesting idea!

Knicks should be improved: win about 40 games and maybe sneak into the playoffs. Melo, Rose and even Noah will have some nice moments however this team should be about PORZINGUS. the sooner they make him the primary player, the better
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
5/22/2015  7:43 AM
If the Knicks take Winslow do they trade Early and/or Thanasis. I think if you grab Winslow at 4 you are planning on him anchoring the 2-3 position for a long time.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
dk7th
Member: #4228
USA
5/22/2015  8:02 AM
BRIGGS wrote:Since we have gone through the prospects today lets get to all of them.

Here is the question with Winslow--can he use the dribble to make plays like James Harden can? Is this player a combo of Harden Butler and Leonard?

Will his open floor game not only translate to the NBA but actually exceed expectations?

Hes got a nice jumper for 19 can he continue that and even get better?

Im confused about this pick as anyone--believe me. But we have a month to get it right.

Watching this video--when you step back and look at it a few times--he's going to be great.

i agree. he is cut from the same cloth as paul george, jimmy butler, kawhi leonard. not too many two-way wing players out there. the knicks would be wise to draft him. the triangle doesn't call for a point guard, it requires players who with good court vision, good conditioning, good passing instincts. hence the knicks would get full value from winslow, but diminished value from players who are more in the point guard/scoring point guard mold.

the knicks need two-way players in their starting lineup in the worst possible way.

knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

5/22/2015  8:16 AM
Winslow looks like he will be a very good role player, but as others have mentioned, thats not what you want with the 4 pick. Unfortunately since we are out of the top three, getting a very good role player is the safest bet.

Phil might not want to take the risk of drafting a potential bust and go that route. Or that theory might be why he could trade the pick to make the most of Melo's prime, while he still has one.

Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
5/22/2015  8:17 AM
CrushAlot wrote:If the Knicks take Winslow do they trade Early and/or Thanasis. I think if you grab Winslow at 4 you are planning on him anchoring the 2-3 position for a long time.

Early and Thanasis are 2nd round picks. They are role players who will probably never be starting players. You draft Winslow to be a starter, and the others help fill out the roster.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
5/22/2015  8:23 AM
Knixkik wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:If the Knicks take Winslow do they trade Early and/or Thanasis. I think if you grab Winslow at 4 you are planning on him anchoring the 2-3 position for a long time.

Early and Thanasis are 2nd round picks. They are role players who will probably never be starting players. You draft Winslow to be a starter, and the others help fill out the roster.

I am not saying their not role players but do you need three young guys that play the same position or do you try to move one and fill a need?
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
5/22/2015  8:40 AM
CrushAlot wrote:
Knixkik wrote:

I am not saying their not role players but do you need three young guys that play the same position or do you try to move one and fill a need?

I think Winslow would be a SG here and the other 2 will be SF or combo forwards. I don't think either of them have enough trade value to use to fill another need, i just think both are good fillers in a potential trade. But hopefully we keep both. Always need athletic forwards.
anrst
Member: #1054
USA
5/22/2015  8:49 AM
im torn on this kid. he is a very safe pick. he won't be a flop in the league. you can just tell, he has "it" ... its hard to believe he's just a teenager.
s3231
Member: #544
USA
5/22/2015  9:03 AM
I keep forgetting he is only 19....really think he is going to be a very good player in the league for a long time as he does everything.

As much as we want to complain about missing out on #1 and #2, we are lucky the draft is this strong. There should definitely be an all-star caliber player sitting there at #4.

"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
newyorker4ever
Member: #5816

5/22/2015  9:47 AM
BRIGGS wrote:The only question mark is his game off the dribble. Thats what Harden does so well and so far Winslow does not. Hes got a great dribble drive and Euro step but he isnt a great shooter off the dribble YET. He does have a good -looking lefty set stroke. BUT D Wade was NOT a good shooter off the dribble initially either--he was prolific at B line drives which could not be stopped. This is the scary guy because he has that combination power and athletic ability set. Only other guys in the draft who hasve the same is Andersen Wells and Rice but they are not at Winslows level of two way play and they are 3 years older.

Yeah I agree and can't see any way anyone could be mad at picking him at 4. The kid is being compared to two all stars in Butler and Leonard who both pretty much came into the league with the same questions of great defenders and great athleticism but need to work on their shots and K.Leonard is still inconsistent with his shot at times but both of them are at the top of everyone's wish list in free agency right now. If we stay at 4 then there's three guys on my list at 4 in Winslow, Mudiay, Porzingis and even though I wouldnt be thrilled with the pick I still have WCS as a distant 4th.

NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
5/22/2015  9:50 AM
I love his game and toughness but I don't think you can justify picking him at 4. Not when you have the ceiling that Russell and Mudiay have.
newyorker4ever

5/22/2015  9:52 AM
Knicks1969 wrote:I still can't believe we are picking fourth in this draft. That is a travesty. At two or three, we would have many more options.

At two or three we would have one or two more options.
newyorker4ever

5/22/2015  9:57 AM
BigDaddyG wrote:Winslow reminds me of guys like Jerry Stackhouse and Quentin Richardson's powerfully built wings who were forced to play power forward in college. I think Winslow can make the transition, but it's hard to tell where he eventually lands. Butler, Stack house...Richard Jefferson? Wings are the hardest guys to predict. For every Arron Afflalo that surprises deep in the draft, there's a guy like Xavier Henry who flops. If I had to guess, I'd say Winslow is closer to Stackhouse. That's a nice player to have.

I dont see the comparison between Winslow and Stack at all really.

newyorker4ever

5/22/2015  10:02 AM
smackeddog wrote:One thing we should add to these case threads maybe should be what free agents you'd target to complement the draft pick.

Oh good job you just gave Briggs another thread to start. Lol

VCoug
Member: #1406

5/22/2015  10:32 AM
Winslow is a guy I honed in on in case we missed out on the two big men and now that's going to happen and I really think Winslow is the guy I want. I definitely agree with the Kawhi/Paul George comparisons; I think at a minimum he's a game changing defender who can defend 1-3 as well as small-ball 4s and who will be at least a capable offensive player that other teams will have to respect. And, he was a much better 3-point shooter than either MKG or Leonard were in college.

Also, I don't see that anyone mentioned his injury. He played with a broken rib for the first half season. It healed in January and that's when we really took off.

Now the joy of my world is in Zion How beautiful if nothing more Than to wait at Zion's door I've never been in love like this before Now let me pray to keep you from The perils that will surely come
Vmart
Member: #247
USA
5/22/2015  10:39 AM
I like Winslow. I like how he rebounds and runs the break he attacks the basket well decent shooter. But does he have the ability to raise the level of play of others? Can he create for others at a high level. Winslow would be a great player to have but if presented with the choice of Mudiay or Winslow I would take Mudiay, Winslow for me was behind Mudiay but ahead of Russell only because of athleticism.
The case for Justice Winslow

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy