[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

The Case for Porzingis.
Author Thread
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
5/21/2015  7:14 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/21/2015  7:20 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:^^ I was surprised when Yi Jianlin was taken where he was. Maybe some kind of Yao Ming effect?

I would like to see him matched against some smaller quicker players, but also have Porsingis work out with some bruisers when he comes in, maybe even guys who are secretly told to rough-house and intimidate him if they can.

Phil is getting the big money to build a winning team, and talent evaluation is THE most important thing for him to excel in at this point.

Ultimately, I just want a player who we can build with, whoever that may be. Just have to trust our talent evaluators.

This would be a lot easier if we were at #1 or #2, but it has been noted before that picking 3 or 4 might be the toughest place to make your choice in this draft.

Nothing to do but wait and listen for the workout rumors and reports that will be coming out at some point.

I guess so.
My red flags are his body type--ectomorphic meaning I don't think he can put on too much more quality weight.(and I think he weighs only around 200 pounds)
He has a tweener awkwardness about him. He doesnt handle or pass the ball. So while he has a nice jumpshot I think his nuances of the game are 1/2 full at best.
Propensity of injury for that body type. Ectomorphic body types tend to injure easily. His bones are simply smaller and how will that effect his muscle joint cartilage etc from constant pounding.

Foreign born and young. Not a killer but its an issue.

Is he going to sit out on the NBA 3 point line like Bargnani too much?

Can he defend guys who are 240-260 in the block? Im not buying that right now.

Also notice his FT attempts 2.5 for 21 minutes. That is super low for a 7-1 guy--to me that says he doesnt like contact. Seems like a guy who"settles" for plays instead of being aggressive making them.

As a stretch 4 you need to be able to move the ball in the NBA--he hasnt shown that ability in his league--so the mental nuance would have to be trained in if it can be.

Hes going to need multiple MD work ups. If the MDs say he going to be 7-2 230/240 at some point and that his body will be able to handle that weight--thats one things. If the MDs believe that he will stay 200-210 I may pass on that.

RIP Crushalot😞
AUTOADVERT
WaltLongmire
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5843

5/22/2015  2:37 AM
BRIGGS wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:^^ I was surprised when Yi Jianlin was taken where he was. Maybe some kind of Yao Ming effect?

I would like to see him matched against some smaller quicker players, but also have Porsingis work out with some bruisers when he comes in, maybe even guys who are secretly told to rough-house and intimidate him if they can.

Phil is getting the big money to build a winning team, and talent evaluation is THE most important thing for him to excel in at this point.

Ultimately, I just want a player who we can build with, whoever that may be. Just have to trust our talent evaluators.

This would be a lot easier if we were at #1 or #2, but it has been noted before that picking 3 or 4 might be the toughest place to make your choice in this draft.

Nothing to do but wait and listen for the workout rumors and reports that will be coming out at some point.

I guess so.
My red flags are his body type--ectomorphic meaning I don't think he can put on too much more quality weight.(and I think he weighs only around 200 pounds)
He has a tweener awkwardness about him. He doesnt handle or pass the ball. So while he has a nice jumpshot I think his nuances of the game are 1/2 full at best.
Propensity of injury for that body type. Ectomorphic body types tend to injure easily. His bones are simply smaller and how will that effect his muscle joint cartilage etc from constant pounding.

Also notice his FT attempts 2.5 for 21 minutes. That is super low for a 7-1 guy--to me that says he doesnt like contact. Seems like a guy who"settles" for plays instead of being aggressive making them.

As a stretch 4 you need to be able to move the ball in the NBA--he hasnt shown that ability in his league--so the mental nuance would have to be trained in if it can be.

Hes going to need multiple MD work ups. If the MDs say he going to be 7-2 230/240 at some point and that his body will be able to handle that weight--thats one things. If the MDs believe that he will stay 200-210 I may pass on that.

We will just have to see how he measures up in workouts and in other ways.

Says Garnett was someone he admired.

I thought Duncan was going to have strength problems in the NBA, and that was at a time when the game was a bit more rough and tumble. Obviously I was wrong about him, and he came into his first season stronger than he had ever been.

He is still a work in progress, but is already more talented than most young kids his size.

I understand what you mean about the awkwardness, yet there are also moments where he looks pretty impressive for a his age/length.

I've seen some turnaround jumpers which were pretty smooth, and he indicated that he is working on a midrange bank shot for his arsenal.

There are some full games available on YouTube where his team is playing- no highlights clips. I might try to watch them and do a complete look over on his game.

I think he'd have to really impress Jackson to be considered seriously, but who knows.

Jackson took the job and the money- time for him to do his job and prove that he knows more than we do about players.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
callmened
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #4234

5/22/2015  2:41 AM
i know nothing about this kid. lol
Knicks should be improved: win about 40 games and maybe sneak into the playoffs. Melo, Rose and even Noah will have some nice moments however this team should be about PORZINGUS. the sooner they make him the primary player, the better
BRIGGS
5/22/2015  3:16 AM
WaltLongmire wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:

I guess so.

We will just have to see how he measures up in workouts and in other ways.

Says Garnett was someone he admired.

I thought Duncan was going to have strength problems in the NBA, and that was at a time when the game was a bit more rough and tumble. Obviously I was wrong about him, and he came into his first season stronger than he had ever been.

He is still a work in progress, but is already more talented than most young kids his size.

I understand what you mean about the awkwardness, yet there are also moments where he looks pretty impressive for a his age/length.

I've seen some turnaround jumpers which were pretty smooth, and he indicated that he is working on a midrange bank shot for his arsenal.

There are some full games available on YouTube where his team is playing- no highlights clips. I might try to watch them and do a complete look over on his game.

I think he'd have to really impress Jackson to be considered seriously, but who knows.

Jackson took the job and the money- time for him to do his job and prove that he knows more than we do about players.

Despite the majority of voices leaning towards the guards--if I can get my hands on a big with talent--I will almost always go that way. IF Porzinigis can show he has the "potential" to be a big time player in workouts for the Knicks--Id probably pick him over BOTh Russell and Mudiay. Obviously Im not going to see that so its simple guess work and what I hear. But if Phil does see a guy who can play like a combination of Dirk and Garnett--if he feels he will stay healthy and has the passion of a Garnett--then I hope he picks Porzinigis before the guards. If all things are equal go big. Its going to take a while for Mudiay to get his jumpshot down and what I wonder is will Knick fans be patient with it. They are going to believe he can come in and start from day 1 and be a Jason Kidd. That will be one hard act to follow--although Mudaiy will NOT be a bust IMHO. We already have some good guards but we have no one as of now in the frontcourt. I will freely admit and others can see--Porzinigis is NOT the usual big. He is EXTREMELY long and has kind of unique athletic ability for a 7-1 7-2 guy. he has a nice shot but he needs to learn much more. Hes a project too but can he be a project that plays on unit 2 and gives positive play from day 1. That is key--I would want him to play immediately on unit 2 and play hard and well. If Phil does not think he can play--Id pass--thats too much risk.

RIP Crushalot😞
smackeddog
Member: #883
5/22/2015  3:19 AM
BRIGGS wrote:From Scott Howard-Cooper of NBA.com:

Kristaps Porzingis, a smooth-shooting power forward from Latvia, has emerged as a serious threat to break into the top three of the June 25 draft in a potential serious shakeup to the long-held perception the top four spots are set, with some executives at the pre-draft combine here saying Porzingis could go second.

“He could go two,” one general manager said. “He’s that good. Nobody says anything bad about him.”

Said the head of basketball operations for another team: “I think he’s a lock for the top five and I wouldn’t be surprised to see him go as high as top three. He’s good. We all like to do our comparables. He’s like Dirk Nowitzki or Pau Gasol….. I’d take him ahead of (Jahlil) Okafor.”

Porzingis is 7’1″, and averaged 10.7 points, 4.4 rebounds and 1.1 blocked shots in international play this past season, while knocking down 37.9 percent of his shots from three-point distance.

Pray this happens because it would give us a shot at OK4 or Russell or Mudiay. It won't though- no way in hell The Twolves (why go for him when you can have Towns) or Lakers (they need to sell tickets) would take him- it would make zero sense. Maybe the Sixers, but highly unlikely.

It's weird how the Hezonja hype has completely died out

smackeddog
5/22/2015  3:20 AM
I honestly haven't seen much of Porzingis- is Anthony Randolph with the ability to shoot any way close to an accurate comparison?
BRIGGS
5/22/2015  3:42 AM
smackeddog wrote:I honestly haven't seen much of Porzingis- is Anthony Randolph with the ability to shoot any way close to an accurate comparison?

I would say a human preying mantis with a good jumpshot.

RIP Crushalot😞
smackeddog
5/22/2015  5:23 AM
BRIGGS wrote:
smackeddog wrote:I honestly haven't seen much of Porzingis- is Anthony Randolph with the ability to shoot any way close to an accurate comparison?

I would say a human preying mantis with a good jumpshot.

Ha!

Apparently the 76ers were interested in him last year before he pulled out of the draft:

Kristaps Porzingis made himself eligible for the 2014 NBA Draft last April, but made the unconventional decision to pull out at the Early Entry Withdrawal Deadline (ten days before the draft), despite overtures from two teams (rumored to be Atlanta and Philadelphia) picking in the Top-15 to keep his name in

http://www.draftexpress.com/#ixzz3arEfIoVc

WaltLongmire

5/22/2015  2:03 PM
smackeddog wrote:

Kristaps Porzingis, a smooth-shooting power forward from Latvia, has emerged as a serious threat to break into the top three of the June 25 draft in a potential serious shakeup to the long-held perception the top four spots are set, with some executives at the pre-draft combine here saying Porzingis could go second.

“He could go two,” one general manager said. “He’s that good. Nobody says anything bad about him.”

Said the head of basketball operations for another team: “I think he’s a lock for the top five and I wouldn’t be surprised to see him go as high as top three. He’s good. We all like to do our comparables. He’s like Dirk Nowitzki or Pau Gasol….. I’d take him ahead of (Jahlil) Okafor.”

Porzingis is 7’1″, and averaged 10.7 points, 4.4 rebounds and 1.1 blocked shots in international play this past season, while knocking down 37.9 percent of his shots from three-point distance.

Pray this happens because it would give us a shot at OK4 or Russell or Mudiay. It won't though- no way in hell The Twolves (why go for him when you can have Towns) or Lakers (they need to sell tickets) would take him- it would make zero sense. Maybe the Sixers, but highly unlikely.

I thought I heard there was a non-BB issue related to Hezonja, but can't find anything on this.

This comment from the article below is also revealing, IMO:

"They do things differently over there. Coaches over there are like college coaches. They kind of rule with an iron hammer, and once they knew he was leaving for the NBA, his minutes started to shrink."

When I started this thread I didn't think that Porzingis would actually be considered higher than #4.

You never know when a team will fall in love with someone during the workout period, especially foreign players who you've only had your overseas scouts watching. Maybe we end up benefitting, but who knows how OK4 and Towns look in their workouts.

Interesting to see that the Pistons had their coach and GM going over to watch. Would be nice if Fisher had taken a trip. You know Phil would not, and nobody would take Mills seriously if he went there and evaluated them.

This is a recent article dealing with both guys.
European prospects are international men of mystery when it comes to the NBA draft.

Fans can give complete breakdowns of NCAA stars, but their knowledge of foreign players isn't as thorough.

That raises question marks when European players are projected lottery picks, such as Latvian power forward Kristaps Porzingis and Croatian small forward Mario Hezonja.

The Pistons, who likely will have the eighth pick in the June 25 draft, have heavily scouted both, and it's highly possible they could be in play.

ESPN international draft expert Fran Fraschilla had praise for both prospects during a Wednesday teleconference.

He lauded the "tantalizing, long-term potential" of Porzingis, but he saved his most eye-opening analysis for Hezonja.

"He's the only guy in this draft that someday could potentially win either the dunk contest or the three-point contest — or both — because he's a phenomenal athlete," Fraschilla said.

Hezonja, 20, plays for FC Barcelona in the top class of the Spanish league.

At 6-feet-8, he is a tantalizing combination of athleticism and shooting ability.

He averages only 4.7 points and shoots 39.2% from the international three-point distance during all European competition this season.

But Fraschilla, though noting there are maturity concerns, scoffed at looking at Hezonja's statistics.

"He's mercurial, and maturity has been as issue as a young player," Fraschilla said. "Do not go by his statistics in Barcelona.

"They do things differently over there. Coaches over there are like college coaches. They kind of rule with an iron hammer, and once they knew he was leaving for the NBA, his minutes started to shrink."

Porzingis, 19, plays for CB Sevilla of the same league and averages 10.8 points and 4.7 rebounds and shoots 32.4% from three-point range. He offers tremendous size at 7-2, and the ability to knock down three-pointers is enticing for evaluators.

Fraschilla said Porzingis' upside compares favorably with big men Karl-Anthony Towns and Jahlil Okafor.

"He's a couple years away, strength-wise," Fraschilla said. "But I'm telling you he has the same long-term potential range as Towns and Okafor. I just don't think anybody is going to have the guts to take him 1 or 2."

Neither prospect will be at the NBA draft combine in Chicago this week because the Euroleague is still playing.

Pistons president and coach Stan Van Gundy and general manager Jeff Bower took a recent trip to Spain to scout the prospects.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
WaltLongmire

5/22/2015  2:07 PM

Randolph thought he was a 6'11" combo guard, Porzingis is not a "give me the ball and stand back" type of player based on what I've seen of him.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
5/22/2015  2:16 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

I thought I heard there was a non-BB issue related to Hezonja, but can't find anything on this.

This comment from the article below is also revealing, IMO:

When I started this thread I didn't think that Porzingis would actually be considered higher than #4.

You never know when a team will fall in love with someone during the workout period, especially foreign players who you've only had your overseas scouts watching. Maybe we end up benefitting, but who knows how OK4 and Towns look in their workouts.

Interesting to see that the Pistons had their coach and GM going over to watch. Would be nice if Fisher had taken a trip. You know Phil would not, and nobody would take Mills seriously if he went there and evaluated them.

This is a recent article dealing with both guys.
European prospects are international men of mystery when it comes to the NBA draft.

Fans can give complete breakdowns of NCAA stars, but their knowledge of foreign players isn't as thorough.

That raises question marks when European players are projected lottery picks, such as Latvian power forward Kristaps Porzingis and Croatian small forward Mario Hezonja.

The Pistons, who likely will have the eighth pick in the June 25 draft, have heavily scouted both, and it's highly possible they could be in play.

ESPN international draft expert Fran Fraschilla had praise for both prospects during a Wednesday teleconference.

He lauded the "tantalizing, long-term potential" of Porzingis, but he saved his most eye-opening analysis for Hezonja.

"He's the only guy in this draft that someday could potentially win either the dunk contest or the three-point contest — or both — because he's a phenomenal athlete," Fraschilla said.

Hezonja, 20, plays for FC Barcelona in the top class of the Spanish league.

At 6-feet-8, he is a tantalizing combination of athleticism and shooting ability.

He averages only 4.7 points and shoots 39.2% from the international three-point distance during all European competition this season.

But Fraschilla, though noting there are maturity concerns, scoffed at looking at Hezonja's statistics.

"He's mercurial, and maturity has been as issue as a young player," Fraschilla said. "Do not go by his statistics in Barcelona.

Porzingis, 19, plays for CB Sevilla of the same league and averages 10.8 points and 4.7 rebounds and shoots 32.4% from three-point range. He offers tremendous size at 7-2, and the ability to knock down three-pointers is enticing for evaluators.

Fraschilla said Porzingis' upside compares favorably with big men Karl-Anthony Towns and Jahlil Okafor.

"He's a couple years away, strength-wise," Fraschilla said. "But I'm telling you he has the same long-term potential range as Towns and Okafor. I just don't think anybody is going to have the guts to take him 1 or 2."

Neither prospect will be at the NBA draft combine in Chicago this week because the Euroleague is still playing.

Pistons president and coach Stan Van Gundy and general manager Jeff Bower took a recent trip to Spain to scout the prospects.

Their coach is also their team president. But I would expect Van Gundy to be thorough. Phil not going maybe because he didn't think he would be picking fourth.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
WaltLongmire

5/22/2015  7:41 PM
Hate to be looking at bodies, but with this kid that is important.

Photo from a couple of days ago...his team is still playing. They might have just won a game. He's to the left of the guy who seems to be a midget. Seems to have some chest muscles...VERY thin waist, almost like a swimmer.

There is also a video on his Twitter feed that this still came from, but the quality is poor.

Not sure when he will be over for workouts, and obviously, he is not spending his time working out in the weight room.

Did read something about him working on a midrange bank shot this year with one of the coaches he works with.

FistOfOakley
Member: #3075

5/22/2015  7:59 PM
he doesn't grab boards to be a PF and he doesn't handle the ball well enough to be a SF.... he's bench fodder.... absolutely stupifying how he's been hyped for the lotto...
WaltLongmire

5/22/2015  8:18 PM
FistOfOakley wrote:he doesn't grab boards to be a PF and he doesn't handle the ball well enough to be a SF.... he's bench fodder.... absolutely stupifying how he's been hyped for the lotto...

http://hoopshype.com/rumors/tag/kristaps_porzingis

If you look at some of the scouting reports and comments coming from all over the place, you have to wonder if he will even be around when we pick.

What about Minnesota taking him, not only because of his ability and upside, but because guys like Towns and OK4 might not want to be there, and will jump as soon as they can.

Stranger things have happened, and it would mean people would get one of the American players they are clearly more comfortable with.

WaltLongmire

5/22/2015  11:42 PM
I actually like a lot of the guys we have a chance to draft, but figured I'd "champion" a player that I knew most folks would overlook.

Just saw this on the ESPN site. I don't even know the analyst, but besides Fraschilla, he is now the second analyst I've read who indicates the Knicks should take Porzingis. Some of his analysis is also based on the offense we run... which I am sure will get some folks annoyed.

NBA Insider Kevin Pelton sees European power forward Kristaps Porzingis as a better fit for the Knicks than Mudiay.

Writes Pelton: "Having succeeded against far tougher competition in Spain, (Porzingis) figures to have more immediate impact, and he's only seven months older than Mudiay. Also, I have some concerns about how well Mudiay -- a poor shooter whose best attribute will probably be running the pick-and-roll -- will fit in the triangle offense. There's flexibility there, but a pick-and-roll-heavy style isn't what Phil Jackson and Derek Fisher ideally want to play. I would take Porzingis."

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
5/23/2015  1:01 AM
One thing Phil said about the pick is that he doesn't expect the pick to be immediately ready to be a force. He said he'd be fine with having the kid on the team developing rather than having a lead role. Sounds to me like he's looking for BPA in terms of upside. He wants a pick that can turn into something big for the franchise. That could open the door for a pick like Kris P.

Phil isn't necessarily looking for a player that has to come in and contribute on a high level day one. That's why he's said he's looking at Free Agency to build the team as opposed to the pick necessarily being an immediate driving force. I think Phil would have the courage to take Kris P. if he was the best talent on the board at #4 and there was not a good enough trade to be made.

WaltLongmire

5/23/2015  8:48 AM
nixluva wrote:One thing Phil said about the pick is that he doesn't expect the pick to be immediately ready to be a force. He said he'd be fine with having the kid on the team developing rather than having a lead role. Sounds to me like he's looking for BPA in terms of upside. He wants a pick that can turn into something big for the franchise. That could open the door for a pick like Kris P.

Phil isn't necessarily looking for a player that has to come in and contribute on a high level day one. That's why he's said he's looking at Free Agency to build the team as opposed to the pick necessarily being an immediate driving force. I think Phil would have the courage to take Kris P. if he was the best talent on the board at #4 and there was not a good enough trade to be made.

Should I assume that the Knicks have someone over there watching them play now?

I could actually imagine Minnesota taking a serious look at him, though it would take real balls to pick him at #1, even if they like him a lot.

If they were to do that and stun most fans, you would then expect OK4 to be available when we pick.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
5/23/2015  10:12 AM
WaltLongmire wrote:
nixluva wrote:One thing Phil said about the pick is that he doesn't expect the pick to be immediately ready to be a force. He said he'd be fine with having the kid on the team developing rather than having a lead role. Sounds to me like he's looking for BPA in terms of upside. He wants a pick that can turn into something big for the franchise. That could open the door for a pick like Kris P.

Should I assume that the Knicks have someone over there watching them play now?

I could actually imagine Minnesota taking a serious look at him, though it would take real balls to pick him at #1, even if they like him a lot.

If they were to do that and stun most fans, you would then expect OK4 to be available when we pick.

I would think they would be. Kevin Wison is the guy I always hear mentioned for the Knicks when it comes to international scouting. He is the guy that scouted Moz, Prigs and Copeland. My guess is he would be scouting Porzingis.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
5/23/2015  10:26 AM
I hope the Sixers or Lakers take this guy. Not us.
¿ △ ?
EwingsGlass
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #893
USA
5/23/2015  10:43 AM
I get the sense that teams willing to draft Euros need to be able to let them develop in Europe. I do not think we have that luxury this year. So while it can be great to let players develop without blowing through their rookie scale contract, we genuinely need a starter out of this draft.
This is the Randle.
The Case for Porzingis.

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy