[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

The Case for Emmanuel Mudiay
Author Thread
Moonangie
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #2788

5/24/2015  1:23 PM
blkexec wrote:My problem with Mudiay is not him......its the knick lack of player development due to the coach....the fans.....and the history.

Knick fans arent patient enough for this pick.

Fisher is not a player development coach.

If we draft Mudiay....he will be injury prone because he will try and do too much due to fan and media pressure. This is not the right environment for Mudiay to reach his potential. The ball will be in Melos hand. He will be the first guy down the floor like shump used to do....just to pull up and wait for others. He will shine in Philly because its a free flowing offense that doesnt require thinking. Mudiay is the better tallent...i agree. But Winslow is the better pick. With any other team....Mudiay is the right pick. Look what happened to all the young dynamic guards we drafted. This is not a culture for rookies with flaws and a game thats not mature yet.

The knicks are like erotion soil. Thats why vets are the only plants to survive. Mudiay will look like shump with us....and Jason Kidd on any other team. The sad and honest truth. Real knick fans that understand please stand up. Mudiay will look like a superstar after his contract is up and hes on a another team. History tells us how this story will end. We need picks with mature game that are glue or system guys like Winslow.....Someone who going to shine right out the gate. Our daycare center has been terrible for over 20 years. No patiences for Mudiay here. I wish i was wrong...but we have to be honest with ourselves.

I am weary of letting Knick history dictate how we move forward. It's over 40 years of futility...time to take a "new" direction. Best player available is who we draft, not cultural or system fit.

Mudiay will likely be the BPA @ number 4. We pick Mudiay.

AUTOADVERT
Moonangie

5/24/2015  1:24 PM
blkexec wrote:
knickscity wrote:Blaming fans is ridiculous and honestly giving a group with no effect at all way too much credit.

Unless you can prove it otherwise, I can only go by what I've seen so far....You can go back as far as you like, up until recent with THj. I don't have faith in the knick coaching staff to develop young talent. And you may be a patient fan, but the knicks have more fans than you. And these young players are attached to social media all the time. It takes a special player (especially a young player) to survive all of the negativity he will get from everybody, including fans. I think you are underestimating the power of fans who control how much money Dolan makes, which forces Dolan into making dumb decisions. I don't trust Fisher's development skills, since he's still learning on the job on how to win games. Melo and Phil only have a small timeline to turn this ship around, so they don't have patiences to give a rookie a lot of playing time, if they are 2 years away from being an impact player, as some of us have said in this forum. Since Mudiay could be more valuable to other teams, why not use him as trade bait? Unless you see him as the next Kobe Bryant or MJ.....Then you keep him. I don't see it under the current management and culture we have right now.

If the window is too small, trade Melo, don't foreclose on the future.

blkexec
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #748
5/24/2015  1:29 PM
Moonangie wrote:
blkexec wrote:
knickscity wrote:Blaming fans is ridiculous and honestly giving a group with no effect at all way too much credit.

Unless you can prove it otherwise, I can only go by what I've seen so far....You can go back as far as you like, up until recent with THj. I don't have faith in the knick coaching staff to develop young talent. And you may be a patient fan, but the knicks have more fans than you. And these young players are attached to social media all the time. It takes a special player (especially a young player) to survive all of the negativity he will get from everybody, including fans. I think you are underestimating the power of fans who control how much money Dolan makes, which forces Dolan into making dumb decisions. I don't trust Fisher's development skills, since he's still learning on the job on how to win games. Melo and Phil only have a small timeline to turn this ship around, so they don't have patiences to give a rookie a lot of playing time, if they are 2 years away from being an impact player, as some of us have said in this forum. Since Mudiay could be more valuable to other teams, why not use him as trade bait? Unless you see him as the next Kobe Bryant or MJ.....Then you keep him. I don't see it under the current management and culture we have right now.

Thanks to our wonderful ROOKIE GM...Melo has a no trade clause.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
fwk00
Member: #6048

5/24/2015  1:32 PM
blkexec wrote:
nixluva wrote:
technomaster wrote:http://www.slamonline.com/the-magazine/features/2014-slam-high-school-all-americans/#30+71dec129cb

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/class/2014/order/true

A few lists.

A question is whether mudiay's exposure to a higher level of competition has seemingly hurt him vs Russell, whose year in college and brought him up to an elite level. (Relatively speaking a year of college has dropped tyus Jones a bit, tho you cannot teach height and perhaps that's the reality of the nba).

Mudiay gets dinged mostly because he got hurt and only played in 13 or so games. Those games in my opinion came against stronger competition than college, against grown men and former nba players who don't want to get punked by an 18 year old hotshot.

In December/jan, Russell still wasn't being talked about - but he came on strong, we can certainly give him credit for that. To be clear, given the choice I'd take russell given the larger same size for my eyes. But mudiay could easily be the better pro.

With respect to player dev, I think fisher takes e Knicks to another level, given his work as the veteran sage for guys like Deron Williams and Westbrook and reggie Jackson.

I think people forget what Fisher's history has been in the league. He has been lauded by every teammate he's played with as a guy that helped them and guided them. There is a contingent of posters who want to kick dirt on Fish even tho there are signs he has talent as a leader. His team hung tough all year. They may have lost games but they were going hard all year and when the team started to win a couple of games people dissed Fish, but didn't give him his due as a coach with very little talent getting his team to play hard. You can't have it both ways.

IMO Fish most definitely could've won more games with more talent. Guys were executing as best they could but you can't magically turn low talent players into stars. I think Fish will do well with better talent. I think he'd be a good coach for Russell, Winslow or Mudiay.

I loved fisher and phil before they became cursed by Dolan. Ever since they cut Ewing...anybody that touches this organization goes down fast.....

Dolan has been used as a whipping boy for a long time. Beating that dead horse brings nothing to the conversation. Phil and his team are on their own and know what they want. They are starting from ground zero thanks to an unforeseeable early season meltdown. This is the end of year one of a five year journey.

and the Knicks organization has been misused for over a decade for the Ewing debacle. This year the Knicks accepted no aging superstars with mysterious injuries, they made no perpetually punishing bad trades, and the roster is clean.

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
5/24/2015  1:34 PM
newyorker4ever wrote:
dk7th wrote:mudiay as a shooter is worrisome. he has bad form on his shot: 58%FT and 30% from 3 is a red flag. 54.5% from 2 means he's a slasher only... bfd

mudiay as a ballhandler gets 6 assists but 3 turnovers per game is a red flag-- those turnovers are from telegraphing passes

lastly, and most importantly, the level of competition in the chinese league and high school all-america-- is this is a good gauge? red flag.

and then he skips the draft combine....

NO THANKS!

I'm a fan of the kid but the shooting is a huge red flag and there's no guarantees that it can be fixed. If he's our starting PG then what are we gonna do with him in the 4th quarter of a close game when we're in situations that the other team is gonna start fouling our guys to put them on the line? He's our PG so he's gonna have the ball in his hands but we can't even trust him to make two shots from the foul line. That's a big red flag. I really do like the kid and obviously won't be mad if he's our pick but he's gonna have to put in the work on fixing his shot and that's a big part of evaluations that nobody can predict is if he'll put the work in. Of course he's gonna say he'll put the work in cause he's trying to get us to draft him but we won't know until we see it. Again i'm not gonna be mad with him being the pick but Winslow and Porzingis are right there with him for me.

Mudiay has been at Impact Basketball for a while now and they have a pretty serious program. I doubt highly that he's not putting in the work. From everything i've seen of the kid he looks like he's gonna be fine in terms of his shot. He should be able to improve.
smackeddog
Member: #883
5/24/2015  1:38 PM
blkexec wrote:
Moonangie wrote:
blkexec wrote:

It's a basic courtesy to FAs signing their last max contract, if we had traded him to a **** team he didn't want to go to after signing him it would not play well with other veterans and their agents.

newyorker4ever
Member: #5816

5/24/2015  1:39 PM
nixluva wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:
dk7th wrote:mudiay as a shooter is worrisome. he has bad form on his shot: 58%FT and 30% from 3 is a red flag. 54.5% from 2 means he's a slasher only... bfd

mudiay as a ballhandler gets 6 assists but 3 turnovers per game is a red flag-- those turnovers are from telegraphing passes

lastly, and most importantly, the level of competition in the chinese league and high school all-america-- is this is a good gauge? red flag.

NO THANKS!

I'm a fan of the kid but the shooting is a huge red flag and there's no guarantees that it can be fixed. If he's our starting PG then what are we gonna do with him in the 4th quarter of a close game when we're in situations that the other team is gonna start fouling our guys to put them on the line? He's our PG so he's gonna have the ball in his hands but we can't even trust him to make two shots from the foul line. That's a big red flag. I really do like the kid and obviously won't be mad if he's our pick but he's gonna have to put in the work on fixing his shot and that's a big part of evaluations that nobody can predict is if he'll put the work in. Of course he's gonna say he'll put the work in cause he's trying to get us to draft him but we won't know until we see it. Again i'm not gonna be mad with him being the pick but Winslow and Porzingis are right there with him for me.

Mudiay has been at Impact Basketball for a while now and they have a pretty serious program. I doubt highly that he's not putting in the work. From everything i've seen of the kid he looks like he's gonna be fine in terms of his shot. He should be able to improve.

Ummmmmmmm yes i understand that and i was clearly talking about after he was drafted not about what he's doing now.
RonRon
Member: #246
5/24/2015  1:44 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/24/2015  1:46 PM
The Triangle is interchangable and with Isiah Thomas lurking, Dolan is flexing and letting him know his patience is running thin as he sees all the success these former Knicks having in the post seasons
So if Mudiay does show in fact he has STAR POTENTIAL and Winslow is a role player, I think it would be the end of the Phil Jackson era shortly after...

At some point we NEED TOP TIER TALENTS as the Triangle always had
We do not have those type of players and Muddiay has the potential to be that type of player

We do not have Kobe/Shaq, Kobe/Gasol/Bynum/Odom, Jordan/Pippen/Kukoc/Rodman

So picking role players to fit a system without those 2way versatile STAR TALENTS that had the ability to score/penetrate/post up as #1 and #2 options, that was why they didn't need a PG
Who do we have that is comparable to those TOP TEIR TALENTS?

Not saying Muddiay will be Westbrook but Westbrook shot 50% in his freshman year at college and was horrible at Muddiay's age as well
How hard a player puts in to the work/work ethic and having the right players/fit to push with them, along with a development staff to help them reach their ceilings and work on their weakness's is what makes Curry, Westbrook, Durant, Butler etc...

fwk00

5/24/2015  1:50 PM
newyorker4ever wrote:

NO THANKS!

This is a PG league (no revelation there). The FA PGs are all looking for big dollars based on limited playing time and less than All Star credentials. IMO, Shved/Gallo are as good as the FA market players and much more inexpensive. Drafting Mudiay adds a potential franchise player to that PG by committee. You would play them in complementary fashion. If it takes two years for Mudiay to become a shooter who cares? What he brings is a selfless distributor, great passer, penetration of the lane, Hardin-like foul magnet. Gallo isn't shy about shooting the three.

Nothing wrong with a lot of players ranked lower and the debate is worthwhile. I just think the criticism of Mudiay at his age is over-the-top. He's not a finished product but he looks like a hungry, hard-working lunch-pail kid bringing home the bacon for momma.

That said, I also like Terry Rozier a lot. If we can get a second pick and draft him then by all means draft Winslow or Porzingis or someone else.

fwk00

5/24/2015  1:52 PM
blkexec wrote:
Moonangie wrote:
blkexec wrote:

He wanted that so that he could approve of a trading destination not so he could not be traded. It doesn't mean a lot.

fwk00

5/24/2015  2:06 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/24/2015  2:10 PM
RonRon wrote:The Triangle is interchangable and with Isiah Thomas lurking, Dolan is flexing and letting him know his patience is running thin as he sees all the success these former Knicks having in the post seasons
So if Mudiay does show in fact he has STAR POTENTIAL and Winslow is a role player, I think it would be the end of the Phil Jackson era shortly after...

At some point we NEED TOP TIER TALENTS as the Triangle always had
We do not have those type of players and Muddiay has the potential to be that type of player

We do not have Kobe/Shaq, Kobe/Gasol/Bynum/Odom, Jordan/Pippen/Kukoc/Rodman

So picking role players to fit a system without those 2way versatile STAR TALENTS that had the ability to score/penetrate/post up as #1 and #2 options, that was why they didn't need a PG
Who do we have that is comparable to those TOP TEIR TALENTS?

Not saying Muddiay will be Westbrook but Westbrook shot 50% in his freshman year at college and was horrible at Muddiay's age as well
How hard a player puts in to the work/work ethic and having the right players/fit to push with them, along with a development staff to help them reach their ceilings and work on their weakness's is what makes Curry, Westbrook, Durant, Butler etc...

People who want to eternally flog Dolan and Isiah need a separate thread. They have nothing to do with this draft. Nothing.

Everyone here buys plenty of product from real corporate monsters with no apologies - bankers who rip us off - food service people who destroy our food supply, and so on. To complain that a disingenuous woman walked into a Men's league (not MENSA - the NBA where IQs register at 60) and found it offensive isn't worth complaining about. So she won some money which is probably all she wanted anyway doesn't make Isiah a monster. Maybe he chased some tail and got burned, BFD.

The guy who shot the handcuffed Vietnamese prisoner in the famous photograph from the Vietnam War now sells pizza in Georgia. Life ain't fair.

Isaiah is a fine basketball mind. Dolan wants to win. They aren't evil. They aren't stealing the bread off your table. Get off their case. Isola sells this hate mantra as if its meat to hungry carnivores. Get a grip.

I think you are spot on in advocating for talent over utility.

blkexec
5/24/2015  2:31 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12417221/opponents-analyze-emmanuel-mudiay-strengths-weaknesses-outlook-nba-draft

If you have nba insider....please post this article. Its old but it has some scouting info on mudiay from a close nba player thats been with him overseas other than marbury.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
dk7th
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #4228
USA
5/24/2015  2:56 PM
newyorker4ever wrote:

NO THANKS!

there is one website that has him ranked anywhere from 5th to 10th... but of course we need to take any of these sites with a grain of salt:

http://deanondraft.com/2015/04/03/2015-big-board-how-do-we-rate-mudiay/

knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
5/24/2015  3:05 PM
blkexec wrote:http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12417221/opponents-analyze-emmanuel-mudiay-strengths-weaknesses-outlook-nba-draft

If you have nba insider....please post this article. Its old but it has some scouting info on mudiay from a close nba player thats been with him overseas other than marbury.

Also if you have Insider please post the Fraschilla breakdown of mudiays game. I believe it is from March.
Also, does anyone know why Insider isn't posted on draftnets forum anymore?
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
5/24/2015  3:21 PM
dk7th wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:

NO THANKS!

there is one website that has him ranked anywhere from 5th to 10th... but of course we need to take any of these sites with a grain of salt:

http://deanondraft.com/2015/04/03/2015-big-board-how-do-we-rate-mudiay/

That is an interesting site. But most of his stuff is about last years draft. The article about this years draft is from April 3. Still it appears he went to the Las Vegas summer leagues last year and writes up on what he saw. I will definitely check back to see what he has to say as it gets closer to the draft.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Moonangie

5/24/2015  6:57 PM
blkexec wrote:
Moonangie wrote:
blkexec wrote:

Yeah, which truly sucks. But let's face it, a player of his calibre always has one.

Hopefully, Phil can work out a good deal with the Lakers and then convince Kobe to go one more year. If it nets us Towns, I am willing to let them take Melo a bit cheaper than he might otherwise be worth. Of course, we'd need at least another unprotected first rounder, maybe a second and some role players for salary matching,

blkexec
5/24/2015  7:13 PM
After recently watching more video of Mudiay. Granted I've watched him earlier in the season, just in case we would be in this position. I also watched Winslow, who's the exact same height. And Mudiay is definitely the better talent, and should be the pick at 4....The only problem is I don't see him starting, which isn't bad for his development, but it still leaves the same amount of open sports in our starting lineup. He's not starting over Calderson, or Shev'd who could also move over to the 2 guard. It's still interesting they compare Winslow to Harden, but it's probably because they are both lefty and have the same Euro step move to the paint. But Winslow is no Harden.

Mudiay has that take over ability, all the great Laker or Bulls guards has. It's just from the PG position with his penetrate and passing skills, especially during transition. Fisher might be a good coach for him, since they are both PG's. I like how Mudiay can balance his scoring and passing, while looking normal at it. Verses Marbury in his prime and other scoring guards would pass as a last option. Sometimes it's Mudiay's first option.

Again, I just saw highlight video's which is never a good thing to do. But his highlights shows his high ceiling, if he continues to improve and get stronger. Jumper looks good to me, just needs some normal tweeking and reps in the off season, and he would be straight. Winslow needs a little more to become a shooter off the dribble. Mudiay has the right length to be a good defender as well. I see a little John Wall in him, just a notch slower and more of a PG than Wall was as a scoring PG.

It couldve been worse....Whoever is picking 5th is in trouble. The talent level starts to drop off significantly.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

5/24/2015  7:30 PM
Moonangie wrote:
blkexec wrote:
Moonangie wrote:
blkexec wrote:

Yeah, which truly sucks. But let's face it, a player of his calibre always has one.

Hopefully, Phil can work out a good deal with the Lakers and then convince Kobe to go one more year. If it nets us Towns, I am willing to let them take Melo a bit cheaper than he might otherwise be worth. Of course, we'd need at least another unprotected first rounder, maybe a second and some role players for salary matching,

You offer Melo a trade to team with a real shot at a ring in the near future and I bet he jumps at the opportunity.

jbeachboy
Member: #6050

5/24/2015  7:47 PM
blkexec wrote:After recently watching more video of Mudiay. Granted I've watched him earlier in the season, just in case we would be in this position. I also watched Winslow, who's the exact same height. And Mudiay is definitely the better talent, and should be the pick at 4....The only problem is I don't see him starting, which isn't bad for his development, but it still leaves the same amount of open sports in our starting lineup. He's not starting over Calderson, or Shev'd who could also move over to the 2 guard. It's still interesting they compare Winslow to Harden, but it's probably because they are both lefty and have the same Euro step move to the paint. But Winslow is no Harden.

Mudiay has that take over ability, all the great Laker or Bulls guards has. It's just from the PG position with his penetrate and passing skills, especially during transition. Fisher might be a good coach for him, since they are both PG's. I like how Mudiay can balance his scoring and passing, while looking normal at it. Verses Marbury in his prime and other scoring guards would pass as a last option. Sometimes it's Mudiay's first option.

Again, I just saw highlight video's which is never a good thing to do. But his highlights shows his high ceiling, if he continues to improve and get stronger. Jumper looks good to me, just needs some normal tweeking and reps in the off season, and he would be straight. Winslow needs a little more to become a shooter off the dribble. Mudiay has the right length to be a good defender as well. I see a little John Wall in him, just a notch slower and more of a PG than Wall was as a scoring PG.

It couldve been worse....Whoever is picking 5th is in trouble. The talent level starts to drop off significantly.

mudiay is better talent over winslow but he isnt starting, why are they drafting him then?

get winslow, he can defend 4 positions!

blkexec
5/24/2015  7:49 PM
jbeachboy wrote:
blkexec wrote:After recently watching more video of Mudiay. Granted I've watched him earlier in the season, just in case we would be in this position. I also watched Winslow, who's the exact same height. And Mudiay is definitely the better talent, and should be the pick at 4....The only problem is I don't see him starting, which isn't bad for his development, but it still leaves the same amount of open sports in our starting lineup. He's not starting over Calderson, or Shev'd who could also move over to the 2 guard. It's still interesting they compare Winslow to Harden, but it's probably because they are both lefty and have the same Euro step move to the paint. But Winslow is no Harden.

mudiay is better talent over winslow but he isnt starting, why are they drafting him then?

get winslow, he can defend 4 positions!

Simple fix...get rid of Calderon.

The Case for Emmanuel Mudiay

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy