I could see Aldridge coming here
Author Thread
mreinman
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3189

4/21/2015  10:24 AM
knickscity wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
Just out of interest, who do you prefer Kevin Love or Aldridge?

i actually prefer Love, but he hasnt looked too good this season.

He has not looked AS good as last season but he has actually had a very good / productive season.

so here is what phil is thinking ....
AUTOADVERT
NardDogNation
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #5555

4/21/2015  5:42 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/21/2015  6:04 PM
RonRon wrote:LA excels in the MID RANGE, which is a skill that is needed in the Triangle
He shoots the mid range effectively but has the ability to score effecitvely in the post, while shooting a near 50% for majority of his career, while adding 3pt range this year as well
In today's game, having the ability to stretch the floor is much needed in order to allow penetration to be an easy option for high % shot's as a weapon or leading to wide open shots

We must remember, he opted to NOT have surgery and is playing with an injury for the better of the team
While he is also a solid rebounding and decent shot blocker, his SHOT simply CANNOT be defended because of his high release point and size/length

Problem is, LA is ALL STAR caliber at OFFENSE but isn't a leader that Lilliard provided as a young rookie
So if we are do sign LA in FA thi summer, we could sign Ajincia or draft Towns/OK4 who I both believe will be closer to Center's than PF's for their careers

CA
LA
Ajincia/Towns

could all form a triangle together as all are able to play inside and out, as long as the other 2 players can shoot, as they will also have the lanes to penetrate effetively

CA
LA or Brook Lopez
Russell or Mudiay Marion Henzjoa/Justice Winslow

PG , PG/SG, SG, G/F like Danny Green/Wesley Matthewws along with Thanasis/Wesley Johnson/Gereld Green, a F like Carroll

Ajincia

Thanasis on opponents PG's with Danny Green/Wesley Matthewws/Caroll acquired with a 6m MLE or dividing it for multiple players with a small portion 1 rookie contract *like THanasiss* and 2 other solid role at aout 2-3m per year after raises on multi year deals like Gereld Green/Wesley Johnson/Derrick Williams *using Evan Turner's contract to justify the payroll or like Sessions - Bayless
Russell SG/PG, as he develops to a Curry type role, when playing PG, Russell could also learn to initiate the OFFENSE through the POST at his size/skills

CA
LA or Millsap

Ajinicia

I'd either trade down for D'Angelo Russell or draft him outright.

And why couldn't we sign both LaMarcus Aldridge and Greg Monroe, then throw our mini-mid level exception at Alexis Ajinca? With that kind of length at the forward/center spots, I think we'd successfully eliminate our defensive and rebounding issues, while still maintaining a good amount of floor spacing. Doing so leaves little room to improve our backcourt but I'm more than content with bringing back our current guys (Galloway, Shved, Thansis and Ledo) on minimum deals. And with THJr as well as Calderon under contract, I'd be more than content with rolling into the season with that and whatever D-league finds we'd uncover.

STARTERS
D'Angelo Russell...PG
Langston Galloway...SG
Carmelo Anthony...SF
LaMarcus Aldridge...PF
Greg Monroe...C

ROTATION
Jose Calderon...PG
Alexy Shved...G
Lance Thomas...SF
Louis Amundson...PF
Alexis Ajinca...C

NardDogNation
Member: #5555

4/21/2015  6:47 PM
NardDogNation wrote:
RonRon wrote:LA excels in the MID RANGE, which is a skill that is needed in the Triangle
He shoots the mid range effectively but has the ability to score effecitvely in the post, while shooting a near 50% for majority of his career, while adding 3pt range this year as well
In today's game, having the ability to stretch the floor is much needed in order to allow penetration to be an easy option for high % shot's as a weapon or leading to wide open shots

We must remember, he opted to NOT have surgery and is playing with an injury for the better of the team
While he is also a solid rebounding and decent shot blocker, his SHOT simply CANNOT be defended because of his high release point and size/length

Problem is, LA is ALL STAR caliber at OFFENSE but isn't a leader that Lilliard provided as a young rookie
So if we are do sign LA in FA thi summer, we could sign Ajincia or draft Towns/OK4 who I both believe will be closer to Center's than PF's for their careers

CA
LA
Ajincia/Towns

could all form a triangle together as all are able to play inside and out, as long as the other 2 players can shoot, as they will also have the lanes to penetrate effetively

CA
LA or Brook Lopez
Russell or Mudiay Marion Henzjoa/Justice Winslow

PG , PG/SG, SG, G/F like Danny Green/Wesley Matthewws along with Thanasis/Wesley Johnson/Gereld Green, a F like Carroll

Ajincia

Thanasis on opponents PG's with Danny Green/Wesley Matthewws/Caroll acquired with a 6m MLE or dividing it for multiple players with a small portion 1 rookie contract *like THanasiss* and 2 other solid role at aout 2-3m per year after raises on multi year deals like Gereld Green/Wesley Johnson/Derrick Williams *using Evan Turner's contract to justify the payroll or like Sessions - Bayless
Russell SG/PG, as he develops to a Curry type role, when playing PG, Russell could also learn to initiate the OFFENSE through the POST at his size/skills

CA
LA or Millsap

Ajinicia

I'd either trade down for D'Angelo Russell or draft him outright.

And why couldn't we sign both LaMarcus Aldridge and Greg Monroe, then throw our mini-mid level exception at Alexis Ajinca? With that kind of length at the forward/center spots, I think we'd successfully eliminate our defensive and rebounding issues, while still maintaining a good amount of floor spacing. Doing so leaves little room to improve our backcourt but I'm more than content with bringing back our current guys (Galloway, Shved, Thansis and Ledo) on minimum deals. And with THJr as well as Calderon under contract, I'd be more than content with rolling into the season with that and whatever D-league finds we'd uncover.

STARTERS
D'Angelo Russell...PG
Langston Galloway...SG
Carmelo Anthony...SF
LaMarcus Aldridge...PF
Greg Monroe...C

ROTATION
Jose Calderon...PG
Alexy Shved...G
Lance Thomas...SF
Louis Amundson...PF
Alexis Ajinca...C

I know many of you will question me on the numbers BUT I think that this team would be feasible with a little finagling of the payroll. LaMarcus' first year salary at max should start at $17 million, right? That should leave approximately $9.5 million in cap space left, if you're using the figure provided by the NY Post. That isn't enough money to sign Greg Monroe outright but it is definitely ball park for his max. If we find a third team willing to absorb THJr and Cleanthony Early's $2 million salaries for 2nd rounders, I could see the Pistons agreeing to sign-and-trade him at max for those picks and $3 million. Second rounders and cash incentives might not sound like much for Monroe but I think that Van Gundy is more interested in pursuing Draymomd Green at max anyway and those "assets" at least give him tools to help in that pursuit.

Once over the cap, I'd use the $3.5-$4 million exception to lock up Alexis Ajinca; then sign all our stragglers to minimum deals. If I'm not mistaken, we'd have our lower-level exception as well, right? I'd probably give that to the hardest working man on Broadway, Louis Amundson. The reality is that he probably deserves more but likely won't get it at his age.

OasisBU
Member: #257
USA
4/22/2015  7:30 AM
holfresh wrote:I'm not sure if big name free agents will look at the Knicks as a destination to win now...The role players are an important piece to a puzzle when building a team..I'm not sure if we can say we have the right role players in place to attract a big name..It's not easy to get such players which is why Cleveland paid two first round picks to get Moz...It was absolutely dumb luck that they landed JR and Shump..

But as a duo, Melo and Aldridge can work well together in Phil's system..

Didn't Miami fill out most of its role players after the big 3 signed and with little cap room?

I think we would be fine, just need to get some top talent to sign and a good pick. The role players will come b

"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
4/22/2015  8:18 AM
OasisBU wrote:
holfresh wrote:I'm not sure if big name free agents will look at the Knicks as a destination to win now...The role players are an important piece to a puzzle when building a team..I'm not sure if we can say we have the right role players in place to attract a big name..It's not easy to get such players which is why Cleveland paid two first round picks to get Moz...It was absolutely dumb luck that they landed JR and Shump..

Didn't Miami fill out most of its role players after the big 3 signed and with little cap room?

I think we would be fine, just need to get some top talent to sign and a good pick. The role players will come b

Yea.. Miami had like Wade and a blank slate. They maxed out Lebron/Bosh and were left with nothing but min type contracts to give out. Somehow I remember them adding Mike Miller with an MLE type deal but Im not quite sure how they were able to do that.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
dk7th
Member: #4228
USA
4/22/2015  8:31 AM
where is the leadership coming from on this team? you can accrue talent, even talent that fits, but without leaders the knicks are not going to reach their potential, whatever one conceives that to be. it's been an ongoing issue for the last couple of seasons.
knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

4/22/2015  8:50 AM
we should've just drafted him
Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
fishmike
USA
4/22/2015  9:19 AM
SupremeCommander wrote:we should've just drafted him
lol... yea well 8 years later we are still sifting through Isiah's bad deals.

At first I didnt want any of the 30 year old max guys. We have one of those already, but this team and roster is going to be pretty young, and you need balance. Aldridge or Gasol for 4 years makes sense. You need pros who know how to win. Melo alone isnt enough. The draft pick is going to a 20 year old kid, or even 19 if its Russell. Galloway is young and he's a rotation guy. Shved, Thanisis, Early, whoever comes back is going to be young. There will be a couple very good seniors who go undrafted and will be good role players in the NBA. Young.

We need a balance.

dk7th
USA
4/22/2015  9:28 AM
fishmike wrote:

At first I didnt want any of the 30 year old max guys. We have one of those already, but this team and roster is going to be pretty young, and you need balance. Aldridge or Gasol for 4 years makes sense. You need pros who know how to win. Melo alone isnt enough. The draft pick is going to a 20 year old kid, or even 19 if its Russell. Galloway is young and he's a rotation guy. Shved, Thanisis, Early, whoever comes back is going to be young. There will be a couple very good seniors who go undrafted and will be good role players in the NBA. Young.

We need a balance.

knicks need leadership. gasol is likely a leader but slim and none he comes here. not all veterans are leaders.

knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
fishmike
USA
4/22/2015  9:38 AM
dk7th wrote:
fishmike wrote:

We need a balance.

knicks need leadership. gasol is likely a leader but slim and none he comes here. not all veterans are leaders.

who was the leader when they won 54 games? I know you didnt bother watching much of that "fools gold" but they did win 50+, the division and advanced. Jason Kidd right TFK?

There are many types of leaders and leadership, and some players follow some types and not others. What they need first and foremost is better play and better players. Who is the leader that took Atl from .500 and the 8th seed to the top of the East? Leadership is a barely tangible avenue for you to redirect any discussion into Melo's shortcomings. When the play improves and the roster is balanced the leadership will emerge. Its that simple.

mreinman
Member: #3189

4/22/2015  10:02 AM
fishmike wrote:
dk7th wrote:
fishmike wrote:

We need a balance.

who was the leader when they won 54 games? I know you didnt bother watching much of that "fools gold" but they did win 50+, the division and advanced. Jason Kidd right TFK?

There are many types of leaders and leadership, and some players follow some types and not others. What they need first and foremost is better play and better players. Who is the leader that took Atl from .500 and the 8th seed to the top of the East? Leadership is a barely tangible avenue for you to redirect any discussion into Melo's shortcomings. When the play improves and the roster is balanced the leadership will emerge. Its that simple.

Billups was the leader that helped Denver get to the next level

And yes, kidd was the leader when NY was playing unstoppable ball. He was also the leader that pulled them down.

Melo is not a leader. If he is hot we win. If not were screwed. When Melo will start being effective even when he shot is off then he can start becoming a leader. When Melo makes plays to create shots for others, thats leading.

Phil needs to make this happen and he knows that it aint easy

so here is what phil is thinking ....
crzymdups
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #671
USA
4/22/2015  10:22 AM
fishmike wrote:
OasisBU wrote:

Yea.. Miami had like Wade and a blank slate. They maxed out Lebron/Bosh and were left with nothing but min type contracts to give out. Somehow I remember them adding Mike Miller with an MLE type deal but Im not quite sure how they were able to do that.

Once you get to the cap or go slightly over it, but stay below the "apron" you get a mid-level exception.

Though with the cap rising again in 2016 and 2017, I doubt Phil will use a mid-level - I think he'll try to keep that $20M in space for 2016 and maybe 2017 as well.

That's the thing - if the Knicks can build a really good foundation this summer they can actually get to the point where signing one marquee FA in 2016 and 2017 makes them contenders. But Melo by then will be probably quite similar to Wade - not the player he once was.

¿ △ ?
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
4/22/2015  10:27 AM
mreinman wrote:

Billups was the leader that helped Denver get to the next level

And yes, kidd was the leader when NY was playing unstoppable ball. He was also the leader that pulled them down.

Melo is not a leader. If he is hot we win. If not were screwed. When Melo will start being effective even when he shot is off then he can start becoming a leader. When Melo makes plays to create shots for others, thats leading.

Phil needs to make this happen and he knows that it aint easy

Agree completely with this Melo summary. He's a great great shooter. When he's on, he's a great player. But he's not a leader and never has been.

¿ △ ?
dk7th
USA
4/22/2015  11:20 AM
fishmike wrote:
dk7th wrote:
fishmike wrote:

We need a balance.

no that ain't gonna happen fishflop. sorry this isn't a movie. you can add this to my other quotables.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
4/22/2015  11:55 AM
"I could see aldridge coming here".......

Lilly Aldridge!

dk7th
USA
4/22/2015  10:33 PM
aldridge with a very melo-like effort once again. yeeesh
holfresh
Member: #1081

4/22/2015  10:57 PM
dk7th wrote:aldridge with a very melo-like effort once again. yeeesh

The other 3 Blazers helping with the scoring were 13-44 combined..So yeah, he is like Melo in a lot of ways..

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
4/22/2015  11:01 PM
holfresh wrote:

The other 3 Blazers helping with the scoring were 13-44 combined..So yeah, he is like Melo in a lot of ways..

Yep and Matthews, Affalo, and Kamen out. The backcourt players were 8-29. Sounds familiar.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
holfresh
Member: #1081

4/22/2015  11:03 PM
He was clearly forcing shots up..But no one was helping..
blkexec
Member: #748
4/23/2015  12:59 AM
holfresh wrote:

Im afraid of repeating the melo and stat disaster, by adding these scoring bigs thats weak on defense.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
I could see Aldridge coming here

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy