[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

I could see Aldridge coming here
Author Thread
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
4/20/2015  3:57 PM
He's 30 this summer and has only been out of round 1 once, and there is a good chance they get bounced again this year, so its not like he's entrenched in some great situation where they compete for a title every year.

He's a tall long jumpshooting bigman. He is literally the textbook PF for the triangle. Think Horace Grant with more scoring.

He's a good fit next to Melo. Both can stretch the floor, both can score in the post.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
AUTOADVERT
nixluva
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #758
USA
4/20/2015  4:07 PM
Yeah the one factor that most of us have not focused on is the Frustration Factor. After losing in the Playoffs good players can have a much different attitude towards their current team and the situation they're in. Another team might look like a fresh start and perhaps a better situation based on the sales job a GM does about their team. In terms of NY there's going to be a much different attitude about the team after the draft and once Melo and Phil get a player in a room and they talk about the future.

People think that Money will always be an issue but with the new TV Contract things are going to change drastically and players can take a contract with an opt out so they can sign an even bigger deal when the new Salary Cap hits. It's going to be very interesting to see how Aldridge feels after this playoffs.

franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
4/20/2015  4:09 PM
he may leave portland, but we would honestly be crazy to lock up as much money as Aldridge can take (years/%) into a player the wrong side of 30.
holfresh
Member: #1081

4/20/2015  4:11 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/20/2015  4:17 PM
I'm not sure if big name free agents will look at the Knicks as a destination to win now...The role players are an important piece to a puzzle when building a team..I'm not sure if we can say we have the right role players in place to attract a big name..It's not easy to get such players which is why Cleveland paid two first round picks to get Moz...It was absolutely dumb luck that they landed JR and Shump..

But as a duo, Melo and Aldridge can work well together in Phil's system..
StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

4/20/2015  4:17 PM
Lets be honest if he does come here it wont be because the knicks are a better playoff destination than portland especially the past 15 years. However if we get lucky in the draft maybe free agents will see some positives in coming here besides money
Knicks1969
Member: #5915

4/20/2015  4:18 PM
That dude is not made for NY. He will go to LA
Thank God Fisher is no longer our coach, now let's get Calderon out of here:)
holfresh

4/20/2015  4:19 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:Lets be honest if he does come here it wont be because the knicks are a better playoff destination than portland especially the past 15 years. However if we get lucky in the draft maybe free agents will see some positives in coming here besides money

What free agent will think a rookie will lead them to a Championship?

nixluva
USA
4/20/2015  4:20 PM
holfresh wrote:I'm not sure if big name free agents will look at the Knicks as a destination to win now...The role players are an important piece to a puzzle when building a team..I not sure if we can say we have the right role players in place to attract a big name..It's not easy to get such players which is why Cleveland paid two first round picks to get Moz...It was absolutely dumb luck that they landed JR and Shump..

But are a duo, Melo and Aldridge can work well together in Phil's system..

If i'm talking to a top free agent I'm reminding them that once they sign on, with Melo and our draft pick, it won't be hard to convince others to join. There's a momentum that get's created once you have more than one All Star on a team. Players focus on that and see themselves as part of an improving roster. I'm not saying we'll definitely get Aldridge to come here, but it looks a lot better as you walk them thru the process. Remember we would already have drafted by then and that will also add to the momentum of the team and how players look at the franchise.

Also remember this is just step one and there will be more cap space in the future to continue to add talent. Players will understand that as Phil breaks down his plan.

fishmike
USA
4/20/2015  4:22 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:Lets be honest if he does come here it wont be because the knicks are a better playoff destination than portland especially the past 15 years. However if we get lucky in the draft maybe free agents will see some positives in coming here besides money
I totally disagree. You look at the teams out west and east and which offers and easier road in the post season? Who are the powerhouses in the East? Who is winning 50 games next year? Probably Cle is a gimme with Lebron, Kyrie and of course JR Smith. After that? Atl? They were an 8th seed a year ago and half the team are FAs. Tor? They took a step back not forward. Bulls? I mean none of these teams scare you and there are only 2-3 anyway. The west is loaded and staying loaded for the forseeable future. The east you can get hot and be in the conf finals next year.
holfresh

4/20/2015  4:26 PM
nixluva wrote:
holfresh wrote:I'm not sure if big name free agents will look at the Knicks as a destination to win now...The role players are an important piece to a puzzle when building a team..I not sure if we can say we have the right role players in place to attract a big name..It's not easy to get such players which is why Cleveland paid two first round picks to get Moz...It was absolutely dumb luck that they landed JR and Shump..

But are a duo, Melo and Aldridge can work well together in Phil's system..

If i'm talking to a top free agent I'm reminding them that once they sign on, with Melo and our draft pick, it won't be hard to convince others to join. There's a momentum that get's created once you have more than one All Star on a team. Players focus on that and see themselves as part of an improving roster. I'm not saying we'll definitely get Aldridge to come here, but it looks a lot better as you walk them thru the process. Remember we would already have drafted by then and that will also add to the momentum of the team and how players look at the franchise.

Also remember this is just step one and there will be more cap space in the future to continue to add talent. Players will understand that as Phil breaks down his plan.

You also have to remember that Portland has a huge supporting cast currently and they are still only a second round team...I think getting rid of vet players and nothing in return in terms of supporting players wasn't smart...I know he tried with Calderon but that was just a bad move..

StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

4/20/2015  4:28 PM
fishmike wrote:
I totally disagree. You look at the teams out west and east and which offers and easier road in the post season? Who are the powerhouses in the East? Who is winning 50 games next year? Probably Cle is a gimme with Lebron, Kyrie and of course JR Smith. After that? Atl? They were an 8th seed a year ago and half the team are FAs. Tor? They took a step back not forward. Bulls? I mean none of these teams scare you and there are only 2-3 anyway. The west is loaded and staying loaded for the forseeable future. The east you can get hot and be in the conf finals next year.
well im hoping we get a guy like towns or russell in the draft and do well in free agency. However as big of a knick fan as i am im just trying to be objective. We have a long road ahead of us before we can even think conference finals
Vmart
Member: #247
USA
4/20/2015  4:28 PM
I don't think winning is as important as getting max $ amount. Portland will give him max and the extra year.
nixluva
USA
4/20/2015  4:31 PM
Vmart wrote:I don't think winning is as important as getting max $ amount. Portland will give him max and the extra year.

Max and the extra year are meaningless with the new TV Contract. Everyone will be signing contracts with an opt out so they can sign a more lucrative contract. Players can go where they want and still get their money.

fishmike
USA
4/20/2015  4:32 PM
Vmart wrote:I don't think winning is as important as getting max $ amount. Portland will give him max and the extra year.
He'll get the Bosh contract. I cant disagree. But I do think he will consider coming.
callmened
Member: #4234

4/20/2015  4:32 PM
im actually worried about that. excellent player - thats without question - but hes about to enter his 30s and downhill from his prime
Knicks should be improved: win about 40 games and maybe sneak into the playoffs. Melo, Rose and even Noah will have some nice moments however this team should be about PORZINGUS. the sooner they make him the primary player, the better
nixluva
USA
4/20/2015  4:35 PM
callmened wrote:im actually worried about that. excellent player - thats without question - but hes about to enter his 30s and downhill from his prime

Like Dirk? Look Aldridge isn't a high contact player. He basically stays outside and pops shots on guys. I think his game will age very well.

yellowboy90
Member: #3538

4/20/2015  4:40 PM
id rather offer Millsap money than Aldridge
JrZyHuStLa
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1241

4/20/2015  4:44 PM
fishmike wrote:

We said the same thing before this season began too. It's not hard for things to go completely the other way, no matter how "wide open" the East looks.

callmened
Member: #4234

4/20/2015  4:50 PM
nixluva wrote:
callmened wrote:im actually worried about that. excellent player - thats without question - but hes about to enter his 30s and downhill from his prime

Like Dirk? Look Aldridge isn't a high contact player. He basically stays outside and pops shots on guys. I think his game will age very well.

fair point. i just hard to trust investing in a PF past his prime

Knicks should be improved: win about 40 games and maybe sneak into the playoffs. Melo, Rose and even Noah will have some nice moments however this team should be about PORZINGUS. the sooner they make him the primary player, the better
knickscity
Member: #4241
USA
4/20/2015  4:53 PM
nixluva wrote:

Thats his game now because Stots is promoting Lillard. LMA is a post post player who can hit a jumper. His preference is down in the low block.
I could see Aldridge coming here

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy