[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Great article about Rondo and his psyche (who knew how smart this guy was)
Author Thread
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
4/23/2015  1:33 PM
He was an ******* in Boston, and even more in Dallas.
AUTOADVERT
Red
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6016

4/23/2015  3:20 PM
A google search brought me the surprising fact that there have been 40 player-coaches in NBA history. The last was Dave Cowens with the Celtics 1978-79. I had been thinking it was the only role he could have where he wouldn't be infuriating his coach on a nightly basis. Playing for him might be a challenge for many.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
4/23/2015  3:35 PM
crzymdups wrote:The Triangle is about feeling the game, reading the possibilities in the system. That's what Rondo is a genius at. I think he could be great here.

But he probably needs a leader like KG to keep him in check and we don't have that.

It's a shame. I think with the right mix, Rondo could absolutely be a championship point guard in the Triangle. He's tough as nails, smart as hell.

I'd be happy if the Knicks got him.

Melo and Kobe both covet playing with the guy. I'd trust Kobe's read more than almost anyone else in the league.

"He knows all the plays, knows all the actions and can think two, three moves ahead. He's freakishly smart."
-- Lakers guard Kobe Bryant, who faced Rondo twice in the Finals and whose public breakfast with Rondo in December fueled speculation he's recruiting Rondo to come to LA next season
This is exactly how I *feel*

I also *feel* like every bet I place on a horse is going to win. I *try* to be more realistic. I totally hear you I do. But there is a trail of debris behind Rondo, and an army of people will to puplicly say what a miserable human this guy is to work with on a daily basis.

Tough one.. certainly Phil dealt with equally challenging personalities, and people skills is the one thing I think most wouldnt argue that Fisher brings to the table. It should be interesting. The best scenario is we land a big fish that eats up enough cap space forcing us to offer Rondo the rest, and he takes it.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
4/23/2015  3:56 PM
I can't imagine Rondo as a coach - I think that'd be a nightmare.

He played against Fisher... maybe he'd respect that? Who frickin' knows though.

I would not give Rondo the max. I'd offer him a two year deal for $20M with an opt out after one. That way if he plays up to his potential, he can cash in in 2016 when the cap goes up.

That would leave the Knicks about $16-20M to play with for other FA, depending on who you listen to, re: cap numbers.

It's one way to go - there are lots of ways to build the team. I would be curious about the Rondo option, but I know it is not the safest route. There are safer ways to go, but they have less upside in some scenarios.

¿ △ ?
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

4/23/2015  3:59 PM
Nalod wrote:He was an ******* in Boston, and even more in Dallas.

An a**hole with a ring...it seems as if you need a coiuple of a** holes on your team to get a ring. Just take a look at past champions...

Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

4/23/2015  4:01 PM
crzymdups wrote:The Triangle is about feeling the game, reading the possibilities in the system. That's what Rondo is a genius at. I think he could be great here.

But he probably needs a leader like KG to keep him in check and we don't have that.

It's a shame. I think with the right mix, Rondo could absolutely be a championship point guard in the Triangle. He's tough as nails, smart as hell.

Melo and Kobe both covet playing with the guy. I'd trust Kobe's read more than almost anyone else in the league.

"He knows all the plays, knows all the actions and can think two, three moves ahead. He's freakishly smart."
-- Lakers guard Kobe Bryant, who faced Rondo twice in the Finals and whose public breakfast with Rondo in December fueled speculation he's recruiting Rondo to come to LA next season

Agreed....He's the type of player you give the ball to nd let him run the show, for the most part. The Triangle offense, as was mentioned earlier, is more read and react. Also, Rondo doesn;t strike me as the type that would defer to Melo all the time either.....

crzymdups
USA
4/23/2015  4:05 PM
Uptown wrote:

Agreed....He's the type of player you give the ball to nd let him run the show, for the most part. The Triangle offense, as was mentioned earlier, is more read and react. Also, Rondo doesn;t strike me as the type that would defer to Melo all the time either.....

Agreed. And, frankly, I think Melo WANTS that from his PG. He wants to play with Rondo badly and is supposedly going to try to recruit him.

¿ △ ?
knicks1248
Member: #582
4/23/2015  4:22 PM
"Rick and Jason used to get into it about the exact same thing except Jason's demeanor was so quiet that a lot of times people didn't know that they were arguing. They had an argument on the bench with four-letter words going back and forth, but no one knew because of Jason's demeanor."

Former Mavs center Brendan Haywood

ES
yellowboy90
Member: #3538

4/23/2015  7:27 PM
Condo would shrink the spacing the triangle tries to create. Plus, he is no longer a plus defender, I believe Rondo even admitted that he had to start trying on D before he got to Dal.

He Qantas too much money and I think the game has passed him by. I do wonder if Rondo goes to LA and Love opt out would he still consider LA with Rondo and Bryant. He left Rubio who is Rondo-like.

crzymdups
USA
4/23/2015  7:37 PM
comparing Rubio and Rondo... I mean, Marco Rubio has almost as much in common with Rondo as Ricky Rubio does.

I mean, yeah, I guess it's truly amazing the Celtics were one of the best teams in the league with Rondo being negative space and a complete zero of space at point guard. It's hard to compete when your point guard literally sucks in space and shrinks the floor, but somehow, someway the Celtics managed to pull it out with Rondo absorbing so much space.

¿ △ ?
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

4/23/2015  8:48 PM
The second Rondo stops buying in its season over. Doubt he would listen to anyone on the Knicks, including Phil.
knicks1248
4/23/2015  8:56 PM
rondo is still better then any pg the knicks have had in a decade plus. Plus i dont think any FA is signing a contract for more then a season or 2
ES
NumberTwoPencil
Member: #481
USA
4/24/2015  12:23 AM
I think Rondo's a head case but even with this limitations, he's a fine PG. He works best in certain systems with certain players, yes, but he's still pretty good in the wrong situations. His head problems, however, seem to limit him to perfect situations . . . which he's going to have a harder time finding now.
joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
4/24/2015  4:00 AM
This is the second article I remember ESPN did about Rondo and his attitude. The first I think was around the tine he signed his first extension in Boston. Both times I love everything about this guy except his shooting and his free throws.
~You can't run from who you are.~
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
4/24/2015  11:21 AM
A fool can be defined as someone who's deficient in something other than intelligence.

If Rondo's so "freakishly" smart, why hasn't he discovered the ability to not be such an a-hole to others who aren't as smart as he is? It reads like he's been handled to allow for his incredible brilliance since grade school. Unfortunately, they (family, school, whoever) missed something (or he did) in forming his personality.

You can be a smart fool.

Please pass on this whole idea, Phil.

knicks1248
4/24/2015  12:26 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/24/2015  12:27 PM
jrodmc wrote:A fool can be defined as someone who's deficient in something other than intelligence.

If Rondo's so "freakishly" smart, why hasn't he discovered the ability to not be such an a-hole to others who aren't as smart as he is? It reads like he's been handled to allow for his incredible brilliance since grade school. Unfortunately, they (family, school, whoever) missed something (or he did) in forming his personality.

You can be a smart fool.

It's just a matter of being in a position where he's a good fit, and has the right type of VETS around him. Carlisle is a control freak, and has had many issues with his PG's in the pass, he didn't walk away from the pacers, he was fired. He won a championship in Dallas mainly because KIDD said F U , i'll do what i see fits.

Rondo may be a bit of a head case, but he gets the job done, just like RODMAN.

When fisher's game plan becomes super predictable, you want a pg that can create, not some guy who's going to stick to a game plan no matter what and lose by 20.

ES
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
4/24/2015  1:44 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
jrodmc wrote:A fool can be defined as someone who's deficient in something other than intelligence.

You can be a smart fool.

It's just a matter of being in a position where he's a good fit, and has the right type of VETS around him. Carlisle is a control freak, and has had many issues with his PG's in the pass, he didn't walk away from the pacers, he was fired. He won a championship in Dallas mainly because KIDD said F U , i'll do what i see fits.

When fisher's game plan becomes super predictable, you want a pg that can create, not some guy who's going to stick to a game plan no matter what and lose by 20.

Carlisle was also sent packing from Det and Larry Brown won a title and went to b2b finals with essentially the same team.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
4/24/2015  2:44 PM
knicks1248 wrote:

You can be a smart fool.

So all he needs is two or three superstars, with one of them able to bitch slap him when he needs it, a coach who can tolerate being constantly outguessed and outdone just for the sake of being shown up as a mental exercise, and an incredible backup who's just as smart as Rondo is, for when he's hurt. Which is alot.

I want a PG who can defend, hit shots when needed, and can always create for others without the "mercurial, head case, freakishly smart" stuff. You can save those qualities for the next Avengers movie.

knicks1248
4/24/2015  3:41 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/24/2015  3:42 PM
jrodmc wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

You can be a smart fool.

So all he needs is two or three superstars, with one of them able to bitch slap him when he needs it, a coach who can tolerate being constantly outguessed and outdone just for the sake of being shown up as a mental exercise, and an incredible backup who's just as smart as Rondo is, for when he's hurt. Which is alot.

I want a PG who can defend, hit shots when needed, and can always create for others without the "mercurial, head case, freakishly smart" stuff. You can save those qualities for the next Avengers movie.

At the end of the day our options will be limited, because there isn't a whole lot of options out there to begin with, and remember we got felton as a last resort. If we don't draft a PG, will be stuck with another 3rd sting pg's starting for us.

ES
dk7th
Member: #4228
USA
4/25/2015  7:30 PM
mreinman wrote:Posted by Red in another thread but I thought that this article was so great and insightful that it needed its own post

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/12587848/old-questions-surface-new-dallas-mavericks-point-guard-rajon-rondo

good read. he probably felt isolated at an early age for being a genius, and because of that became quite anxious. for all his brilliance he seems emotionally stunted and likely quite lonely. paradoxically, he maintains a sense of self by being an intellectual bully of sorts, which maintains the isolated condition he is familiar with by alienating others.

i'd love to see him as a knick so he could receive some zen treatment. maybe not an ideal fit in the triangle but at least in new york city he could find many more intellectual peers.

knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
Great article about Rondo and his psyche (who knew how smart this guy was)

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy