Author Thread
NumberTwoPencil
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #481
USA
4/24/2015  1:01 AM
"He reminds me of Brad Daughtery."

I agree too.

And that's fine and I'd pick Okafor. Daughtery averaged 9.5/19 in his eight NBA years. That works.

AUTOADVERT
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
4/24/2015  10:01 AM
BRIGGS wrote:
blkexec wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
JrZyHuStLa wrote:Tim Duncan has a jumpshot.

I don't see it.

He's got a nice little bank shot around 10-12 feet--I think that is one thing he mightve taken from watching Duncan. I think that people who make comments that imply this is a finished product are missing the boat with this guy. Karl Malone didnt shoot well from the FT line until he was 24 and he played 3 full years at Ls tech. I don't know if it was on this iste or somewhere else--the bottom line is you're getting the upper tier players at 19 with year of experience. While Okafor is going to help an NBA right away--the finished product(if he keeps his body right) wont be around for 3 full years. Thats not to say he can avg 16-20 points in one of his first 3 years--maybe even right away--we wont know but his FT shooting and his mid range J will have a lot of time to be improved.

For every Malone....theres 50 different PF that never improved every single skill set. So we cant be so optimistic and think he will get better over his career. Shaq improved....but he was still well below the average big.

OK4 will improve....but the question that even he cant answer is what will he improve on? It depends on the coach and system. All we can do is speculate....Thats why Phil rather use FAs to build the team.....If the rookie catches up great....if not oh well. It shouldnt make or break us.

This is a guy who avg 18-9 and shot 67% on the championship team in college basketball. To put that in perspective--no one else has ever done that. I wouldnt compare him to 50 other guys.

this is the perspective a lot of people lose. That and simply what a good basketball player he is.

To me there are two golden questions with NBA prospects coming from the NCAA.
1) Did that player dominate his level of competition?
2) Did that players dominate using skill, physical attributes or a combo of both?

A great example is Frank Kaminsky. Totally dominate college player, but the answer to question #2 is skill not both. Frank doesnt kill you with size and athleticism. Those are well below the NBA average. He dominates with skill and thats why he's ranked 16 (nbadraft) and 10 (draft express) despite being one of the best CBB players in the country.

OK4 gives you both. His skills put him in the perfect position and he showed that when he played hurt and had no legs that he was still super effective, however when needed Jah was also able to exert his physical will on the opponent as well. Towns has a smaller sample size of this, but certainly fits into the same category

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
dk7th
Member: #4228
USA
4/24/2015  12:20 PM
no top pick is a sure thing. see oden and beasley.
knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
misterearl
Member: #799
USA
4/24/2015  12:28 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/24/2015  12:30 PM
Say what?

VMart - Duncan and Okafor are two different people. Fashioning a similarity between a seasoned veteran and a 19 year old freshman, based on some perceived similarity, is not only unfair to the young man, but trivailizes what Tim Duncan has achieved.

Two different people.

once a knick always a knick
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
4/24/2015  12:37 PM
misterearl wrote:Say what?

VMart - Duncan and Okafor are two different people. Fashioning a similarity between a seasoned veteran and a 19 year old freshman, based on some perceived similarity, is not only unfair to the young man, but trivailizes what Tim Duncan has achieved.

Two different people.

I think what he was trying to say was--Okafor is a good shot maker in a 10 foot radius from the basket. This particular game Duncan made a lot of shots in the same radius. It was kind of comparing his potential offensive output from the 4 position in that same radius and how it might help a team.

RIP Crushalot😞
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
4/24/2015  12:59 PM
BRIGGS wrote:

Two different people.

I think what he was trying to say was--Okafor is a good shot maker in a 10 foot radius from the basket. This particular game Duncan made a lot of shots in the same radius. It was kind of comparing his potential offensive output from the 4 position in that same radius and how it might help a team.

Yeah that's how I took it as well. Duncan was a machine in the paint last game. Tons of sweet short shots in close range.

Please excuse the song on this video. I just lowered the volume.

misterearl
Member: #799
USA
4/24/2015  3:12 PM
BRIGGS - The Answer Man despises when someone tries to speak for someone else.

Okafor is not Tim Duncan.

Dude has not played a single professional basketball game in his life.

once a knick always a knick
fishmike
USA
4/24/2015  3:54 PM
misterearl wrote:BRIGGS - The Answer Man despises when someone tries to speak for someone else.

I think he's saying he just agrees with the point.
nixluva
USA
4/24/2015  4:03 PM
fishmike wrote:
misterearl wrote:BRIGGS - The Answer Man despises when someone tries to speak for someone else.

It's funny that this kid is actually patterning his game on Duncan, down to the bank shots and people still resist the idea that he has similar qualities. NO ONE is saying he's exactly as great as Tim Duncan which no one can know, but he's clearly a very similar type of big in many ways. Of course he's also very similar to Al Jefferson, but I think as he develops OK4 will be closer to Duncan in terms of his versatility. We have to remember how young OK4 is and how much more he can grow from this point.
fishmike
USA
4/24/2015  4:09 PM
nixluva wrote:
fishmike wrote:

It's funny that this kid is actually patterning his game on Duncan, down to the bank shots and people still resist the idea that he has similar qualities. NO ONE is saying he's exactly as great as Tim Duncan which no one can know, but he's clearly a very similar type of big in many ways. Of course he's also very similar to Al Jefferson, but I think as he develops OK4 will be closer to Duncan in terms of his versatility. We have to remember how young OK4 is and how much more he can grow from this point.
He's been practicing Duncan's moves and footwork since the 8th grade
nixluva
USA
4/24/2015  4:35 PM
fishmike wrote:
nixluva wrote:
fishmike wrote:

Yeah, that's why I posted the videos cuz you can see OK4 doing some of Duncan's moves. It's just silly when it's self evident by what the Kid says and how he plays. I like how his team can play thru him since he's such a good passer out of the post. His ability to handle the ball and move is very high. It's amazing how he's able to handle the ball and even drive around his defender at times. His smoothness and touch around the basket is also amazing. If he can extend his range a bit and hit his FT's he'll be a perennial All Star IMO.
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
4/24/2015  5:07 PM
nixluva wrote:
fishmike wrote:
nixluva wrote:
fishmike wrote:

Yeah, that's why I posted the videos cuz you can see OK4 doing some of Duncan's moves. It's just silly when it's self evident by what the Kid says and how he plays. I like how his team can play thru him since he's such a good passer out of the post. His ability to handle the ball and move is very high. It's amazing how he's able to handle the ball and even drive around his defender at times. His smoothness and touch around the basket is also amazing. If he can extend his range a bit and hit his FT's he'll be a perennial All Star IMO.
David Robinson got to see him play and told Okafor that he reminded him of Duncan. I think that is quite an endorsement.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

4/24/2015  5:15 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
nixluva wrote:
fishmike wrote:
nixluva wrote:
fishmike wrote:

David Robinson got to see him play and told Okafor that he reminded him of Duncan. I think that is quite an endorsement.

Yeah, but what does David Robinson. He played during a time when Phil coached the triangle offense, point guards were expected to be distributors first and coached preached taking the open midrange J. The game has obviously passed him by
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Vmart
Member: #247
USA
4/25/2015  10:19 AM

Two different people.

Misterearl, I know they are two different people one is a Hall of Fame player and the other has no NBA experience. There was a time when Duncan was that. He earned his status with his game and displaying that he didn't necessarily have to be a three point shooting big man. He made his living by playing in his elements. While others here have fallen in love with stretch 4 terminology or a center that can step out and shoot the ball. I would rather a player in the mold of Duncan, Hakeem, Robinson, Shaq. Doing what they do best around the basket. I find more value in that than any stretch anything. The last thing this team needs is a player who has difficulty in defining his role. I say role because a lot of big men have come who can shoot it from distance but real effective one are the ones that play near and around the basket. Simply put you don't ask Kareem to take mid range jumpers.

I might have been the few who didn't know the difference between Michael Jackson and Janet Jackson. But do know what you are say and I acknowledge that Okafor is no Duncan. But you can not deny that there are similarities in their games. Just as Kobe modeling his game after Jordan. I see Okafor modeling his game after Duncan. Now I'm no fool to think that just because someone models their game after someone it doesn't make them as good or better. Modeling a game after a HOF player even you must agree is a good start.

Duncan just showed why Okafor

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy