I could see Aldridge coming here
Author Thread
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
4/20/2015  5:03 PM
I saw the blog and thought WTF.

I mean who says players want to win every year? Dude playing with bad thumb this season and while the season is not thier best.
Realize one bad bounce does not make for a reason to leave.

Really, we'll know who to go after when the lottery order is sorted out.

AUTOADVERT
RonRon
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #246
4/20/2015  5:07 PM
LA excels in the MID RANGE, which is a skill that is needed in the Triangle
He shoots the mid range effectively but has the ability to score effecitvely in the post, while shooting a near 50% for majority of his career, while adding 3pt range this year as well
In today's game, having the ability to stretch the floor is much needed in order to allow penetration to be an easy option for high % shot's as a weapon or leading to wide open shots

We must remember, he opted to NOT have surgery and is playing with an injury for the better of the team
While he is also a solid rebounding and decent shot blocker, his SHOT simply CANNOT be defended because of his high release point and size/length

Problem is, LA is ALL STAR caliber at OFFENSE but isn't a leader that Lilliard provided as a young rookie
So if we are do sign LA in FA thi summer, we could sign Ajincia or draft Towns/OK4 who I both believe will be closer to Center's than PF's for their careers

CA
LA
Ajincia/Towns

could all form a triangle together as all are able to play inside and out, as long as the other 2 players can shoot, as they will also have the lanes to penetrate effetively

CA
LA or Brook Lopez
Russell or Mudiay Marion Henzjoa/Justice Winslow

PG , PG/SG, SG, G/F like Danny Green/Wesley Matthewws along with Thanasis/Wesley Johnson/Gereld Green, a F like Carroll

Ajincia

Thanasis on opponents PG's with Danny Green/Wesley Matthewws/Caroll acquired with a 6m MLE or dividing it for multiple players with a small portion 1 rookie contract *like THanasiss* and 2 other solid role at aout 2-3m per year after raises on multi year deals like Gereld Green/Wesley Johnson/Derrick Williams *using Evan Turner's contract to justify the payroll or like Sessions - Bayless
Russell SG/PG, as he develops to a Curry type role, when playing PG, Russell could also learn to initiate the OFFENSE through the POST at his size/skills

CA
LA or Millsap

Ajinicia

H1AND1
Member: #5648

4/20/2015  5:27 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/20/2015  5:29 PM
yellowboy90 wrote:id rather offer Millsap money than Aldridge

Me too. Not gonna put up the same numbers as LA but at half the cost? Sign me up, close enough. Plus Milsap learned how to shoot the 3. LA cannot do that.

Wait wasn't Aldridge taken with our pick? If he does leave POR, he's headed for the Spurs. There is a not so secret rumor that they are going to go after him hard if Duncan is retiring.

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
4/20/2015  5:36 PM
knickscity wrote:
nixluva wrote:
callmened wrote:im actually worried about that. excellent player - thats without question - but hes about to enter his 30s and downhill from his prime

Like Dirk? Look Aldridge isn't a high contact player. He basically stays outside and pops shots on guys. I think his game will age very well.

Thats his game now because Stots is promoting Lillard. LMA is a post post player who can hit a jumper. His preference is down in the low block.

Even on the Block he's more of a turnaround jumper guy than a power guy. That's my main point. PnP, back to basket or face up, LA is a skilled big and not a big brute.
knickscity
Member: #4241
USA
4/20/2015  6:21 PM
nixluva wrote:
knickscity wrote:
nixluva wrote:
callmened wrote:im actually worried about that. excellent player - thats without question - but hes about to enter his 30s and downhill from his prime

Like Dirk? Look Aldridge isn't a high contact player. He basically stays outside and pops shots on guys. I think his game will age very well.

Thats his game now because Stots is promoting Lillard. LMA is a post post player who can hit a jumper. His preference is down in the low block.

Even on the Block he's more of a turnaround jumper guy than a power guy. That's my main point. PnP, back to basket or face up, LA is a skilled big and not a big brute.

Al Jefferson likes the low block and isnt a brute either. Your point of LMA being basically a jumpshooter is false, thats merely whats he's doing now, because of the team dynamic he has. I get your point about him aging well, although that can never be predicted.
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
4/20/2015  6:27 PM
nixluva wrote:
Vmart wrote:I don't think winning is as important as getting max $ amount. Portland will give him max and the extra year.

Max and the extra year are meaningless with the new TV Contract. Everyone will be signing contracts with an opt out so they can sign a more lucrative contract. Players can go where they want and still get their money.

Injuries have to be taken into consideration. Until these new contracts can be given out. If I'm Aldridge I still take 6 year max deal with Portland with a player opt out in year 2 of the contract. This way you know if an injury happens you have that 6 year contract to fall back on.

Vmart
USA
4/20/2015  6:31 PM
He is going to be 30 do you guys want to go that route again. You know by year 3 of the contact his decline will start. Go for the younger guys like Kanter, Monroe or guys you can give shorter contracts to like Millsap.
knickscity
USA
4/20/2015  6:37 PM
The players caved before, they'll cave again. The cap spike is coming, and so is the lockout. A player like Melo for instance, who is a star and knew his money wouldnt change all that much was in fear of a lockout. Players were selling their houses due to a couple of missed checks. The majority arent max salary players. They'll cave.
knicks1248
Member: #582
4/20/2015  7:01 PM
Vmart wrote:He is going to be 30 do you guys want to go that route again. You know by year 3 of the contact his decline will start. Go for the younger guys like Kanter, Monroe or guys you can give shorter contracts to like Millsap.

You can't have young guys and a young coach, that amounts to lottery yr after yr, or 1st round exits. You have a 25 million dollar melo smack dead in his prime, the time is now.

I don't think anyone is signing more than a 2 yr deal this off season, Labron already set the tone for that.

ES
nixluva
USA
4/20/2015  7:47 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
Vmart wrote:He is going to be 30 do you guys want to go that route again. You know by year 3 of the contact his decline will start. Go for the younger guys like Kanter, Monroe or guys you can give shorter contracts to like Millsap.

You can't have young guys and a young coach, that amounts to lottery yr after yr, or 1st round exits. You have a 25 million dollar melo smack dead in his prime, the time is now.

I don't think anyone is signing more than a 2 yr deal this off season, Labron already set the tone for that.

That's what I'm saying too. People have to understand that with the new TV Contract no new contract this summer is gonna be locked into a lower old contract. They'll sign and make sure to have an opt out clause so they can cash in.

RonRon
Member: #246
4/20/2015  8:20 PM

More I think of it, Marion Henzoja should be our target who likely will fall out of the TOP 5 if possible draft 2 TOP 10 potential picks, with 1 falling if we could trade CA or use our future 1st rounders to move up if we move down for 2nd *if a team overpays with 2 picks*
With his size, ability to shoot, athleticism, verastility, ability to penetrate off the dribble and finish in contact, verastility to play and defend multiple positions
With the attention of trading down in order to get him and other assets IF A TEAM WILL BE WILLING TO OVERPAY for our draft pick

I believe we can,
resign Shved while turnining down his QO, we can still resign him with his bird rights, even if we go over the cap
Using Sessions/Bayless/DJ Augustine as a guide for money

Do not overpay for talent this summer, it will be interesting what offers AJinicia will get who has a high upside and is young

PG
=======

Shved
Galloway (developing to a Billups type PG/SG and floor general, hire him as a development coach)

if we can buy low targets, especially for a swap of Tim Hardaway and change, like a 2nd rounder from Houston that we attained for Pablo...
and a trade of Tony Wroten with Tim Hardaway JR with Philly, if needed throw in a future 1st with a combination of multiple 2nd rounders and/or young guys on near minimum contracts

Randy Foye (team option, swap of Tim Hardaway JR and a 2nd rounder if needed)
Bring up Nate Walters just for BRIGGS with unguaranteed 2year deal

about 3m - 3.5m

Norris Cole RFA
Mo Williams/Jameer Nelson

SG
=======

Mario Henzoja or Justice Winslow or Russell, if we can acquire 2 of these players or 1 of these players and another top 10 pick in the process of trading down and making other moves to move up with 2nd pick
With OK4/Towns, they are good prospects, but I believe we can get the TOP guards and G/F's of the draft and sign FA's BIGS in this summer and next summer that would allow us to have a better foundation moving forward

Thanasis *with him hire Battier/Pippen to help develop him and Wesley Johnson is a player I feel would surely help him adapt and fit in with him to mentor him to the NBA*

G/F's this summer, see who drops
Danny Green/Wesley Matthewws (majority of MLE or cap space)
Gereld Green/Wesley Johnson/Will Barton/KJ McDaniels *dividing most of the MLE to 2 players*

SF/PF

CA assumming he is willing to stay and wait till we can contend if not, both PJ and CA must reconsider what is best for both the team and CA's future

DeMMaRRe Caroll *MLE type money*

cheaper guys

Jae Crowder (RFA)
Dante Cunningham
Jeremy Evans/Joe Ingles

Trade targets being

Robert Covington with some of their F's like Thomas PF, Jakarr Sampson/Glen Robinson III/Grant
Wilson Chandler/Gallo

PF

recall Orlando Sanchez who's skill sets are similar to 1st rounder Jared Sullinger
Brandon Bass for about 4m

Cheap options include

AB
Carlos Boozer

Consider Andray Blatche at about 3m - 3.5m

Hickson and Speights both have team options

Trade targets, especially with CA

Terrence Jones/DMO

PF/C

Ajinicia who has similar traits to projected 1st rounder KAT
Koufus

Lavoy Allen/Serephin/Ed Davis
Cole Aldrich *resigned with early bird rights so we can have 6m MLE to utlize*

trade targets

Meyeres Leanard
Mike Muscula

For most of these FA's have no guarantee or team options for 2017
Where we will try to sign target as much talent as possible
IF we do not do well, CA will likely reconsider being traded, especially if Houston has interest, and by 2017 we could have enough for 2-3 impact players in FA

Whiteside
Durant *if we are able to acquire Durant and things do not work out in Cleveland with Lebron, Lebron surely would reconsider joining Durant in New York to get more rings, though older, his value would be leadership/experience that he is providing in Cleveland*

Al Horford
Pau Gasol/Noah

Wilson Chandler/Gallo/Battum

DMO/Terrence Jones

Tyler Johnson/Justin Holiday/James Johnson

Vmart
USA
4/20/2015  8:24 PM
nixluva wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

That's what I'm saying too. People have to understand that with the new TV Contract no new contract this summer is gonna be locked into a lower old contract. They'll sign and make sure to have an opt out clause so they can cash in.

What about injuries? Why are you guys discounting injuries. Your going to get players playing half assed they aren't going to give the effort. No player is going to give up an extra year when they can get it and have an opt out implemented.

nixluva
USA
4/20/2015  8:39 PM
Vmart wrote:
nixluva wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

What about injuries? Why are you guys discounting injuries. Your going to get players playing half assed they aren't going to give the effort. No player is going to give up an extra year when they can get it and have an opt out implemented.

Players take the injury risk like Butler and Monroe did just to be able to cash in. I don't think players are as concerned about that one year. They bet on themselves all the time. They think they're immortal and will have a long career like Dirk or Duncan.

newyorker4ever
Member: #5816

4/20/2015  9:14 PM
fishmike wrote:He's 30 this summer and has only been out of round 1 once, and there is a good chance they get bounced again this year, so its not like he's entrenched in some great situation where they compete for a title every year.

He's a tall long jumpshooting bigman. He is literally the textbook PF for the triangle. Think Horace Grant with more scoring.

He's a good fit next to Melo. Both can stretch the floor, both can score in the post.

Yeah i don't think you should get many arguments against wanting him, but then again we do have some meatballs running around here. If he wants a better chance at not only making the playoffs but making some noise in the playoffs then he needs to get out of the west and come join the Knicks in the east. If we could get him and draft Towns and then depending on how the money is after signing LA we could add one of Danny Green, D.Carrol or even K.Middleton we'd be set.

newyorker4ever

4/20/2015  9:19 PM
franco12 wrote:he may leave portland, but we would honestly be crazy to lock up as much money as Aldridge can take (years/%) into a player the wrong side of 30.

LA can do what he does on the court and do it just as well at age 34 so i'm not down with the other side of 30 thing unless it's a running back.

dk7th
Member: #4228
USA
4/20/2015  10:38 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/20/2015  10:44 PM
terrible idea to get this guy for several reasons. he takes too many shots, he doesn't share the ball properly or playmake for others. his defense is not good enough and he isn't a leader. knicks need leadership real real bad. besides, we already have melo who has similar issues to aldridge, only amplified. acquiring aldridge would only exacerbate an existing condition.

again, dumb idea. pass.

knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
smackeddog
Member: #883
4/21/2015  3:26 AM    LAST EDITED: 4/21/2015  3:33 AM
I like his game a lot- I'm a fan of the mid range game, so I like watching him play. Not sure if we can afford him though (his max contract number is very high, making it difficult to fill out the rest of the roster). He should age okay as he's not that reliant on athleticism. Plus he shoots 100%, which should please gunsnewing:

From what Phil has said (not going after big names, importance of defense, etc etc) it's very unlikely we target him.I read his family is in Texas, so maybe the Spurs sign him.

Just out of interest, who do you prefer Kevin Love or Aldridge?

knickscity
USA
4/21/2015  4:17 AM
smackeddog wrote:

i actually prefer Love, but he hasnt looked too good this season.
newyorker4ever

4/21/2015  10:03 AM
knickscity wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

i actually prefer Love, but he hasnt looked too good this season.

Well first of all he hasn't been bad at all and second of all he's the third option on that team so of course he's not gonna put up the same type of stats he did with Minny, but he could get right back to that on the right team. I still would take LA over Love but wouldn't mind Love either as long as we surround him and Melo with defense.

callmened
Member: #4234

4/21/2015  10:16 AM
TripleThreat wrote:Yes, because the Knicks have never overpaid an aging power forward before who will choke out their cap and the contract will likely extend into the players sharp decline phase and that player won't help on defense.

Yes, the Knicks HAVE NEVER TRIED THAT ROUTE BEFORE.

lol. exactly

Knicks should be improved: win about 40 games and maybe sneak into the playoffs. Melo, Rose and even Noah will have some nice moments however this team should be about PORZINGUS. the sooner they make him the primary player, the better
I could see Aldridge coming here

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy