The Case for Emmanuel Mudiay
Author Thread
smackeddog
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #883
5/21/2015  11:31 AM
mreinman wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
blkexec wrote:Mudiay is perfect for the sixers. And his games fits. He's able to be that trible double guy, since he will play a rusell westbrook role. And he's said this himself that he prefers sixers offense, since they will be up and down....pick and roll. Plus he's long enough to cause problems on most PG's.

Russell is better fit for the triangle. Russell will never be on Mudiay's level as far as defense. He will never be on Steph Curry's level as far as offense. But he doesn't have to have the ball in his hands to be affective. So I see Russell as a perfect SG for Phils triangle. To be successful in this system, you have to be able to shoot, pass and play off the ball. Thats Russells game. Thats not Mudiay's game.

The only way Mudiay is picked, is if Phil thinks he's the next Kobe or MJ, as far as his impact on the game. Otherwise, Mudiay is not a fit for the triangle. The triangle is perfect for players who can't create their own shot, and has IQ to make the right pass, or simply make the right play. To me, the triangle will restrict Mudiay's impact similar to what it did with JR Smith. Mudiay is an instinctful player who needs the ball in his hands to be affective. Perfect for the sixers. We will not see the impact of Mudiay's game until Phil and Melo are gone.

The sixers will act like they are picking Russell, just to see who will overpay for him in a trade. Someone like the knicks, who might want to swop picks 3 and 4. Since we are giving away tallent already, I can see Phil doing a lopsided trade with the sixers. But I would call their bluff, because I think they are picking Mudiay anyway. He's NBA ready while Russell is just a cute SG with PG passing skills and limited defensive skills or athleticism. Mudiay with some NBA strength training, might be in the dunk contest in a few years. He has that kind of potential....triple double type player.

Knicks win with either pick.....Mudiay or Russell. Lets just hope we are not passing on a potential all star in Winslow, WCS or the 7ft Euro guy (sleeper).

Mudiay is about to get the mreinman seal of approval too! This from the Philly article:

2. He’s an analytics guy!
Oh my God, Hinkie must love this kid!
Here is Lukas Peng, a scout in China on Mudiay via Nurse’s article.
“It’s very rare in China to see someone consciously look for highly-efficient analytical offensive situations – corner three-point shooters, rim attacks and dives, and even finding the open man in their best scoring position in transition like Mudiay does.”

I know that Hinkie scouted him pretty well.

I would still be SHOCKED if he passes on Russell for him

My gut feeling is still that Hinkie will draft him (upside, makes the MCW trade timing make a more sense,etc)- ether way, it will be nice to have a shot at him, Russell or some other player.

AUTOADVERT
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
5/21/2015  11:51 AM
After the shock of missing out on Towns or Okafor, it's not settling in that Russell or Mudiay isn't bad at all. If that's what we end up with and Phil doesn't trade the pick, which I doubt he will, then this team should add a VERY good piece for the future. I think all Knicks fans will be happy with that result.
Moonangie
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #2788

5/21/2015  12:10 PM
nixluva wrote:After the shock of missing out on Towns or Okafor, it's not settling in that Russell or Mudiay isn't bad at all. If that's what we end up with and Phil doesn't trade the pick, which I doubt he will, then this team should add a VERY good piece for the future. I think all Knicks fans will be happy with that result.

I had Russell on my board more or less tied with OK4 at #2, with Mudiay at #3. In my mind, we're getting a top 3 pick regardless of which among those four players becomes a Knick.

I am excited by the prospects of a franchise-changing talent. In fact, my best plan for us moving forward is to maximize Melo's value NOW by trading him to the Lakers and going full rebuild. I'd LOVE to see the triangle with a Towns/OK4 + Russell/Mudiay tandem five years from now.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
5/21/2015  12:17 PM
I don't know why but I am liking the prospect of Mudiay but only because I see a backcourt of Mudiay and Thanasis if, and it's obviously a HUGE if, both players can pan out. That's a very tall, defensive backcourt that can bring a lot of pain to other teams defensively. Both players obviously have to up their game big time to get range offensively.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
gunsnewing
Member: #215
USA
5/21/2015  12:20 PM
That would be great but Thanasis might still be growing like his brother
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

5/21/2015  12:27 PM
martin wrote:I don't know why but I am liking the prospect of Mudiay but only because I see a backcourt of Mudiay and Thanasis if, and it's obviously a HUGE if, both players can pan out. That's a very tall, defensive backcourt that can bring a lot of pain to other teams defensively. Both players obviously have to up their game big time to get range offensively.

Scary on D, but potentially awkward on offense.

I think Mudiay will develop as a shooter, especially his midrange game and those little split the defender pull ups that Paul can hit, but I'm not sure Thanasis will ever become a comfortable and dependable shooter from the outside.

I'd love to see what Thanasis is doing now to improve his stock.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
mreinman
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3189

5/21/2015  12:31 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:
martin wrote:I don't know why but I am liking the prospect of Mudiay but only because I see a backcourt of Mudiay and Thanasis if, and it's obviously a HUGE if, both players can pan out. That's a very tall, defensive backcourt that can bring a lot of pain to other teams defensively. Both players obviously have to up their game big time to get range offensively.

I think Mudiay will develop as a shooter, especially his midrange game and those little split the defender pull ups that Paul can hit, but I'm not sure Thanasis will ever become a comfortable and dependable shooter from the outside.

why do you think Mudiay will develop as a shooter? There are so many guards who just never develop a consistent jumper no matter how much time they put in.

Maybe he will but hard to predict.

A backcourt of Mudiay and Thanasis can potentially be the worst shooting backcourt in the NBA (by a lot).

Washington at least have Beal to go with Wall but they are not considered a good shooting backcourt at all.

so here is what phil is thinking ....
gunsnewing
Member: #215
USA
5/21/2015  12:35 PM
Westbrook isn't necessarily a good shooter either
nixluva
USA
5/21/2015  12:37 PM
mreinman wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:

why do you think Mudiay will develop as a shooter? There are so many guards who just never develop a consistent jumper no matter how much time they put in.

A backcourt of Mudiay and Thanasis can potentially be the worst shooting backcourt in the NBA (by a lot).

Washington at least have Beal to go with Wall but they are not considered a good shooting backcourt at all.

There are a lot of examples of recent guards who have improved their jump shot. CP3, Wall, DRose in particular have made improvements. This doesn't mean he has to achieve Steph Curry levels.
mreinman

5/21/2015  12:40 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/21/2015  12:42 PM
nixluva wrote:
mreinman wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:

There are a lot of examples of recent guards who have improved their jump shot. CP3, Wall, DRose in particular have made improvements. This doesn't mean he has to achieve Steph Curry levels.

yes. one can improve of course and some can take 1000 shots a day and still have a crappy jump shot.

Once a player is at this level, I would hope that they already have a solid jump shot.

Mudiay has a really wierd hitch and Thanasis just can't shoot the ball.

Also, todays game heavily relies on the three. There are so many players who just can't hit that shot with consistency (wall, wade, parker, rondo), however, if you can't hit the three as a guard, you better be off the charts in your 2 point efficiency or at least be able to pass like jason kidd.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

5/21/2015  12:45 PM

Thanasis needs to prove he can hit shot outside outside of six feet before we can even start envisioning as a rotation guy. Can you imagine how packed in opposing defenses will be if we rolled out a Mudiay/Thanasis backcourt?
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
FistOfOakley
Member: #3075

5/21/2015  12:49 PM
i don't understand why ppl seem to think mudiay is going to be the pick... there's nothing to suggest that phil even likes pg's like him...
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

5/21/2015  12:58 PM
mreinman wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:

You look at his shot, and the form/timing seems good. I remember watching Tyreke Evans before the draft, and was really concerned with his shooting form. His lack of success from the 3 was not hard to predict. I don't get the same feeling with Mudiay. Not saying he'll be a knock down shooter from long range, but I don't see anything in his form that would automatically limit his success.

With young superior athletes like Mudiay, and many others, they don;t have to develop their jumper when they're young because they can dominate in other ways.

Although a guard, Mudiay has good size (his dad was 6'10"- wonder if Mudiay was always taller for his age)and quickness- have to figure that he did not need that outside shot as much as some when he was developing. He's also a PG, maybe even a little old school- so perhaps between driving and passing he did not need to work on his J as much. His form tells me that someone worked with him while he was young.

I do feel that his FT shooting is problematic- I would expect 70% at a minimum from a guy like him at this point, and would want him to be at 80% eventually, since I expect him to get to the foul line a lot. Again- there seems to be nothing with his stroke that should keep him from being a better FT shooter.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
BigRedDog
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #569
5/21/2015  1:03 PM
FistOfOakley wrote:i don't understand why ppl seem to think mudiay is going to be the pick... there's nothing to suggest that phil even likes pg's like him...

I agree. IMO no way do the Knicks pick Mudiay unless he blows them away in a tryout. Way too much of a risk and will take too long to develop him.

Briggs-- Frank is 2 yrs away from being 2 years away
smackeddog
5/21/2015  1:07 PM
mreinman wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:

why do you think Mudiay will develop as a shooter?

Why do think he won't? Some players improve their shooting, some don't- it could go either way

smackeddog
5/21/2015  1:08 PM
FistOfOakley wrote:i don't understand why ppl seem to think mudiay is going to be the pick... there's nothing to suggest that phil even likes pg's like him...

I agree- WCS and Winslow are still distinct possibilities

nixluva
USA
5/21/2015  1:26 PM
Mudiay is a combo guard that has serious PG skills. He's not just a pure PG. So YES Phil does like players like that. In fact Phil LOVES Steph Curry and singled him out as a player he felt he could coach and have success with before he took the Knicks job. Phil loves big guards as Shved was a prime example of how Phil wants his guards to play.
FistOfOakley
Member: #3075

5/21/2015  1:28 PM
he likes big guards but not big guards who have spotty jumpers who need the ball in their hands... he's not a guy who can play off the ball...
mreinman

5/21/2015  2:11 PM
smackeddog wrote:
mreinman wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:

why do you think Mudiay will develop as a shooter?

Why do think he won't? Some players improve their shooting, some don't- it could go either way

I would think that if a guy is not a good shooter, then chances are that it will remain a weakness.

but yes, some do and some dont

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
5/21/2015  2:25 PM
FistOfOakley wrote:he likes big guards but not big guards who have spotty jumpers who need the ball in their hands... he's not a guy who can play off the ball...

The lead guards in Phil's systems have never played off the ball, so I don't know why that would matter. Both Kobe and Jordan liked and wanted the ball in their hands, so I don't know why Mudiay couldn't be that same player but more of a PG.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
The Case for Emmanuel Mudiay

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy